Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest from Electric Ireland for 99 installed.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Very good system, I must say. In a little over a week, and due to the unseasonal high temperatures it has kept the heating off most of the time. Starting to kick in more now as the temps go down, but is learning quickly i.e. Wife - ignore, Me - do as he says.....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

whiterebel wrote:
    Wife - ignore, Me - do as he says.....

https://youtu.be/1Pwwx1cF8NQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

This any good for A2W heating and UFH up and downstairs or is it too slow to react?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=795&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=allfalse&lang=en

Nest down to 174gbp on amazon.co.uk. Lowest price so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TheTubes wrote: »
    amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=795&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=allfalse&lang=en

Nest down to 174gbp on amazon.co.uk. Lowest price so far.

Nest have ads saying 30euro off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Nest down to £158.99 on amazon.co.uk

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I want one of these but I currently rent, and I may move in the next year. If I get one of these can I easily bring it with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I want one of these but I currently rent, and I may move in the next year. If I get one of these can I easily bring it with me?

Yes it's very easy to fit,just keep the old one handy so you can put it back up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Got mine installed today. Nifty piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

My take on this from the Nest website is that a nest thermostat can independently control heating and hot water. From that I take it that two Nests would give you upstairs/downstairs/hot water

I could be completely wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

At the moment I can have heat upstairs, downstairs or both. I can have hot water with or without heating rooms. I have to use the control panel or a lever to do this. what will NEST give me that I do not have now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Initiated the switch-over to EletricIreland (on the Nest deal) earlier this week. Anyone know how long it takes them to get the Nest/installer out to you? Are we talking days or weeks? Kind of thinking I should've just bought it outright and self-installed and gone with the cheapest electricity/gas rate. There's a 14 day cooling off period, so if it's not going to be until next year, I may just do it myself over xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Guy appeared within the week for me, needs to be approved installer for extra warranty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The €99 offer is for new customers. I'm an existing customer, so its €199. This sucks. Do you think you could move to another company, like prepay power, and then move back to get the €99 deal?

Did you ring them and ask for a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

Recently purchased a new house, and we are now looking at electricity suppliers.

We have timer controls for the heating, and also for the water.
    I have attached a few pics of the heating controls in place.

The three switches are for each floor (3rd floor is converted attic).

Can these be updated to a nest control ? I was thinking of the Climote with Electric Ireland, but after reading a few reviews, thought better of it.:D

Is the Nest offer with electric Ireland worth it ? We dont have any usage base so cant compare against the unit price..

Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Shred

Initiated the switch-over to EletricIreland (on the Nest deal) earlier this week. Anyone know how long it takes them to get the Nest/installer out to you? Are we talking days or weeks? Kind of thinking I should've just bought it outright and self-installed and gone with the cheapest electricity/gas rate. There's a 14 day cooling off period, so if it's not going to be until next year, I may just do it myself over xmas.

I did the change over on black Friday but changed my mind the next day, cancelled (Energia will save me circa €250pa vs 30pa with EI), ordered from Amazon for £159 instead and did the install myself; I still got a call from them on Wednesday just gone to arrange the Nest install...just for reference on timeframes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Shred wrote: »
    I did the change over on black Friday but changed my mind the next day, cancelled (Energia will save me circa €250pa vs 3pa with EI), ordered from Amazon for £159 instead and did the install myself; I still got a call from them on Wednesday just gone to arrange the Nest install...just for reference on timeframes.
    Typical! I haven't heard a peep! Trying to get in contact with them now, but tempted to 'cool-off' and do it myself, particularly, given bk's informative post on the actual cost of getting the Nest device via this plan. Thanks much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Shred

Typical! I haven't heard a peep! Trying to get in contact with them now, but tempted to 'cool-off' and do it myself, particularly, given bk's informative post on the actual cost of getting the Nest device via this plan. Thanks much!

Tbh, I was going against my instinct by switching to EI as they are one of the more expensive providers...then I'm in credit with my current provider (another expensive one) so it doubly didn't make sense as that money covered buying the nest and getting it installed...then I didn't need to pay for installation in the end either so it was a win win.
    Bear in mind you lose out on the extended warranty from Nest if it isn't installed by an approved professional though.

Did you ring them and ask for a deal?

Yeah, they said they can only offer whats on the website :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just to bump this. I had thought I was with Bord Gais for my gas but that's not the case, I'm with Electric Ireland. I see they have the Nest for €130 and you can pay if off over 12 months which is nice.

Worth going for or are thee better products/deals out there? Do they come and install it for you? Is it still the case that it's tied to a higher rate?

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/nest-thermostat

Brilliant thanks for letting us know I have been thinking about this for ages - going to do it now!
    Can you still get a good rate/package with this?

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/nest-thermostat

Brilliant thanks for letting us know I have been thinking about this for ages - going to do it now!
    Can you still get a good rate/package with this?

Not sure but we’ve saved a bunch on oil and the house is never cold, sorts out it’s own schedule, rarely have to go near it. They should do you a deal anyway if you haven’t asked in a while.
    Think I had to get the rate cut first then call back to a different department to get the nest, if you call them they’ll explain what way to do it.
    No regrets here anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No regrets from me either about having a Nest, it's been great so far.
    Saves oil as house isn't needlessly heating when we're not at home and it means the house is generally just more comfortable temp wise,

Thanks. I called to enquire about what package I was on and they said I have the best deal already. Ordered it and installation is in 2 weeks - will let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks. I called to enquire about what package I was on and they said I have the best deal already. Ordered it and installation is in 2 weeks - will let you know!

Will give them a tinkle myself so next week.

I'l be interested to see if it actually saves you money - I'm slightly sceptical. However if it can keep my house warmer for longer for the same money I'd be very happy with that. At least just stop it being freezing in the debts of winder and then having to wait for it to warm up...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'l be interested to see if it actually saves you money - I'm slightly sceptical. However if it can keep my house warmer for longer for the same money I'd be very happy with that. At least just stop it being freezing in the debts of winder and then having to wait for it to warm up...

I've mentioned this before, but it really depends on how your currently control your heat.

- If your the type of person who has the heat blasting away all day and maybe even when out, then yes it will definitely save you money.

- If you are the type of person to micromanage your heat, e.g. only turn it on when you actually need it, then no you probably won't see much difference.

But even for the second type of person (which I am) I think it is still sell worth it for other reasons. Such as just making easier to control and the luxury of arriving home to a warm house that just reached the correct temperature shortly before you came home, etc.

Of course if you also install smart TRV's too, that may take it to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

bk wrote: »
    I've mentioned this before, but it really depends on how your currently control your heat.

- If your the type of person who has the heat blasting away all day and maybe even when out, then yes it will definitely save you money.

- If you are the type of person to micromanage your heat, e.g. only turn it on when you actually need it, then no you probably won't see much difference.

But even for the second type of person (which I am) I think it is still sell worth it for other reasons. Such as just making easier to control and the luxury of arriving home to a warm house that just reached the correct temperature shortly before you came home, etc.

Of course if you also install smart TRV's too, that may take it to the next level.

I dunno about that bk, think about it this way

a) If you actually do micromanage your heat, then nest etc will allow you do this even better, and you can now micro manage it even more dynamicly
    b) There is an argument, that given proper home insulation, then it is much bettter to allow your house maintain a temperature within a few degs, i,e not to allow it to drop significantly, so having the ability to do this with a smart thermostat should definately show improvements.

I am only really going into my first winter with the house fully controlled by nest, and I have also significantly upgraded my house insulation this year, so I do notice a difference, but cant say what percentage is nest related via insulation related, but I have to say, the ability to control, access, and to view usage is something that I would not be happy living without now.

• Advertisement

What kind of set up have you now? Rads on or off no zones and hot water, and no way of keeping the house at the same heat?
    Your going to save money if that’s your set up and be a lot more comfortable.

I’d to get 2 nests and they’ll only do 2 zones each, 1 that covers downstairs and hot water and 1 that controls upstairs, so 3 zones.

Advertisement