Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet every night

Options
  • 10-11-2016 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, looking for some ideas.

the young lad is 2 and a half - not potty trained. He's in a bed.

Every night he wakes up soaking, absolutely soaking from pee.

At the moment we are using nappy + pull-up, but it's not keeping him dry. the pullup is a size smaller than the nappy, in an attempt to keep everything contained.

We closely monitor his pre-bed time liquid intake, and he might have about 100mls of water with dinner (5.30-6), and then maybe the same amount of almond or coconut milk with a bowl of Weetabix made with water and almond milk (not sloppy!) at about 7 before he goes asleep at 7.30 - he gets a fresh nappy just before bed, and then on goes the pull-up.

He'll wake any time between about 2.30 and 4.30am drenched, and will need new pjs and sometimes a change of bedclothes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My almost 2 year old was the same. I change her nappy again when I'm going to bed around midnight.. it's the only thing that's worked for me. She's in size 6+ Tesco nappies. Recently I've gone to 6 Tesco pull up. She's changed first thing at 7.30am. I'm despairing ever trying potty training :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think you're going to have to try a stealthy nappy change at around midnight. My little guy went through a phase of that and a midnight nappy change made all the difference.

Another thing we tried was setting him on the potty about half an hour before bed. Even though he wasn't trained, he often would wee in it which made a difference because his bladder was empty when the nappy would go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, he will sometimes get the potty himself and do that, but I can't say I've noticed any correlation with not waking up wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

My almost 3 year old boy who I haven't even attempted to potty train yet as he's not ready, would be like this. Nappy goes on for bed between 7 and 8, and I'll change him again when I'm going to bed, that works most nights, and his nappy will be completely full in morning time. I heard from a friend of mine that to know when a child is ready for potty training is to see what their nappies are like in the morning time, if they are dry/mostly dry it's a good indicator they are ready to potty train as they can properly hold their pee, now I'm not sure how true that is, but it makes sense I guess, mine definitely isn't ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Coopaloop wrote:
    I heard from a friend of mine that to know when a child is ready for potty training is to see what their nappies are like in the morning time, if they are dry/mostly dry it's a good indicator they are ready to potty train as they can properly hold their pee, now I'm not sure how true that is, but it makes sense I guess, mine definitely isn't ready yet.

This worked with my eldest boy, he was over 3 and dry at night when I bit the bullet to train him. It took 2 days and very few accidents for him to get it.
    My younger boy wasn't quite 3 but I wanted him out of nappies before my youngest was born. Took him about a week.
    Due again next May so that'll be my deadline with my almost 2 year old.
    The midnight nappy change was essential in our house for a full nights sleep, thank God they managed to sleep through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Would you consider restricting drinks even further? If he's having a snack maybe one that doesn't need a liquid (bit of toast, fruit etc). My daughter was always soaking in the morning, though we never did a midnight change, and stopping drinks at tea time (around 6pm) definitely helps. She's toilet trained a few months now and only occasionally has super wet pull ups now.

Advertisement