Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Abusers

Options

Comments

Do you have some evidence that non-roaming cats are messed up or are you posting from the previous century?

Uh oh, the repeated post, looks like I hit a nerve!

Go in, tell me, how big is the box you keep your cat in and how do you know this is fine by the cat? As a kitten, did it dream of the noise and fumes of traffic, sliding across laminate floors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Uh oh, the repeated post, looks like I hit a nerve!

Go in, tell me, how big is the box you keep your cat in and how do you know this is fine by the cat? As a kitten, did it dream of the noise and fumes of traffic, sliding across laminate floors?

Indeed we should release domestic animals into the jungle.. they'll get on well with the lions.

Edups wrote: »
    Indeed we should release domestic animals into the jungle.. they'll get on well with the lions.

I live in a rural area. No jungle. No lions. Fields and woodland. And I believe wholly more suited to a cat then some apartment in suburbia. Not that the area has been well examined at all. Junkyard Tom repeatedly referred to the last century, but I believe the BBC documentary in conjunction with the British Veterinary Council was the first effort to study the roaming habits of cats using GPS, and that was within the past 3 or 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

I live in a rural area. No jungle. No lions. Fields and woodland. And I believe wholly more suited to a cat then some apartment in suburbia. Not that the area has been well examined at all. Junkyard Tom repeatedly referred to the last century, but I believe the BBC documentary in conjunction with the British Veterinary Council was the first effort to study the roaming habits of cats using GPS, and that was within the past 3 or 4 years.

If a cat is properly stimulated then I see nothing wrong with having them live inside.

Edups wrote: »
    If a cat is properly stimulated then I see nothing wrong with having them live inside.

I think there is something inherently cruel in having an animal like a cat or dog in an apartment in an urban area. It's for the benefit of the owner, the animal lives on the owners terms, gets out of the box when the owner dictates, to pad on concrete roads and enjoy the passing traffic, from their exhaust pipe level vantage.

Far more pervasive and common place than violence against animals. But obviously downplayed, we tell ourselves it's fine and invent silly reasons to justify it - like the animals are safer. Well of course they are, and indeed the smaller and more controlled the space in which they are confined, the safer they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

There's something very very sinister in someone who's capable of inflicting harm on a defenceless, vulnerable creature.

<sinister mode>

Really? FFS!

</sinister mode>

Also, cats run away from trouble so cruelty to cats is particularly evil.

Not if you get them whilst they are young!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Noveight wrote: »
    Prison sentence and a heavy fine to start, ban from keeping animals in more serious cases.

All cases of animal abuse are disgusting and the more sinister ones are absolutely horrendous, but they cannot be compared to the abuse of a human being.

Should be significant fines and the fines should be attached to social welfare payments (for those supposedly not earning) or other incomes; prison sentence for more serious cases and named on a public register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I caught a fox having a dump on my driveway this morning. Hurled abuse at the fecker as he ran away.
    Lock me up.

I think it's the set of animal cruelty, fire-starting and bed-wetting - when all three are present - that a weirdly high number of serial killers exhibited in early life. Bed-wetting always seemed like the third wheel there to me.

Well, I haven't killed anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

cant deal with aminal abusers. prison time and banned for life isn't good enough. humans are supposed to be at the top of the chain and they amount of new ways they dream up to inflict pain and misery on animals never fails to sadden me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

cant deal with aminal abusers. prison time and banned for life isn't good enough. humans are supposed to be at the top of the chain and they amount of new ways they dream up to inflict pain and misery on animals never fails to sadden me.

We aren't at the top of the food chain. Polar bears are.

Hard to beat the cruelty of fishing, if we dragged cute mammals through water by hooking their mouths there would be outcry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Are people just insane. Putting animal cruelty in the same category as human murder, rape etc is dumb as fcuk.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say most here are vegans??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Are people just insane. Putting animal cruelty in the same category as human murder, rape etc is dumb as fcuk.

You only believe that because you are human. Look at it objectively.

This topic makes me very very sad. I think it should be treated as severely as paedophilia or abuse of an elderly person. There should be a register to be placed on to alert authorities you're a danger, and an appropriate prison term. It goes without saying if you're on the register, you should never own so much as a goldfish ever again.

There's something very very sinister in someone who's capable of inflicting harm on a defenceless, vulnerable creature.

Similarly, I think we should begin farming the elderly for meat.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You only believe that because you are human. Look at it objectively.

Um...what does that mean?

How is the matter objectively assessed at all? Is there some formula for assessing what is more cruel, rape or kicking a dog?

What is the objective view?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Definitely should be monitored. It's a hallmark of psychopathy apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sorry, but honestly, I thought that goat had consented.

Um...what does that mean?

How is the matter objectively assessed at all? Is there some formula for assessing what is more cruel, rape or kicking a dog?

What is the objective view?

Not surprisingly you used examples from different ends of the spectrum.

Take it like for like. Torturing an animal (dog, cat, horse whatever) and torturing a human.

Both as bad as each other and both worthy of the same punishment in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Meh. I care about my dogs more than 99 percent of people. I would consider it very comparable.

Animal cruelty is very bad and very few people will say otherwise, but what also concerns me is having somebody with your logic imposing rules and regulations on the rest of society. That scares the shít out of me.

Take it like for like. Torturing an animal (dog, cat, horse whatever) and torturing a human.

Both as bad as each other and both worthy of the same punishment in my opinion.

I think that is just...bizarre.

When the fisherman gets life for each fish, would you have him serve them consecutively or concurrently?

I think that is just...bizarre.

When the fisherman gets life for each fish, would you have him serve them consecutively or concurrently?

Another ridiculous comparison.

I eat meat. I have no issues with fishing, the farming of livestock for food (except chickens), hunting for food etc.

I do have an issue with animal cruelty. There is a difference there as much as you can't see it.

Another ridiculous comparison.

I eat meat. I have no issues with fishing, the farming of livestock for food (except chickens), hunting for food etc.

I do have an issue with animal cruelty. There is a difference there as much as you can't see it.

You have no issues with fishing?

I see your objectivity has just gone sailing out the window!

So would you allow a dog be dragged in a river by a hook through its mouth? Why a fish? You do "take like for like", that is your philosophy. Or is it the cute animals you like? Just the furry mammals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm not going to say animal cruelty is as bad as human murder, rape, etc. However, imagine yourself living next door to a person who tortures animals for fun. Would you feel comfortable with that?

The question asked originally was what form of punishment (if any) people would like to see given to those guilty of animal cruelty - not whether cruelty to animals is equal or worse than cruelty to humans.

Not sure how you reached that conclusion. You don't have to be a vegan to feel repulsed by animal cruelty. I would say that most ordinary, decent people are sickened by acts of cruelty to animals, regardless of whether they eat meat or not.

Personally, I'm vegetarian (NOT vegan) and I have no problem with people who choose to eat meat, but I would have a huge problem with anyone who is deliberately cruel to an animal.

You have no issues with fishing?

I see your objectivity has just gone sailing out the window!

So would you allow a dog be dragged in a river by a hook through its mouth? Why a fish? You do "take like for like", that is your philosophy. Or is it the cute animals you like? Just the furry mammals?

I have no issue with the killing of animals for commercial use. Fish die from asphyxiation (they're mostly caught in nets by the way). Cows die from getting a piston fired through their skull.

I have no issue with either of those methods. I have got an issue with animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Going down the vegan vs omnivore rabbit-hole.
    This always ends well.

I'm not going to say animal cruelty is as bad as human murder, rape, etc. However, imagine yourself living next door to a person who tortures animals for fun.

Lived next to farmers. They'd drown pups, beat cattle to get them into trailers, catch rats on glue boards, shoot foxes, crush testicles on young bulls etc.

Now it was all cruel, none of it was done for fun. It was done for expedience usually. It certainly wasn't socially useful, it wasn't directly necessary for food production etc. But there was a recognition of an order, they are just animals. That is not to say they should be treated cruelly for fun...but let's not equate the life of a human with the life of a rabbit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It is kind of funny the knots and tears people work themselves up into over the thoughts of someone kicking a dog when the majority of these people eat dead animals for the sake of convenience and pleasure on a daily basis. "My dogs are the same as people and anyone who hurts a dog should be shot. Chickens and cows and pigs is fine though coz I really like eating them"

Not a fair comparison, just because you enjoy meat doesn't mean you would condone a cow, pig or chicken being tortured or kicked around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Imprisonment and being added to list as well as never being allowed anywhere near animals again would be my punishments.

Advertisement