Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Gear online?

• 10-11-2016 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Where is the best place to look/price gear online?

I know it's a pain with sizing etc but making it to the bike shops isn't always an option for me. Especially when most are closed on Sundays

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Where is the best place to look/price gear online?

I know it's a pain with sizing etc but making it to the bike shops isn't always an option for me. Especially when most are closed on Sundays

Bought some of my gear from sportsbikeshop UK, I think they are one of the most popular sites in the UK for motorcycle gear. All of their reviews are positive so I am sure you wouldn't get burned buying from them. I went to bike world in Dublin and the HJC is 17 helmet is almost €300, I bought it from the sportsbikeshop for €150. Motorcycle gear in Ireland is extremely overpriced so I buy from UK at half the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

I've bought from the following:

motoin.de
    fc-moto.de
    moto-tour.com.pl

You can usually get a 10% discount from most of them and they will also price match. I generally pick the brand/item that I want and play the sites off against each other to get the lowest price.
    Just remember if the size is incorrect you need to pay for the shipment back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I find motocard.com unbeatable for price, free delivery over 60 euro too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Their website isn't very fancy but Cotters were cheaper for a few bits than Sportbikeshop whose prices are generally excellent.
    Plus its supporting an Irish company and nice guys, in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

rustynutz wrote: »
    I find motocard.com unbeatable for price, free delivery over 60 euro too

I didn't realise they had an online store, I got good deals back in the day in their bricks and mortar store in Andorra :)

louis.de looks good but I've never actually ordered clothing from them. Have a look at motorcycleshop.ie who are good value and dead sound in my experience.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Must look into motocard.com.

www.louis.de I find very good. Allow 5 working days for delivery.

www.motorcycleshop.ie I find great for their service kit. Also their delivery is very fast.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I'm not buying overpriced and dated gear from Irish shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

NEC in 2 weeks time is where its at lads and lasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I'm not buying overpriced and dated gear from Irish shops.

Can't speak for the others but Cotters undercut the UK shops for the items I ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

The UK does not charge VAT on helmets as they are a safety item.

• Advertisement

Last time round though, I purchased a Caberg from a small Italian shop, through Amazon marketplace.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The UK does not charge VAT on helmets as they are a safety item.

True, they are zero-rated, but for a long time there has been the anomaly that replacement visors (even though they too have to comply with safety standards) are charged at standard rate. :mad:

(Also, safety boots for industrial use are zero-rated, but safety shoes for industrial use are not. It just needs that little bit of material extra round the ankle to flip the classification)

Section 3 of HMRC VAT Notice 701/23: protective equipment covers UK VAT treatment of motorcycle helmets.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Also bear in mind when dealing with large sellers (over €35k threshold) such as Amazon on the way they charge VAT due to distance selling VAT regs.
    • Buy a £100 item on Amazon.co.uk to be delivered to Ireland and it'll be charged with Irish VAT so will cost £102.50
    • Buy a £100 item to be delivered to Ireland from a small 3rd party seller that is fulfilled by Amazon and it will be charged with seller's county's VAT rate: UK £100
    • Buy a £100 item on Amazon.co.uk to be delivered by Parcel Motel and sent to Northern Ireland and it'll be charge with UK VAT.

Distance seller VAT rules (or why am I being humped for 23% VAT when the country where I bought it from charges less VAT?) are covered here: Revenue: Distance Sales in EU

I bought some Richa rain trousers recently from www.motorcycleshop.ie and they were too big. I ordered a second pair a size down, and they fitted fine. When I posted the original ones back, I was given full refund for the trousers and the €5 P&P. I thought this was pretty sound. It was all processed quickly and without fuss too. I'll definitely be using them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭honda boi

I bought some Richa rain trousers recently from www.motorcycleshop.ie and they were too big. I ordered a second pair a size down, and they fitted fine. When I posted the original ones back, I was given full refund for the trousers and the €5 P&P. I thought this was pretty sound. It was all processed quickly and without fuss too. I'll definitely be using them again.
    +1 never had an issue with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

honda boi wrote: »
    +1 never had an issue with them.

Same, top notch lads.

Advertisement