Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catch 22-Leaving Cert teaching experience

Options
  • 10-11-2016 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I teach English.

I wonder if anyone could advise me on getting my teaching career moving as I have hit a plateau.

I have applied for numerous teaching posts over the years since I qualified and have gotten various types of cover ,subbing, maternity, sick leave etc However I have never gained any experience of teaching Leaving Cert English.

When I look at advertised posts and they say candidates must have experience of teaching the old LC, I am ruled out.

I can understand the POV of Principals wanting competent and experienced candidates and also because of the competition for English posts is very high.

But can anyone suggest to me how I get this experience in the first place. It's a black-hole on my CV?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Giving grinds to LC students would count as experience. Have you attended inservices for LC English? Keep an eye on your local education centre for them. Apply for the jobs anyway, make sure you know the content of the course thoroughly, if pressed, having given grinds and attended inservice would show that you are at least familiar with the course.

Have you thought about marking during the summer? You might start off at JC level, but could work your way up. This is very valid experience.

Have you other skills or subjects to 'sell' at an interview? If you have experience in drama or studied another subject in college e.g. psychology, you could do a module in those in TY. If all else fails, it could be worth your while picking up a second subject to improve your employability.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

Thanks, some sound advice there.

Never attended LC in-services as I was never teaching it which I realise now is quite shortsighted! Gonna bite the bullet and mark the higher level next summer.
    Well I'm not really into drama like acting etc but love Shakespeare. My other subject is History, so a very scarce combo haha. Most schools I 've been in have either a small LC History class or none at all.

Advertisement