Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Issues, weak signal

Options
  • 11-11-2016 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

I am having issues with wireless connectivity in my house. My modem is an Eircom ZyXEL D1000 Modem. I cannot get efibre at the moment.

My problem is I want to try and extend the signal throughout my house. I currently have Devolo dLAN plug in units. They seem to work but wireless signal from them is very poor.

So the setup I have is as follows...........

1 modem ethernet port is wired to the Devolo dLAN unit.

There are 3 Cat5 cables coming to the room where the modem currently is. These Cat5 cables are wired to LAN sockets in 3 rooms throughout the house and are connected to the 3 remaining modem ethernet ports.

What can i do to extend the wifi throughout the house? Is there something you could recommended to link via cat5 cable to the LAN socket in 1 of the 3 rooms in order to extend my wifi connection?

Thanks,

hbab2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

hbab2009 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am having issues with wireless connectivity in my house. My modem is an Eircom ZyXEL D1000 Modem. I cannot get efibre at the moment.

My problem is I want to try and extend the signal throughout my house. I currently have Devolo dLAN plug in units. They seem to work but wireless signal from them is very poor.

So the setup I have is as follows...........

1 modem ethernet port is wired to the Devolo dLAN unit.

There are 3 Cat5 cables coming to the room where the modem currently is. These Cat5 cables are wired to LAN sockets in 3 rooms throughout the house and are connected to the 3 remaining modem ethernet ports.

What can i do to extend the wifi throughout the house? Is there something you could recommended to link via cat5 cable to the LAN socket in 1 of the 3 rooms in order to extend my wifi connection?

Thanks,

hbab2009
    I have installed these in the past and found them easy to setup
    Range was ok
    but easy to add more access points if needed
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Only downside is you dont appear to have a Poe switch so you would have to use the supplied ac adapter which means you need a power supply ( socket ) where you want to install the AP

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

Thanks for the reply.

What should I wire my Cat5 cables to? An ethernet switch? Anyone recommend a decent one or are they all standard enough?

Thanks for the reply.

What should I wire my Cat5 cables to? An ethernet switch? Anyone recommend a decent one or are they all standard enough?

Fairly standard now at this stage
    But I would fork out a little extra for a poe ( power over ethernet )switch that supports 24v as well as 48v
    Not all poe switches support 24v so that you dont have to run power the location that your installing you access point ( wifi ) I have used TP link in the past and did not have any issues
    Google say 12 port gig poe switch and see what prices come up

of course there is no need to get a poe switch if cash is limited

you can use the supplied power injector and just go straight into your existing broadband router
    this is the injector
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=unifi+power+injector&biw=1280&bih=689&tbm=isch&imgil=5ThfHQ_rt9QDGM%253A%253Bo3E-E-Z2zMO21M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.wicomstore.com%25252Fproduct%25252Fubiquiti-power-over-ethernet-injector%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=5ThfHQ_rt9QDGM%253A%252Co3E-E-Z2zMO21M%252C_&usg=__Ltw6j-n2lnh6r7yACJgOwSxClUs%3D&ved=0ahUKEwj1yrqUqLTQAhXqCcAKHbBICD4QyjcIOA&ei=egEwWPWlG-qTgAawkaHwAw#imgrc=5ThfHQ_rt9QDGM%3A
    you plug a patch lead from your d1000 into this box and then plug the cable from your ap in then plug it into mains and it will send 24v up the cat 5 lead along with the data to power the access point

depends on how many ap your are going to put in it could get unsightly
    i would just try 1 first and see how the coverage is
    it is really easy to add another no real setting up it will auto provision and adopt all the settings from your first ap ( Access Point )

From your post looks like your only using 4 ports anyway which your d1000 modem has

to be honest unless the house is huge I don.t see you needing more than 1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,018 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you have a spare/old wireless router you could plug it into one of those three and use the wireless function of the router to provide signal.

Thanks folks for the replies, I am useless at this kind of thing. So lets say I go with the AP or an additional wireless modem is it possible to name them the same as my D1000 modem and also give them the same password as my D1000 modem or is that a no no?

• Advertisement

Yep on the unify ap
    It can be named same as existing wifi with same password
    However I would try it without the wifi in the router being used
    As in turn of the d1000 wifi and just use the AP and see how you get on

Sorry about this now, but do you mean turn off the wifi property of the D1000? How do I do that?

Sorry about this now, but do you mean turn off the wifi property of the D1000? How do I do that?
    If you had a unify AP
    You could log in to the D1000 Router and disable wifi
    That way you can monitor ( through the unify app ) all the traffic and settings usage and bandwidth going through the unify AP
    all in one place

Advertisement