Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Almost tripped over the path tonight.

Anyway. To clarify on the 5-10k plan. Is this bringing you to 5k? To 10k? Or from 5-10? Or something else?

Tomorrow calls for:
    8x1 min hills (2-3 min rec)

Any auld hill, yeah?

Have to look up my CV pace as I'll need that next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Almost tripped over the path tonight.

Anyway. To clarify on the 5-10k plan. Is this bringing you to 5k? To 10k? Or from 5-10? Or something else?

Tomorrow calls for:

Any auld hill, yeah?

Have to look up my CV pace as I'll need that next week.

The 5-10K plan will prepare you to race a 5K, a 10K or any distance in between. As for the hill, assuming you don't have a wide selection to choose from, just go for one of a decent length so that you're actually climbing for the duration of the rep. Straight with a good surface would be a bonus too. Take the full recovery and work hard on the reps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks BG. Hill near work is alright. Not much choice where I live, but that's not really an issue for Wednesdays. What should I be thinking of for the hill pace?

Think I've found a 10k target for May. :)

Thanks BG. Hill near work is alright. Not much choice where I live, but that's not really an issue for Wednesdays. What should I be thinking of for the hill pace?

Think I've found a 10k target for May. :)

Good choice of race. The hill work will come in handy :D.

Go for a good hard effort on the first rep. Note the time/pace. Aim for this time/pace for the rest of the reps. If you can't hit that time/pace for the rest of the reps, revise downwards for the next time. If it feels too easy then go out a bit harder the next time. I'm guessing it'll work out about 3k pace, but that really depends on how tough/steep the hill is.

Fairly windy out tonight, including the drive on the M50.

Update and some questions :P re the 8x1 min hills (2-3 min rec). Is it worth logging the total mileage on these sort of workouts? Perhaps not much point.

I don't have Strava and am not sure how to convey the pace figures here. Over Time? Over Distance? Customise overlay Pace over Elevation? Speed? Even doing that I'm not sure how to read it to post a summary. :confused:

Fairly windy out tonight, including the drive on the M50.

Update and some questions :P re the 8x1 min hills (2-3 min rec). Is it worth logging the total mileage on these sort of workouts? Perhaps not much point.

I don't have Strava and am not sure how to convey the pace figures here. Over Time? Over Distance? Customise overlay Pace over Elevation? Speed? Even doing that I'm not sure how to read it to post a summary. :confused:

Why not log the mileage ? It all counts. With the warm up and cool down (you did do a warm up and a cool down ???) it all adds up.

As for recording the details of the session, are you using a Garmin ? Does it have a lap button ? Whatever device you're using I would get the splits for each 1 min rep and each recovery, the distance covered for each 1 min rep and the pace for each rep. You can then compare these stats the next time you do the session and marvel at your improvement :D. That's what I'd do anyway ;)

Yes, indeed. It's a Forerunner 305.

kthx, talk soon. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yes, indeed. It's a Forerunner 305.

kthx, talk soon. :pac:

You can also sync your Garmin account to a strava account , when you upload to Garmin connect it is automatically shared with starve. I only use strava for interaction with the groups with various runners here. There's a general boards group and a 2016 novices group too. The free strava works grand for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck to all the Graduates running today!

• Advertisement

Best of luck to all the Graduates running today!

+1. And don't forget the race reports please !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck in Raheny today to all the graduates....looking forward to the reports later. Not going to make it out today.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Why not log the mileage ? It all counts. With the warm up and cool down (you did do a warm up and a cool down ???) it all adds up.

As for recording the details of the session, are you using a Garmin ? Does it have a lap button ? Whatever device you're using I would get the splits for each 1 min rep and each recovery, the distance covered for each 1 min rep and the pace for each rep. You can then compare these stats the next time you do the session and marvel at your improvement :D. That's what I'd do anyway ;)

I do warm up (at easy) more so than cool downs. Truth be told, I reset the watch to zero and bin the warm up times/stats at the end of the week. I only log the mileage for the workouts.

For tomorrow, I have to do: 6x3 min CV w/3 min rec.

So, do I do 3 min at CV, hit the lap button, recover x3 min and repeat this 6 times, i.e. hit the lap button x6? Is that the correct procedure?

I do warm up (at easy) more so than cool downs. Truth be told, I reset the watch to zero and bin the warm up times/stats at the end of the week. I only log the mileage for the workouts.

For tomorrow, I have to do: 6x3 min CV w/3 min rec.

So, do I do 3 min at CV, hit the lap button, recover x3 min and repeat this 6 times, i.e. hit the lap button x6? Is that the correct procedure?

Warm ups and cool downs all count towards your mileage! Why not include them ?

If you want to get proper splits, hit the lap button at the start and end of each rep (so x12 in total). That way you'll get the pace for the reps excluding the 3 mins recovery so you can compare the faster segments with each other. Does that make sense ?

Week 4 of build up. I Missed tonights run and won't get a chance to run tomorrow. Thursday is 50/50 for running as I'll be travelling in the morning and have pilates at night . I'm a bit sore around both glutes . I think its a side effect of the s and c.

I'm thinking I should write this week off plan wise let the glutes settle and do a few easy runs over the weekend and start week 4 this day week . Any thoughts BG?

The Muppet wrote: »
    Week 4 of build up. I Missed tonights run and won't get a chance to run tomorrow. Thursday is 50/50 for running as I'll be travelling in the morning and have pilates at night . I'm a bit sore around both glutes . I think its a side effect of the s and c.

I'm thinking I should write this week off plan wise let the glutes settle and do a few easy runs over the weekend and start week 4 this day week . Any thoughts BG?

No harm, T. Take this as an easy/step-back week, fit in what you can and start fresh next week. Maybe do some gentle foam rolling this week to help any tight muscles.

• Advertisement

Warm ups and cool downs all count towards your mileage! Why not include them?

Pure habit, tbh. I didn't during DCM training...

Watch battery was low when I was getting changed in work, then flat tonight in the car park, so I haven't been out yet. Went to the recycling centre and then had dinner before 8.

Did hear someone use the phrase 'great stretch in the evening'. First time hearing it IRL. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Pure habit, tbh. I didn't during DCM training...

Watch battery was low when I was getting changed in work, then flat tonight in the car park, so I haven't been out yet. Went to the recycling centre and then had dinner before 8.

Did hear someone use the phrase 'great stretch in the evening'. First time hearing it IRL. :pac:

You can run without the watch and still record it if that helps? A dead watch is ok. You can do a route that you know and map it afterwards on map my run. You can also bring your phone with you and record on any of the apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithmc

Bungy cheers for that advice/post. I took your advice and have stopped running completely for a few weeks just to give my body a chance to heal properly. I've had physio and finished with him last Wednesday morning. I've sourced a pilates class to get working on S&C so just waiting on that to start now. Did a 20 minute brisk walk yesterday and all going well I'm thinking a short, slow 5km Sunday afternoon.
    I'm beginning to consider the gym as an alternative to keep fitness up. It's amazing how quickly you lose the motivation and I know if mine is left unanswered for much longer i'll be in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Happy Friday everyone! How is everyone getting on with the running plans?
    I'm on week 3 of the 10k/half marathon plan and really enjoying it. Although I've modified mine slightly to just 4 runs per week.

I bit the bullet this week and signed up for the Wexford half marathon on April 23rd. Is anyone targeting the same race or has anyone raced it before?

faithmc wrote: »
    Bungy cheers for that advice/post. I took your advice and have stopped running completely for a few weeks just to give my body a chance to heal properly. I've had physio and finished with him last Wednesday morning. I've sourced a pilates class to get working on S&C so just waiting on that to start now. Did a 20 minute brisk walk yesterday and all going well I'm thinking a short, slow 5km Sunday afternoon.
    I'm beginning to consider the gym as an alternative to keep fitness up. It's amazing how quickly you lose the motivation and I know if mine is left unanswered for much longer i'll be in big trouble.

No problem, faithmc. I've no doubt your patience will be rewarded! One step at a time and don't be afraid to take breaks if required. Great that you're working on the S&C too.
    Happy Friday everyone! How is everyone getting on with the running plans?
    I'm on week 3 of the 10k/half marathon plan and really enjoying it. Although I've modified mine slightly to just 4 runs per week.

I bit the bullet this week and signed up for the Wexford half marathon on April 23rd. Is anyone targeting the same race or has anyone raced it before?

I'm not familiar with it but if you do a search of the Events sub-forum from previous years it should turn up a thread. Best of luck with the plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

That was my very first half in 2014! Grand event, but not as flat as is advertised.

The first part of the route takes in the grounds of this castle, which is quite nice and scenic. It does contain an out-and-back or two which are annoying. The second part of the route eventually is along the main road into Wexford, which is not as pleasant. It's also rolling up and down a little which was hard.

When I ran it, I made the classic mistake of going out too hard, especially as we had the wind in our back first. The final 5k in the wind was not pleasant as a result (and that is an understatement).

Good luck! Pity you're not doing Connemara!

Look who it is. :P

Frost beckons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

nop98 wrote: »
    That was my very first half in 2014! Grand event, but not as flat as is advertised.

The first part of the route takes in the grounds of this castle, which is quite nice and scenic. It does contain an out-and-back or two which are annoying. The second part of the route eventually is along the main road into Wexford, which is not as pleasant. It's also rolling up and down a little which was hard.

When I ran it, I made the classic mistake of going out too hard, especially as we had the wind in our back first. The final 5k in the wind was not pleasant as a result (and that is an understatement).

Good luck! Pity you're not doing Connemara!

Interesting, thanks a mill for the info nop. And lovely to see that you're still popping in here :)

Wexford won out in the end due to proximity to Dublin and lack of hills, although you've just rained all over the hill thing :o

I hope Connemara training is going well!

Would this be the origins of Stick to the Plan, sir?

Would this be the origins of Stick to the Plan, sir?

Yes, indeed. It is a lesson learned over several painful failures. This one was my very first, I have since repeated the same mistake at least half a dozen times, in fact, I can't quite recall to ever getting it right until maybe Jingle Bells this year. I will admit to having an excellent pacer that race! ;)
    Interesting, thanks a mill for the info nop. And lovely to see that you're still popping in here :)

Wexford won out in the end due to proximity to Dublin and lack of hills, although you've just rained all over the hill thing :o

I hope Connemara training is going well!

Welcome C - following with keen interest but you lot are a little quiet!

Funny that you mention the hills. When I ran WX, I wasn't prepared for hills at all and thought the course was much more undulating that I expected. When I ran CNM (half) I had done A LOT of hills to prepare and I actually thought (and still think) it has an exaggerated rep of being hilly and monstrously hard and all that. Yeah there's a couple of drags but the first is right at the start, when you're fresh and full of the joys of running a HM :), and there's plenty of downhills too. The HotW is tough but not *that* tough.

That said, there's nothing wrong with its rep for being stunny and awesome and fully deserves a place on anyone's bucketlist!

Good luck in WX (*cough* race-report ;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Funny that you mention the hills. When I ran WX, I wasn't prepared for hills at all and thought the course was much more undulating that I expected. When I ran CNM (half) I had done A LOT of hills to prepare and I actually thought (and still think) it has an exaggerated rep of being hilly and monstrously hard and all that. Yeah there's a couple of drags but the first is right at the start, when you're fresh and full of the joys of running a HM :), and there's plenty of downhills too. The HotW is tough but not *that* tough.

That said, there's nothing wrong with its rep for being stunny and awesome and fully deserves a place on anyone's bucketlist!

Hey Nop, hope all good.. would you believe I hopped on here to look about Connemara marathon in late April. Was near considering Manchester at start of April but now considering Connemara as my 1st marathon in 2017.. 2nd to be DCM.

Its 10 weeks out and I am still clocking up the miles each week and getting a long run in too.. average maybe 14-15 but think I could ramp it up to the required 20 in a few weeks.

Not looking for advice.. ;) But would you recommend Connemara? Its end of the kids mid-term so would likely take the family and link it with a few days in a hotel and struggle back to Dublin that evening.. not entirely sure yet.

What you reckon?

Hey Nop, hope all good.. would you believe I hopped on here to look about Connemara marathon in late April. Was near considering Manchester at start of April but now considering Connemara as my 1st marathon in 2017.. 2nd to be DCM.

Its 10 weeks out and I am still clocking up the miles each week and getting a long run in too.. average maybe 14-15 but think I could ramp it up to the required 20 in a few weeks.

Not looking for advice.. ;) But would you recommend Connemara? Its end of the kids mid-term so would likely take the family and link it with a few days in a hotel and struggle back to Dublin that evening.. not entirely sure yet.

What you reckon?

Hello Mr Paddy D :)

All is good indeed - I trust the same with you!

Obviously I am a little biased towards CNM.. I only ran the Half there in 2015, as a "lads road trip" and we had a great time and I shaved a whole 3 seconds of my modest best time. Come to think about it, I started using the A/R training logs here on boards in the lead-up towards that race. The obviously mandatory race-report is here if you're interested.

Obviously it's a completely different experience from DCM, in terms of landscape, number of spectators and course. You definitely will need to be in Galway overnight as you need to be bussed to the start at insane-o-clock in the morning (and you need to be bussed back afterwards). I don't imagine it will be easy for your family to come and cheer you on (certainly not en-route, I think it's possible to get to the finish-line in Maam Cross). That is something to work out with them before signing up... :) (I'm not bringing the family, instead, it'll be another boys-trip). Other than that, I can really recommend it (I think!) and it would be great to see another friendly face in the mid-pack - the legendary Neady83 is also signed up. Oh, yeah, driving home afterwards, I simply don't think about that just yet. ;)

Hi Nop.. yep all good Thanks! I had mixed up mid term dates a little and this is last day of mid term whereas for some reason I thought it was start of or middle of so I think I may be on my own for this one as regards travel.. that's on my own family wise but hoping to get a friend signed up to share the trip.

Will look into it more over the weekend and see how I am on the training plan to jump in with 10 weeks to go. Hoping mileage at present will allow it.

Chat more soon.. Thanks

DCM 2017 booked. A welcome distraction from the political mess going on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

What you reckon?

Doing Connemara too Paddy! its my home town marathon so always wanted to do it. Its a very different animal - but a great challenge. I am really looking forward to it and I might even get to met our esteemed former mentor!!

• Advertisement

ToriV wrote: »
    Doing Connemara too Paddy! its my home town marathon so always wanted to do it. Its a very different animal - but a great challenge. I am really looking forward to it and I might even get to met our esteemed former mentor!!

Good to hear ToriV.. Thanks fro your message. Have not booked yet.. think places still OK for it.

Need to agree some logistics with the family and then hope to get it confirmed. Need something to follow a plan for over the next 8 weeks.

Fingers crossed..

Aerobic power tomorrow. i.e.

7f9ea39305091788dc4fdadaeab993ba.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Need something to follow a plan for over the next 8 weeks.

Fingers crossed..

Looking at some of your long runs I assumed you were planning on tackling Everest!

Good to hear ToriV.. Thanks fro your message. Have not booked yet.. think places still OK for it.

Need to agree some logistics with the family and then hope to get it confirmed. Need something to follow a plan for over the next 8 weeks.

Fingers crossed..[/quote

I havent heard its at capacity yet , so you should be ok for a few days while sorting it.

I agree with Nop that its not really one for bringing people along too. Haven't done it but know the area very well and there are road closures etc even finish line can be hard to get too. Galway is great though and i think theres a get together that night - might be worth lokking into staying over.

What sort of plan are you looking at just out of curiosity?

Hello Mr Paddy D :)

All is good indeed - I trust the same with you!

Obviously I am a little biased towards CNM.. I only ran the Half there in 2015, as a "lads road trip" and we had a great time and I shaved a whole 3 seconds of my modest best time. Come to think about it, I started using the A/R training logs here on boards in the lead-up towards that race. The obviously mandatory race-report is here if you're interested.

Obviously it's a completely different experience from DCM, in terms of landscape, number of spectators and course. You definitely will need to be in Galway overnight as you need to be bussed to the start at insane-o-clock in the morning (and you need to be bussed back afterwards). I don't imagine it will be easy for your family to come and cheer you on (certainly not en-route, I think it's possible to get to the finish-line in Maam Cross). That is something to work out with them before signing up... :) (I'm not bringing the family, instead, it'll be another boys-trip). Other than that, I can really recommend it (I think!) and it would be great to see another friendly face in the mid-pack - the legendary Neady83 is also signed up. Oh, yeah, driving home afterwards, I simply don't think about that just yet. ;)

Great race report Nop. Really helpful advice there. Going to remember that at the top of the hill!

kin9pin wrote: »
    Looking at some of your long runs I assumed you were planning on tackling Everest!

There is a marathon there too for him! :)

kin9pin wrote: »

We've got the mountains on our doorstep..would be shame not to use them.. :D

You just need to take left out of your place and head upwards instead of over to Sandyford..

ToriV wrote: »

Fingers crossed..[/quote

I havent heard its at capacity yet , so you should be ok for a few days while sorting it.

I agree with Nop that its not really one for bringing people along too. Haven't done it but know the area very well and there are road closures etc even finish line can be hard to get too. Galway is great though and i think theres a get together that night - might be worth lokking into staying over.

What sort of plan are you looking at just out of curiosity?

At the moment it is just keeping up the miles.. I am going to sit down again later this evening and look at this some more..:)

I'm on week 5 of base building, just wondering if switching Sundays long run to Saturday and Saturdays run to Sunday is ok, it just suits me better to do the long run Saturday but I think I could move all runs back a day if its really important to keep the runs in the sequence on the plan?

• Advertisement

I'm on week 5 of base building, just wondering if switching Sundays long run to Saturday and Saturdays run to Sunday is ok, it just suits me better to do the long run Saturday but I think I could move all runs back a day if its really important to keep the runs in the sequence on the plan?

Don't see a problem with switching them. Just keep the long run at the right pace and you should be fine for the shorter run 'with stuff' the next day. Moving all runs back a day works too, but could be a bit impractical for anyone working Monday - Friday who has more time to spend running at the weekend.

Don't see a problem with switching them. Just keep the long run at the right pace and you should be fine for the shorter run 'with stuff' the next day. Moving all runs back a day works too, but could be a bit impractical for anyone working Monday - Friday who has more time to spend running at the weekend.

Thanks G, my preference would be to swap them , moving back a day would be ok for me too I think . Thursday and Sunday would be rest days and my pilates class is Thursday so it wouldn't be a complete rest day if I did.

Think black toes will be gone in a few months. That's my cosmetics update...

Think black toes will be gone in a few months. That's my cosmetics update...

I've still got my 2 as well , both big toes , one of them is growing out , I think the other will come off at some stage, I' d miss them if they were gone , they are a kind of badge of honour at this stage, suppose I'll just have to get another two when that happens.

Hows the plan going with you, I will be finished base training this week so moving onto the interesting part of the plan next week.

Going grand, thanks. Am on week 5 of the 5-10k plan. Doing a 10k over on Inishbofin in May. ;) Hips were a little sore on the stairs this morning and my watch is acting tonight. Other than that, can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

I've still got my 2 as well , both big toes , one of them is growing out , I think the other will come off at some stage, I' d miss them if they were gone , they are a kind of badge of honour at this stage, suppose I'll just have to get another two when that happens.

Hows the plan going with you, I will be finished base training this week so moving onto the interesting part of the plan next week.

Don't worry you'll loose more, have lost and regrown loads in my short career.

• Advertisement

The fluich is out tonight.

The fluich is out tonight.

It is. But it's only weather folks, don't let it put you off! :D

Welcome to March. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

This site down for anyone else? http://www.runningprs.com/calc2/index.php

Looks like the whole site is down/dormant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement