Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the difference between Trump & Reagan?

• 10-11-2016 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭

Their positions are oh so similar in a lot of ways but Trump is a radically different person but what is it exactly that makes him so unique. The similarities are striking yet at the same time Trump does seem to have a human side that Reagan did not. I put it down to Reagan being an actor while voters love Trump behaving exactly the way he does so colourful and down to earth.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

Reagan shot Clu Gulager from a roof in The Killers . Trump would have missed as his wig blew off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Tear down this wall!"

"Build the wall!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Overheal wrote: »
    "Tear down this wall!"

"Build the wall!"

One let in 13 million illegal aliens.

The other wants to chase out 13 million illegal aliens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Like Reagan he will also triple the national debt. See? Same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Trump's far closer to Silvio Berlusconi from what I can see.

I would expect the US to have an Italian style economy soon too!

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21709984-americans-could-look-italy-taste-things-come-what-donald-trump-and-silvio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Reagan was governor of California for 8 years.
    Trump has no political experience plus numerous dodgy business ventures and failures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Their positions are oh so similar in a lot of ways but Trump is a radically different person but what is it exactly that makes him so unique. The similarities are striking yet at the same time Trump does seem to have a human side that Reagan did not. I put it down to Reagan being an actor while voters love Trump behaving exactly the way he does so colourful and down to earth.

Can't agree with much in this. I'd no time for Reagan's politics, but he was a warm and charming man, who was very articulate, and a proven capable governor before he ran for the presidency. He also had a clear, consistent ideology and stuck to that throughout his public service. None of which gets anywhere near Trump's offerings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

alastair wrote: »
    Can't agree with much in this. I'd no time for Reagan's politics, but he was a warm and charming man, who was very articulate, and a proven capable governor before he ran for the presidency. He also had a clear, consistent ideology and stuck to that throughout his public service. None of which gets anywhere near Trump's offerings.

So you attack and ridicule Trump though you fall into the circle of people who stand by Reagan as a great man. The president who had no relations with Iran and brokered no deal between the Arabs and Israelis given his huge influence and power.

They say Trump is the Islamophobe, get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Reagan was one of the most popular US presidents of all-time.

When he left office, his approval ratings were similar to Eisenhower and Bill Clinton.

His acting talent gave him great charisma. Legendary speeches and sense of humour.

In 1984, he destroyed Mondale in a rout. Won 49 states!!!

The Economy was doing very well and he broke the Soviet Union. In many ways, he was half Republican and half Democrat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Trump's far closer to Silvio Berlusconi from what I can see.

I would expect the US to have an Italian style economy soon too!

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21709984-americans-could-look-italy-taste-things-come-what-donald-trump-and-silvio

Bunga bunga?

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Reagan was one of the most popular US presidents of all-time.

When he left office, his approval ratings were similar to Eisenhower and Bill Clinton.

His acting talent gave him great charisma. Legendary speeches and sense of humour.

In 1984, he destroyed Mondale in a rout. Won 49 states!!!

The Economy was doing very well and he broke the Soviet Union. In many ways, he was half Republican and half Democrat.

Those are his successes. He had many downsides that are omitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

So you attack and ridicule Trump though you fall into the circle of people who stand by Reagan as a great man. The president who had no relations with Iran and brokered no deal between the Arabs and Israelis given his huge influence and power.

They say Trump is the Islamophobe, get real.

I never said Reagan was a great man. I just pointed out he has a number of attributes that are at odds with Trump, who deserves the ridicule he gets.

alastair wrote: »
    I never said Reagan was a great man. I just pointed out he has a number of attributes that are at odds with Trump, who deserves the ridicule he gets.

Reagan had government experience long before he became President. Had he been elected when he was inexperienced in the acting business he might be like Trump is now who knows nothing about the nuances of being an elected official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Trump doesn't have the Cowpoke's sense of humour.

In 1984, Reagan said this:
    "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_begin_bombing_in_five_minutes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

It's a myth that Reagan "broke the Soviet Union" - as early as the mid-60s it was common knowledge in US intelligence and military circles that they were headed for collapse due to industrial inefficiency, poor agricultural output and lack of consumer goods. Reagan was just lucky to be the man sitting in the chair when it eventually happened and it was a bonus that he could spread the falsehood about forcing them to bankrupt themselves in order to excuse his own financial profligacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Those are his successes. He had many downsides that are omitted.

Iran Contra affair

Overthrow of governments that were not compatible with US policy

Inadvertently sowed the seeds of the Taliban by supporting the Mujahadeen against the Soviets..... but nobody could have foreseen that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Reagon started the war on drugs didn't he so he's responsible for probably a hundred million odd deaths as a direct result. AFAIK Trump hasn't killed so many people yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Jayop wrote: »
    Reagon started the war on drugs didn't he so he's responsible for probably a hundred million odd deaths as a direct result. AFAIK Trump hasn't killed so many people yet.

That was Richard Nixon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

sabat wrote: »
    That was Richard Nixon.

Of course you're right. I remember Reagan and the missus on the couch talking about the war on drugs and that made me think it was him there. He accelerated it didn't he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

sabat wrote: »
    That was Richard Nixon.

It was also incredibly hyperbolic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement