Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placenta encapsulation

Options
  • 10-11-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Just wondering have any if you heard /did placenta encapsulation?

where your placenta is dried and ground into tablet form? It's supposed to help with baby blues, healing, iron levels etc.

I'd never considered it before but mdwife at antenatal class she was raving about it saying the iron tablets we currently take are from animals so why not take our own.

Also not sure if I can get it done as i had the whooping cough vaccine whilst pregnant. I'll talk to doc about it at next visit too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just wondering have any if you heard /did placenta encapsulation?

where your placenta is dried and ground into tablet form? It's supposed to help with baby blues, healing, iron levels etc.

I'd never considered it before but mdwife at antenatal class she was raving about it saying the iron tablets we currently take are from animals so why not take our own.

Also not sure if I can get it done as i had the whooping cough vaccine whilst pregnant. I'll talk to doc about it at next visit too.

My wife's doing it. The health benefits from it while recovering from child birth sound very positive. Plus it's a natural source of nutrition :) The only thing I'll say is it's a bit expensive.... I think it works out at something like €3 a tablet and you get 60 tablets. You also need to be organised with cooler bag & ice packs... so that adds on another €40-50.

Your doc is probably not going to say much about it and certainly won't recommend it one way or the other. It's an 'alternative' approach. Ask your midwife can she recommend someone and go directly to them with your questions. What part of the country are you in? If you're in Cork, I could send you the details of the girl we booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Bacchus wrote: »
    My wife's doing it. The health benefits from it while recovering from child birth sound very positive. Plus it's a natural source of nutrition :) The only thing I'll say is it's a bit expensive.... I think it works out at something like €3 a tablet and you get 60 tablets. You also need to be organised with cooler bag & ice packs... so that adds on another €40-50.

Your doc is probably not going to say much about it and certainly won't recommend it one way or the other. It's an 'alternative' approach. Ask your midwife can she recommend someone and go directly to them with your questions. What part of the country are you in? If you're in Cork, I could send you the details of the girl we booked.

Hi Bacchus I am located in Cork funnily enough so yes if you could send on any details that would be great. Wow it is a bit expensive alright but I did also hear that the health benefits from it were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I am in two minds about this altogether.

When I first heard about it, it made so much sense to me, I mean don't other mammals eat the placenta after delivery, this has to be for a good reason. Or is or just an easy food source?

My big concern was regulation of how they are prepared, is it a clean environment and how do we know?

Then I watched a programme on channel four recently, I think it is a series that looks into various health related topics and they looked at consumption of the placenta in all forms but focused mostly on encapsulation. They tested capsules from several ladies and found that the nutritional value was very minimal and contained only a tiny fraction of the iron required. Needless to say the ladies were fairly disappointed in the results. Supposedly it was all because the preparation involved heat and it essentially destroyed any potential goodness.

But you still hear so many ladies talking about how it helped stave off PND so I wonder do hormones survive the preparation process or is it just a placebo effect?

I just can't make up my mind on it at all so if anyone has links to some reputable studies that helped them decide on this I would be very grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

greenttc wrote: »

When I first heard about it, it made so much sense to me, I mean don't other mammals eat the placenta after delivery, this has to be for a good reason. Or is or just an easy food source?

My big concern was regulation of how they are prepared, is it a clean environment and how do we know?

Then I watched a programme on channel four recently, I think it is a series that looks into various health related topics and they looked at consumption of the placenta in all forms but focused mostly on encapsulation. They tested capsules from several ladies and found that the nutritional value was very minimal and contained only a tiny fraction of the iron required. Needless to say the ladies were fairly disappointed in the results. Supposedly it was all because the preparation involved heat and it essentially destroyed any potential goodness.

But you still hear so many ladies talking about how it helped stave off PND so I wonder do hormones survive the preparation process or is it just a placebo effect?

I just can't make up my mind on it at all so if anyone has links to some reputable studies that helped them decide on this I would be very grateful!

Thats very interesting GreenTTC I would have liked to have seen that programme. You'd have to wonder alright about it being a placebo effect. I hadn't even thought of it or considered it but the midwives in CUMH were raving about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a lady in Cork, Lisa Cotter, http://www.placentaencapsulationcork.com/ who is widely recommended. A friend of mine took a training with her recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

January wrote: »
    There's a lady in Cork, Lisa Cotter, http://www.placentaencapsulationcork.com/ who is widely recommended. A friend of mine took a training with her recently.

And that is the girl I just PM'd you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

greenttc wrote: »

I'd never heard of this but in the natural world, mammals do it as a means of protection ie not leaving the after birth out in the open as the scent of blood may attract potential predators.

I must have a read up on it for curiosity sake alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I just had a look on four player, the programme was called be your own doctor so you could still watch it starbright!

Saul t, that makes sense and sounds familiar now that you say it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd never heard of this but in the natural world, mammals do it as a means of protection ie not leaving the after birth out in the open as the scent of blood may attract potential predators.

I must have a read up on it for curiosity sake alone.

I was just about to say, animals eat it to remove a clue that there are 2+ weak, easy targets available to be eaten in close proximity, it's got very little to do with nutrition. After all, the placenta starts to die off as birth nears, so I can't imagine a full-term placenta would have much of anything. As for PND, I'd need to see a study among mothers who ate it and mothers who didn't to see the results.

Advertisement