Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Abusers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Quit the trolling or don't post in the thread.

I'm not trolling. I'm being genuinely honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Personally i'd give them a bullet , would gladly do it myself.

Realistically sentences should be harsh a minimum 5-10 years in prison and a substantial fine donated to the ISPCA.

No exemption for kids , kids that tortrue small animal grow up to be rapists , paedophiles , murders , serial killers etc its an erly indication so remove them from the gene pool sharpish off to a mental hospital or somthing.

I rescuced one of out cats directly from being cornered by a gang of scumbag Youths , it didn't end well for one or two of them , but I felt a huge sense of personal satisfaction.

Man woman or child whether its you're religion , your dog etc i don't give two short once once i see you abuse an animal you're fair game i'm breaking you up and smiling while i do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Guys, I think Petrolcan's name gives it away. Don't raise to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Alun wrote: »
    Tell that to the ancient Egyptians.
    An ancient egyptian city probably wouldn't have been as filthy as a medieval European city.

I actually just watched a documentary on the domestic cat on Netflix last night, and according to that documentary, contrary to popular opinion it's likely that cats were drawn to human rubbish rather than an abundance of prey around human settlements. They say cats were first and foremost a companion pet and that we would over emphasise their pest control abilities simply because we wanted to justify our obsession with them.

Realistically sentences should be harsh a minimum 5-10 years in prison and a substantial fine donated to the ISPCA.

No exemption for kids , kids that tortrue small animal grow up to be rapists , paedophiles , murders , serial killers etc its an erly indication so remove them from the gene pool sharpish off to a mental hospital or somthing.

I rescuced one of out cats directly from being cornered by a gang of scumbag Youths , it didn't end well for one or two of them , but I felt a huge sense of personal satisfaction.

Man woman or child whether its you're religion , your dog etc i don't give two short once once i see you abuse an animal you're fair game i'm breaking you up and smiling while i do it.

I'm not sure where to start with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

petrolcan wrote: »
    It's not that I can't be arsed, I've read several previously. The main reason that I ask is that I have had several conversations in the past where someone spouts the line 'cruel to animals means you'll be a psycho' and when challenged they cannot back it up.
    It seems a little odd that if you've read several in the past that back up this view, that you'd be asking others for proof of something you already know proof of exists.
    Again, thanks.

That's not one I'd seen before but I am struck by the line (p19) "70% - 90% of all violent criminals were abused as children."

Seems to me to be an upbringing thing.
    See my post above on recent studies regarding psychopaths. It seems more of the general population than we might like are what are called "functioning" psychopaths, lacking in empathy due to a specific gene, but because they had a largely positive, healthy upbringing, don't develop into violent murderers. They still often exhibit personality traits that are borderline mental disorders though.

The thing about animal abuse amongst children is that it's a marker, an indicator, that something like this is probably an issue, and should be taken more seriously than it is.

pilly wrote: »

You can call me Michael if it helps.

I'm not sure where to start with this.

i saw your post too but i sure as sh1t know where id start

The thing about animal abuse amongst children is that it's a marker, an indicator, that something like this is probably an issue, and should be taken more seriously than it is.

Absolutely agree.

How do you do that though? When I did my deeds between the ages of 9 to 13 my parents were fully aware of what was about to happen and what happened.

I had a happy upbringing too.

I had a happy upbringing too.

That's a shame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Lone Stone wrote: »
    you are using a broad terms for under 18 there is a huge difference between an 18-year-old and a 13-year-old, yet you are advocating for punishment of a child with out any consideration for the environment they have been raised in which could be the entire reason for why they have abusive behavior towards animals which in the long wont solve anything it would only lead to worse criminal/destructive behavior, where as finding out what has been going on with the kid/young adult (under 18 say) they could get to the route of the behavioral problem. But sure why deal with issues properly when you can just punish them :rolleyes:
    News to me :)

Well done. I'd do the same if any of mine were in danger. Animals are so defenceless, it makes me so angry when people abuse them.

That's not necessarily true. Empathy is learned, a 3 year old simply doesn't understand empathy or at best has a very limited understanding of it. Until they learn empathy they're just not going to understand that they're doing anything wrong. Empathy doesn't really exist outside of the human brain, it's something we learned to do and passed onto our children. What we consider cruel wouldn't have been cruel in the past so it's also evolving with the times. If the global economy went tits up and it was an everyman for himself apocalypse scenario empathy would disapear for a lot of animals. Being empathic to other animals is a luxury brought on by wealth.

pilly wrote: »

Petrolcan appears to be on my ignore list so I cant see the posts - makes the thread a little more interesting trying to fill in the gaps lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Petrolcan appears to be on my ignore list so I cant see the posts - makes the thread a little more interesting trying to fill in the gaps lol

I can see why he's on your ignore list but I just ignore him anyway. Trying to encourage others not to raise to it either.

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true. Empathy is learned, a 3 year old simply doesn't understand empathy or at best has a very limited understanding of it. Until they learn empathy they're just not going to understand that they're doing anything wrong. Empathy doesn't really exist outside of the human brain, it's something we learned to do and passed onto our children. What we consider cruel wouldn't have been cruel in the past so it's also evolving with the times. If the global economy went tits up and it was an everyman for himself apocalypse scenario empathy would disapear for a lot of animals. Being empathic to other animals is a luxury brought on by wealth.

I'd agree. I am a total animal lover. House is falling down with rescues and I've lost count of the number of animals I have rescued and re-homed. I'm also vegetarian and militant protector of my pets! However I do remember when I was a young child (probably around 4), there was a spider in our house and my Dad captured it in a matchbox and asked me what we should do with it. I was angry with the spider for giving me a fright and I said, "put it in the fire!". My Dad sat me down and explained that the spider might have a family to go home to, and that putting him in the fire would really hurt him and would I consider maybe releasing him instead? So, I have a clear recollection of (what was probably one example of many) my parents instilling that empathy into me.

Having said that, there are people who are evil to animals without ever having it instilled, and I also went beyond my parent's stance on it and am now far more into animal rights and activism than they put into me, so I think it's a nature/nurture balance in reality. Some people really are just evil.

Having said that, there are people who are evil to animals without ever having it instilled, and I also went beyond my parent's stance on it and am now far more into animal rights and activism than they put into me, so I think it's a nature/nurture balance in reality. Some people really are just evil.
    There does seem to be people that just don't get it. They can learn the rules and understand them but seem compelled to ignore them. But it's a sliding scale from "don't care - to - care to much". I think it's possible that someone can be empathic to humans and just unable to extend that out to other species. I'd say there are even people who are emphatic about their own family and don't give a **** about everybody else on the planet.

I don't like killing animals, I even get a bit sad about killing mice. But I know it needs to be done. Me killing them is already accounted for in their breeding habits and I run the risk of getting sick by having them around.

That's a shame

No, it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Nothing gives me as much visceral rage as someone taking pleasure in abusing an animal or baby. It's pure evil, and I don't want these people on my planet. I don't care about their upbringing, and I don't care about their chances of rehabilitation, I don't about anything except making sure they don't do it again.

Well done. I'd do the same if any of mine were in danger. Animals are so defenceless, it makes me so angry when people abuse them.

people that abuse animals belong in the same catagory of deploarables as paedophiles and those that target the elderly , contemptable cowards who prey on the most vulnerable and voiceless, they need to be weeded out root and stem whatever that takes

• Advertisement

That's not necessarily true. Empathy is learned, a 3 year old simply doesn't understand empathy or at best has a very limited understanding of it. Until they learn empathy they're just not going to understand that they're doing anything wrong.
    True, but as I mentioned, new research shows it's also possible for some people to be physically unable to learn empathy. If brought up properly they'll learn that certain behaviours are wrong, and won't engage in them, but they're not doing so out of any feelings of empathy. If however they're brought up in an abusive environment where no such education has taken place, the brakes are off.
    If the global economy went tits up and it was an everyman for himself apocalypse scenario empathy would disapear for a lot of animals.
    Empathy influences our behaviour certainly but doesn't control it. Other factors can overrule it, and in your specific case mentioned, a sense of survival would probably be strong enough to do that. Empathy hasn't disappeared in that case, it's just been demoted in importance.

No, it was really good.

would love to see how brave you'd be in person Petrol , my bet not very you sad little troll

True, but as I mentioned, new research shows it's also possible for some people to be physically unable to learn empathy.
    I would class that as a disability. If it can be spotted early enough it should be possible to counteract any negative aspects. I think there's a big difference between people that have problems with empathy, or even just can't consign it to a involuntary response as most people do (I'm probably using the wrong terminology there), they can still often be empathic in a logical sense. Empathy is a logic based behaviour.

Serial killers are a rarity, I don't think lacking empathy means you're going to go out and kill, or abuse people. It's still a stupid thing to do even without being empathic.

people that abuse animals belong in the same catagory of deploarables as paedophiles and those that target the elderly , contemptable cowards who prey on the most vulnerable and voiceless, they need to be weeded out root and stem whatever that takes

Please correct me if I am wrong but are you putting animals and humans at the same level?

Please correct me if I am wrong but are you putting animals and humans at the same level?

Yes tbh i have more tome for animals then most people ... they are living creatures just like us , we are animals no more no less

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yes tbh i have more tome for animals then most people ... they are living creatures just like us , we are animals no more no less

Well that's just silly isn't it. Putting animals lives in same worth as ours is just stupid. I'm sorry.
    I hunt and I hunt rabbits and such. If you are trying to say someone murdering a human is same as me killing a rabbit for god then you may have more problems than you think my friend

Well that's just silly isn't it. Putting animals lives in same worth as ours is just stupid. I'm sorry.
    I hunt and I hunt rabbits and such. If you are trying to say someone murdering a human is same as me killing a rabbit for god then you may have more problems than you think my friend

if you find killing for the craic fun i think youl find you have the issue but lets not get personal here ... we are just animals thats undeniable

we are animals no more no less
    I agree, but unless there's something broken in your brain, when it comes down to it, you're going to put a human, even a bollox, before an animal. If someone told you they're either going to kill a random stranger or your cat, you wouldn't be able to side with the cat. If there were other people watching the urge to go human would be overwhelming. As you point out, we're animals. We're almost as much at the mercy of our instincts as any other animal.

Here's the Horizon documentary I was referring to if anyone wants to watch ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2aorOAY8o8

• Advertisement

I agree, but unless there's something broken in your brain, when it comes down to it, you're going to put a human, even a bollox, before an animal. If someone told you they're either going to kill a random stranger or your cat, you wouldn't be able to side with the cat. If there were other people watching the urge to go human would be overwhelming. As you point out, we're animals. We're almost as much at the mercy of our instincts as any other animal.

id side with the cat cat 10 times outta 10 in fact if it was my cat , id pull the trigger myself to ensure its safety ... ive seen random skangers try and kill a kitten i stepped in , an old lady mugged i stepped in abuse a dog stepped in assault my fince stepped in ... ended the same way for all theem. y would i choose some random stranger over somthing i love wouldnt even choose them over a stray tbh

Advertisement