Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectant mother clubs?

Options
  • 10-11-2016 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of my wife.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an expectant mothers club?

Basically the same as mother and baby clubs but for pregnant women instead.

All of her friends are past the baby having stage so she is feeling a little bit lonely, particularly as her two sisters live in the UK and her mam is not someone that you can have a baby conversation with. I try but you know yourselves, I cannot fully empathise with her due to the obvious biological differences.

She has joined a maternity yoga class but that is very structured as there is someone leading the class and the opportunity to chat in a more relaxed setting doesn't exist there.

My heart goes out to her as there is nothing I can do and talking to a bloke is just not the same.

We are based in Saggart but she works in Sandyford so Tallaght/Citywest/Rathcoole/Celbridge areas are all easily accessible.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

She could post on the relevant Due thread here? It's lovely to chat to people going through the same stages of pregnancy as you. :)

I know that lots of those thread posters have gone on to form Facebook groups and hold meet-ups every once in a while while on maternity leave. So it might be an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Mother and baby groups in her area are worth checking out. They're very welcoming to expectant mothers too and encourage women to come before baby arrives. I went to one before both my girls were born and knew people before I had the babies. I can recommend one in firhouse community centre but I'm sure there are a few which might suit her better.

Similarly breastfeeding groups (if she has any interest in breastfeeding) encourage girls to come along when they're pregnant to get to know people and form a support network. A quick google would trace a few in her area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a great FB group called 'Pregnant In Ireland' and the admin there runs a coffee morning once a month on a weekend but it's in Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks for the suggestions ladies, appreciated.

:)

She has tried Boards but cannot get into it.

Didn't realise that mother and baby groups would be OK with expectant mothers, dunno why I / she thought they wouldn't, I will get her to look into them.

She was in Facebook but deactivated her account about 6 months ago as she had a pain in the face with all the rubbish on it, I will get her to reactivate it for a look.

Thanks again, yer great!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Try also your local public health nurse - I know they ran post-partum meet-ups in my area as a way of new mums getting out of the house and just talking to other new mums. So it's possible she'd be welcome at some of those too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If she plans on breastfeeding heading to her local La Leche League or Cuidiu meeting would be a good way to meet similar-minded women.

If she plans on breastfeeding heading to her local La Leche League or Cuidiu meeting would be a good way to meet similar-minded women.

She is going to try anyway so I will tell her to look into the local one.

Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

There is a pregnancy yoga class in Tallaght. I know you said she is already doing yoga but this class is more half yoga half chatting. It's on every Wednesday at either 7 or 8pm. I do the 7 o'clock and all of the girls are so lovely and I find it great support for asking questions etc.
    It's under yogamamas.ie - can't recommend it enough.

Ah you do need some pregnancy support around you most definitely.

dreamstar wrote: »
    There is a pregnancy yoga class in Tallaght. I know you said she is already doing yoga but this class is more half yoga half chatting. It's on every Wednesday at either 7 or 8pm. I do the 7 o'clock and all of the girls are so lovely and I find it great support for asking questions etc.
    It's under yogamamas.ie - can't recommend it enough.

Ah you do need some pregnancy support around you most definitely.

That's the one she attends i believe, it starts with birth stories?

Think she goes to the 7 o'clock one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

That's the one she attends i believe, it starts with birth stories?

Think she goes to the 7 o'clock one.

Oh really? God I find this class really chilled and laid back and a great way to get to know other pregnant mammies. That's the class I'm in also.
    If she is looking for other groups etc the teacher Elaine could definitely recommend a few. I know she knows a lot about groups in the area.

I must have been introduced to her so! :o

• Advertisement

dreamstar wrote: »
    Oh really? God I find this class really chilled and laid back and a great way to get to know other pregnant mammies. That's the class I'm in also.
    If she is looking for other groups etc the teacher Elaine could definitely recommend a few. I know she knows a lot about groups in the area.

I must have been introduced to her so! :o

Ha ha, ah no, she is really enjoying it tbf. I think she is just feeling a bit self conscious as she isn't as far on as a lot of the ladies there.

Plus she can be a bit introverted when out of her comfort zone.

She is going to aqua aerobics in I think Rathfarnham in the morning anyway.

Advertisement