Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSN Hacked ...again?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There is one major flaw in the argument put forward here regarding users using the same credentials on a third party service/website.

Why is only PSN effected??

If so many peoples email addresses and passwords are the same across varies websites/services why hasn't Xbox Live accounts been compromised.

If your theory was correct why haven't other services been compromised using those credentials and fraudulent charges made. Again its just PSN.

I think its obvious where the blame lies.

Because PSN uses the email address and not a username to login, alink was posted back in this thread for a website to see if your accounts have been compromised. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Why dont you take a look, go enter your username and see how many breaches are found. Then go and enter your email address, you will notice that the email address is the common denominator in most hacks as its the most commonly used identifier used.

Now I will share my details for the above website just to show you.....
    When i enter my username I get 0 hits, I enter my email address and there were 3 breaches which may have an effect on me:

DLH.net
    Paddy Power
    NextGenUpdate

Now as I previously said my account was hacked already and from the above list I can tell you that the culprit was NextGenUpdate as it was the only one that still had the same email/password combo on it in line with my PSN!

From the report "NextGenUpdate: Early in 2014, the video game website NextGenUpdate reportedly suffered a data breach that disclosed almost 1.2 million accounts. Amongst the data breach was usernames, email addresses, IP addresses and salted and hashed passwords.

Compromised data: Email addresses, IP addresses, Passwords, Usernames"

Now it was 100% my fault for not changing my password on PSN as a few months later my PSN got hacked. Now not one of my accounts uses the same login because this is becoming more and more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Because PSN uses the email address and not a username to login,

Just like Amazon, Ebay and millions of other websites.

Also Xbox live uses email address and not usernames to login. So If your theory was true why hasn't there been a wave of hacks there and of course all those other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Something has definitely gone awry lads, and for once I think The Know could be right....

I hate that bloody clickbait YT channel... :P

There has to be some kind of torrent with a lot of people's details or something else like a PW cracker software on the dark web...

Seems to be heaps of people asking PSNUK on Twitter...

I'd usually be first to defend MS especially and Sony when it comes to this third party hacking stuff but this seems super widespread on PSN lately from what I can see, and I'd say Sony are keeping schtum as they fear 2010 all over again...

I've not been hacked so far on PSN, I did change my details after the big PS3 hack and several times since and added 2 step verification to my account...

Another idea is they are hacking your PSN via a third party, I.E through your Origin/EA account, as it always seems to be either Madden or FIFA money that gets put onto your account...

I worked in Xbox for a while years ago around the launch of the One and this stuff was rife, but always usually from a third party - EA being the biggest culprit's IMO, probably followed by Rockstar, some amount of people hacked for GTA shark money...

The main Tier 1 dudes in MS and Sony can get to the bottom of it with their tools, a Gilly on the phone can usually just request a refund for you or send to relevant department...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just like Amazon, Ebay and millions of other websites.

Also Xbox live uses email address and not usernames to login. So If your theory was true why hasn't there been a wave of hacks there and of course all those other services.

OK, have any of you naysayers that are blaming sony been hacked?
    If so go to the link I supplied and see which of your accounts were pawned and then confirm 110% that you didnt use the same password as any of those breaches on your PSN account because not 1 person has done that yet in this thread yet they are 100% convinved by a video entitled "Playstation Network hacked again?". Take note of the question mark, they are only asking a question its no proof of it been mass scale hacked!

Not once has anyone provided proof that this is Sony's fault so I am calling typical Xbox vs PS bull on this now at this stage and for anyone wondering I have both consoles and enjoy them both!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BigJimsCack

Civic, excuse me if my comment is misaligned but you appear to be very defensive over Sony and I have to ask why? This isn't a case of fanboyism, this is mutual playstation gamers airing their contempt for a company that has a long track record of hacks and breaches we have evert right to be cautious considering their track record.

I was hit by the 2010 hack and it flags on that link but I've had no issues aside from attempts to access my account. Unsuccessfully of course.

I also own an Xbox and Steam....no issues. So third party screw ups aside I'm left with the only conclusion is that whilst the hacks may not be Sonys fault, their security is inept, either that or Steam and Xbox are leagues better.

• Advertisement

OK, have any of you naysayers that are blaming sony been hacked?
    If so go to the link I supplied and see which of your accounts were pawned and then confirm 110% that you didnt use the same password as any of those breaches on your PSN account because not 1 person has done that yet in this thread yet they are 100% convinved by a video entitled "Playstation Network hacked again?". Take note of the question mark, they are only asking a question its no proof of it been mass scale hacked!

Not once has anyone provided proof that this is Sony's fault so I am calling typical Xbox vs PS bull on this now at this stage and for anyone wondering I have both consoles and enjoy them both!

You need to look at Sony support sub reddits and Sony support Twitter pages.

I think its says a lot that you are chalking this up to Xbox vs PS bull.

Sony isn't going to come out and say yes we have a major issue and here is the evidence. Thats if they are fault but lets face it we are not talking a network with an amazing security record. I would chew the face off Xbox, Nintendo or any online service if the roles were reversed.

IMO one of the reasons things are slow to change at Sony is that so many Playstation users defend them so vigorously.

This has zero to do with fanboys or companies at the end of the day guys, same goes for Steam, XBL, my Gmail, and every other service I log into...

The only time someone tried to hack me was to get my gamer tag from the OG Xbox days, apparently pre 360 GTs were a target, thankfully 2 step was in at that stage and they could not get it...

My missus Gmail was hacked and the only thing we could attribute to it was a Chinese phone she was using at time, about 5am her phone started going mental with notifications and she apparently spent 500 euros on some coins for a Chinese game, Google actually video called us from Gmail and sorted it there and then when we sussed what was happening....

• Ah the old "Xbox 1 v PS4 card" has been pulled out the bag
    You will find that most of the posters in here own a PS4, PS3 and even a PS2 for that matter
    Not sure why this has any relevance in people being critical of Sony in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

My god,can people not understand that defending Sony blindly and saying lets wait till we get more info on whats going on before we jump to conclusions are two totally different and seperate things?

Civic, excuse me if my comment is misaligned but you appear to be very defensive over Sony and I have to ask why? This isn't a case of fanboyism, this is mutual playstation gamers airing their contempt for a company that has a long track record of hacks and breaches we have evert right to be cautious considering their track record.

I was hit by the 2010 hack and it flags on that link but I've had no issues aside from attempts to access my account. Unsuccessfully of course.

I also own an Xbox and Steam....no issues. So third party screw ups aside I'm left with the only conclusion is that whilst the hacks may not be Sonys fault, their security is inept, either that or Steam and Xbox are leagues better.

I am defending them because as I have already posted in this thread that I have spoke to numerous people in regards to this and they all pretty much said that this has come about in the last month since the yahoo hack details were released on the dark web and it just so happens that their yahoo account details were the exact same as their PSN! If it was a large mass scale attack on the PSN network why is there only a small handful of people affected out of the hundreds of regular users on boards if its really a PSN security issue?? If you look in other threads in the playstation forum you will see other users putting their hands up stating their account details were the same as their leaked hacked details online so hardly a coincidence now is it!

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah the old "Xbox 1 v PS4 card" has been pulled out the bag
    You will find that most of the posters in here own a PS4, PS3 and even a PS2 for that matter
    Not sure why this has any relevance in people being critical of Sony in this case

Be critical of Sony WHEN and only WHEN its proven that SONY ARE AT FAULT!!!!
    Upto now its all blind speculation from people that just want to blame someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I am defending them because as I have already posted in this thread that I have spoke to numerous people in regards to this and they all pretty much said that this has come about in the last month since the yahoo hack details were released on the dark web and it just so happens that their yahoo account details were the exact same as their PSN! If it was a large mass scale attack on the PSN network why is there only a small handful of people affected out of the hundreds of regular users on boards if its really a PSN security issue?? If you look in other threads in the playstation forum you will see other users putting their hands up stating their account details were the same as their leaked hacked details online so hardly a coincidence now is it!

I don't know why your bothering mate . A lot of ppl on here are here to give out no matter what.

Has anyone here been hacked that uses an actual Different password for their PSN account over other online accounts ?

I for one have always treated my PS account as a cash account and apply the same diligence as if it where cash , even though I use prepay cards .

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

There has been no proof of a hack with Sony to blame and majority of responses here have all said the same thing about reusing credentials.
    If any irrelevant information has been given here it hasnt been given by me, as I said I have spoke directly to numerous users who have been "hacked" and they have all attributed it to the hack on Yahoo as they used the same details there, funnily only about a month ago those Yahoo details emerged on the dark web just before all these hacks began!

Let me just put it out there again as someone who doesn't care for this bull**** that I use my gmail for both xbox live and PSN and numerous other sites. Only one that has cost me money today is PSN!

Be critical of Sony WHEN and only WHEN its proven that SONY ARE AT FAULT!!!!
    Upto now its all blind speculation from people that just want to blame someone!

If my burger tastes awful in Burger King I don't go after the meat supplier and blame them. I blame Burger King.

If a PSN account is compromised, I blame PSN. Same with every gaming network.

I also don't claim its a McDonalds vs Burger King issue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

God, I'd love a Big Mac.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    God, I'd love a Big Mac.
    I am hungry now and I am miles away from getting food. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Let me just put it out there again as someone who doesn't care for this bull**** that I use my gmail for both xbox live and PSN and numerous other sites. Only one that has cost me money today is PSN!

Was the password for your PSN account the same as other accounts you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah the old "Xbox 1 v PS4 card" has been pulled out the bag

Maybe because some of the most vocally critical of Sony on this thread are the usual Xbots who haven't been hacked.

Do you play any EA games? FIFA? BF? Madden?

Or do you play any GTA online by any chance?

If my burger tastes awful in Burger King I don't go after the meat supplier and blame them. I blame Burger King.

Wft have burgers got to do with this...... absolutely nothing ffs.

People still haven't verified if their passwords have been the same as any of the breached sites or not so that tells me all I need to know about this. And also people ripping into Sony and their accounts weren't even hacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

If I leave my wallet on the bus, I don't go blaming Dublin bus when it's taken. I blame myself.

If a PSN account is compromised because the password and email was retrieved via external sources, I blame the external source and having common login credentials. Same with every network/service with account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

As much as I like your analogy on the basis that I'd murder an XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger right now :pac:, it's not applicable at all.

Sorry for being serious with a jokey comparison, but where it's Burger King's responsibility to ensure their meat is of such a standard to serve to us as their customers, they don't have to deal with their customers potentially sharing the same fast-food account details as they do with McDonalds. And if McDonalds are the ones to cock up and lose some of those customer account details, it's not the fault of Burger King if somebody else fraudulently use the same fast-food account details to buy Whoopers using that account. :p

Wft have burgers got to do with this...... absolutely nothing ffs.

People still haven't verified if their passwords have been the same as any of the breached sites or not so that tells me all I need to know about this. And also people ripping into Sony and their accounts weren't even hacked.
    Your arguments just are not stacking up and do little to persuade people that Sony is not a fault.

You blame a Yahoo hack even though a poster has a gmail address on their account. Next you say its an Xbox vs PS BS.
    jonnycivic wrote:
    ...so I am calling typical Xbox vs PS bull on this now at this stage

Since people have been hacked who use different email platforms and no other online services have also been attacked thats pretty damning.

If one source as you suggest has been hacked wouldn't that contain Xbox user credentials and many other online platforms that have not been effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Your arguments just are not stacking up and do little to persuade people that Sony is not a fault.

You blame a Yahoo hack even though a poster has a gmail address on their account. Next you say its an Xbox vs PS BS.

Since people have been hacked who use different email platforms and no other online services have also been attacked thats pretty damning.

If one source as you suggest has been hacked wouldn't that contain Xbox user credentials and many other online platforms that have not been effected.

And again, there are other possible sources. EA Accounts, UPLAY, the WBlogin thing... Many publishers have their own separate accounts which are then linked to your PSN/XBL account. If people are using the same passwords or email addresses for those, they could have been the ones hacked.

You have no basis for saying it's all on Sony. None.

Penn wrote: »
    And again, there are other possible sources. EA Accounts, UPLAY, the WBlogin thing... Many publishers have their own separate accounts which are then linked to your PSN/XBL account. If people are using the same passwords or email addresses for those, they could have been the ones hacked.

You have no basis for saying it's all on Sony. None.

I bought a PS4 two months ago and bought No Man's sky on my account. I use a different password for my PSN account to others. My PSN account is not linked to any EA, UPlay any **** like that because I don't use the thing. But yeah people in here are right, it's clearly my fault for being an idiot. I deserved to have €150 robbed off me! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

But yeah people in here are right, it's clearly my fault for being an idiot. I deserved to have €150 robbed off me! Cheers

Nobody said anything like that, nor does anyone think that, everyone would agree it's a total sickener and nobody should have anything stolen from them.

Stop being inane.

I bought a PS4 two months ago and bought No Man's sky on my account. I use a different password for my PSN account to others. My PSN account is not linked to any EA, UPlay any **** like that because I don't use the thing. But yeah people in here are right, it's clearly my fault for being an idiot. I deserved to have €150 robbed off me! Cheers

Are you on LinkedIn by any chance?

Do you use the same PSN PW and sign in for that?

LinkedIn was hacked according to the other thread and that's how they got into a fellow boardsie account...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What reason do people have for not setting up 2 step verification?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

lertsnim wrote: »

In my case it was because I didn't know about 2 step until I read about it in the other thread. Glad I did though because about a fortnight ago I got 4 texts in the space of 2 minutes from Sony with a verification code when I was nowhere near the ps4.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »

The same reason I don't have it on Xbox live, I foolishly expected Sony to not allow someone else in using my password and log in. Or at the very least notify me that someone else has before money moves as Microsoft does across my Microsoft accounts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement