Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest from Electric Ireland for 99 installed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

thanks lads. Just ordered it. One thing that concerns me is that the sales rep said the Nest has to be installed where the current thermostat is located. I currently have min beside the gas boiler in the kitchen. It's an exterior wall right beside the window. Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anyone got a Heat Link that clicks loudly when it's triggered? It's installed a while but lately it seems to click quite loudly when triggering the heating or water.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Had mine installed this morning but it seems to be a bit wishy washy with google assistant. Is there a way to command it to turn on the heat for an hour, also a way to command hot water control and also I find myself repeatedly asking it to just turn the heat on. Any tips or tricks to make it a bit more seamless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

dubmick wrote: »
    I was onto Electric Ireland earlier in the week about one of these. The sales bloke was saying that you cannot schedule water only to come on and off and that you can only schedule it to come on? Sounds strange to me and this seems to contradict this advice.

I suspect what he meant is you can schedule it to come on and off but you can't turn it off once your water reached temperature (ie, for water nest is just an on/off timer as it does not measure the temp of your water tank)

You can still temp control your water using a normal cylinder stat in line with the nest water zone), which will then turn off the hot water if nest has it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Had mine installed this morning but it seems to be a bit wishy washy with google assistant. Is there a way to command it to turn on the heat for an hour, also a way to command hot water control and also I find myself repeatedly asking it to just turn the heat on. Any tips or tricks to make it a bit more seamless?
    It takes a week or so to learn how your house heats and retains heat. It’ll do crazy stuff that week.

To turn it on just set a schedule with the desired temperature and then set it lower after that hour

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    thanks lads. Just ordered it. One thing that concerns me is that the sales rep said the Nest has to be installed where the current thermostat is located. I currently have min beside the gas boiler in the kitchen. It's an exterior wall right beside the window. Is this correct?

The thermostat can be wireless, you can take it or mount it anywhere !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you have an existing wired thermostat but want the Nest thermostat elsewhere, do you have to disable the old wired thermostat to avoid conflict?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ixoy wrote: »
    If you have an existing wired thermostat but want the Nest thermostat elsewhere, do you have to disable the old wired thermostat to avoid conflict?
    Disconnect it, throw it in the bin. Then connect the heatlink direct to the boiler

Place the thermostat wherever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Electric Ireland installed ours yesterday. He replaced the old programmer clock with the heatlink and told us just to turn up the upstairs thermostat all the way so it wouldn’t interfere. We got the stand for the nest thermostat so we can decide where to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

nialldinho wrote: »
    Electric Ireland installed ours yesterday. He replaced the old programmer clock with the heatlink and told us just to turn up the upstairs thermostat all the way so it wouldn’t interfere. We got the stand for the nest thermostat so we can decide where to keep it.

I have a climote at the moment that controls downstairs, upstairs and hot water. But I'd like it change to Nest.

I assume with your new setup with one Nest you can control the heating and hot water but have lost the ability to control up and down stairs separately?

I thought I needed two Nests, but assuming the above is true I could just get one initially and could upgrade to a second if needed at a later date.

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I have a climote at the moment that controls downstairs, upstairs and hot water. But I'd like it change to Nest.

I assume with your new setup with one Nest you can control the heating and hot water but have lost the ability to control up and down stairs separately?

I thought I needed two Nests, but assuming the above is true I could just get one initially and could upgrade to a second if needed at a later date.

Sorry, the thermostat upstairs was our only one. It controlled a single zone which covered upstairs and downstairs.

Is the requirement to switch to a different billing plan gone? It was mentioned earlier on in the thread back in 2016 but I can't see any mention of it in the Terms and Conditions for the current offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Is the requirement to switch to a different billing plan gone? It was mentioned earlier on in the thread back in 2016 but I can't see any mention of it in the Terms and Conditions for the current offer.

I think they've done away with this as it's now open to none EI customers. I got mine installed last week. I wasn't an EI customer before or after ordering. Given this it would seem a bit unfair to give it to me as a none-customer for what would effectively be less restrictive t&c's. You can always confirm with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

anayone Know what generation Nest they are currently installing?

mickoc wrote: »
    anayone Know what generation Nest they are currently installing?
    Gen 3.

Getting our two in the next coupe of weeks

Gen 3.

Getting our two in the next coupe of weeks

Thanks. I'm ordered one as well but there is a big delay in getting installation. I am out of contract and gave them a ring hoping to get some discount like another poster but they gave me nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

scheister wrote: »

Current set up is heating upstairs and downstairs is controlled by one unit currently in the sitting room. Hot water is done via the immersion other then the little bit that heating generates.

would i be correct in thinking that's a 2 zone set up rather then a 3 zone.

hi scheister, did you replace the immersion switch with a second Heatlink ?
    i.e then via the NEST then you can switch it on and off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Q&A wrote: »
    I think they've done away with this as it's now open to none EI customers. I got mine installed last week. I wasn't an EI customer before or after ordering. Given this it would seem a bit unfair to give it to me as a none-customer for what would effectively be less restrictive t&c's. You can always confirm with them.

we've switched to Bord Gais (28% discount was too big to pass on even with the EI cashback) - but just to clarify, were you able to get the nest + installation even though you weren't / aren't an Electric Ireland customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

hi scheister, did you replace the immersion switch with a second Heatlink ?
    i.e then via the NEST then you can switch it on and off?

mother got cold feet and wont let me change it till the summer :(

ablelocks wrote: »
    we've switched to Bord Gais (28% discount was too big to pass on even with the EI cashback) - but just to clarify, were you able to get the nest + installation even though you weren't / aren't an Electric Ireland customer?

Correct. never been with them at my current address. Worked out €209 for installation and boiler service. Compare that with €250 to buy the unit in a shop without installation. Though I'd check with BG if there are any offers on the Hive seeing as you're currently with them

• Advertisement

The Ber rating for my House is E2. Third from the bottom of ratings. Would it be a waste for me to get a nest. I would assume it would keep turning on and off with the amount of heat that would be lost through my house, thanks.

mickoc wrote: »
    The Ber rating for my House is E2. Third from the bottom of ratings. Would it be a waste for me to get a nest. I would assume it would keep turning on and off with the amount of heat that would be lost through my house, thanks.

While it is likely insulation in an E2 rated house might not be up to the mark a low score might be down to an inefficient heating system or other factors. The Nest won't solve this but it might make your house a little more liveable. The benefits of the Nest really depend on how you used your heating controls before.

The same week I got the Nest installed I got my attic insulated. All I had in the attic was dust, there wasn't an ounce of insulation before. Best investment I'll likely make on the house. Upstairs never got warm before I got it done. Now it holds the heat but I appreciate your BER might be impacted by other factors.

Q&A wrote: »
    While it is likely insulation in an E2 rated house might not be up to the mark a low score might be down to an inefficient heating system or other factors. The Nest won't solve this but it might make your house a little more liveable. The benefits of the Nest really depend on how you used your heating controls before.

The same week I got the Nest installed I got my attic insulated. All I had in the attic was dust, there wasn't an ounce of insulation before. Best investment I'll likely make on the house. Upstairs never got warm before I got it done. Now it holds the heat but I appreciate your BER might be impacted by other factors.

Thanks for your reply. I have the attic insulated with the spray foam as well. Its hard to tell if it made a big difference but it has made a difference. My current boiler has no temperature setting on it so I never know how warm the house is.

Has anyone gotten the Nest Stand for this? If you did, where did you buy it?

Does it not come with it in the box ? Mine did !

I am sure I have one lying around somewhere, you are welcome to it if I can dig it up.

I told electric ireland I wanted it when ordering. I wasn’t there for installation so not sure if it was in the box or if the installer brought it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

I bought one from adverts for 20 euro. I might actually be selling it as I think my nest will be wall mounted. If interested and in Dublin happy to pass on for 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-AT3000GB-Thermostat-Stand-White/dp/B077RF29ZY/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8YS3ETKJ57JT21RSRJBH

Or Google: https://store.google.com/product/nest_thermostat_3rd_gen_stand?noRedirect=true (I got mine from Google direct, and they delivered surprisingly fast, considering I ordered just days before Christmas! And €35 vs Amazon's £35)

Mine did not come with a stand, and they were out of stock for a good while around the time I bought my Nest late last year, everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Those of you who have installed the 3rd gen. thermostat have you found that your gas bills have reduced?

• Advertisement

Those of you who have installed the 3rd gen. thermostat have you found that your gas bills have reduced?

Too soon to tell seeing as I've only had it a month but I wouldn't be surprised if my bill went up. It may seem counter-intuitive but what a smart thermostat has given me is a more comfortable home rather than a cheaper home to run.

My place is much more comfortable now then before but that is likely more expensive. I had a fairly erratic schedule so rather than have my heating come on and heat a house that was going to be empty I was more inclined to leave the dumb timer switched off. Whereas with the the Nest I switch it on remotely before I leave work. The heating is on for half an hour longer but the house will be at a much more comfortable temperature when I arrived home.

Whether it saves you money will really depend on how well you manage the temperature in the house beforehand.

Advertisement