Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy merino

Options
  • 10-11-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Getting chilly out there.. anyone know any good deals on merino base layers???

Grma

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I've a fair bit of merino clobber.
    I'd be more inclined to go for a quality brand firstly, then weight of fabric.
    Icebreaker or similar brands are the best imo.
    Worth the extra few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a good few DHB base layers, they used to be a bit cheaper but even if it's now 40/45 euro for one, that's pretty good value given they last forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Galibier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Rapha, you missed the boat for 25% off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Luxman wrote: »
    Galibier

+1. Really like their stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Decathlon do good value merino gear, it's decent as well. Can't remember the brand but they basically only carry 1 for merino gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Luxman wrote: »
    Galibier

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

rapha.. if only!
    icebreaker.. also if only!
    galibier.. why didnt I think of that...

thanks for replies....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

+1

+2

I have one of the above, great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

how much better/warmer are the merino than say standard canterbury base layers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Andalucia wrote: »

Depending on moon phase, anything from 17.41% to 73.13% warmer/better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I have a good few DHB base layers, they used to be a bit cheaper but even if it's now 40/45 euro for one, that's pretty good value given they last forever!

I'm considering one of the DHB (M200) baselayers. How are they warmth wise on colder days (less than 6 degrees)?

I have a few compression layers from Sports Direct and they've been fine so far but I want a merino LS top for when the temperatures drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Andalucia wrote: »

I find synthetics to be warmer and possibly more comfortable than merino. The only advantage of merino is that it's less stinky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

I'm considering one of the DHB (M200) baselayers. How are they warmth wise on colder days (less than 6 degrees)?

I have a few compression layers from Sports Direct and they've been fine so far but I want a merino LS top for when the temperatures drop.
    With a winter jersey or jacket and it's ok for me but can be a little too warm sometimes. 150 weight is better for me as an all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Lumen wrote: »
    I find synthetics to be warmer and possibly more comfortable than merino. The only advantage of merino is that it's less stinky.

If you have stinky items of clothing, spray them with distilled white vinegar (yes, the stuff you put on your chips) leave for about 30 minutes then wash. The vinegar breaks down the build up of deodorant and sweat deposits because it's a weak acid and no, you won't smell like a chipper.

I've used it to rescue clothing items that are wearable apart from the stench and it does work. It may take a couple of washes to complete remove the smell, but that's better than binning a favourite base layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

synthetic vs merino, I onlyhad one merino item which I wore until it was full of holes and looked like a tissue wrapped me.. more natural I found and the smell was a factor... I forget what its like on moisture evaporation...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

All my kit is DHB and I have this merino base layer also. In general its not massively warmer than any other 100% polyester base layer I have bought which were cheaper. The big advantage is you can wear them on consecutive days and they are very good tight fit/comfortable. It's a great piece of kit and I'd buy this again.

Advertisement