Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Do it! You can't beat XC :)

Lovely to see paddy driver this morning doing part of his long run in Cabinteely park :) nice to catch up H.

Hey AM.. great to meet! Isn't it such a small city and a smaller community of running folk that we meet like that!

Was a lovely morning for a run and Cabinteely Park was so crisp and peaceful. Reminds me I need to bring the kids up the the playground there again soon!

If I am passing thru at that time again soon I will try remember to bring my barcode and get a Park Run in too..:)

7 miles done this morning....hit the 1000 miles for the year mark.

Now for present wrapping!

Well Done! About 3.5M off myself.. had intended to get out this evening but ended up watching SPOTY on BBC instead. I thought I would hit the 1000M yesterday but got my Km to Mile conversion a little off on the Garmin Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I will be looking out for your post tomorrow H....almost there!

Surprised Farah wasn't in the top 3 of SPOTY....of course I have to be happy that Murray won!

Well Done! About 3.5M off myself.. had intended to get out this evening but ended up watching SPOTY on BBC instead. I thought I would hit the 1000M yesterday but got my Km to Mile conversion a little off on the Garmin Connect.

Surprised Farah wasn't in the top 3 of SPOTY....of course I have to be happy that Murray won!

Getting used to having Andy Murray accepting from poolside in Miami..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Last run was the 13th November.

Base Phase plan starts today.

• Advertisement

Got up at 6AM and out for the early one this morning and tipped thru 1612Km to give a total of circa 1002 Miles for 2017 2016..!

Now.. I only joined Strava in May and that has me at 943 Miles (Bearing in mind I was injured up to late Feb and then had a slow start back into my running..

So, being the stubborn git that I am, my new challenge is Strava 1000 Miles.. this will be a stiff one to hit and requires 2 x 30 Mile weeks between now and 31st Dec. Throw in Christmas, a 2 day trip to UK for a PL match on Stephen's Day.. and the other festivities; this is going to be a tough one!

Might be a very "Long Run" on Sat 31st Dec! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Got up at 6AM and out for the early one this morning and tipped thru 1612Km to give a total of circa 1002 Miles for 2017!

Now.. I only joined Strava in May and that has me at 943 Miles (Bearing in mind I was injured up to late Feb and then had a slow start back into my running..

So, being the stubborn git that I am, my new challenge is Strava 1000 Miles.. this will be a stiff one to hit and requires 2 x 30 Mile weeks between now and 31st Dec. Throw in Christmas, a 2 day trip to UK for a PL match on Stephen's Day.. and the other festivities; this is going to be a tough one!

Might be a very "Long Run" on Sat 31st Dec! :eek:

Great stuff H! I did wonder about your Strava total :)

kin9pin wrote: »
    Great stuff H! I did wonder about your Strava total :)

Thanks A.. Now you've definitely put me up to it.. no ambiguity :P

Its the Strava 1000 Mile Challenge now!

I've climbed higher than Everest also so should be fairly happy with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Nice one H......my Garmin and Strava were out of whack so I took my own Strava 1000 mile challenge!

You will get the 1000 PMA sure what is a marathon on Dec 31st between friends?
    Thanks A.. Now you've definitely put me up to it.. no ambiguity :P

Its the Strava 1000 Mile Challenge now!

I've climbed higher than Everest also so should be fairly happy with that too.

Nice one H......my Garmin and Strava were out of whack so I took my own Strava 1000 mile challenge!

You will get the 1000 PMA sure what is a marathon on Dec 31st between friends?

I think I am up for it.. just need to get a few more of the early runs happening this week. Don't want to be left with it all to do next week...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Got up at 6AM and out for the early one this morning and tipped thru 1612Km to give a total of circa 1002 Miles for 2017!

Wow, that's impressive H :D:D time travel included :pac:

Wow, that's impressive H :D:D time travel included :pac:

Darn it.. thought I had edited that bit.. Was checking to see who was reading it :D

I'll bring you a coffee next time I am passing thru Cabinteely at 09:30 on Sat morning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

For 60min easy to MP, what should I be doing, 30mins easy and 30mins MP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think it'll be 45 minutes on the treadmill tonight, as opposed to outdoors. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

RasTa wrote: »
    For 60min easy to MP, what should I be doing, 30mins easy and 30mins MP?

It's a progression run, so start easy and work your way up gradually to MP. It's not necessarily X amount of minutes at Y pace (although you can do that if it makes it easier). The important thing is to start slow and increase gradually until you're at MP. So no sudden bursts or changes of pace just a nice linear progression. Does that make sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Think it'll be 45 minutes on the treadmill tonight, as opposed to outdoors. Ugh.

Ah go on, it's only water :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It was due a work thing, not the fliuch. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Still not a great deal of running out of me I'm afraid, just mad busy for the last 2 weeks but the madness ends soon. On the plus side the niggles have completely settled so hopefully once I start back I can get some consistency back.

Today is the shortest day of the year , the days start getting longer from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Haven't run since Sunday, 11th myself. I was sick last week - totally wiped out, so I didn't mind missing a few runs. I'm much better this week and was raring to go, but just haven't had a chance to get out.

Feels like I'll be starting again from scratch in January!

tailgunner wrote: »
    Haven't run since Sunday, 11th myself. I was sick last week - totally wiped out, so I didn't mind missing a few runs. I'm much better this week and was raring to go, but just haven't had a chance to get out.

You can join me at the back of the class TG :D

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Still not a great deal of running out of me I'm afraid, just mad busy for the last 2 weeks but the madness ends soon. On the plus side the niggles have completely settled so hopefully once I start back I can get some consistency back.

Today is the shortest day of the year , the days start getting longer from now on.
    tailgunner wrote: »

It does work well that a few unexpected days off can let the legs recover well and the niggles do go away but the flip side is that you start thinking about missing the runs and question fitness loss etc etc.. those thoughts that run thru the head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Feel less bad about shelving last night's easy run now, thanks lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I got yesterday's run in at lunchtime in great weather. First time I've run at lunch, but it was great to actually get away from the office for a bit and clear the head by the canal. Might be the plan for my Tuesday and Thursday runs.

I'd love to do lunch runs more often, I've only ever done it once. Can't really fit it in though, the run itself would be an hour and that's before you shower and eat afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Here I AM!

After my DCM I got a few doses and was wrecked and barely ran. By the start of Feb when I was finally motivated again I realised I had run 26 miles in the whole of Jan. It happens, don't fret. The marathon would have taken a lot out of you. Don't rush into a plan if not ready or beat yourself up if you are not able to follow it.

I also got into lunchtime running and it was really super. 4 nice easy miles on lunch really suited me so if you can make that work, try it and fit it into the schedule for yourselves. It turns out when I started I was running them all far too fast so it was handy to have a log and have this pointed out to me.

Yes, the shortest day of the year. SUMMER is coming :D

I want to thank you for my top, that's very good of you. When I run again I will wear it. I look SUPER in Blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

The Muppet wrote: »
    You can join me at the back of the class TG :D

I've been back here throwing paper aeroplanes around since mid-October!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

It's Christmas!! eat, drink and be merry :pac: the running will come back all in good time, yiz'll be grand

Happy Christmas graduates :)

It's Christmas!! eat, drink and be merry :pac: the running will come back all in good time, yiz'll be grand

Feck that, I have every intention of going out for a nice run on Christmas morning after I open me presents. :D

That's me convinced, see how easy that was.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

kin9pin wrote: »
    I got yesterday's run in at lunchtime in great weather. First time I've run at lunch, but it was great to actually get away from the office for a bit and clear the head by the canal. Might be the plan for my Tuesday and Thursday runs.

I did the same yesterday. I don't work anywhere near where I live so I don't know the area well at all. I might have got lost & was disappeared from my work for over 70 mins:o Luckily it's Christmas and nobody noticed/cared:D

Edit: also I was very smug leaving work in the pissing rain when I'd got my run done while it was still nice and sunny.

Advertisement