Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan to Blanch?

Options
  • 10-11-2016 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering what direction is the best to get to Blanch, somewhat safely!

I cycled out there once going through Chapelizod and into Phoenix Park. No issues other than the distance being around 23km+. I know the back roads are dangerous but I see there's a number of routes. I also know you can go up some hilly roads leaving Chapelizod but on Google Maps some of them seem a bit narrow.

I see Google Maps is pointing me past Fort Lucan, into Clonsilla/Ongar (I believe). This seems to be the least back-road route? Any tips for commuting this way?

I'm closer to the south of Lucan, so I would have went to the canal at 9th Lock, cruise into Inchicore, past Heuston into Phoenix Park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd be inclined to try the R149 - into Clonee and then left and over the N3 into Damastown. Fewer traffic lights and a nicer cycle but I'm not sure how busy the road is at rush hour and there's no hard shoulder. I've cycled it a few times at the weekend and it's grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the link you posted shows google taking you through, rather than past, hartstown park.
    the R149 option is certainly a bit shorter than the google suggestion. i'm not familiar with the R149, but i do know the bend below fort lucan where it turns onto the liffey, and it's a bad one - and the traffic can be heavy there as a result, IIRC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the link you posted shows google taking you through, rather than past, hartstown park.
    the R149 option is certainly a bit shorter than the google suggestion. i'm not familiar with the R149, but i do know the bend below fort lucan where it turns onto the liffey, and it's a bad one - and the traffic can be heavy there as a result, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

It depends on whether you want speed or lack of traffic. From the bridge in Lucan (which you have to cross one way or the other) I'd go straight on up the R149 this way- but this is relatively heavy with traffic so if that's a problem then you may want to avoid it.

If you're not on a skinny tire roadbike you could try the canal for a bit (Google Maps won't let me send you that way though)This route would start the same way, but when you get to the canal, follow the towpath as far as Clonsilla and then through Ongar the rest of the way. This would be pretty light on traffic with a few bike paths on some of the heavier sections. The canal between Westmanstown and Clonsilla isn't too bad either - not great on 23s or 25s but anything wider should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The R149 is lethal. Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Personally I'd come off the R149 just before the canal and go around Westmanstown. R149 not a nice road to cycle.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.358865,-6.445802/53.372839,-6.4534198/53.3882836,-6.4184635/53.3932439,-6.407697/53.4073562,-6.410931/@53.3704126,-6.4616367,15.28z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

If you go up by Fort Lucan it has a nice steep climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Agreed, avoid the R149 - it's fine at weekends but not during rush hour. The canal suggestion is a good one if you can use it. From Clonsilla to Blanch up the Ongar distribution road is perfect, it has bus and cycle lanes just watch out on the roundabout at Woodies...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd have gone down the Liffey and up Rugged Lane

Advertisement