Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool/Domestic & General insurance anyone manage to get replacement appliance

Options
  • 10-11-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Has anyone successfully gotten a replacement appliance from whirlpool under the D&G policy?
    We have an 8 year old American fridge freezer. It started freezing the fridge in august. We called about a repair, we could pay a once off fee or take out the insurance so we took out the insurance.
    We were told if it couldn't be fixed first time, policy would be cancelled. But if it could then for one year any subsequent repairs would be covered and if not repairable we'd get a replacement.
    Valve was replaced in august and all good.

Two weeks ago the fridge started tripping the switches in the house. Happened repeatedly then died altogether. Waited a week for an engineer. He told us compressor was gone, they no longer made that model so we would get a replacement.

Phoned on the Monday, was told this wasn't the case as it was first repair. I said no it wasn't, they did some investigating and came back and said you're right, you're due a replacement, someone will contact you within two days.
    Phoned back yesterday to follow up. Was told no you're getting a new machine, in fact your policy has been cancelled and money refunded. Got into complaints, they said not entitled to a new machine. I said we've been told twice we were so now they're going to go listen to the calls.

Getting extremely frustrated now, two weeks without a fridge freezer and I get the sense we won't be getting anything from them so think we will just go buy one.

Has anyone successfully gotten a replacement? Would appreciate hearing others experiences.

N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Fiafann wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully gotten a replacement appliance from whirlpool under the D&G policy?
    We have an 8 year old American fridge freezer. It started freezing the fridge in august. We called about a repair, we could pay a once off fee or take out the insurance so we took out the insurance.
    We were told if it couldn't be fixed first time, policy would be cancelled. But if it could then for one year any subsequent repairs would be covered and if not repairable we'd get a replacement.
    Valve was replaced in august and all good.

Two weeks ago the fridge started tripping the switches in the house. Happened repeatedly then died altogether. Waited a week for an engineer. He told us compressor was gone, they no longer made that model so we would get a replacement.

Phoned on the Monday, was told this wasn't the case as it was first repair. I said no it wasn't, they did some investigating and came back and said you're right, you're due a replacement, someone will contact you within two days.
    Phoned back yesterday to follow up. Was told no you're getting a new machine, in fact your policy has been cancelled and money refunded. Got into complaints, they said not entitled to a new machine. I said we've been told twice we were so now they're going to go listen to the calls.

Getting extremely frustrated now, two weeks without a fridge freezer and I get the sense we won't be getting anything from them so think we will just go buy one.

Has anyone successfully gotten a replacement? Would appreciate hearing others experiences.

N

this reply is probably a bit late for you - our fridge failed twice and having figured out it was cheaper to go the D&G insurance route that a straight repair - to cut a long story short, we eventually did get the cost of the fridge back minus the annual cost of the insurance we had to take out.

But customer service was very poor, D&G never once called me back when they had said that they would, repairman report got lost between Hotpoint & G&G several times .. I had to make several harassing phone calls, it took over 6 weeks but eventually we got a cheque from them to put toward the cost of a new fridge. Plus an extra €10 when I complained about the poor customer service...

I am now looking for a new fridge now but one with multiple year warranty as I do not want to go that whole rigmarole again!

Advertisement