Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest from Electric Ireland for 99 installed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Zascar wrote: »
    Mine is installed and working nicely. I have not really had the time to play with it properly but will do this weekend.

Just wondering, is anyone using theirs with an Amazon Echo (Alexa)? I want to know what the commands are and what you can do by voice... "Turn on the heating for 30 mins" would be good but I know it operates by temperature more than time...

I have mine hooked up with Alexa alright but haven't played with it much

I do know you can say "Alexa turn the heating up/down" and she will adjust it by 2 degrees
    I assume On and off work

I can play around with it this evening and get back to you
    I generally just go into the Nest app to adjust it if we are feeling a bit chilly but it essentially works away fine based on our comfy temperature

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

NrNX4MV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Just curious if the nest would work in my situation.
    I have oil heating and also a boiler stove. Just a basic timer on the oil. Now, as our house is small we mostly use the stove and maybe the oil just in the morning for an hour or maybe an autumn evening for an hour. On a very cold day we would put the oil on when lighting the stove to boost the rads for an hour before the stove takes over.

Our house is not zoned as such. We can turn off the upstairs rads using a switch. Can't use the oil to heat water in the summer, something to do with safety having the stove.

I was looking to change the oil timer and would be interested if it's suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

batman1 wrote: »
    Just curious if the nest would work in my situation.
    I have oil heating and also a boiler stove. Just a basic timer on the oil. Now, as our house is small we mostly use the stove and maybe the oil just in the morning for an hour or maybe an autumn evening for an hour. On a very cold day we would put the oil on when lighting the stove to boost the rads for an hour before the stove takes over.

Our house is not zoned as such. We can turn off the upstairs rads using a switch. Can't use the oil to heat water in the summer, something to do with safety having the stove.

I was looking to change the oil timer and would be interested if it's suitable.
    Just set the nrst to the desired temperature and time. If the stove has the room at the correct temperature it’ll keep the boiler off.

You are thinking it works as a time clock you are forgetting the temperature part

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How's everyone getting on with theirs? I really like mine - however its definitely using the heating more than we used to. I checked the history the other day and it was on almost all day long for most of the weekend. I had to turn the schedule way down.

I find the temperature thing a bit annoying. Sometimes I just want to boost for an hour or 30 mins - I dont really want to set to 22.5 degrees..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just looking for some help if anyone can dispense some advice. The installer set it up to my partners account but I've reset and am installing it to my own. I want to make sure I have the boiler setup correctly. It's a Glow Worm Flexicom 15hx which with our old thermostat controlled the heating and water separately. Anyone know which of the Nest options I should set that to?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How's everyone getting on with theirs? I really like mine - however its definitely using the heating more than we used to. I checked the history the other day and it was on almost all day long for most of the weekend. I had to turn the schedule way down.

I find the temperature thing a bit annoying. Sometimes I just want to boost for an hour or 30 mins - I dont really want to set to 22.5 degrees..

I find mine uses heating alot less overall,
    22.5c seems pretty warm, we get away with 20/21 for a comfortable house

Consider turning the temp down and make sure its not in any location that's drafty

I'm suddenly having problems - its not heating the hot water. Not sure what's wrong. Does anyone know how I can fix this or who to call?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Can I ask two questions without me having to go back over thread....can nest be used without it’s full features, I am looking for a product just to turn on heating remotely and can I use it as a timer....
    I have two zones water and heating.
    Looking for something I can purchase that includes installation
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

harr wrote: »
    Can I ask two questions without me having to go back over thread....can nest be used without it’s full features, I am looking for a product just to turn on heating remotely and can I use it as a timer....
    I have two zones water and heating.
    Looking for something I can purchase that includes installation
    Thanks

Hi harr,

Yes, nest can be used as a standard thermostat with timer and remote access.

The electric Ireland deal includes inatallation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi harr,

Yes, nest can be used as a standard thermostat with timer and remote access.

The electric Ireland deal includes inatallation.

Thanks very much for the reply, just got myself the Phillips Hue and an amazon echo for Christmas so the nest will be a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

I know that BG offer the Hive to anyone that wants it, existing and non-BG customers alike, but do EI offer any installation offers to non-customers? I've 9 months left with my current electricity and gas providers and looking at what options are available. I can't see anything other than reference to existing customers on EI website but I thought I'd check here in case anyone had availed of it while with other utility providers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm suddenly having problems - its not heating the hot water. Not sure what's wrong. Does anyone know how I can fix this or who to call?

Are you able to heat it manually with the app

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi

I’m interested in a smart thermostat like Nest for a 3-bed semi-detached.

We have two zones - 1 for heat and 1 for hot water.

The boiler is under the stairs with the heating control panel on the wall in the hall. There is a dial thermostat on the landing. Which of these would the nest control replace?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi

I’m interested in a smart thermostat like Nest for a 3-bed semi-detached.

We have two zones - 1 for heat and 1 for hot water.

The boiler is under the stairs with the heating control panel on the wall in the hall. There is a dial thermostat on the landing. Which of these would the nest control replace?

The Nest has 2 parts:
    1. a HeatLink which replaces your current control/timer unit, and really just serves to connect your boiler to your wifi.
    2. The Nest Thermostat itself, which is the thermostat, moisture sensor, control panel all in one and will replace the functionality of your landing dial thermostat.

Depending on the power feed into your current dial thermostat, you may or may not be able to mount your Nest to your wall to replace that unit. It has a higher power consumption that some wired thermostats, and I found that out the hard way with mine, had to replace the orginal thermostat (which now just covers what would otherwise be a hole in the wall, and serves to complete the circuit without needing to fiddle with the wiring). I had to get a Nest Stand, which allows the Nest to be plugged into a standard power outlet, but the big advantage of the stand is that you're free to put it anywhere in your house (as long as there is a wifi signal for it to connect to) - you can find the best location where it is out of the way but accessible, out of direct sunlight, etc.

https://nest.com/ie/thermostats/nest-learning-thermostat/tech-specs/

My own boiler is single-zone, and the Nest works just fine with that. Many are lucky enough to have a dual zone boiler which allows their Nest to control heating and hot water separately. That's up to your boiler though, the Nest works with what you have (and the cost of upgrading the boiler just to have separate hot water isn't worth it in my opinion). When you setup your Nest after installation there's a step-by-step setup guide that lets you choose the appropriate settings, including the type of boiler, location of the Nest thermostat, etc. You can change that later too of course, it's all very easy and flexible.

WRT wall-mounting the Nest Thermostat vs using the Stand (and using a standard power socket), I quickly discovered that not all home wiring has sufficient power for the existing wired thermostat to power a Nest in it's place.
    When I mounted my Nest and wired it in, all seemed good, it was picking up voltage input from the wiring, lovely.
    Next morning it was offline, the battery had dropped significantly and was still dropping before my eyes despite the voltage input still showing up fine and steady.
    Quick Google search and I found out about the higher energy requirements.
    I've since installed it on a Stand with USB, and the USB voltage is steady around 5V input, the battery quickly charged up, and as soon as it hit 3.8V in the battery, my Nest came back online and all is good (wifi connection drops if the Nest battery falls below 3.6V, to conserve battery power and allow the schedules to run still - the unit works but shows offline in the app). So check your voltage before wiring in the Thermostat, and be prepared to get the stand (it's neater than just having the poor Nest lying around on a shelf, and makes for easy turning of the dial, and better visibility as you walk past)

https://nest.com/support/article/Troubleshooting-when-the-Nest-Learning-Thermostat-disconnects-or-is-offline-in-the-Nest-app

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We had fierce trouble initially as the installer never disabled the existing thermostat in the hallway. Like yourself I found that it wanted to heat the house a lot more than we ever used to do so we disabled the learning aspect and cleared the schedules.

It suits us far better to be able to turn it on when we want as it only takes about 15 minutes for the house to heat up. I'm not too worried about not being able to set a time limit as opposed to a temp as I like being able to tell Google to turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We have a house built in 2010. Gas fired central heating and water with two thermostats for heat (upstairs and downstairs). The boiler also heats the water though it can be manually turned on in the hot press too.

Could anyone advise how many nests and what set up we need?

Edit: the thermostats are currently in hallways which is ridiculous so if it was possible to move them into rooms at the same time that would be great

We have a house built in 2010. Gas fired central heating and water with two thermostats for heat (upstairs and downstairs). The boiler also heats the water though it can be manually turned on in the hot press too.

Edit: the thermostats are currently in hallways which is ridiculous so if it was possible to move them into rooms at the same time that would be great

I couldn't say about the number of Nest thermostats as my own setup is much more basic, but location is easy: buy a Nest Stand instead of mounting it to the wall and you can then place it anywhere you want, provided there is a power outlet nearby (runs off a USB cable and a plug) and it's able to communicate with the heatlink (so don't bury it in a steel underground bunker :D )
    This lets you place it in the most convenient spot, and also make sure that it's not in direct sunlight or any other factors that may skew the temperature reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Two nests required. For example, one will control downstairs and water, the other will control upstairs. The nests can be hard wired into existing set up or plugged into a socket with a stand so you can move it around if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I am tempted to sign up to the Electric Ireland offer that includes the Nest.

However, has anyone had any experience of having a "Nest" installed to a Combi Boiler model Immergas. My control panel is part of the boiler with a separate dial for Hot Water & Heating. There are no individual controls on the radiators in my apartment.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to sign up to offer and not be able to use the Nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

However, has anyone had any experience of having a "Nest" installed to a Combi Boiler model Immergas. My control panel is part of the boiler with a separate dial for Hot Water & Heating. There are no individual controls on the radiators in my apartment.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to sign up to offer and not be able to use the Nest.

Sorry no experience of boiler.

But I think it works out better to sign up for the electric ireland €175 cash back offer. You can then order the nest for €130 anyway as an existing customer..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've an Immergas Combi Boiler and I've hooked a Netatmo smart thermostat to it.

Do you not have some sort of control panel/timer/thermostat inside your home? Mine did and I just had to replace that.

Surely you aren't turning on and off the heat via those dials on the boiler!! :eek: They aren't meant to really control the heating day to day, they are just for adjusting water temp summer/versus winter.

Anyway, my neighbour with the same boiler as me got Nest for his. So I expect it should be doable for an installer.

Is anyone else very unhappy with their Nest? Mine seems to have a mind of its own. I only have a very simple setting. 22 degrees for 5pm - and back to 17 at 10pm when I go to bed, I dont need any more heating other than that. I'm out all day and no one else is home. But it seems to turn the heading on at random times throughout the night and during the day.

I've called support twice, reset the thing but still not working..

Anyone else having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is anyone else very unhappy with their Nest? Mine seems to have a mind of its own. I only have a very simple setting. 22 degrees for 5pm - and back to 17 at 10pm when I go to bed, I dont need any more heating other than that. I'm out all day and no one else is home. But it seems to turn the heading on at random times throughout the night and during the day.

I've called support twice, reset the thing but still not working..

Anyone else having problems?

How long have you had it? The first week or two it does crazy things while it Learns. It sees how long it takes your house to heat up when at different temperatures etc. Have you geo location enabled?

What temperature have you set for frost protection? The house may be going below it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Hi everyone,
    I'm on a bit of a smart buzz at the moment and came across this.

Current set up is heating upstairs and downstairs is controlled by one unit currently in the sitting room. Hot water is done via the immersion other then the little bit that heating generates.

would i be correct in thinking that's a 2 zone set up rather then a 3 zone.

Also my mother is slightly disabled as a result of a brain hemorrhage in 03 would it be hard for her to understand the system once its trained? thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

scheister wrote: »
    Also my mother is slightly disabled as a result of a brain hemorrhage in 03 would it be hard for her to understand the system once its trained? thanks

I would say its pretty straight forward,

Big display with large figure on it, you can set a schedule and if she wants the place to be warmer or cooler she can just rotate it up or down, if the heating is on the screen turns orange so its clear when the heating is on....much more straight forward then alot of systems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I was onto Electric Ireland earlier in the week about one of these. The sales bloke was saying that you cannot schedule water only to come on and off and that you can only schedule it to come on? Sounds strange to me and this seems to contradict this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

dubmick wrote: »
    I was onto Electric Ireland earlier in the week about one of these. The sales bloke was saying that you cannot schedule water only to come on and off and that you can only schedule it to come on? Sounds strange to me and this seems to contradict this advice.

Only had mine a week so haven't actually tried the feature out but there is a separate schedule for water (can boost but also set it to come on at a specific time).

• Advertisement

It does the hot water scheduling perfectly.

Advertisement