Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn JC German Course in one year to take it up new for the Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 11-11-2016 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Keeping this short as I've already posted other questions relating to the same problem just different scenarios. I'm in Transition Year making subject choices soon, took French for the Junior Cert, hated it and still do, refuse to do it for the Leaving Cert. German is another possibility in my school, I did it in First Year then dropped it for Second and Third. My question is, would it be in any way possible, if I put the work in, to learn the entire Junior Cert German course in my free time of Transition Year just in time to take German as a subject for 5th Year and be up to date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Firstly, do you know what course you want to do or have a general idea? As a sixth year, I'm just after realising that most of the courses I'm interested in don't even require a foreign language and I'm kicking myself because I hate my language.

Secondly, I honestly don't see the point of you starting a language from scratch when you already have 3 years experience with another? What makes you think you're going to like German?

Lastly, for the JC my main teacher was out for pretty much half of first year and all of second year and we were bounced around from sub to sub in those first two years. My French was very basic going in to 3rd year. From my experience with French, I just learned a bunch of vocabulary from comprehensions, practiced listening and learned note/postcard/letter phrases off by heart in one year (3rd year) and I ended up getting an A! So from my experience, yes it's possible to get a good level of a language to Junior Cert standard in one year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I've never done German so I can't really comment on the difficulty of the language but I imagine it'd be hard enough to get to a HL leaving cert standard in a year. Realistically you probably only got the very basics in 1st year. But if you're determined and willing to put in the effort then sure go for it! Get yourself a grinds teacher and if at all feasible try to go to Germany (or even one of those immersed language courses) so that you'll have some experience in the oral. Start with Duolingo as soon as possible, it's very useful!

Advertisement