Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSN Hacked ...again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Theres 1 person admitting they used the same credentials in this very thread.

1 person!

Thats hardly definitive when there are huge numbers of people reporting hacked accounts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

1 person!

Thats hardly definitive when there are huge numbers of people reporting hacked accounts.

1 person in THIS thread..... there are hardly hundreds of people in this thread stating that they didnt use the same credentials. I have already said that numerous others on my PSN friends list have been hacked and 95% of them said they used the same details on Yahoo that they used on PSN!!! People really need to take their heads out of their a$$e$ and accept responsibility for their own actions!

My account was hacked earlier on this year, did I blame Sony? No I didnt because it was my stupidity for using the same password as other places on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sony is never going to come out and provide evidence of their own inadequacies and say yes we have been breached.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/

Don't get me wrong: fully sympathy to whoever's accounts were compromised. Fully acknowledge it seems to be a relatively common problem based on anecdotal evidence. Just worth highlighting there's no further evidence - whether that's a Sony acknowledgement or information made available elsewhere - of a full scale breach yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Theres 1 person admitting they used the same credentials in this very thread.

Sorry but everyone that I have heard from have used the same passwords on Yahoo etc maybe 1 or 2 didnt but majority have admitted to using the same passwords and lets be honest 80+ % of people use the same credentials on most places online as remembering numerous logins can be tedious.
    Jesus wake up will you its your fault for using similar passwords etc talk....

So to someone abused by priests would you tell them it's your fault for being a vulnerable child

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Sony is never going to come out and provide evidence of their own inadequacies and say yes we have been breached.

They did exactly this after the infamous hack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

So to someone abused by priests would you tell them it's your fault for being a vulnerable child

Wow, that's some jump.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Here WTF has a child been abused got to do with having your PSN account hacked? Stop spouting rubbish.

Did Sony tell any user to make sure their credentials are the same as other websites..... No they didnt, you are responsible for your own account and its security so if your security is lacking then thats your own fault! Theres hundreds of lads on here that play the PS daily and post here daily, I dont see many screaming of a Mass hack and sony to blame only a small few people are at it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it civil please, no need for this type of tone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Benzino wrote: »

Eventually. It took them a long time, if you remember correctly.

But I'd say the reason Sony are being targeted is because of the email address being used to login instead of a username.

What can they do in my account apart from change login details. If I remember correctly, paypal requires a password before adding funds so just keeping the account would be the main issue.

Benzino wrote: »

Indeed they did because it was too big to hide. It was a global breach.

However I give Sony credit for at least acknowledging they have been some what compromised.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/

Give credit where its due. However they need to up their game. This issue seems endless., usually every few months although this seems like the largest hack in quite a while.

Like many posters here I just don't keep payment details on PSN anymore. The risk is too great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Haven't been on in a good while but have a question nonetheless. I've got a separate money card anyway - no bank or bank card details on the Internet - so they're welcome to the fiver on it right now, but every time I've used it, I've always gone to my account and removed the billing info regardless. Name is misspelled, address is fake, but card numbers, emails, that kind of thing are real. And I have had good money on that card in the past, with some future plans, too...

If they're removed are they actually removed? Or are they simply stored internally out of my sight, still attainable by hackers?
    Because people with their everything on it would be in trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

CastorTroy wrote: »

But I'd say the reason Sony are being targeted is because of the email address being used to login instead of a username.

What can they do in my account apart from change login details. If I remember correctly, paypal requires a password before adding funds so just keeping the account would be the main issue.

I have no payment stuff linked but I believe it can be a nightmare getting your account back, which is a problem for an online junkie.

CastorTroy wrote: »

My paypal didnt need my password whenever I used it (This may be a setting when setting it up) but I have it removed now and I only have an old expired bank card still attached to the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I lost my account last week and 50 euro taken from card on PayPal, thankfully PayPal refunded it after I flagged the transaction on their site.

Still haven't retrieved my account. I will admit I used the same password for several sites but have stopped doing so recently. According to pwned my email etc. was exposed once when last.fm was hacked a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

My paypal didnt need my password whenever I used it (This may be a setting when setting it up) but I have it removed now and I only have an old expired bank card still attached to the account.

Have you 2-step verification set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Between work and real life I have so many passwords it's beyond ridiculous. Constantly locking myself out / resetting passwords just to login. Hackers have a better chance of getting into some of my accounts than I do.

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Have you 2-step verification set up?

At the time I didnt but now I do :)

At the time I didnt but now I do :)

Its the only way to be really safe apart from changing your password every week..

Its the only way to be really safe apart from changing your password every week..

Im a fecker for changing mine alot, Im so used to changing all my passwords in work every month that when I get home I do the same on all the accounts I use haha

Im a fecker for changing mine alot, Im so used to changing all my passwords in work every month that when I get home I do the same on all the accounts I use haha

i change mine often but only because i forget what it is,who knew dimentia had its advantages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Exactly, with 2SV you can keep whatever password you want for however long you want. Unless somebody literally went into your home and stole your PlayStation consoles/your phone, or hacked the cyber-security organisation that provides 2SV (fat chance!), it'd be nearly impossible to hijack your account.

• jonnycivic wrote: »
    Sorry Mick but if people use the same credentials on different sites (And then one of those sites get hacked) then no its not Sony's fault for letting this happen it is the users fault for not having different passwords!!

1 person here. That is all.
    I can understand people providing helpful information in relation to what to do if your account was compromised as that should be the main point of this thread.
    However seems like certain people are going out of there way to provide paragraphs of irrelevant information on how its not Sonys fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I lost my account last week and 50 euro taken from card on PayPal, thankfully PayPal refunded it after I flagged the transaction on their site.

Still haven't retrieved my account. I will admit I used the same password for several sites but have stopped doing so recently. According to pwned my email etc. was exposed once when last.fm was hacked a few years ago.

Wouldn't expect to get that account back now, it's probably banned.

Never been hacked on PSN, have had my details taken on the Xbox store and purchases made. Think that a lot of it is down to people reusing the same credentials across multiple sites, I have a different password for each site so maybe that helps. Sony have a really bad rep but anytime I have had to contact them it's been a breeze, granted it was to return a faulty PS3 but they sorted it in no time.

I don't think that Sony was hacked, asked someone who would know given that they work there and from what they said the issue is people using the same password across multiple sites. I've seen similar things cause account compromises on Origin, Steam, PSN, Xbox, Spotify, Amazon, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Varik wrote: »
    Wouldn't expect to get that account back now, it's probably banned.

Ahh, I didn't use it much anyway. I heard they banned accounts that got refunds that way but I wanted the 50 euro more haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I can understand people providing helpful information in relation to what to do if your account was compromised as that should be the main point of this thread.
    However seems like certain people are going out of there way to provide paragraphs of irrelevant information on how its not Sonys fault.

It's common sense though. Uses of identical passwords across multiple sites is a major problem and cause of these issues. That isn't Sony's fault, it is the fault of the millions of idiots - myself included - who can't remember multiple passwords.

Where Sony are to blame is the use of an email address instead of a username for the log-in which makes them an obvious target for criminals with hacked Yahoo/LinkedIn, etc details. From what I recall (could be wrong) this was discussed during the big hack and it seems those usernames can't be added now.

There has been no proof of a hack with Sony to blame and majority of responses here have all said the same thing about reusing credentials.
    If any irrelevant information has been given here it hasnt been given by me, as I said I have spoke directly to numerous users who have been "hacked" and they have all attributed it to the hack on Yahoo as they used the same details there, funnily only about a month ago those Yahoo details emerged on the dark web just before all these hacks began!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No offence Mick, but I can't see how it's irrelevant information as it clearly points to a potential source for the hijacking of PSN accounts. Add that in with the fact that there's not a single piece of evidence that shows there's a breach on Sony's side, then the use of compromised data from the hacking of external services is the obvious source.

There is a reason why Yahoo! and every other large web-based service provider who have been hacked suggests it's users change their similar login information on other web accounts once those breaches are made public; it's for instances like this, where such information can be used to compromise accounts on other services.

There has been no proof of a hack with Sony to blame and majority of responses here have all said the same thing about reusing credentials.
    If any irrelevant information has been given here it hasnt been given by me, as I said I have spoke directly to numerous users who have been "hacked" and they have all attributed it to the hack on Yahoo as they used the same details there, funnily only about a month ago those Yahoo details emerged on the dark web just before all these hacks began!

There is one major flaw in the argument put forward here regarding users using the same credentials on a third party service/website.

Why is only PSN effected??

If so many peoples email addresses and passwords are the same across varies websites/services why hasn't Xbox Live accounts been compromised.

If your theory was correct why haven't other services been compromised using those credentials and fraudulent charges made. Again its just PSN.

I think its obvious where the blame lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

There is one major flaw in the argument put forward here regarding users using the same credentials on a third party service/website.

Why is only PSN effected??

If so many peoples email addresses and passwords are the same across varies websites/services why hasn't Xbox Live accounts been compromised.

If your theory was correct why haven't other services been compromised using those credentials and fraudulent charges made. Again its just PSN.

I think its obvious where the blame lies.

I'm sure as time passes, more people will notice money missing from their accounts from stored payment details or their login details no longer allowing them access. PSN is an easy target as, like me, most people would use the same login details from somewhere else. Someone else mentioned Steam, Spotify, Amazon etc... all easy targets for fraudsters.

Whoever tried to get into my account would be able to get access to my Boards account for example. I've since changed it, and gone through LastPass to change anything that might be similar.

And tbh, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the same details are still being used by PSN users from the Sony hack in 2011.

Not to mention the fact that 90% of "your password has been changed/update your details" emails are actually fake themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement