Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primavera 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Another Frank Ocean US festival show cancelled. "Production issues beyond his control" again...

http://pitchfork.com/news/71869-frank-ocean-cancels-hangout-festival-set-replaced-by-phoenix/

That means that Primavera is his first show on this tour (if it goes ahead).

Ha, it's not looking good. Thinking Primavera just looking for replacement then we get the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

C_iNOqrW0AAnRin.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Ha, it's not looking good. Thinking Primavera just looking for replacement then we get the announcement

I'd say you're right.

I wouldn't be a huge Frank Ocean fan but imagine there will be a lot of disappointed people if he does cancel.

I'd be happier with either of the two acts who replaced him in the US - LCD Soundsystem and Phoenix - but am not expecting either!!

I wouldn't be a huge Frank Ocean fan but imagine there will be a lot of disappointed people if he does cancel.

The main act I'm looking forward to. Guy just never plays.

Although will struggle on with the rest of the lineup ☺️ be nice if the replacement is a pretty big act though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Anyone know what this could be?

http://unexpected.primaverasound.barcelona/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fairly delighted with that overall, not too many bad clashes for me although there is a lot happening around the 8.30-10.00 mark on the Thursday, Solange/Broken Social Scene/Glass Animals/Romare/Pender Street Steppers all clashing around that time. Also on the Sunday I am raging that Arcade Fire/Wild Beasts/John Talabot all clash but confident I will catch the end of John Talabot after AF! Other than that the days work out very nicely.

First time going this year - what time do people generally start going to the festival site at? Not a chance I would last from 12 in the day until 5 in the morning!

Get your wrist band on the Wed if there. Or early on the Thurs. Go before 5 on the thurs or else prepare for the queue. And have ID with you to collect the ticket.

No idea,

Be very disappointed if FO cancels.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

Six more shows between the 31st and the 4th by all accounts

Jarvis Cocker and Steve Mackey added to Hidden Stage

https://twitter.com/Primavera_Sound/status/865116171246370817

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

DAGaBs5U0AAOrOk.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Huh.

Check the Unexpected section of the app and there's nothing there, just a flashing question mark, so I presume that is fake.

But, I sure hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Gorillaz to replace frank ocean?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's fake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Red Bull TV will be streaming some of the sets from Primavera this year. https://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1RA7V8BYD2111/primavera-sound

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Frank Ocean officially cancelled now.
    "production delays" :rolleyes:

Frank Ocean officially cancelled now.
    "production delays" :rolleyes:

If the talk online is true then Primavera did all they could to make it happen.

Offering refunds for Friday day tickets too, which is pretty sound.

He was clashing with the newly added Arab strap anyway, so removes a clash for me! But seriously disappointed.

Handful of updates to the line-up/timetable this morning.

Jamie xx added to the main stages after Frank Ocean's cancellation. I guess it would have been pretty difficult to secure anyone on such short notice so at least the slot is filled. Few other acts moved around, few slight changes in timetable - doesn't seem to be anything too drastic for me, just a few more/less minutes to get between stages.

Flying out Wednesday morning and cannot wait. Have my plan all mapped out now - gonna be impossible to hit the lot but if I can do even half of this each day, I'll be pleased with myself!! Let's say it's more optimistic than realistic - but it'll be fun to look back at it next week and laugh at how wide of the mark I was!

Tbh, I've got about 4/5 acts over the whole weekend that once I see them, I'll be happy - if I hit all the ones in bold, anything extra is a bonus!

Weds: Local Natives, The Wedding Present
    Thurs: Kiasmos, Pinegrove, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Kevin Morby, Broken Social Scene, Solange, Bon Iver, SURVIVE, Aphex Twin, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
    Fri: Sinkane, Mitski, Whitney, Sampha, Mac DeMarco, The xx, Run the Jewels, Jamie xx, Flying Lotus, Talaboman
    Sat: The Magnetic Fields, Weyes Blood, Pond, Van Morrison, Angel Olsen, Hamilton Leithauser, Arcade Fire, Preoccupations, !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Here's mine!

Weds: Romare
    Thurs: Kiasmos, Pinegrove, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Kevin Morby, Broken Social Scene, Solange, Bon Iver, SURVIVE, Aphex Twin, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, BadBadNotGood, Bicep
    Fri: Sinkane, Mitski, Whitney, Sampha, Mac DeMarco, The xx, Run the Jewels, Jamie xx, Flying Lotus, Talaboman, Arab Strap
    Sat: The Magnetic Fields, Weyes Blood, Pond, Van Morrison, Angel Olsen, Hamilton Leithauser, Arcade Fire, Preoccupations, !!!, Metronomy

• Advertisement

Flying out tomorrow morning, very excited, first time going over to it. Disappointed Frank Ocean has cancelled, had kind of got into him over the past few months but I'm happy with Jamie XX as a replacement on such short notice, was always possible he was going to appear anyway I'd say.

My planned timetable looks like this:
    Thursday: Jackmaster, Alexis Taylor, Youandewan, Glass Animals, Bon Iver, SURVIVE, Fatima Yamaha, Henrik Schwarz, Bicep
    Friday: Sampha, Mac Demarco, The XX, Jamie XX, Tuff City Kids, Talaboman
    Saturday: Lauer, Pond, Van Morrisson, Metronomy, Grace Jones, Arcade Fire, !!!

Have the times moved around a bit? Seems as if there are more clashes for me now. Worst clash for me is Arcade Fire/Wild Beasts/John Talabot and then Glass Animals/Pender Street Steppers/Solange/Broken Social Scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

And frank has cancelled. Heading Manchester to see him next weekend not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

So how's yissers primavera experience been so far..?

That was great. Gonna be a struggle to return to an Irish festival after that!

My (first timer) experience was positive overall. Suppose I can get the negative or two out of the way first. The crowds for the main acts at the main stages are so stupidly big that you cannot see a damn thing. Miles back and it is so flat. Screens down low for arcade fire (wind I think) meant that you also couldn't even watch necessarily. Irritating.

Also, bar staff cannot handle a decent sized crowd at all. At busy times, better off leaving for ten minutes because they're just so slow.

But beyond that, loved it.

Everything was organised and running so smoothly. Security checks were thorough but quick. Crowd was chill and happy overall as far as I could see. Prices were grand (€5 for Heineken VS €6.20 at Electric picnic for example.)and the sound was (for the most part) excellent.

Highlights: (these aren't in a particular order) Kiasmos, Broken Social Scene, Bon Iver, Angel Olsen, Pond, Whitney and Hamilton Leithauser.

Arcade Fire was decent, Run the Jewels a little messy but generally good. Van Morrison looked good but I was heading away early and there was definitely a lot to enjoy in Sampha, Pinegrove and a few others.

Cannot understand the popularity of the xx but they certainly did themselves justice, just isn't for me. Didn't enjoy what I saw of Aphex Twin either but, again, think that's more me than him.

Think the "unexpected" stuff went down well. Arcade Fire, Mogwai and Haim is pretty impressive to just land on people with little notice even if you're not into the music. I got the notifications for each of them, managed to get friends front and centre for them all too because of that, though more than half our group didn't get any alert so maybe one to work on for next year.

Great weather, so much fun to chill on a beach or in Barcelona before going. Definitely would go back next year.

But now, time to sleep.

Bon Iver, teenage fanclub, the make up, wand, Mac Demarco and Whitney I really enjoyed. No data Thursday so missed the arcade fire gig. Food and beer decent I thought and this was my 5th in ten years I think.

Also, bar staff cannot handle a decent sized crowd at all. At busy times, better off leaving for ten minutes because they're just so slow.

Not a primavera thing more a culture thing. There is no such thing as a fast moving queue for food or beer in that city. Slow down and embrace it...

5th prima or possibly 6th, think i enjoyed it the most too. Hamilton, AF, RTJ the highlights for me. Them and the weather as ever.

Never found myself queueing longer than 5mins for food or beer (only ate the hotdogs tho)
    Went into town for the closing gig (!!! and make up) and the queue was pretty bad so sat in the square drinking cans from the local lads.

Don't think I'll do 5 nights anymore, 3 or 4 is enough for me now!

sweetie wrote: »
    Never found myself queueing longer than 5mins for food or beer (only ate the hotdogs tho)
    Went into town for the closing gig (!!! and make up) and the queue was pretty bad so sat in the square drinking cans from the local lads.

Don't think I'll do 5 nights anymore, 3 or 4 is enough for me now!

Wed -> Sun. Get wristband on Wed. Go to the free gigs on the Wed night. And get out mid afternoon on the Sunday. Means you have bank hol Monday at home to recover

Just got back from my first Primavera last night. Amazingly good festival and really enjoyable week spent in Barcelona. Musically every act I saw over the weekend put in a great performance, it felt as if everyone brought their A game and wanted to put on a showcase for one of the first big festivals of the summer. Bon Iver was one of my surprise highlights, went along pretty much because others wanted to see him and didn't expect his intimate sound to work so well on a big stage, but it really did and it was a great gig. I would definitely go to see him again. Mac DeMarco was probably the best set of the weekend, his tunes sounded great and his engagement with the crowd was hilarious. Arcade Fire were then the Saturday night highlight and played a great set with all of their hits, was looking forward to them all weekend and they didn't disappoint although I left about 15 mins before the end to run over to John Talabots disco set (which was serious craic from what I remember).

The XX were okay but I was hoping for better, felt like it lulled in the middle of their set and not convinced it worked on such a big stage although I was quite far back in the crowd. Jamie XX was fun but was just a DJ set on the main stage. Enjoyed Metronomy, Glass Animals, Sampha, SURVIVE and had a great run down at the Desperados Stage first thing on Thursday from Jackmaster through to Youandewan. Saw Flying Lotus and Run the Jewels too, good shows but their music isn't for me at all. Saw loads of music over the weekend and could have fit in more, my one regret was leaving earlyish on Thursday night and hence missing Henrik Schwarz, Tycho and Bicep.

Food and drink selection was decent, was expecting worse to be honest, but the queues at peak times for bars were insane. Was at the bar for half of Samphas set and from that point on I just bought drinks at quieter bars or the men going around the crowd selling pints. Very well organised and there was never queues to get in or out of the festival, found it quite easy to get taxis home the first two nights anyway.

Crowd was very sound for the most part, lot's of Irish and English there but overall much more of a calm/mature crowd than here. Overall a really enjoyable weekend and I would say the chances of me returning next year are very high!

• Advertisement

So early bird tickets are up at 11am. My question is if I buy a couple and end up not being able to use them, can they be sold easy enough or whats the story with that?

Advertisement