Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Abusers

Options
  • 10-11-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

your Punishment(s) for Animal Abusers?

* Banned from keeping animals/pets again for life

* Prison Sentence

* Fine

* Hanging/Death sentence (* hypothetically speaking, because mores the pity they have done away with the death sentence)

* Something else...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This topic makes me very very sad. I think it should be treated as severely as paedophilia or abuse of an elderly person. There should be a register to be placed on to alert authorities you're a danger, and an appropriate prison term. It goes without saying if you're on the register, you should never own so much as a goldfish ever again.

There's something very very sinister in someone who's capable of inflicting harm on a defenceless, vulnerable creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This topic makes me very very sad. I think it should be treated as severely as paedophilia or abuse of an elderly person.

Seriously ???
    While animal cruelty is a serious issue and I don't make light of it.It is no way comparable .
    Our jails don't have the room for criminals who inflict harm on people, never mind animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Seriously ???

As far as I know people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse their fellow humans too so I would think a register would be perfectly justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Seriously ???
    While animal cruelty is a serious issue and I don't make light of it.It is no way comparable .
    Our jails don't have the room for criminals who inflict harm on people, never mind animals.

Absolutely. Causing harm and deliberately torturing or causing harm to a defenceless animal is outright evil, and if they're capable of abusing animals, I certainly wouldn't be asking them to babysit my kids

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JohanFr

Yes, put them on a list.

Its basically a giant 'serial killer' flag.

Public list... unsure, but definitely record the name.
    It will lead you to the culprit of a violent crime at a future date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Prison sentence and a heavy fine to start, ban from keeping animals in more serious cases.

All cases of animal abuse are disgusting and the more sinister ones are absolutely horrendous, but they cannot be compared to the abuse of a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Name and shame in the press, so all their friends, family member and work colleagues so what type of cowardly person they are.

Also, this may not be very PC, but I'd be in favour of some kind of physical punishment if the person tortured animals for pleasure. Taste of their own medicine, whatever form that would take. Would never happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Stigura

OP; Ye question requires definition, in my view. Viz; What, exactly, constitutes " Animal Abuse "?

Beating, kicking and chucking a pet Dog, until it had to be euthanised, because it's so broke up inside? Yep. That's animal abuse, in any right thinking persons book.

But, what if we go to the deeply lunatic end of the scale. German women starting up international bodies where the doctrine is that my Dogs ~ lounging around me as I type ~ are suffering Slavery at my hands. And would be Happier and better off euthanised, to end their intolerable suffering.

Are my neighbours " Abusing " their cattle, when they take them to mart, to be eyed up and possibly bought by the local Slaughtermen?

Deliberate animal cruelty should be considered a crime where the abuser is given a criminal record and harsh punishment such as a hefty fine, prohibition from owning animals etc. A prison sentence is not appropriate - why should tax payers foot the prison bill for them!
    Their names should be on a public list for ever as well as being named and shamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Noveight wrote: »

All cases of animal abuse are disgusting and the more sinister ones are absolutely horrendous, but they cannot be compared to the abuse of a human being.
    Meh. I care about my dogs more than 99 percent of people. I would consider it very comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Stigura wrote: »
    OP; Ye question requires definition, in my view. Viz; What, exactly, constitutes " Animal Abuse "?

Beating, kicking and chucking a pet Dog, until it had to be euthanised, because it's so broke up inside? Yep. That's animal abuse, in any right thinking persons book.

But, what if we go to the deeply lunatic end of the scale. German women starting up international bodies where the doctrine is that my Dogs ~ lounging around me as I type ~ are suffering Slavery at my hands. And would be Happier and better off euthanised, to end their intolerable suffering.

Are my neighbours " Abusing " their cattle, when they take them to mart, to be eyed up and possibly bought by the local Slaughtermen?

It is kind of funny the knots and tears people work themselves up into over the thoughts of someone kicking a dog when the majority of these people eat dead animals for the sake of convenience and pleasure on a daily basis. "My dogs are the same as people and anyone who hurts a dog should be shot. Chickens and cows and pigs is fine though coz I really like eating them"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

JohanFr wrote: »
    Yes, put them on a list.

It is kind of funny the knots and tears people work themselves up into over the thoughts of someone kicking a dog when the majority of these people eat dead animals for the sake of convenience and pleasure on a daily basis. "My dogs are the same as people and anyone who hurts a dog should be shot. Chickens and cows and pigs is fine though coz I really like eating them"

I'm most amused by those who see dogs as equal to humans but cats, well cats are vermin who deserve to be shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

I'm no vegan or vegetarian, in fact I'm eating a meat pizza now, but if you're harping on about how dare someone harm an animal whilst a meat eater yourself, just shut up

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm most amused by those who see dogs as equal to humans but cats, well cats are vermin who deserve to be shot

But as nice and all as the dogs are, the cats are far superior to their humans.

eviltwin wrote: »
    cats are vermin who deserve to be shot

If there were no cats about you'd know all about vermin. Cats contributed to human civilisation via vermin control. Also, cats run away from trouble so cruelty to cats is particularly evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If there were no cats about you'd know all about vermin. Cats contributed to human civilisation via vermin control. Also, cats run away from trouble so cruelty to cats is particularly evil.

Everyone reading your post is going to think I hate cats. I love them, have one of my own who is spoilt rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Also, cats run away from trouble so cruelty to cats is particularly evil.

Ah here now a dog isn't hanging around to be beaten or abused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

JohanFr wrote: »
    Yes, put them on a list.

I think it's the set of animal cruelty, fire-starting and bed-wetting - when all three are present - that a weirdly high number of serial killers exhibited in early life. Bed-wetting always seemed like the third wheel there to me.

I've often heard/read people tell stories from their childhood where they were engaging in violence against an animal as a child and it's stuck with them as a moment where their conscience and empathy kind of 'came online', like they thought it'd be cool or funny and it just felt awful. Some kids can be slower to come to that than others though, but any mentally proficient person who's puberty age or above and deliberately hurting animals needs help or needs to be watched pretty closely I'd say.

People can often end up in a situation where they're causing harm to animals but it's out of ignorance or other issues. Like basically being an animal hoarder and having 20 cats in a flat, the animals' lives are stressful and unhealthy but it's not coming from a place of malice or a wish to torture. Those people should be treated differently though of course the animals should be taken off them and they shouldn't be allowed to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I grew up fairly apathetic to both cats and dogs. My dear mother had a terrible fear of canines, and my father would 'shoo' random cats away from our house for reasons I haven't yet asked him about. That said, I'm now in Germany and sharing an apartment with two cats: Hopkins and Pluck.

Why any human would want to willingly hurt either of these creatures is a mystery to me.

Edups wrote: »
    Ah here now a dog isn't hanging around to be beaten or abused

True enough. The poor things look up to humans so much and are such social animals that they probably think they've done something wrong if an owner hurts them. :(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I could never understand how anybody could get a thrill out of abusing an animal and making them suffer, it's something which really gets to me.

I intentionally don't read any stories of animal cruelty in papers or new sites.

As far as I know people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse their fellow humans too so I would think a register would be perfectly justified.

How about the really cruel ones, like the old woman who keeps a cat in an apartment for life? I mean, those cats gotta be seriously messed up...but because it's not the patent violent type of cruelty people seem happy enough with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I could never understand how anybody could get a thrill out of abusing an animal and making them suffer, it's something which really gets to me.

Someone who intentionally harms or causes suffering to animals is probably somewhere along the line from conduct disorder to antisocial personality disorder.

They probably have a similar lack of empathy for people.

It would take a mental health professional to understand or help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

As far as you know ? I think you might read too many tabloid newspapers.

I grew up fairly apathetic to both cats and dogs. My dear mother had a terrible fear of canines, and my father would 'shoo' random cats away from our house for reasons I haven't yet asked him about. That said, I'm now in Germany and sharing an apartment with two cats: Hopkins and Pluck.

Why any human would want to willingly hurt either of these creatures is a mystery to me.

As long as there is a cat flap giving them a right to roam. It's a mystery to me why anyone would keep a cat in an apartment with no means of establishing territory etc. and fail to see the cruelty. Why not keep them in a shoebox altogether. The BBC documentary about the previously unrecorded habits of cats should have been an eye opener for cat owners everywhere.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-22821639

How about the really cruel ones, like the old woman who keeps a cat in an apartment for life? I mean, those cats gotta be seriously messed up...but because it's not the patent violent type of cruelty people seem happy enough with it.

What's the problem Conor? Do you have some evidence that non-roaming cats are messed up or are you posting from the previous century?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

learn_more wrote: »
    As far as you know ? I think you might read too many tabloid newspapers.

An ironic username in the context.

The lack of empathy in the deliberate abuse of animals is potentially symptomatic of a number of personality disorders (ref. DSM-5). Personality disorders which could also predispose a person to use or abuse other people.

Addressing the underlying problem is necessary, in addition to any criminal sanctions, if the likelihood of reoffending is to be reduced.

A ban on owning any animals and some sort of register might help remove the opportunity for reoffending. However since there are plenty of pets which need no licencing it is difficult to see how such a ban could be enforced in practice.

What's the problem Conor? Do you have some evidence that non-roaming cats are messed up or are you posting from the previous century?

Was the suggestion that keeping a cat confined to a concrete box in an urban sprawl may be cruel a 20th century one?

I didn't know that. Usually one would associate previous generations with a failure to appreciate subtlety, the "well the cat looks healthy so it must be fine" mentality.

• Advertisement

Was the suggestion that keeping a cat confined to a concrete box in an urban sprawl may be cruel a 20th century one?

I didn't know that. Usually one would associate previous generations with a failure to appreciate subtlety, the "well the cat looks healthy so it must be fine" mentality.

Do you have some evidence that non-roaming cats are messed up or are you posting from the previous century?

Advertisement