Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROI passport stamp

• 10-11-2016 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Planning a future trip and want to drive from the UK too Scotland then catch the ferry from Cairnryan to either Belfast or Larne, my question, are there ROI immigration officers in these ports that can stamp me into ROI, if not where can I get stamped in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

This is a funny question. Never thought about it before as there is a free travel area between Ireland and the UK. This article from Tripadvisor seems to suggest that there might be Irish Border Control at the Belfast Port: https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186591-s602/Ireland:Crossing.The.Border.html

However it's not really clear. I'd say you could email the Garda National Border Control http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?page=31# and check with them? I wouldn't expect a speedy response from them though.

There is no border control between Northern Ireland and Ireland so once you're in through the ferry terminal in Belfast it's highly unlikely you'll be stopped to get your passport stamped when travelling in the south. I do remember the Gardai stopping buses and trains that I've been on travelling from the North to Dublin before to check travel documents but I haven't been on a bus in ages. Unless you want the stamp? You could maybe go to a Garda station in Dublin or wherever you're travelling to and ask for one?

Sorry I can't be of more help.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When you travel from Scotland into NI you are still within UK so there is no passport stamp.
    You will get stamped upon arrival in a port in UK from US and that's pretty much it.

Possibly there will be someone at the ferry customs that can help with a stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

thanks for the replies, I would need the ROI stamp for naturalization purposes. Just worried the local guard would look at me with a raised eyebrow when an American shows up requesting a stamp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

thanks for the replies, I would need the ROI stamp for naturalization purposes. Just worried the local guard would look at me with a raised eyebrow when an American shows up requesting a stamp
    you will be 100 per cent I did this trip many times and never got stopped and I am from southern Ireland:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Naturalization purposes in the UK or ROI?

• Advertisement

Avada wrote: »

Naturalization purposes in the UK or ROI?
    ROI

ROI

If your travelling from ROI to UK, you wont get a UK landing stamp anyway. But if you want an Irish stamp, best off contacting your local immigration officer.

Im going the opposite direction, landing in London catching a train to the port of Felixstowe to pickup my vehicle then driving up to Scotland and ROI.
    Sounds like the local immigration office (Galway) can stamp me in. Was worried there might be an issue of how I got into the country without a stamp but I guess the UK stamp from the London airport would be proof enough with free travel between UK and ROI

Im going the opposite direction, landing in London catching a train to the port of Felixstowe to pickup my vehicle then driving up to Scotland and ROI.
    Sounds like the local immigration office (Galway) can stamp me in. Was worried there might be an issue of how I got into the country without a stamp but I guess the UK stamp from the London airport would be proof enough with free travel between UK and ROI

Where are you travelling to London from?

Where are you travelling to London from?
    US

• Advertisement

US

Grand. If you want a stamp, contact the Immigration Officer in Galway. (Just to note, as I'm sure you're aware. The stamp will only serve for Naturalisation purposes if you have a valid GNIB card).

The stamp will only serve for Naturalisation purposes if you have a valid GNIB card).
    indeed, at the end of the five years ill need to prove via the stamps I was actually in the country :)
    Thanks for the help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

indeed, at the end of the five years ill need to prove via the stamps I was actually in the country :)
    Thanks for the help
    You can drive drive through republic of Ireland to northern Ireland and never get stopped I am from the Irish republic of Ireland /Eire and I have done this trip to Scotland many times .via stamps? in Eire the might even ask you to stamp your passport

Advertisement