Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving abroad next year (2017/18)

Options
  • 10-11-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am 28, well travelled but feel nothing is happening in my hometown and thinking of moving abroad for a few months up to a year or more but need people's advice and opinions on where to go.

I was already in Canada back in 2014, so rule that out. I have travelled most EU countries.

I recently herd that the age of Australia is going back to 35, was on a holiday visa before but not working holiday visa so that's a option but not sure what kind of work I can pick up when I don't have a qualification. Not sure where a good place is to be placed though.

New Zealand is another option but I turn 29 next September so not sure would I save for a year then go and go to oz the following year for a year or two. As I said before not sure what kind of work I can pick up without a qualification. Not sure where a good place is to be placed though.

Then I was thinking of doing some Asia and bit of India. Only travelled Thailand before though. Was thinking of doing a English teaching course so I could teach English in some of these places in Asia. Not sure where a good place is to be placed though.

South Africa and south America is appealing to me also for a few months.

Then I was thinking would I go to England as it's close but not sure what work I can get without a qualification. Not sure where a good place is to be placed though.

Lastly I was thinking should I go to back college and study IT as I'm keen on it but also interested in culinary arts (cooking).

Any tips, opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

If you've a BA (in any field, really) and complete a TEFL cert with at least 100 hours, Hong Kong could be a good option. Pay is a good deal higher than most other Asian countries; rent is expensive, but if you're sharing (and not going out to Western bars/restaurants every weekend) then the cost of living can be fairly cheap. Real opportunity to save quite a bit.

It's also a great spot to travel the rest of Asia. The level of English is higher than China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.....there's also a sizeable ex-pat community which can certainly help. There's usually jobs up on tefl.com for learning centres that'll sponsor you for a visa if you get a job.

Advertisement