Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training new employee

Options
  • 10-11-2016 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, my boss has asked me to train in a new employee to do my job. I know this employee is on less salary than me and that when I have him trained my boss will leave me go, can I refuse to train this employee, thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

dminor123 wrote: »
    Hi, my boss has asked me to train in a new employee to do my job. I know this employee is on less salary than me and that when I have him trained my boss will leave me go, can I refuse to train this employee, thanks !!

How long have you been in your job..

Does your contract mention training or the "any other tasks as seen fit by management" sort of clause.. If it does then you sorta have to..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dminor123

_Brian wrote: »
    How long have you been in your job..

Does your contract mention training or the "any other tasks as seen fit by management" sort of clause.. If it does then you sorta have to..

I've. been in my job 20 years and I've no contract , it's a small company and there never was a mention of a contract, tbanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old are you? If you're close to 65, they're covering themselves for when you retire.

And yes, I do believe you have to train them. Have never had a job where assisting junior colleagues to learn new things wasn't part of the duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old are you? If you're close to 65, they're covering themselves for when you retire.

And yes, I do believe you have to train them. Have never had a job where assisting junior colleagues to learn new things wasn't part of the duties.

Hi , it's definitely not for retirement cover my boss is doing this as I'm 20 yrs from that, it's definitely for the purpose of when I've trained this new employee he will say he doesn't need me anymore,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi , it's definitely not for retirement cover my boss is doing this as I'm 20 yrs from that, it's definitely for the purpose of when I've trained this new employee he will say he doesn't need me anymore,

So you'd be due redundancy then or could take him to court for unfair dismissal?

Has he told you that he will be letting you go?

Stheno wrote: »
    So you'd be due redundancy then or could take him to court for unfair dismissal?

Has he told you that he will be letting you go?

No he hasn't said that but then he wouldn't , yes I'd be due redundancy but I'd rather be working, we have been 10 times busier than we are now and he never took on anyone to help me or cover when I'm sick so as things get quieter he decides to take on someone??? We had a big falling out a few years back and he needed me so he couldn't get rid of me then but. Ow that things are do quite he will try and push me out this way !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SteM

My understanding is that he can't just sack you and have someone do the exact same job for cheaper. Doesn't he have to make your 'role' redundant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No he hasn't said that but then he wouldn't , yes I'd be due redundancy but I'd rather be working, we have been 10 times busier than we are now and he never took on anyone to help me or cover when I'm sick so as things get quieter he decides to take on someone??? We had a big falling out a few years back and he needed me so he couldn't get rid of me then but. Ow that things are do quite he will try and push me out this way !

By refusing to train the new employee you could potentially give him grounds to sack you rather than make you redundant. I'd be getting some legal advice if I were you. However all this is at the moment is a notion in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

SteM wrote: »
    My understanding is that he can't just sack you and have someone do the exact same job for cheaper. Doesn't he have to make your 'role' redundant.

Tough job proving that. Could just make up a new job title with a different job description but have the new employee doing the same work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SteM

Tough job proving that. Could just make up a new job title with a different job description but have the new employee doing the same work.

I know. People have proved it in the past as far as I'm aware though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is not legal advice.

Your first point of call is to talk to your boss. Ask him about the plan for the team. Do you have career conversations and 1to1 reviews with your boss? If not I encourage you to start the ball rolling on it. It's important for employees to be completely clear on how they are performing and where they fit in the organisation.

You can't be made redundant and have someone else do the role. The role is axed, not the person. If your job goes (and you with it) then they can't hire someone new into that role for at least 6 months.

Also there should be a consultancy process with staff during any redundancy process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

faceman wrote: »

You can't be made redundant and have someone else do the role. The role is axed, not the person. If your job goes (and you with it) then they can't hire someone new into that role for at least 6 months.

Also there should be a consultancy process with staff during any redundancy process.

A person can be made redundant if the replacement is doing the role cheaper. Afterall The role could be redundant if the salary is €30K but viable if the salary is €20K. Or of the replacement is doing the role and something extra.

OP can you look for alternate roles in other companies. If he tells you he doesn't need you anymore well you need redundancy. You should be able to find another position somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

A person can be made redundant if the replacement is doing the role cheaper. Afterall The role could be redundant if the salary is €30K but viable if the salary is €20K.

No they can't. A person can never be made redundant, a role is made redundant. An employer can't just make an employee redundant just because someone will do the job cheaper. Employee would have a clear case for unfair selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I really think this is one of those times where you need to sit down and ask your boss a direct question, for your own piece of mind. Just ask why are you training someone new to your job and where does that leave your future with the company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

If it's that horrible of an atmosphere I would be looking for another position and then talk the boss into giving you redundancy if he wants rid of you. That way, best of both worlds, new job and nice lump sum. Some employers will pay it just to get out of an awkward situation.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I really think this is one of those times where you need to sit down and ask your boss a direct question, for your own piece of mind. Just ask why are you training someone new to your job and where does that leave your future with the company.

It's complicated but I know for certain that he's hiring to try and push me out , once this new employee is trained and doing some of my work he prob will say that 3 days a week is all he needs me for hoping I'll just go away !! He won't want to pay me redundancy, this is another way of getting out of that plus it's a small company and he knows I don't like the person that he is hiring !!!

Advertisement