Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn choking

Options
  • 10-11-2016 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this before... my 7 week old son has woken up choking on his saliva twice in the last 24 hours. He gets quite distressed understandably & although he's managing to clear his airway himself I'm worried about leaving him alone for a second. There are bubbles in his saliva & a tiny amount of vomit. On both occasions it has been after a long sleep (so it's not happening immediately after feeding, he normally goes asleep on my breast & I pop him into his pram or Moses basket).
    He rarely gets sick so I don't think it's reflux but I'm wondering because I'm exclusively breastfeeding, could I have eaten something that disagreed with him? Although I don't think I've eaten anything unusual in the last 24 hours so maybe I'm just clutching at straws here!

I've an appointment in the rotunda tomorrow for myself so I'm going to ask a midwife about it then anyway but just wondering if anyone had experienced this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sounds like silent reflux maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Sounds like silent reflux to me too. My little guy had this, it's very frightening to watch when they are so small. I used to sit up all night staring at him. There were bubbles coming out of his mouth at times.
    We tried loads of things, propping the moses basket up a bit so he wasn't lying totally flat. Changed him to comfort formula which was a little thicker.
    We ended up putting him on Zantac and Losec when he was a little bigger.

I would say it to your g.p or public health nurse if you are concerned.
    My guy eventually grew out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wotzit

Tks for replies ... I've googled this (I had wanted to avoid putting the symptoms into a google search before I asked here - I just find it does more harm than good to my anxiety levels!) & im getting more info on silent reflux & it sounds like it might be it. It seems it's sometimes triggered by food & dairy products where mentioned which got me thinking. I had ice cream for the first time in weeks so maybe if I cut this out it might work. I'll keep an eye on it.

Jesus it had to be ice cream - couldn't have been broccoli no ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If you are worried about choking you could look into getting a snuza hero. It's a breathing monitor that clips to the nappy. So works in car, pram etc everywhere If it doesn't detect breathing it vibrates and sounds am alarm. Have found it great peace of mind on both my kids

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Oh Wotzit, I know exactly how you are feeling. My second little one now 21 month old had that, it started the day he was born and happened a few times after. I couldn’t take my eyes off him and he slept on my chest with me slightly sitting up for nearly 3 months. There were some really scary moments.

Crumlin Hospital said it was probably reflux and he would grow out of it (which he did). They recommended gavison but I never gave it as I had read so much about gavision and losec being a slippery slope. They also recommended baby first aid/cpr. I ended up purchasing the Respisense which is similar to the Snuza but unlike the Snuza you can use it in a car or buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Our little fella had similar and it was reflux. We found a wedge pillow good for it while he was asleep. We had the clevamama sleep positioner one.

Maybe give your phn a ring and ask if you're concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wotzit

Guys thanks for all the replies ... Honestly I don't know what I would have done without boards in the last few weeks it's just a wealth of knowledge! So my little man is nearly 10 weeks now & I've come to the conclusion that he was just choking on saliva - he's started to teeth so is drooling a lot & I think he just didn't know what to do with all this extra saliva! So not silent reflux like I thought .... bring on the ice cream ....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

It also could be mucous. Babies that age can't cough to clear their lungs and kind of vomit it up. Mine ended up in hospital at 6 weeks for 5 days. She had broncolittis and RSV. She used to like choke i was terrified. Best wishes

uote="Wotzit;101617981"]Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this before... my 7 week old son has woken up choking on his saliva twice in the last 24 hours. He gets quite distressed understandably & although he's managing to clear his airway himself I'm worried about leaving him alone for a second. There are bubbles in his saliva & a tiny amount of vomit. On both occasions it has been after a long sleep (so it's not happening immediately after feeding, he normally goes asleep on my breast & I pop him into his pram or Moses basket).
    He rarely gets sick so I don't think it's reflux but I'm wondering because I'm exclusively breastfeeding, could I have eaten something that disagreed with him? Although I don't think I've eaten anything unusual in the last 24 hours so maybe I'm just clutching at straws here!

I've an appointment in the rotunda tomorrow for myself so I'm going to ask a midwife about it then anyway but just wondering if anyone had experienced this.[/quote]

Advertisement