Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you report a dole scammer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wouldn't report anyone hell if I could do it myself I would, work cash in hand and claim dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't report anyone hell if I could do it myself I would, work cash in hand and claim dole

I'm reporting you in advance scammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

after that your payments should reflect your contribution (payed more tax receive more welfare if you become unemployed) and be reduced on a sliding scale over a 3-5 year period.

can't be done, it would lead to undue hardship for many.
    Employers should be incentivised to hire Irish staff over foreign workers particularly in blue collar and low skill sectors this would free up more than enough work for those currently living off the state.

that would be discrimination and interference in the employment market. the incentives would have to be worth potentially taking on lower quality candidates, including any losses employing said candidates might bring, such as less, or lack of productivity.
    My view the Irish government should seek to provide jobs for irish people as a priority if that means a discriminatory incentive scheme so be it.

no no we cannot have discrimination and interference in the employment market. the market must decide who is employed. employers must be able to choose the best and highist quality candidate for the job.
    If your alternitive as a young lad leaving school was to go flipping burgers or cleaning toilets or have literally 0 income (No welfare untill 3-5 full years in part or full time employment) i guarantee they will take the job.

they won't, they will go and commit crime as they will earn more. if one does not wish to work they will not work and frankly the employers don't want them if they do not wish to work. the employers cannot be blamed for not wanting to employ someone who doesn't want the job.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I would depending on the circumstances.

A family struggling to make ends meet on welfare alone, nope...
    Some lad scamming the dole to pay for luxuries, reported...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

can't be done, it would lead to undue hardship for many.

It would only adversely affect those unwilling to work , how is that undue, hard to feel sorry really.

that would be discrimination and interference in the employment market. the incentives would have to be worth potentially taking on lower quality candidates, including any losses employing said candidates might bring, such as less, or lack of productivity.

I'm aware its a discriminatory policy i don't see that as an issue the Irish governments focus should be on Irish people first and foremoest.

no no we cannot have discrimination and interference in the employment market. the market must decide who is employed. employers must be able to choose the best and highist quality candidate for the job.

I'm not sure that matters when it comes to blue collar or manual jobs , working in McDonalds flipping burgers , cleaning toilets sweeping streets anyone can do it . not saying someone should go from being a dole head to doing surgery relax. I'm talking base base level employment.

they won't, they will go and commit crime as they will earn more. if one does not wish to work they will not work and frankly the employers don't want them if they do not wish to work. the employers cannot be blamed for not wanting to employ someone who doesn't want the job.

I believe they are just lazy not latent criminals , with the incentive to sit on their Swiss removed i think most would just go and work rather then starve or commit crime. and if they do then lock em up, the dole hasn't ended crime thus far.

As above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It would only adversely affect those unwilling to work , how is that undue, hard to feel sorry really.

that's not true, it would effect many others. most on wellfare do wish to work but sometimes dispite their best efforts they cannot get the work availible due to many factors.
    I'm aware its a discriminatory policy i don't see that as an issue the Irish governments focus should be on Irish people first and foremoest.

not via discrimination. we cannot interfere in the employment market and they're is no place for discrimination. the employers have to be able to choose their candidates to insure the best quality, to insure the best productivity, service and output and a proffitable business.
    I'm not sure that matters when it comes to blue collar or manual jobs , working in McDonalds flipping burgers , cleaning toilets sweeping streets anyone can do it . not saying someone should go from being a dole head to doing surgery relax. I'm talking base base level employment.

it very much matters. just because anyone could do the job, doesn't mean the candidate will do the job to the best of their ability if they do not want to be there. an employer wants people who want to be there, not people who are forced to be there they are running a business so have to insure the best people working to insure a good service and a proffitable business.
    I believe they are just lazy not latent criminals , with the incentive to sit on their Swiss removed i think most would just go and work rather then starve or commit crime. and if they do then lock em up, the dole hasn't ended crime thus far.

they wouldn't go and work. those who don't want to work will never work no matter what and the employers don't want them and they are correct. the dole hasn't ended crime but it likely has kept it from being a lot worse. people who commit crime should be locked up anyway if the crime requires it, dole or no dole.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

So only people that match your circumstances are entitled to the dole.

I only recently been get welfare but never had I thought I would of had yo get it. I'm 28, it's a help for me in some ways but the minute I get a job I'm going straight off it. Can't see myself enjoying some kind of lifestyle like some people like to do.

I used to know a guy from limerick, never worked a day in his life, he is on welfare more than 7 years and just picks up his money each week and goes home and does nothing for the 6 days in the week. People like that who are fit to work and been on the system should get deducted pay and help their community by picking up rubbish or something.

I have another friend close by and has a family, one child but still living with his in laws till he gets a council house which will cost him 25 a week but they are claiming welfare and probably other benefits to. He used to be hard working man but now that his girlfriend for 5 years forced a quick marriage and a year after almost to their wedding she had a child...she knew what was she was doing. They ask me to be godfather just because they think I'm loaded. Anyway neither of them drive or his in laws, comfortable on welfare etc but I have a feeling it's not only his wife is bas but her mother is having a say behind closed doors. My friend says he wants to go back to college again but so does she yet they are miles away from one.

My last story is short.
    Met a guy in Australia almost 5 years ago when I was just on a holiday visa. He told me has a twin brother at home who signs for both their job seekers allowance each week and his brother then puts it into your man's bank account. People would chance anything.

All in all would I report someone, no but I would hope they bring in some kind of system in the near future to catch people and if they are fit to work then get them out doing something good for their community or else cut their welfare by a good bit.. bet then they won't be long getting off their high horses.
    Abtran in Cork are hiring email your CV and they will ring you same day and have an interview for you tomorrow. People are employed to pick up rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I only recently been get welfare but never had I thought I would of had yo get it. I'm 28, it's a help for me in some ways but the minute I get a job I'm going straight off it. Can't see myself enjoying some kind of lifestyle like some people like to do.

I used to know a guy from limerick, never worked a day in his life, he is on welfare more than 7 years and just picks up his money each week and goes home and does nothing for the 6 days in the week. People like that who are fit to work and been on the system should get deducted pay and help their community by picking up rubbish or something.

I have another friend close by and has a family, one child but still living with his in laws till he gets a council house which will cost him 25 a week but they are claiming welfare and probably other benefits to. He used to be hard working man but now that his girlfriend for 5 years forced a quick marriage and a year after almost to their wedding she had a child...she knew what was she was doing. They ask me to be godfather just because they think I'm loaded. Anyway neither of them drive or his in laws, comfortable on welfare etc but I have a feeling it's not only his wife is bas but her mother is having a say behind closed doors. My friend says he wants to go back to college again but so does she yet they are miles away from one.

My last story is short.
    Met a guy in Australia almost 5 years ago when I was just on a holiday visa. He told me has a twin brother at home who signs for both their job seekers allowance each week and his brother then puts it into your man's bank account. People would chance anything.

All in all would I report someone, no but I would hope they bring in some kind of system in the near future to catch people and if they are fit to work then get them out doing something good for their community or else cut their welfare by a good bit.. bet then they won't be long getting off their high horses.

Whilst I do understand where you're coming from especially with the guy in Australia I do also think you may fall off your own high horse when and if you're unemployed for any length of time, the longer it is the harder it is to get a job, so try not to pass judgement on someone who's supposed to be your "friend".

that's not true, it would effect many others. most on wellfare do wish to work but sometimes dispite their best efforts they cannot get the work availible due to many factors.

not via discrimination. we cannot interfere in the employment market and they're is no place for discrimination. the employers have to be able to choose their candidates to insure the best quality, to insure the best productivity, service and output and a proffitable business.

it very much matters. just because anyone could do the job, doesn't mean the candidate will do the job to the best of their ability if they do not want to be there. an employer wants people who want to be there, not people who are forced to be there they are running a business so have to insure the best people working to insure a good service and a proffitable business.

they wouldn't go and work. those who don't want to work will never work no matter what and the employers don't want them and they are correct. the dole hasn't ended crime but it likely has kept it from being a lot worse. people who commit crime should be locked up anyway if the crime requires it, dole or no dole.

already stated earlier people who have a legitimate medical complain or disability should recieve payments , i'm not sure who else you think should qualify lazyness and work shyness are not medical conditions. And childrens allowance, single parent's will just be tax breaks instead of payments.

I honestly dont think it matters a jot with base level jobs, employers could still choose to employ foreign workers i'm not suggesting a ban just that they would be incntivised via tax breaks etc to employ Irish staff, i'm sure we will still need some unskilled foreign labour because there are more of them then there are dole heads, just fewer.

The job market is interfered with all the time here , minimum wage , job bridge , collective bargaining the list goes on.

The point is they will want to be there because they don't want to starve , or maybe you're right , they wont do the job and they'l be sacked and best of luck to em, but i doubt many would be taking that risk.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

If we all thought like that there would be no money for anyone.
    And that would solve the dole problem. QED

I herd bad things about them. So I was told stay away from them at all costs. Well I mean going around the streets if there is cigarette butts on the ground or tayto bags etc...not actually collect bins etc ha.

So your choosing the welfare, what you think all the people who work there feel. Strange you berate all the other people on the dole, and you feel a certain employer who is hiring is not a good fit for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I herd bad things about them. So I was told stay away from them at all costs. Well I mean going around the streets if there is cigarette butts on the ground or tayto bags etc...not actually collect bins etc ha.

So would you suggest a 59 year old man who maybe has worked 40 years and now can't get another job due to his age should go around picking up cigarette butts from the street? Really? (this is not my situation by the way but I know men in this situation).

The innocence of youth. It's all so simple, lose a job, get another one. Not so easy after a certain age.

No but there is people that well able to work but prefer the lifestyle of doing nothing to change their ways.

They also don't send CV's to Abtran in Cork.

pilly wrote: »
    So would you suggest a 59 year old man who maybe has worked 40 years and now can't get another job due to his age should go around picking up cigarette butts from the street? Really? (this is not my situation by the way but I know men in this situation).

The innocence of youth. It's all so simple, lose a job, get another one. Not so easy after a certain age.

My grandfather lost his last job (fitting kitchens) at 61 , but he had never claimed dole and never wanted to , he applied to Mcdonalds as a handyman , emptying bins , keeping the outside clean stocking freezers , he did that untill he was well into his early 70's not because he had to because he wanted too

That's understandable if they have a disability or medical reasons. Well I applied for certain jobs and had the experience but only to be told I didn't have any but went into the places then and saw foreign people (not being racist) but it comes to my attention that they will pay them less which I don't agree with in some cases. Reminds me when I was in Canada, I would get 100 dollars less than a Canadian citizen. Not sure why but certain countries do that. I guess that you have good contacts to get a job. It's not what you know, it'd who you know.

Great comments by the way. I agree with you and have a better understanding.

The revealing statement is that you applied for certain jobs. Always easier to find a job when you have one. If you work at Abtran you can tell them you need time off for an interview and you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

I would not report a dole scammer. ( But only if the scam is the odd 4 or 5 hours a week doing a bit of ironing or cleaning ), a GUY doing a full week is fair game, and should be reported..

I would report an expenses scammer,, like a TD claiming travel expenses up and down form Donegal when in fact he really lives in D4 in a big house.

Well I have no income at the moment. Is it not to help people out? If I could get any kind of decent job in this moment in time I would and get off the welfare.

That's your choice i guess, you sound like such a hypocrite bashing others on welfare considering your choices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Allinall wrote: »
    Aw... Does the truth upset you ?
    Not at all when it is'nt relevant. But please keep contributing to the Irish Social Welfare system as our whole family have come to enjoy our lifestyle thanks to you and many others. :rolleyes: :);)

I agree it is always easier to get another job when you are in one already but I'm not moving up to Cork just for that place as I'm only getting my first payment from welfare today and I have no money behind me.

With your attitude you might not get past the interview! There are others on dole with this outlook too, only apply for jobs they want and not those that are available. Don't wait too long cause after a period of time you will become unemployable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well quit then and join the social welfare paradise.

You can't claim social welfare if you've resigned (I know you were being sarcastic, but..)
    You can. You have to wait a few weeks before you get your first payment, but you'll still get paid:

[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]If you leave work voluntarily or as a result of misconduct[/font][font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana], you cannot get a jobseeker s payment for 9 weeks. However, if you have good cause to leave voluntarily, for example, any changes in working conditions such as a reduction in pay, harassment or abuse from your employer, you may get your payment. The Deciding Officer in your social welfare local office or Intreo centre will decide whether you had good cause to leave voluntarily.[/font]

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/signing_on.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

You can. You have to wait a few weeks before you get your first payment, but you'll still get paid:

Right, thanks! I wonder how hard it is to be approved. It's very hard to provide proof of harassment/ill treatment unless you've recorded a video or something. I'd imagine the intreo officer wouldn't know what's a normal request for an employer to make of an employee in certain jobs either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How after hours has changed :pac:
    The would you report a dole scammer type thread pops up from time to time and a few short years ago on here people would try to eat the head off you if you said you wouldn't report.

Right, thanks! I wonder how hard it is to be approved. It's very hard to provide proof of harassment/ill treatment unless you've recorded a video or something. I'd imagine the intreo officer wouldn't know what's a normal request for an employer to make of an employee in certain jobs either.
    You don't have to prove harassment. If you quit your job just because you feel like quitting, you can still claim Jobseekers but they'll make you wait 9 weeks before they pay you any money. If you timed it right, you could get a month's pay into your account (say at the end of the month), with maybe a month's pay in hand due and some holiday pay too, enough to tide you over for the 9 weeks until you get your first Jobseekers payment.
    If you are being given abuse or being harassed at work, contact the Workplace Relations Commission for advice or to make a complaint:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html

How to report suspected welfare fraud:

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

pilly wrote: »

The older people get, the lazier they get. I've seen it in every job I've ever had. The idea that because they've been working for 30 years they don't have to work as hard today.... crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Glenster wrote: »
    The older people get, the lazier they get. I've seen it in every job I've ever had. The idea that because they've been working for 30 years they don't have to work as hard today.... crazy.

If they've been doing physical labour I think they've well earned some kind of respite from it after 30 years. It's the human body, not a machine.

If they've been doing physical labour I think they've well earned some kind of respite from it after 30 years. It's the human body, not a machine.

You get a respite from it at 68.

Sorry though, you do have a point, I was thinking more office pricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No I wouldn't report anyone. If they can get away with it good luck to them.

Our politician rip us all off more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limit the length people can get the dole for. six months, a year tops.
    And what then?

What do we do with the person who has reached the time limit but has no income or way to pay for food and rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I just love how the vast, vast majority on boards.ie thinks that work is the be all and end all of life and if you don't do it, you're some sort of low-life waster. How one-dimensional must your life be if that's your outlook. Many people I know are artists and scrape by financially week to week, but don't care because they get to do their art. They're the most liberated, happy people I know.

osarusan wrote: »
    And what then?

What do we do with the person who has reached the time limit but has no income or way to pay for food and rent?

Firstly there are obviously exceptions; old, young, disabled, people who contribute to society in ways other than working.

But, put simply, I believe if you don't participate in/contribute to society you should not be allowed to benefit from it.

Everyone can find some sort of useful contribution to society, it should be a requirement of society to do that. If you refuse to do that at the very least the free money you receive from the government should stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I just love how the vast, vast majority on boards.ie thinks that work is the be all and end all of life and if you don't do it, you're some sort of low-life waster. How one-dimensional must your life be if that's your outlook. Many people I know are artists and scrape by financially week to week, but don't care because they get to do their art. They're the most liberated, happy people I know.

I'm happy for people to do whatever they like with their lives, be as fulfilled as possible.

But if someone goes to a state building, funded by me and everyone else who works, and asks the state for free money, my money, I don't think its unreasonable for the state to respond "Why? What have you done/going to do to deserve this"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    No I wouldn't report anyone. If they can get away with it good luck to them.

Our politician rip us all off more.

If they can get away with it good luck to them. :cool:

But being an artist is their career.

And with it, they contribute to society.

Firstly there are obviously exceptions; old, young, disabled, people who contribute to society in ways other than working.
    Fair enough.
    But, put simply, I believe if you don't participate in/contribute to society you should not be allowed to benefit from it.

Everyone can find some sort of useful contribution to society, it should be a requirement of society to do that. If you refuse to do that at the very least the free money you receive from the government should stop.
    But what do we do with the people who just refuse to make any useful contribution to society?

In practical terms, what do we do with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

I wouldnt report Family or friends. Unless I really didn't like them. Probably wouldn't bother if I thought someone was only temporarily on it but anyone else I thought was sponging, I'd report. Tough ****e

Fair enough.

But what do we do with the people whop refuse to make any useful contribution to society?

This is the million dollar question.

If somebody can contribute but refuses to, how much should you take out of their welfare? And if you take too much, and as a result they end up on the streets, whose fault is it?

I don't think there's a right answer to the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Glenster wrote:
    But if someone goes to a state building, funded by me and everyone else who works, and asks the state for free money, my money, I don't think its unreasonable for the state to respond "Why? What have you done/going to do to deserve this"
    And funded by the "scroungers" VAT as well. Just because you pay more taxes, doesn't give you more of a say as to how they are allocated. Rich people pay the most tax (or at least, that's how it's supposed to work), should they then decide how much relief you get, or how much welfare somebody else gets?

Just for the record, I've never been entitled to social welfare. But I think art is a valuable part of society and facilitating the lifestyle of people who engage in this type of work is fine.

Also, I know a good few people who just don't enjoy working. They reject convention and find it difficult to get along with people. They suffer from mental health problems whenever they try to make themselves productive. I don't think people like that should compromise their entire lives just so their money enters the system. That's so stupid.

We're basically brainwashed into working from the moment we're born, never stopping to question why or how it makes us feel. Who the hell are we, outside of what we do?

But what do we do with the people whop refuse to make any useful contribution to society?

Stop their Dole.

Society means that some of your problems become our problems. That's why we fund the fire brigade, schools, hospitals, the police, roads, pensions, etc.

Out of work for a while? Here's a social safety net "there but for the grace of god go I" and all that. That's not designed to sustain someone forever.

Stop their Dole.
    And then Joe no longer has 188 a week to pay his rent from.

Do we (in the hope that he'll buck up and get a job) let Joe become homeless?

And funded by the "scroungers" VAT as well.
    No. That's just some of the money they got for free coming back to the state.

Just because you pay more taxes, doesn't give you more of a say as to how they are allocated. Rich people pay the most tax (or at least, that's how it's supposed to work), should they then decide how much relief you get, or how much welfare somebody else gets?

Just for the record, I've never been entitled to social welfare. But I think art is a valuable part of society and facilitating the lifestyle of people who engage in this type of work is fine.

I should be allowed to voice my opinion on it. And I agree with you on art. There's loads of tax breaks and assistance programmes for that. I just don't think jobseekers allowance should fund an arts career.
    Also, I know a good few people who just don't enjoy working. They reject convention and find it difficult to get along with people. They suffer from mental health problems whenever they try to make themselves productive. I don't think people like that should compromise their entire lives just so their money enters the system. That's so stupid.

We're basically brainwashed into working from the moment we're born, never stopping to question why or how it makes us feel. Who the hell are we, outside of what we do?

If you've mental health issues, fine, go on disability, that's different from the dole. and it should be funded appropriately.

And if you don't want to work, fine. But you shouldn't get the dole.

JOBSEEKERS benefit. Not free money for doing nothing.

And then Joe no longer has 188 a week to pay his rent from.

Do we (in the hope that he'll buck up and get a job) let Joe become homeless?

Yes.

Yes.

And if he becomes homeless, we just leave him to it?

And funded by the "scroungers" VAT as well. Just because you pay more taxes, doesn't give you more of a say as to how they are allocated. Rich people pay the most tax (or at least, that's how it's supposed to work), should they then decide how much relief you get, or how much welfare somebody else gets?

Each citizen has a right to vote on how they think government resources should be allocated. 1 person = 1 vote. Paying more taxes doesn't entitle anybody to more of a say. It just so happens that the majority of people believe that every citizen should contribute to the economy if they are able.

Also, I know a good few people who just don't enjoy working.

I don't enjoy working. But I still feel responsible for paying taxes and contributing to society, rather than just taking.

They suffer from mental health problems whenever they try to make themselves productive. I don't think people like that should compromise their entire lives just so their money enters the system. That's so stupid.

I find that a bit of a cop out. I know people who suffer anxiety and health problems when they work. They get on with it. Life is not a picnic.

If their mental health problems are so severe, then they can be assessed for disability support. A well functioning welfare system should be able to provide adequate support for these people. I doubt you will find anybody here who would force disabled people into the workforce.

And if he becomes homeless, we just leave him to it?

I think we should fight the causes of vulnerability in society, Drug and alcohol addiction, Domestic Violence, Sexual abuse, Child Neglect, etc.

The things which cause long term homelessness.

But I do not think that people should be given money and houses for free unconditionally. It just creates a cycle of dependency and entitlement.

This is the million dollar question.

If somebody can contribute but refuses to, how much should you take out of their welfare? And if you take too much, and as a result they end up on the streets, whose fault is it?

I don't think there's a right answer to the question.

It's a question of just what safety net there is for those at the bottom of the ladder, even for those who are there out of sheer laziness.

The better the safety net is, you can see how more people can be drawn towards it.

The worse it is, you can see how more people will be motivated to improve their own situation, but for those who can't or won't, there is more suffering.

It really depends on how far we are willing to go - if we are actually going to be a society that will 'motivate' people this way - by reducing/removing the safety net.

Or if we are just going to bluff, and there will be another way for them to receive aid - in which case we have to accept that a certain kind of person is going to exploit that as best they can.

I think we should fight the causes of vulnerability in society, Drug and alcohol addiction, Domestic Violence, Sexual abuse, Child Neglect, etc.
    Part of the reason these are the causes in Irish society is because our social safety net catches those who would be there for purely financial reasons.

In a place like the USA, you could be two or three missed paychecks away from being homeless. In Ireland, you could apply for and get some aid.

Remove or reduce that safety net, and we will see financial reasons take its place on the list of causes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement