Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for tv corner

Options
  • 10-11-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im tidying up the cables in our TV corner in the house. At the moment there's one double socket and im running two extenion leads out of it, one a monster cable one wiht 8 sockets and one 4 plug one.. yes i have a crazy amount of plugs - tv, sky, receiver, upc modem, router, blu-ray player aerial booster... the double socket is protruding from the wall and id like to have it flush so was going to get a new one installed.. i'm wondering though should i be looking at more than one socket? im never going to get 12 sockets there.. or 10.. or whatever i need.. so is a new double socket the way to go and keep the extension lead in place?

Cheers,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭denismc

So, you have 12 devices running off 2 sockets, I am not an electrician but you maybe overloading your electrical system by having that many devices on one outlet.
    Newer houses may be wired to handle the increased load of multiple devices but if your electrical system is more than 15 years old it maybe not be able to cope with everything running at once.
    It maybe worth having a sparks have a look and see if your fuseboard can handle all those devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

denismc wrote: »
    So, you have 12 devices running off 2 sockets, I am not an electrician but you maybe overloading your electrical system by having that many devices on one outlet.
    Newer houses may be wired to handle the increased load of multiple devices but if your electrical system is more than 15 years old it maybe not be able to cope with everything running at once.
    It maybe worth having a sparks have a look and see if your fuseboard can handle all those devices.
    12 might be an exaggeration... at a min the broadband modem, asus router are always on.. then there's tv, sky, receiver, blu-ray, subwooofer, havent had any issue for last 12 years... i dont think it would be too easy to run new wired back to the circuit breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

If you have an MCB board and the breaker is not tripping, the cabling can handle the load. It would be all the adapters I'd be worried. Your best bet might be a PDU ( the type you see in offices for computers) and mount it in the cabinet. Get a sparks to put a spur in for get from the existing socket. It'd be tidier and safer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

ptogher14 wrote: »
    If you have an MCB board and the breaker is not tripping, the cabling can handle the load. It would be all the adapters I'd be worried. Your best bet might be a PDU ( the type you see in offices for computers) and mount it in the cabinet. Get a sparks to put a spur in for get from the existing socket. It'd be tidier and safer
    excuse the ignorance but what is a spur?

Advertisement