Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house

Options
  • 10-11-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I hope I have the right place to post but im just looking for some advice, I've recently been offered a council house after a long 8 years wait and I accepted.

What im wondering is......(I had a look at the house and its a bare shell) does the council put in new stuff after the are fixing it up after the last tenant ( im clueless)

All advice is appretiated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whattodo1

Im not getting a free house ill have to pay rent like ive been paying privately for years, I dont want free stuff all I meant was floor because its concrete, also Ive have all my own stuff you don't have to be rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You may be entitled to a grant for white goods (cooker, fridge etc), sofa, floors and beds. See your community welfare officer. They're usually shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

whattodo1 wrote: »
    Im not getting a free house ill have to pay rent like ive been paying privately for years, I dont want free stuff all I meant was floor because its concrete, also Ive have all my own stuff you don't have to be rude.

You'll be paying considerably less than you were paying privately .

You should have asked the council these questions before signing up.

But the likely answer is that you are responsible for flooring and all contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I said effectively, either 30 odd euros weekly, or 10-15 % of salary, up to max of 400 monthly.

Some people have to save for years for deposit, then pay large mortgages, and often walk into empty houses,

Sense of entitlement

January wrote: »
    You may be entitled to a grant for white goods (cooker, fridge etc), sofa, floors and beds. See your community welfare officer. They're usually shells.

Thanks I just wasn't sure about the floor, I do have all my own stuff already so I won't need to do that thanks again.

• Advertisement

dar100 wrote: »
    I said effectively, either 30 odd euros weekly, or 10-15 % of salary, up to max of 400 monthly.

Some people have to save for years for deposit, then pay large mortgages, and often walk into empty houses,

Sense of entitlement

I understand that and thats why I applied for a council house theres no way Id have been able to get a mortgage I didn't mean would I get anything for free, I have everything I need all I wanted to know was about the floor but someone cleared that up for me thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

whattodo1 wrote: »
    I understand that and thats why I applied for a council house theres no way Id have been able to get a mortgage I didn't mean would I get anything for free, I have everything I need all I wanted to know was about the floor but someone cleared that up for me thanks anyway.

May post may have been short, apologies !! I hope it works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Congratulations on your new home

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

as far as I know if you are employed its up to you to sort out your own needs , if you are unemployed you will get some help from the community welfare officer , a friend of mine got around 1500 euro a few years back ,

good luck with your new house and consider it not an empty shell but a new beginning and a blank canvas waiting to be filled .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

congratulations and may you have many happy years ahead in it

Tony H wrote: »
    as far as I know if you are employed its up to you to sort out your own needs , if you are unemployed you will get some help from the community welfare officer , a friend of mine got around 1500 euro a few years back ,

good luck with your new house and consider it not an empty shell but a new beginning and a blank canvas waiting to be filled .

That's the part I can't wait for my own touch not like a rented house thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF You are on welfare the welfare officer will give you a cheque to buy a fridge,
    cooker ,maybe a washing machine in power city or some other approved retailer .
    You may need to buy your own furniture ,bed,. kitchen table ,chairs
    etc if there is not one there ,
    it may be empty if its a newly built house .
    go around to the local health centre at 10.30 or 11 am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

From my experience which is a long time ago admittedly they would have to put something safe on the floor. Used to be horrible orange tiles. Not sure what the situation is now. No harm ringing them and asking, they can be very nice if you get the right person. Is it a brand new house?

Advertisement