Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Keto Journey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

What's the deal with bouillon cubes and keto. Are they necessary or do u just need to take if u are low on energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's the deal with bouillon cubes and keto. Are they necessary or do u just need to take if u are low on energy
    Just a easy low carb way to replace lost electrolytes. It's not necessary by any means.
    It won't give you energy either. They are quite low energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Where can I find info on this diet?

The keto section on reddit is very good for info. I lost 2 stone on it over 3 months. I have gotten very lazy on it recently so I'm stalled. It's tough at the start especially if you like bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

The keto section on reddit is very good for info. I lost 2 stone on it over 3 months. I have gotten very lazy on it recently so I'm stalled. It's tough at the start especially if you like bread.

Why is bread so fn beautiful??

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

So I started Keto and am 6 pounds down for week one.

Some great information here for people interested.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Yep I started it also last week and I'm down 4 pounds with little effort. My weakness was snacking in the evening, crisp sandwiches in particular but this style of eating seems to have reined in my ravenous feasting. I think however once I get down to an ideal weight I will introduce some higher carb fruit and veg slowly.

I think however once I get down to an ideal weight I will introduce some higher carb fruit and veg slowly.
    Bare in mind, Keto diets depletes your glycogen stores. Which is probably about 2k (4-5lbs) of glycogen and water total.
    When you reintroduce high carb food, you'll build those stores back up.
    Some people confuse that build up for fat gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My weakness was snacking in the evening, crisp sandwiches
    How can you achieve KETO with such a high carb intake?

smurfjed wrote: »
    My weakness was snacking in the evening, crisp sandwiches
    How can you achieve KETO with such a high carb intake?
    Sorry, this probably didn't translate well. What I meant was that I snacked like this before keto but in the past week, my craving for these types of treats has disappeared..so no I don't eat crisp sandwiches on this diet :)

• Advertisement

I lost 15kg in the first couple of months, then plateaued, I'm kinda happy where i am but want to get the enthusiasm to give up beer and see can i go 5-10 kg lower.

Another 5 pounds down after week 2 and it seems to be getting easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I was trying a Ray Peat style protocol for a few months, sugar sugar sugar! Was fun at first but I had to wave the white flag on it.
    So I started Keto, meat only btw, a few days ago and am feeling 100% better, plus, down a few pounds already.
    Delighted :-)

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I was trying a Ray Peat style protocol for a few months, sugar sugar sugar! Was fun at first but I had to wave the white flag on it.
    Ray peat?

So I started Keto, meat only btw, a few days ago and am feeling 100% better, plus, down a few pounds already.
    Only meat, do you mean everything you are eating is meat?
    I love my meat, but not sure if I could do only meat

Would all meat not be too much protein for keto?

Mellor wrote: »
    Ray peat?
    Only meat, do you mean everything you are eating is meat?
    I love my meat, but not sure if I could do only meat

Here is an example of someone who is a "peat-inspired" being:

And yes, it's meat only as the foundation for the long run, but I had some eggs I didn't want to go to waste so I've had a few. Eggs and cheese are still eaten by some people doing this, it's kind of down to the individual.
    I do use cream in my coffee still.

Here is a site with lots of interviews with people who do "zero carb", it's pretty interesting :

https://zerocarbzen.com/2016/10/04/zero-carb-interview-amber-ohearn/

• Advertisement

I'm back working rather than training, so back to KETO with limited beer.... dropped under 100 kgs for first time in about 10 years, so far this year that's a 17kg loss.
    Meat on its own will be way too much protein, you will need a high source of fat as well.

Just to add, this is the website from the lady interviewed above:

http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not-too-little-mostly-fat.html

What to eat

There are five simple rules.

Rule 1: Eat nothing but meat.

You can also optionally have eggs, and optionally a little high-fat dairy such as butter or heavy cream.

Prefer “pure” meats like beef, pork, chicken, fish, turkey, lamb, etc. over “processed” meats like sausage or cold cuts. Don't eat meat with high-carb additives in it, such as hot dogs which come with added sugar, or with added corn syrup (which is another word for sugar).

Be aware that some people do not fare as well with a lot of dairy in their diet, and so it is wiser to wait and add it after the initial trial.

Rule 2: Eat fatty meat.

Have some delicious, juicy steak; not dry, lean beef! Eat tender, juicy chicken thighs; not dry, low-fat chicken breasts. Try the hamburger made from 85% lean instead of the 93% lean ground beef. Juicy salmon is better than dry white fish, and so on.

Juicy meat with plenty of fat tastes better and is more satisfying and filling, but more importantly, you need healthy animal fat to maintain a good energy level and mood, regular bowels, and good maintenance of your brain, heart, and joints.

Rule 3: Eat plenty of it.

Do not limit your consumption of healthy, fatty, whole cuts of meat. Whenever you sit down to a meal, just eat until you are completely satisfied and you naturally lose interest in having any more. This is even more important if you are overweight and are trying to lose weight by following the ketogenic diet. In any case, this is one of the rules: eat to satiety, at every meal. If you are still hungry after a meal during this 30-day experiment, then you are doing it wrong.
    Rule 4: Drink water.

If you regularly drink coffee, you don't need to quit for this experiment, but do not drink any sweet beverages, even if they are low in carbs. This means no diet soda drinks. Stick to water, and drink it in response to thirst.
    Rule 5: Get plenty of salt.

Don't skimp on salt. Eat extra, even. As explained in our article on keto-adaptation, people in the initial stages of a keto diet need to eat extra salt. Don't worry about salt having a bad effect on your blood pressure; the widely touted idea that you should reduce salt intake in order to lower your blood pressure is controversial and may not even be true. In fact, if you have high blood pressure, this dietary experiment might actually lower it, even though you will be eating extra salt. If this is a concern for you, then measure your blood pressure before you start (another “baseline measurement”) and again afterward.

I'm back working rather than training, so back to KETO with limited beer.... dropped under 100 kgs for first time in about 10 years, so far this year that's a 17kg loss.
    Meat on its own will be way too much protein, you will need a high source of fat as well.

Congrats on your brilliant results.

And in the fat-department, I'm fine, I love it so there's no problem there ;)

Would all meat not be too much protein for keto?

No, there is plenty of fat to be eaten. Take a look through some of the stories if yer interested in how the various people incorporate it into their diet.

I was a bit shocked at this too at first tbh, but I can already tell it's for me.

Here is an example of someone who is a "peat-inspired" being:

I've watched that twice now and I don't really understand the diet.
    That's just a random collection of food, rather than any diet to follow.
    Unless you eat exactly that every day, but surely that's not it.
    And yes, it's meat only as the foundation for the long run, but I had some eggs I didn't want to go to waste so I've had a few. Eggs and cheese are still eaten by some people doing this, it's kind of down to the individual.
    I do use cream in my coffee still.

Here is a site with lots of interviews with people who do "zero carb", it's pretty interesting :

https://zerocarbzen.com/2016/10/04/zero-carb-interview-amber-ohearn/

But that's something other than keto entirely though right?
    Or rather a specific subset of keto.

I'm cyclic keto at the minute. But not meat only or anything like it. I don't the need, and i'd feel like I'm missing out.

• Advertisement

Ray Peat ISN'T easy to understand, lol. He's all about hormones, metabolism, etc. There is no "one " diet from him, just recommendations and such.

Here is an entire community devoted to his teachings, etc:

https://raypeatforum.com/community/aboutus/

And the man himself: http://raypeat.com/

But that's something other than keto entirely though right?
    Or rather a specific subset of keto.

I'm cyclic keto at the minute. But not meat only or anything like it. I don't the need, and i'd feel like I'm missing out.

Ketosis is just a state where your body is now burning fat vs glucose, so anything that gets you there is technically Keto. It is an extreme diet on the Keto "spectrum", but I'd term it more simple than anything else. It is great to just toss a steak on the grill for a few minutes vs hours of prepping veg, etc :-)

It works very well for some and since I love both meat and fat I suspect it will be good for me too.

This lady is a passionate advocate for it . She lost a massive amount of weight doing low-carb, but found herself still struggling , so she went zero carb a few years ago and has thrived ever since:

https://twitter.com/kelly_hogan_zc/status/882553686756646912

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Any advice for snacks when the sweet cravings kick in?

djPSB wrote: »

I have a handful of walnuts or cashew nuts.
    Craving will be gone by week 2 well they were for me

For snacks, I keep cheese around the place and in my travel bag, that way i get to munch and avoid buying chocolate.

Ray Peat ISN'T easy to understand, lol. He's all about hormones, metabolism, etc. There is no "one " diet from him, just recommendations and such.

Here is an entire community devoted to his teachings, etc:

https://raypeatforum.com/community/aboutus/

And the man himself: http://raypeat.com/

I've had a look about those pages, and it's not very clear at all.
    Generally things like "metabolism"and "hormones" I'd associate with BS diet buzz words. His research may be sound, but it more focused on random nutrients than diet. If a dirt/lifestyle can;t be summarized in a short paragraph, it's not very good imo.

The forum is a bit of a haphazard, it honestly just looks like people are using his research as an excuse to add ice cream and sugar to a paleo or keto diet.
    Some posts contradict others completely, eg: sugar and carbs will protein at very meal vrs ray peat keto.

But that's just my impression from first read through. Could be wrong.

Ketosis is just a state where your body is now burning fat vs glucose, so anything that gets you there is technically Keto.
    That's not what ketosis is. Most people will be burning fat at some point everyday without ever being in ketosis. Ketosis is when you are producing ketones. I imagine you know that, I'm just pointing it out for the sake of anyone reading.

It is an extreme diet on the Keto "spectrum", but I'd term it more simple than anything else. It is great to just toss a steak on the grill for a few minutes vs hours of prepping veg, etc :-)
    Sure it's simply, all you do is eat meat. But it would be optimal for me or even more enjoyable. Missing so much good (keto) food. What's the advantage of it for you?

If prepping veg takes you hours you should get a sharper knife. :D
    I'd spend 2 mins chopping or preping veg, at most.
    It works very well for some and since I love both meat and fat I suspect it will be good for me too.
    I love meat, don;t get me wrong. But by limiting it to only meat, I'd be losing so much.
    Like I love chicken wings. Nice on their own, but with chilli and butter they are even nicer. I like beef, I love slow cooked beef in thai curry etc

Mellor wrote: »
    I've had a look about those pages, and it's not very clear at all.
    Generally things like "metabolism"and "hormones" I'd associate with BS diet buzz words. His research may be sound, but it more focused on random nutrients than diet. If a dirt/lifestyle can;t be summarized in a short paragraph, it's not very good imo.

The forum is a bit of a haphazard, it honestly just looks like people are using his research as an excuse to add ice cream and sugar to a paleo or keto diet.
    Some posts contradict others completely, eg: sugar and carbs will protein at very meal vrs ray peat keto.

But that's just my impression from first read through. Could be wrong.

As I said, Ray Peat doesn't have a diet, so "Ray Peat Keto" is deffo something you misunderstood, as he doesn't recommend it at all really, at least not long term:

I really wasn't expecting you to actually get into "Peatarianism" , I just gave you the links to show you who he was. There's a lot of very intelligent people on there, but it requires a LOT of reading and time I found. You are right about it being confusing.

That's not what ketosis is. Most people will be burning fat at some point everyday without ever being in ketosis. Ketosis is when you are producing ketones. I imagine you know that, I'm just pointing it out for the sake of anyone reading.

Yes, I do and funny enough I was going to write ketones initially but thought fat sounded simpler. Regardless, you're absolutely right!
    Sure it's simply, all you do is eat meat. But it would be optimal for me or even more enjoyable. Missing so much good (keto) food. What's the advantage of it for you?
    If prepping veg takes you hours you should get a sharper knife. :D
    I'd spend 2 mins chopping or preping veg, at most.

I love meat, don;t get me wrong. But by limiting it to only meat, I'd be losing so much.
    Like I love chicken wings. Nice on their own, but with chilli and butter they are even nicer. I like beef, I love slow cooked beef in thai curry etc

Mellor, I wonder if I somehow gave the impression that I was suggesting others take the meat-only train? I most certainly am not. I was just dropping links and such to show some others who are doing it and why. I am only a few days into it myself, hardly a ringing endorsement quite yet ;)

If what you are doing works for you, why on earth would you change it?

I feel a bit rude actually, I just wanted to join in on the Keto thread instead of posting essays , so please forgive me.
    I am looking forward to posting weekly progress as this first one is going so well--I'm just a bit excited to be honest :-)

Best of luck to everyone!

Poorly written article about Keto in the Indo today:

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/health-features/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-ketogenic-diet-35931897.html
    To be 100pc clear - getting people into ketosis is not an easy process, and keeping them there is often a challenge requiring long-term support from a team of healthcare professionals.

Lower carbohydrate diets have been shown to result in weight loss. The keto diet is not a low-carb diet. Despite this fact, a few researchers, and certainly many media reports still seem to confuse the two. True ketosis is hard to achieve and challenging to maintain.

The keto diet is very much a medical diet as opposed to a weight-loss diet. As studies clearly report that weight loss for many is challenging to maintain, it's unlikely that the keto diet will ever be used by many for weight loss as it too is challenging to maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

djPSB wrote: »

I find brushing my teeth helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Started full keto last week (mon). Got on the scales - 16 stone on the button. 7 days later I'm 15st 4lbs. Not a bit hungry and feel great . Aim to get to 14 stone and into normal BMI territory.

4 weeks completed today down 14 pounds, apart from a small hiccup in week 3 have to say it ahs been fairly easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Oooh well this is a nice thread I've stumbled across.

I started eating a keto diet in 2013 and now 4 years later, it's just the norm for me.
    I started out at 107kg (nearly 17 stone and I'd say I was probably heavier than 17 stone at some points) and am now 75kg (just under 12 stone), trying to lose between 3 and 5 more kgs. I am 5ft 8" and female.

In the first 18 months I lost around 15kg (around 2.5 stone). This was through eating strict keto for around 9 months and lazy keto for around 9 months.
    I then decided to go all out strict keto, for my health moreso than my weight. I have experienced huge positive changes to my overall health as a result of the keto diet.
    So after reverting to strict keto, I lost around another 20kg (just over 3 stone).
    I bounced around 73kg and 78kg for around 6 months and started experimenting with carb cycling, which I have found very helpful in terms of stalls. So I have a carb meal every 2 weeks and this has been very successful for me in terms of losing the last 5kg or so. Since I started the carb cycling, I have continuously lost weight and kept it off.

So right now, I'm 75kg and still losing, I'd like to get to 72kg and see how I feel.

My best advice is that a keto diet is not one size fits all, it works for some people and doesn't work for others. It has worked for me. If you're thinking of giving it a go, do lots of research and put in 100% effort for the first month or so to really see if it suits you. If you give it a go, don't give into the initial cravings and you will see the results of your willpower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

erica74 wrote: »
    So I have a carb meal every 2 weeks and this has been very successful for me in terms of losing the last 5kg or so. Since I started the carb cycling, I have continuously lost weight and kept it off.

So you eat just 1 solitary carb meal once every 2 weeks and it makes that much of a difference ?

AllForIt wrote: »
    So you eat just 1 solitary carb meal once every 2 weeks and it makes that much of a difference ?

Yep, it seems to give things a kick-start.
    Prior to starting the carb cycling, I was stuck but since starting it, I have been steadily consistently losing again, with no other changes to my eating habits.
    I couldn't explain all the lingo but there's loads of info online about it.

I am feeling great on my meaty journey so far, the scale hasn't moved an awful lot since the initial half-stone drop (water weight I know), but I am already fitting better into clothes and have been getting a lot of "you look radiant" type comments, so I am delighted really. Plan to keep it up for sure :)

@erica74, congratulations.
    Couple of questions for you, with carb cycling, do you measure the amount of carbs that you eat in that meal?
    You lost an amazing amount of weight, how does your skin look? I have a fear that after losing 15+ kgs, that it i continue i will end up with baggy stomach skin, so I'm presently on a month off Keto.

Prior to starting the carb cycling, I was stuck but since starting it, I have been steadily consistently losing again, with no other changes to my eating habits.
    Is there a typo above. You got down to 73kg before carb cycling, but are 75kg now? Where did you stall?

Stalls are inevitably losing 10kg+. Your TDEE is probably down by 200 calories at rest. At 10kg it's a good time to recalculate
    requirements.

What you are doing is more cyclic keto (CKD) than carb cycling. Perfectly valid, it's actually what I do. But carb cycling is slightly different with less time in ketosis.

@erica74, congratulations.
    Couple of questions for you, with carb cycling, do you measure the amount of carbs that you eat in that meal?
    You lost an amazing amount of weight, how does your skin look? I have a fear that after losing 15+ kgs, that it i continue i will end up with baggy stomach skin, so I'm presently on a month off Keto.

No, I don't measure the carbs. One week it might be a chicken burger and chips, the next it might just be something like a nice dessert.
    Well I didn't have a "big" body if that makes any sense at all. I carried my weight all over so didn't have a big belly. And I'm 30 so my skin still has a lot of its elasticity. I have been lucky with my skin, no baggy excess skin thankfully. Sorry I can't give you better info than that.

Yeah I know what carb cycling is which is generally having a high carb day every few days in contrast to your one single high carb meal. I just find it amazing that by eating as you said a burger and chips meal that you lost significantly more weight. But as Mellor rightly pointed out your Keto cycling rather than carb-cycling so perhaps the strategy is even more effective on a Keto diet than a low carb diet.

Great example of a Keto success :)
    "I watch what I eat, I exercise regularly. I follow the ketogenic diet: it’s a low carb, high fat, medium protein diet and I think my body reacts well to it. There’s no sugar and you crave it initially, but after three weeks, you don’t even crave it anymore.

http://www.independent.ie/style/beauty/body/miss-universe-ireland-contestant-shares-her-seven-stone-weight-loss-journey-im-proud-to-show-off-my-hard-work-in-a-bikini-36076457.html

• Advertisement

Good for her, it isn't easy following a keto diet while doing long haul flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Can I ask where you get recipes and the like? I'm interested in trying a Ketosis diet, but I'm also cooking for a family, who wouldn't be dieting with me, so would need to find ways of adapting what I'm cooking and maybe a couple of recipes that I could do occasionally and just add spuds or pasta for hubby and kids.

Or am I being totally unrealistic here?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Good for her, it isn't easy following a keto diet while doing long haul flying.

It's pretty easy ime, just don't eat.

If your are adapted, going 24hrs plus without food is pretty easy especially when sedentary like long haul travelling

volchitsa wrote: »
    Can I ask where you get recipes and the like? I'm interested in trying a Ketosis diet, but I'm also cooking for a family, who wouldn't be dieting with me, so would need to find ways of adapting what I'm cooking and maybe a couple of recipes that I could do occasionally and just add spuds or pasta for hubby and kids.

No not unrealistic but your just going to have to put a bit more thought and effort into it. No matter what diet your on it's always going to be a bit trickier if your cooking for others but don't let that put you off.

Googleling 'keto recipes' will give you plenty results. Personally I haven't gone the 'keto recipie' route because I can't be arsed to make elaborate meals, I just eat stuff I ordinarily would but just cut out all the starchy carbs and high carb veg and make my meals fattier than usual. My main meal usually consist of some variety of meat and veg with cream or coconut milk as a sauce. You could simply add rice to those kinds of meals for your family and keep more of the sauce for yourself, for example.

Trying to use recipes will be awkward. Just make dinners with carbs on the side for the family. Eg they have meat and potatoes, you have meat and veg etc.
    My last few dinners have been steak, roast chicken, salmon, and burgers (with salad and cheese, no bun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

AllForIt wrote: »
    No not unrealistic but your just going to have to put a bit more thought and effort into it. No matter what diet your on it's always going to be a bit trickier if your cooking for others but don't let that put you off.

Googleling 'keto recipes' will give you plenty results. Personally I haven't gone the 'keto recipie' route because I can't be arsed to make elaborate meals, I just eat stuff I ordinarily would but just cut out all the starchy carbs and high carb veg and make my meals fattier than usual. My main meal usually consist of some variety of meat and veg with cream or coconut milk as a sauce. You could simply add rice to those kinds of meals for your family and keep more of the sauce for yourself, for example.

Cauliflower is a great rice substitute is those situations.

• Advertisement

Try here.
    http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Since I've been on keto I wake with a heavy feeling in my stomach especially first thing in the morning lasting for a couple of hours or so. I didn't mind at first as I felt it quelled my hunger and made it easy to go the first few hours of the day without eating but now I find it rather uncomfortable. As a experiment this weekend I ate high carbs , no fat - next day the feeling was gone. I do normally eat my meals at the latter end of the day and would find it very difficult to do it the other way around although it would normally be 2 hours before I sleep that I would have my last meal of the day. I eat a lot of cheese and bacon. I wonder if anyone has/had the same issue and if so did it improve naturally over time or did you take steps to alleviate it?

As a experiment this weekend I ate high carbs , no fat - next day the feeling was gone
    So you kicked yourself out of KETO? 
    What do you mean by a heavy feeling?

Yes I supended my keto journey - I'll the on the beer tonight for a special occasion so I though I'd take the whole weekend off the Keto. By a heavy feeling I mean as if one ate too much but without the bloat as if one did. Can't think of a better way to describe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

just started it today.
    partner is starting too so should make dinners easier.

thoughts of not eating chipper chips for a long time :(

friends been doing it about 6 months, lost loads of weight, said the 3rd day can be a nightmare of ehadaches and tiredness... not looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement