Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest from Electric Ireland for 99 installed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just at my new boiler and nest installed.. Wondering do people use schedules or what's the best approach to setting it?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Just got nest too. Wondering much the same as Mick above. Should I be Turing it down when I go to bed so it learns my bedtime, or should I set a schedule. Any other tips hints or tricks would be appreciated also

cletus wrote: »
    Just got nest too. Wondering much the same as Mick above. Should I be Turing it down when I go to bed so it learns my bedtime, or should I set a schedule. Any other tips hints or tricks would be appreciated also

I went with schedules so far. Seems to be working well. Really to early to say if it will save money.. Installer reckoned it would..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So after just over 12 months of use my Nest stopped working with wifi 6 days ago, it would not see ANY wifi network at all.

Quick call to Nest support and it turns out a recent software update is causing issues and its disabled wifi. So they are sending me a replacement.

Happy with the support received from them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

just got the Nest installed today. I wasn't there for the install but the chap who did said we can't schedule just the hot water to come on. We were able to do this before the Nest was installed. Anyone any ideas on this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It can definitely control the hot water on its own.

dubmick wrote: »
    just got the Nest installed today. I wasn't there for the install but the chap who did said we can't schedule just the hot water to come on. We were able to do this before the Nest was installed. Anyone any ideas on this?

Your heating is zoned there are motorised valves which isolate hot water and radiators?

Your heating is zoned there are motorised valves which isolate hot water and radiators?

In our nest app with have attached

Thermostat controls heat temp.
    Hot water the water temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

No only one zone. Have been told that the Nest needs a second motorised valve to independently control the hot water. Pity as could control the hot water with previous thermostat. Electric Ireland coming out next week to take back the Nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No only one zone. Have been told that the Nest needs a second motorised valve to independently control the hot water. Pity as could control the hot water with previous thermostat. Electric Ireland coming out next week to take back the Nest.

Chap in work had the same problem only has one zone but it was installed before the installer told him it wouldnt work right, Id have made him take it out immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Sorry I don't get this, if you could control water independently before then how nest not been able to do it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I am a little confused if Nest can be used with our gas boiler. It is about 15 years old now. Perhaps someone might be able to help me.

On the boiler itself, there is a manual temperature control, which is set to about 75%. Beside the temp.control is another switch, which we can use to have rads only, or rads and hot water.
    There are two small temperature sensors on the wall, one in the hall and one upstairs in the master bedroom. The sensors are connected to motorized values (actuators?) in the hot press. The sensors//actuators never really worked properly and generally only worked like an on/off switch. anything below 10 degrees and there was no heat in the rads while anything above 10 degrees there was heat in the rads.

No idea does all that mean I have one zone or two zones or if Nest is worth us getting installed?

Reasons I would like the nest - save a few bob if possible, but also to make the house more comfortable. it's always either too cold or a sweat box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Got the Nest installed. Really just wanted to use it as a programmable thermostat that I can turn on/off remotely, and have different schedules for each day.

So I have turned off all the learning stuff. Now I am confused as to work the scheduling on the app. The heating seems to be on when I have Mode set to "Heat" even when the schedule should not be firing it, so it seems to be always on in that state. However when I set it Mode to "Off" it does not seem to fire per the schedule. Which all seems a bit weird to me, neither setting seems to respect the schedule.

So I am at a loss as to how to set it up as a simple programmable thermostat for heating. I would welcome any input.
    Thanks.

Got the Nest installed. Really just wanted to use it as a programmable thermostat that I can turn on/off remotely, and have different schedules for each day.

So I have turned off all the learning stuff. Now I am confused as to work the scheduling on the app. The heating seems to be on when I have Mode set to "Heat". However when I set it Mode to "Off" it does not seem to fire per the schedule. Which all seems a bit weird to me.

This works intuitively for the hot water. It tells me Off until 6AM which is what the schedule is telling it.

So I am at a loss as to how to set it up as a simple programmable thermostat for heating. I would welcome any input.
    Thanks.

What are your schedules like? If you set the temp to be 22 at 1030 the nest over time figures out when it needs to turn on boiler to reach temperature at time specified. Also won't fire if the current temperature around the stat is above what you are asking to heat to

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So I have turned off all the learning stuff. Now I am confused as to work the scheduling on the app. The heating seems to be on when I have Mode set to "Heat" even when the schedule should not be firing it, so it seems to be always on in that state. However when I set it Mode to "Off" it does not seem to fire per the schedule. Which all seems a bit weird to me, neither setting seems to respect the schedule.

Thanks.
    Don’t think on and off. Just set the temperature that you want. Your house won’t go below 11 degrees

What are your schedules like? If you set the temp to be 22 at 1030 the nest over time figures out when it needs to turn on boiler to reach temperature at time specified. Also won't fire if the current temperature around the stat is above what you are asking to heat to

Thanks Mick, I appreciate the help. I was just playing with schedules to see if they kicked in and would fire the boiler, but it didn't seem to be working, but I think this was due to the temp in the room being higher than the temp on the thermostat.

One thing that is not too clear to me. How would it be "on" or the boiler firing when I have no schedule for the current time? Is that if I click the thermostat to a higher temp than it currently is? If that is the case, then presume it just turns off when it gets to that temp, and will only fire when a schedule tells it to, or someone manually adjust the temp on the dial?

Thanks Mick, I appreciate the help. I was just playing with schedules to see if they kicked in and would fire the boiler, but it didn't seem to be working, but I think this was due to the temp in the room being higher than the temp on the thermostat.

One thing that is not too clear to me. How would it be "on" or the boiler firing when I have no schedule for the current time? Is that if I click the thermostat to a higher temp than it currently is? If that is the case, then presume it just turns off when it gets to that temp, and will only fire when a schedule tells it to, or someone manually adjust the temp on the dial?

Yes that's it.. In my schedule I'll have it set to 22 at say 7am and then set to 9 for 9am when house empty.. 9 means off

Yes that's it.. In my schedule I'll have it set to 22 at say 7am and then set to 9 for 9am when house empty.. 9 means off

So really you want an entry in for all hours of all days, you actually have to tell it to turn off by setting the temp really low? That explains why my boiler is still firing now when the last schedule item was 7.30 at 20 degrees, basically it just uses the last one it was told to use.

So really you want an entry in for all hours of all days, you actually have to tell it to turn off by setting the temp really low? That explains why my boiler is still firing now when the last schedule item was 7.30 at 20 degrees, basically it just uses the last one it was told to use.

If you set schedules yes.. If you don't it tries to figure out your home pattern and fills the schedule itself. What temp is your house normally?

You wouldn't need all hours.. Like mine goes to 9 at 9am...my next entry is 1230 for when my wife gets home from work..

• Advertisement

If you set schedules yes.. If you don't it tries to figure out your home pattern and fills the schedule itself. What temp is your house normally?

Too hot or too cold. I don't really know to be honest. It is a draft old house, and never had a thermostat before.

My plan is to set it to 9 degrees from 9pm to 7.15am.

At 7.15am set to 20 degrees. I assume it will heat up to be 20 degrees by 7.15 over time based on time to temp and true radiant setting of an hour.

Then set to 9 degrees at 8.15am until 4.30pm, then set to 20 degrees again until 9pm.

That make sense?

You wouldn't need all hours.. Like mine goes to 9 at 9am...my next entry is 1230 for when my wife gets home from work..

Sorry, that's kind of what I meant....need an entry to change it from the last one effectively, the last one persists until the next one

Sorry, that's kind of what I meant....need an entry to change it from the last one effectively, the last one persists until the next one

I think so :)

Thanks again for you help and advice mick.

Now for my next challenge....Google Home is being a prick, keep getting error trying to add Nest. Getting an error "Couldn't update the setting. Check your connection".

There is nothing wrong with my connection, I'm on the Wi-Fi and able to connect to Nest app fine.

When I go into Nest app I see multiple instances of connections for Google Assistant under the Works With Nest menu item, so whatever is happening under the hood is partially successful, but the Google Home is not recognising the connection, nor is the GHome app.

I've googled it and it looks a nasty one, don't think the issue is unique to me or to Nest trying to connect to Google home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I am a little confused if Nest can be used with our gas boiler. It is about 15 years old now. Perhaps someone might be able to help me.

On the boiler itself, there is a manual temperature control, which is set to about 75%. Beside the temp.control is another switch, which we can use to have rads only, or rads and hot water.
    There are two small temperature sensors on the wall, one in the hall and one upstairs in the master bedroom. The sensors are connected to motorized values (actuators?) in the hot press. The sensors//actuators never really worked properly and generally only worked like an on/off switch. anything below 10 degrees and there was no heat in the rads while anything above 10 degrees there was heat in the rads.

No idea does all that mean I have one zone or two zones or if Nest is worth us getting installed?

Reasons I would like the nest - save a few bob if possible, but also to make the house more comfortable. it's always either too cold or a sweat box.

This is exactly our set up. We were told the nest could only be put on the actual boiler that the zones were essentially useless. We've had someone else out since who could set the zones up properly but it would apparently require cables being run to the current sensors. We didn't proceed

Thanks again for you help and advice mick.

Now for my next challenge....Google Home is being a prick, keep getting error trying to add Nest. Getting an error "Couldn't update the setting. Check your connection".

There is nothing wrong with my connection, I'm on the Wi-Fi and able to connect to Nest app fine.

When I go into Nest app I see multiple instances of connections for Google Assistant under the Works With Nest menu item, so whatever is happening under the hood is partially successful, but the Google Home is not recognising the connection, nor is the GHome app.

I've googled it and it looks a nasty one, don't think the issue is unique to me or to Nest trying to connect to Google home

This happened me few weeks ago. Leave it few days and try again

Thanks. I wonder why you have to run cables to the stats? Surely there is some wireless solution?

Btw did you not proceed with the nest or the new cabling?
    This is exactly our set up. We were told the nest could only be put on the actual boiler that the zones were essentially useless. We've had someone else out since who could set the zones up properly but it would apparently require cables being run to the current sensors. We didn't proceed

Anyone else have a similar heating set up as I described and had the Nest installed? I would like to decide between a better discount versus Nest install and smaller discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone else have a similar heating set up as I described and had the Nest installed? I would like to decide between a better discount versus Nest install and smaller discount.
    Sounds like you have three zones.

Hot water, downstairs and upstairs. Although the hot water one sounds odd.

You’ll need to get two nests as each can only do one zone + hot water

Alternatively you could go for the climote which does 2 zones + hot water

• Advertisement

Thanks ted. I also thought I had three zones but from reading other peoples experiences I am not so sure. @mirrorwall14 experience below has me concerned. I don't want to commit to a Nest if it's only going to be one zone.

I had rang electric ireland 'smarter home' line and they weren't able to help me.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have three zones.

Hot water, downstairs and upstairs. Although the hot water one sounds odd.

You’ll need to get two nests as each can only do one zone + hot water

Alternatively you could go for the climote which does 2 zones + hot water

Advertisement