Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noticeable improvement in site moderation

Options
  • 10-11-2016 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Since the regime change at Boards HQ, I've noticed far fewer unnecessary thread closures and fewer bannings. Constructive debate and enjoyable discussion that encompasses all opinion has flowed fluidly as a result. I'm not sure if this is due to a diktat imposed from upper management or if it's just regular mods deciding to be more hands-off, but it has had a positive overall effect on the site.

Sure, some of the old guard of protected posters have stormed off in a huff in the new egalitarian Boards.ie but this just shows that their views can't stand up to scrutiny in the free market of ideas. We all know their names. The site is better off without heavy weight posters thinking they're untouchable cos the mod is on their side.

Thank you for listening to user feedback and keep up the good work.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Regime change? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Regime change? :pac:

Probably talking of Trump replacing Obama.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Trollplementing the mods/admins here I'd say. That's definitely a word.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hello maregal,

Speaking purely as an individual here but would you mind specifying the forums you have seen this on? Last time I saw a number we had a couple of hundred of mods and forums and I'm sure the forums in question would love to know you're speaking of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have actually come to feedback to post the absolute inconsistency of moderation in the beauty forum, but to be honest, there does seem to be way less closed threads lately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Based on ~150 posts and the last 11 months since you joined.

Let's listen to this guy!

Says the guy with just over 300 posts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Looks like the recent debate we had about over-moderation (2-3 months ago?) actually paid off. Kudos to the mods if they've actually taken on board what was said - tentatively, it does seem to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

maregal wrote: »
    Since the regime change at Boards HQ, I've noticed far fewer unnecessary thread closures and fewer bannings. Constructive debate and enjoyable discussion that encompasses all opinion has flowed fluidly as a result. I'm not sure if this is due to a diktat imposed from upper management or if it's just regular mods deciding to be more hands-off, but it has had a positive overall effect on the site.

Sure, some of the old guard of protected posters have stormed off in a huff in the new egalitarian Boards.ie but this just shows that their views can't stand up to scrutiny in the free market of ideas. We all know their names. The site is better off without heavy weight posters thinking they're untouchable cos the mod is on their side.

Thank you for listening to user feedback and keep up the good work.

You've hit the patronising waffle nail on the head there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Don't know...if true could be to late. Noticed a couple of near 15yo accounts closed in last while. Taking out closed accounts just made things even more noticable if you know about it.

AH needs a heap of losers dropped kicked into a new Rape/Misogyny Forum, whats wrong with people nowadays going on about that stuff in every fecking thread. Whiplash is all you'll get in AH now with the head rolling ya can't help but doing from the sh1t posting.

Worse than ever that bollix carry on. Nowhere else do you see this. I'll never understand why is was let become such a thing on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know - I for one keep over-moderating and closing threads as fast as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

biko wrote: »
    I don't know - I for one keep over-moderating and closing threads as fast as I can.

Well you're clearly not doing a very good job if people aren't noticing it. Up your feckin' game like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

AH definitely seems to have changed and I think for the better. Lots of threads are being left run like it used to be way back in the day when places like this feedback forum were just fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Things sure have taken a turn for the less censorious since Mr. Right-wing-opinion-is-dangerous shuffled off stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭maregal

DeadHand wrote: »
    Things sure have taken a turn for the less censorious since Mr. Right-wing-opinion-is-dangerous shuffled off stage.

More like he waddled out the door while wheezing for breath and trying not to spill his milkshake. In fairness though he wasn't the only one enforcing the SJW agenda with the threat of bans. There was a certain transgender mod who would snap at the slightest perceived provocation and go off on a rambling tirade laced with expletives. Then there was the IRA wannabe who actually lived off the disability pretending to be a tough guy and excusing the murder of children. Funny how a small handful of power-tripping sociopaths can bring down an entire site into disrepute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

maregal wrote: »
    More like he waddled out the door while wheezing for breath and trying not to spill his milkshake. In fairness though he wasn't the only one enforcing the SJW agenda with the threat of bans. There was a certain transgender mod who would snap at the slightest perceived provocation and go off on a rambling tirade laced with expletives. Then there was the IRA wannabe who actually lived off the disability pretending to be a tough guy and excusing the murder of children. Funny how a small handful of power-tripping sociopaths can bring down an entire site into disrepute.

Funny but I don't recognise any of this.

This is baiting for a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@maregal - insulting comments like the above are not acceptable. Feel free to critique direction etc but stooping to criticise someone's appearance is low.

UPDATE - Upon reconsideration, maregal is banned from Feedback for one month for the extremely personal insults posted. As stated above, critiquing mod action is perfectly fine, but crossing the line into personal slurs is not.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Mods must have been culled. I haven't been banned recently. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can fix that for you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Rathe questionable permaban over on the Fitness forum of one of the best contributors. Moderation still very questionable.

Maybe not Nero fiddling as Rome burned it definitely a case of Nero having a bonfire and not making the connection between it and Rome burning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Specifics of forum moderation are not up for discussion here. They may be addressed in DRF by the poster concerned.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm probably being too specific THB but I'm seeing someone in DRP with a 5 day AH ban for making a pretty tame remark about moderation, not a specific moderator mind you. I'm not sure in all my years here I've seen someone get a ban for such a fairly innocent remark and frankly it looks a bit petty.

1 step forwards 2 steps back perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I'm probably being too specific THB but I'm seeing someone in DRP with a 5 day AH ban for making a pretty tame remark about moderation, not a specific moderator mind you. I'm not sure in all my years here I've seen someone get a ban for such a fairly innocent remark and frankly it looks a bit petty.

1 step forwards 2 steps back perhaps.

Was just looking at that myself and was thinking exactly the same thing .......... way way OTT.

I personally can't see any major improvement of site Moderation worth starting a thread over .......... especially when you have cases in DRP such as the one you've referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As mentioned - keep the discussion to general moderation. Any further specifics referenced may be snipped or the post deleted.

Thanks,

tHB

Advertisement