Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dresser restoration

Options
  • 10-11-2016 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi All

Just looking for some general advice.

Mrs Cupán Tae inherited a dresser that used to belong to her grandmother. Its very sentimental so we're looking to tidy it up a bit but obviously want to keep it close to original (i.e. we wont be painting this duck egg blue or anything). I guess sand it and apply a finish. We'll be doing the work ourselves but have no experience with furniture restoration. So just looking for input\guidance

I've no idea what type if wood its made from, We know there wasn't much money back then so the type of timber may reflect that - a wild guess but would it be 60's\70's era. Wouldnt mind some info if anyone can shed any light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

cupan_tae wrote: »
    Hi All

Just looking for some general advice.

Mrs Cupán Tae inherited a dresser that used to belong to her grandmother. Its very sentimental so we're looking to tidy it up a bit but obviously want to keep it close to original (i.e. we wont be painting this duck egg blue or anything). I guess sand it and apply a finish. We'll be doing the work ourselves but have no experience with furniture restoration. So just looking for input\guidance

I've no idea what type if wood its made from, We know there wasn't much money back then so the type of timber may reflect that - a wild guess but would it be 60's\70's era. Wouldnt mind some info if anyone can shed any light.

Looks like a 1930s chest of drawers with mirror. 'Dressers' are the traditional painted crockery holders found in your average cottage. It just needs a clean up. Rustins market a 'Furniture restorer ' which is a safe bet followed by a coat of wax. They also make a ' Ring Remover' if those white stains prove stubborn.Don't sand it as you will turn the job into a nightmare.:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it'll lose its patina if you sand it. plus, as recipio mentioned, you'll be killed trying to get into all the corners trying to sand it to an even finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

What part of the country are you in? There is a class in furniture restoration in an adult Ed centre in Gorey. Guy who gives it is excellent. Pm me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

Thanks guys am looking into the rustins scratch cover which I think is the product you refer to.

Thanks for the tip re: not sanding also

I'm probably over cautious as obviously don't want to ruin the thing given its sentimental value.

Thanks re: class offer but not at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

cupan_tae wrote: »
    Thanks guys am looking into the rustins scratch cover which I think is the product you refer to.

Thanks for the tip re: not sanding also

I'm probably over cautious as obviously don't want to ruin the thing given its sentimental value.

Thanks re: class offer but not at the moment

Sorry, getting the names mixed up. They also make a 'Finish Reviver' but I think the scratch cover is the one you need. There are medium and dark versions - I think medium is the one you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement