Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a 1.8 ohm coil help

• 09-11-2016 11:49pm

Hey,

Im using an rba and bought some pre made wire coils that were 1.8 ohm. The problem is the wire is crazy thin and literally gets destroyed pulling the cotton through but I have made it work and been using it fine for a while.

I have now bought a new tank with rba that looks like it will be too hard to pull the cotton through such a wire. I know you can make any ohm coil out of wire any size but basically I'm wondering what thickness wire will be sturdy enough that it will easily take the cotton through it without bending but be able to make a 1.8 ohm coil without a stupid amount of wraps that won't fit width wise in an rba.

I.e what's the thickest wire I could use so make it easy to pull the cotton through and wire the rba without it being too many wraps to fit in

If it helps I've been using the pre but wire in a kanger top tank which is quite easy to rebuilt, the new tank is a joy tech with a joy tech rba which look like the will be too hard to rebuild with this ultra thin wire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

Hey,

Im using an rba and bought some pre made wire coils that were 1.8 ohm. The problem is the wire is crazy thin and literally gets destroyed pulling the cotton through but I have made it work and been using it fine for a while.

I have now bought a new tank with rba that looks like it will be too hard to pull the cotton through such a wire. I know you can make any ohm coil out of wire any size but basically I'm wondering what thickness wire will be sturdy enough that it will easily take the cotton through it without bending but be able to make a 1.8 ohm coil without a stupid amount of wraps that won't fit width wise in an rba.

I.e what's the thickest wire I could use so make it easy to pull the cotton through and wire the rba without it being too many wraps to fit in

If it helps I've been using the pre but wire in a kanger top tank which is quite easy to rebuilt, the new tank is a joy tech with a joy tech rba which look like the will be too hard to rebuild with this ultra thin wire

9 or 10 wraps around 2.5mm bit of 28 gauge gives you approximately 1.8ohms and should be no problem getting cotton through.

Thanks man, I know alot will probably think building coils at that ohm is a waste of time if you aren't sub ohm vaping but its way cheaper and tastes better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Hey,

Using thin wire is a very delicate operation,years ago it was only thin wire we could get hold of,like 30 & 32 gauge,it was like fuse wire:D:D:D
    Back then we used silica wick,cotton wick wasn't heard of,this is the method I used & it will work with cotton as well...

Instead of using a screwdriver or bit to wrap the coils,I used a thickish sewing needle which I held against the silica/cotton & wrapped the thin wire around cotton & needle about 4 or 5 spaced wraps to achieve 1.8 & then pull out needle & it's ready to be fitted to the RBA.(needle is only used to stabilize the cotton & wire)
    It's just a matter of reversing the procedure,cotton first,coil second,sounds daft but it works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

Thanks man, I know alot will probably think building coils at that ohm is a waste of time if you aren't sub ohm vaping but its way cheaper and tastes better

Nope not daft at all !!
    Whatever keeps you off the stinkies.
    It just takes practice and lots of YouTube videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

Thin wire is a complete c**t to work with. It's so springy and never stays in place without some serious work. I always ended up getting hot spots or destroying the coil putting in the amount of cotton I wanted... Or then not putting enough cotton in because I wanted the coil to stay in place. It's a nightmare

I'd say get thicker wire but do more wraps. The thicker it is the easier it is to work with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

Thin wire is a complete c**t to work with. It's so springy and never stays in place without some serious work. I always ended up getting hot spots or destroying the coil putting in the amount of cotton I wanted... Or then not putting enough cotton in because I wanted the coil to stay in place. It's a nightmare

I'd say get thicker wire but do more wraps. The thicker it is the easier it is to work with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

chipfox wrote: »

I forgot to mention about the springyness,we had to torch the wire,the first video shows you how to unspring it....if that is a word:D:D Vaping could have it's own dictionary :D:D

This video shows you how we torched the wire,it's the same procedure for all thickness of wire,move it to 8 mins to show build etc etc... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIAhtaCmEn8

This video shows you how to twist thin wire together & to half your resistance...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwxMqIOeyMw&list=PLklP2w6ZTHN36B_Z_qBykLe2JlOHQH5pd&index=16

Advertisement