Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSN Hacked ...again?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

About 4-5 of the lads in the Destiny PS Clan had their accounts hacked in the past week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

What is it with PSN that makes it such a target? If I give payment details to a service, they should be protected from this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BigJimsCack

A friend of mine was hacked just yesterday, had me checking for breaches on my end. Getting really tired of this ****e, so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Again? Suppose I'll just have to unlink all payment options from my account and go back to buying top up vouchers from Gamestop like 10 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'd advise people to change your PSN passwords. Be safe, even if you don't have a payment profile saved.

If you have been hacked here is a useful guide for what to do. It was written during a previous PSN hack so Its very informative.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/695148/PlayStation-hacked-What-to-do-when-your-PSN-account-gets-hacked

Currently the hack is effecting UK and Ireland PSN customers but its spreading.

*My advice , never leave payment details on PSN. Just add them to make a purchase and then Remove it once your purchase Is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Garseys wrote: »
    What is it with PSN that makes it such a target? If I give payment details to a service, they should be protected from this crap.

It seems to be stemming from the hacking of services (unrelated to PSN/SEN), then using the stolen login details from those hacks to attempt to access PSN accounts. It appears that breach of Yahoo!Mail from 2014 seemed to accelerate the attempted hijacking of PSN accounts quite a bit, especially since September of this year when it was made public. I wouldn't be surprised if login details are being traded on the dark web.

The DDoS attack last month on PSN fell at around the same time as that hack being made pubic, so maybe some security measures where compromised within the service itself, but can't be for certain. It's true that we are seeing more and more Irish accounts falling victim to hijacking recently, it's evident from a few posters here on Boards.

Two-step verification is a must now for PSN, and at least Sony give that option now so I do think they're trying to do something about it. I know it can be a pain to use in certain circumstances, but there's really no excuse not to use it nowadays.

I'm not up to scratch on the whole technicality of how passwords work etc but my friend told me that because of previous hack he set up a fresh account with no links to anything.

He's also just off the phone to PayPal (as his details were linked to the account) and he's been told to contact Sony I'm the first instance as PayPal will put through an indemnity(?) claim which will result in the account receiving a temporary ban.

Bloody Sony....again.

I'm not up to scratch on the whole technicality of how passwords work etc but my friend told me that because of previous hack he set up a fresh account with no links to anything.

He's also just off the phone to PayPal (as his details were linked to the account) and he's been told to contact Sony I'm the first instance as PayPal will put through an indemnity(?) claim which will result in the account receiving a temporary ban.

Bloody Sony....again.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Absolute joke! I bought a PS4 for No Man's Sky (a massive bust) and now I get hacked. Only my PSN that was hacked because all my other systems are fine so must me a Sony issue. Thankfully only had my paypal linked so cancelled that and my card is safe!

Now I have to wait until I go home next to get the serial number to request them to give me back my stolen money (which will probably take ages). Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Selling this feckin thing as soon as I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Nailz wrote: »
    It seems to be stemming from the hacking of services (unrelated to PSN/SEN), then using the stolen login details from those hacks to attempt to access PSN accounts. It appears that breach of Yahoo!Mail from 2014 seemed to accelerate the attempted hijacking of PSN accounts quite a bit, especially since September of this year when it was made public. I wouldn't be surprised if login details are being traded on the dark web.

The DDoS attack last month on PSN fell at around the same time as that hack being made pubic, so maybe some security measures where compromised within the service itself, but can't be for certain. It's true that we are seeing more and more Irish accounts falling victim to hijacking recently, it's evident from a few posters here on Boards.

Two-step verification is a must now for PSN, and at least Sony give that option now so I do think they're trying to do something about it. I know it can be a pain to use in certain circumstances, but there's really no excuse not to use it nowadays.

I get where you're coming from. The company I work for seen a big rise in people attempting access to accounts based on the yahoo group hack.

Im not stupid that I have the same passwords for everything but is it getting to the point where Im gonna have to change my password monthly on a service because they're being comprimised so regularly.

And yes Im fully aware that you should change passwords often (which I do for email, work etc) but this is beyond a joke.

• Advertisement

• Fs Sony
    Again with the **** ups
    I've changed my password just to be sure
    Does anyone use the pin function?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭baldshin

Mine was hacked too, account is only a few weeks old. €150 taken during the night from paypal, had an email from Sony refunding it this morning. Their customer service is a joke, 30 minute wait time on a number that's not freephone!!!? I don't have time to wait for them!

I can't sign in online to remove my payment details as it says my email is invalid, and have no access to my PS4 until tomorrow. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fs Sony
    Again with the **** ups
    I've changed my password just to be sure
    Does anyone use the pin function?

The destiny heads are recommending using the 2 factor and a few have set it up already with no issues etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

never leave payment details on PSN. Just add them to make a purchase and then Remove it once your purchase Is complete.

Yeah this is what I've done now - removed all payment methods and only add them temporarily when I want to buy something. Also changed my PSN password and setup 2-step verification (mad not to have that activated these days).

Also removed my PSN ID from my boards sig just in case. :pac:

baldshin wrote: »
    Mine was hacked too, account is only a few weeks old. €150 taken during the night from paypal, had an email from Sony refunding it this morning. Their customer service is a joke, 30 minute wait time on a number that's not freephone!!!? I don't have time to wait for them!

I can't sign in online to remove my payment details as it says my email is invalid, and have no access to my PS4 until tomorrow. Any ideas?

How did you get a refund so quick do you mind me asking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to be absolutely clear here, lest there be any unjustified alarm: there is no evidence or indication of another hack on PSN ala the infamous one.

Mostly there is some suggestion of a systematic, focused and brute force attempt to gain access to individual user accounts, perhaps related to a separate hack of another service (yahoo, maybe, but potentially others). While this is less than ideal, it would - if accurate - be largely outside Sony's control. Their response could almost definitely be more robust after the fact (and potentially before the fact too), but there is also an onus on the user to make sure their account is well protected with unique passwords and two step verification. Storing payment info would also be advised against: the minor inconvenience of having to input it when needed is preferable the consequences of a potential hack. The advice to change your password is sound, but mostly it's something that should be done relatively regularly anyway across all your different web accounts.

As ****ty as it is to get hit with this, there are many people out there committing resources and time to such online theft. But that's not unique to PSN sadly, even if it does seem a particular target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭baldshin

How did you get a refund so quick do you mind me asking?

It was all automatic. Woke up to an email from paypal with the money taken, and another with it refunded by Sony. Changed my paypal password now but can't log in to PSN as it doesn't recognise my email address.

• Just to be absolutely clear here, lest there be any unjustified alarm: there is no evidence or indication of another hack on PSN ala the infamous one.

Mostly there is some suggestion of a systematic, focused and brute force attempt to gain access to individual user accounts, perhaps related to a separate hack of another service (yahoo, maybe, but potentially others). While this is less than ideal, it would - if accurate - be largely outside Sony's control. Their response could almost definitely be more robust after the fact (and potentially before the fact too), but there is also an onus on the user to make sure their account is well protected with unique passwords and two step verification. Storing payment info would also be advised against: the minor inconvenience of having to input it when needed is preferable the consequences of a potential hack. The advice to change your password is sound, but mostly it's something that should be done relatively regularly anyway across all your different web accounts.

As ****ty as it is to get hit with this, there are many people out there committing resources and time to such online theft. But that's not unique to PSN sadly, even if it does seem a particular target.
    Says who? I'm going to blame Sony like I'd blame PayPal , Ms or anyone else until I get confirmation otherwise.
    My passwords are strong and I change them regularly. Don't care who's attacking them, I expect Sony to a proper job.

Says who? I'm going to blame Sony like I'd blame PayPal , Ms or anyone else until I get confirmation otherwise.
    My passwords are strong and I change them regularly. Don't care who's attacking them, I expect Sony to a proper job.

Well the attack is not network wide and is only hitting select accounts. If it was a sony breach then far more accounts would be compromised by now.

• jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well the attack is not network wide and is only hitting select accounts. If it was a sony breach then far more accounts would be compromised by now.

Is this thread about accounts being compromised or some defence of Sony in light of the incident.
    Again I don't care why this has happened but it has happened to PSN in some way and I will blame Sony. End of

• Advertisement

Is this thread about accounts being compromised or some defence of Sony in light of the incident.
    Again I don't care why this has happened but it has happened to PSN in some way and I will blame Sony. End of

Sorry Mick but if people use the same credentials on different sites (And then one of those sites get hacked) then no its not Sony's fault for letting this happen it is the users fault for not having different passwords!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If there was a breach - widespread or otherwise - Sony deserve blame. Will be first in line to criticise them if that's the case, given past form.

Without any evidence of a breach, I'm not sure what we're blaming them for. Except for maybe their often ****ty response to individual account compromises.

Similar account hacks happen across different services. Skype, for example: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/8/13561024/microsoft-skype-baidu-linkedin-hack

We don't require an admission of guilt to suffice as sufficient evidence. The thread hasn't been up long and we're already hearing stories from people who have been hacked around the same time. That's all I need to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I had an attempted hack on my account. Thankfully I have 2 step verification active. I searched where it may have come from and my email/passwords have been swiped from Yahoo, LinkedIn and Last FM data thefts in the recent past.

I highly doubt its a Sony hack, nor them being compromised. Its fools like myself that don't use different passwords for different sites/logins etc.

Just to be absolutely clear here, lest there be any unjustified alarm: there is no evidence or indication of another hack on PSN ala the infamous one.

Ok thanks for the little it's not Sony's fault post, does feck all to make me happier about being €150 lighter this morning.

Just so I can be clear, I own n xbox and a PS4 and don't really care for which one's "better". I actually have very few online accounts and none which link to my PSN account. The only email I got this morning was from Sony saying I was now €150 lighter and someone had changed my log in details. It then took me two hours to get in touch to get access back to my account which went by without further event (through sheer luck).

Whatever anyone may think, or opinions or agendas you may have clear fact is that I'm light money this morning and it's because of an attack on Sony's systems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It is worrying the amount of people on boards over the last few weeks who have been hacked. It'd be interesting to know if these people had a password that was used across multiple accounts, one of which may have been compromised. As linked to another thread, you can check if any of your accounts have been compromised on HaveIBeenPwned.com.

I do laugh at the blame culture though, there is nothing to suggest at the moment this is Sony's fault, so lets hold off on blaming them for now. After all, if somebody else has your login details then Sony can not be blamed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

If there was a breach - widespread or otherwise - Sony deserve blame. Will be first in line to criticise them if that's the case, given past form.

Without any evidence of a breach, I'm not sure what we're blaming them for. Except for maybe their often ****ty response to individual account compromises.

Similar account hacks happen across different services. Skype, for example: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/8/13561024/microsoft-skype-baidu-linkedin-hack
    While I can agree with some of what you said in previous posts I find your opinion to be slightly naive.

Sony is never going to come out and provide evidence of their own inadequacies and say yes we have been breached.

Also its very easy to point the finger and say its the users fault and Hey. . look its happens to this other company so Its the norm and acceptable.

From reading up comments and posts it isnt people using the same login details as other services. Ask people who were hacked both here and on your friends list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

I have payment details on my PSN. Can't check if I've been hacked yet. Cud they steal my information?

Glico Man wrote: »
    I had an attempted hack on my account. Thankfully I have 2 step verification active. I searched where it may have come from and my email/passwords have been swiped from Yahoo, LinkedIn and Last FM data thefts in the recent past.

I highly doubt its a Sony hack, nor them being compromised. Its fools like myself that don't use different passwords for different sites/logins etc.
    From reading up comments and posts it isnt people using the same login details as other services. Ask people who were hacked both here and on your friends list.

Theres 1 person admitting they used the same credentials in this very thread.

Sorry but everyone that I have heard from have used the same passwords on Yahoo etc maybe 1 or 2 didnt but majority have admitted to using the same passwords and lets be honest 80+ % of people use the same credentials on most places online as remembering numerous logins can be tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Ok thanks for the little it's not Sony's fault post, does feck all to make me happier about being €150 lighter this morning.

Just so I can be clear, I own n xbox and a PS4 and don't really care for which one's "better". I actually have very few online accounts and none which link to my PSN account. The only email I got this morning was from Sony saying I was now €150 lighter and someone had changed my log in details. It then took me two hours to get in touch to get access back to my account which went by without further event (through sheer luck).

Whatever anyone may think, or opinions or agendas you may have clear fact is that I'm light money this morning and it's because of an attack on Sony's systems

So you've an email address and password that you just use for psn? You didn't have the two step verification set up?

Maybe it is Sony's fault and maybe it's not, we don't know yet. What we do know is that they accessed your PayPal account through Sony, but we don't know how they got your information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement