Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pec Injury

• 09-11-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Question for ye. Never had any noticeable difference between muscles on different sides but this week I noticed the left side of my chest is much weaker than right side. Noticed when doing isolation exercises.

I don't have any pain per se and can't remember anything that would account for an injury but there is definitely an issue. When I tense both sides the left is noticeably soft compared to the right.

Anyone any ideas whats going on ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well you're not allowed medical advice on boards.ie, so I'll steer away from that.

I'm in the process of rehabilitating a Grade III tear of my left pec.. My left pec was more or less torn completely off my arm bone, it was a completely debilitating injury and I'd find it hard to believe you've come even close to it.

How long how you been training?.. Maybe its just a legging muscle?..

You'd really need a pec tear assessed by a chartered physiotherapist if you suspect a pec tear and NOT your family GP (he won't have a clue, trust me on this).

Google image search pec tears and you'll see the typical deformities associated with the injury. If you still suspect a pec tear go see the physio ASAP and don't waste your time with a GP or an internet forum.

*** of course there are different grades of tear, and different treatments and recovery times. A physio will access a grade of tear and the treatment required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What Mak said.

But also - look at shoulder stability on the left side.

If your left shoulder isn't being "controlled" properly the pec will never get a chance to work the way it should because your body "knows" that it's unsafe to do so.

It's hard to offer much more than that without seeing it, but my guess would be fixing shoulder stability will fix the problem.

"Shoulder stability" is a catch all for scapula stabilisation, rotator cuff strength and a number of other things by the way.

Best bet is to go to a good sports physio, outline the problem and do what they say.

In the absence of a traumatic once off event that causes a pec tear, most pec problems come down to that anyway in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Thanks for the feedback guys

Been training solidly for 18 months so definitely not a lagging muscle. There is definitely something going on.

So I will get myself off to a sports physio as you suggest

In the meantime should I avoid all training or would say an arm workout be ok to go with ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys

Been training solidly for 18 months so definitely not a lagging muscle. There is definitely something going on.

So I will get myself off to a sports physio as you suggest

In the meantime should I avoid all training or would say an arm workout be ok to go with ?

That's a very dangerous assumption to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Hanley wrote: »
    That's a very dangerous assumption to make.

Ok well not saying they are exactly equal but lets say last week I was doing dumbell bench press and flyes and was able to use the same weight on both sides and suddenly this week I can't even use half the weight for the same number of reps on the left side.

So something out of the ordinary is definitely after happening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Ok well not saying they are exactly equal but lets say last week I was doing dumbell bench press and flyes and was able to use the same weight on both sides and suddenly this week I can't even use half the weight for the same number of reps on the left side.

So something out of the ordinary is definitely after happening

If the change is so big, so sudden I personally wouldn't be seeking help from the internet. And I probably wouldn't be training either, esp if there's pain, swelling or bruising.

I'd be seeking medical advice.

Advertisement