Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What sick bastard came up with this base plan. Out for running 4 days in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RasTa wrote: »
    What sick bastard came up with this base plan. Out for running 4 days in a row

Why four days in a row? Mondays and Fridays are optional so it's 3 and 2. Unless you had to reorganise it around your life I suppose.

Ye can never take the first day off when starting a plan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A little chilly out there tonight. Run was good, happy with the legs and feel of it.

And just to join Pompla on the smug train, running along I was thinking back to DCM memories 'the body is quite a machine, when it wants to be'.

I'll whisht now. :pac:

I'm loving these progression runs on the base plan. It's exactly the type of thing I missed during marathon training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RasTa wrote: »
    Ye can never take the first day off when starting a plan.

You could have started on Tuesday. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Double Hill Loop in the Phoenix Park last night with the Donore lads; steady on the flat and pushed it on the hills....bit different running in the park in the pitch black dark.....made good use of the marathon head torch though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Got out for 5 miles this lunchtime. Nice once I warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

xmas-in-oz-2013.jpg

Post #400 :D

Merry Xmas, Graduates! Enjoy the festivities but do take advantage of the time out (hopefully you're all getting some sort of break from work!) to get out for a run or two. You'll feel all the better for it. And smug. Remember to be smug. And don't forget to write down all those new year resolutions. Great things to be achieved by y'all in 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    xmas-in-oz-2013.jpg

Post #400 :D

Merry Xmas, Graduates! Enjoy the festivities but do take advantage of the time out (hopefully you're all getting some sort of break from work!) to get out for a run or two. You'll feel all the better for it. And smug. Remember to be smug. And don't forget to write down all those new year resolutions. Great things to be achieved by y'all in 2017.

Thanks Bungy Girl :)

I had a horrible flu the last week but its cleared just in time for Christmas Eve so i'm off out now for a short run and fully intend on enjoying another tomorrow :D

Happy Xmas Everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Happy Christmas to all the 2016 Graduates! What a journey we have been on this year; it is good at this time of year to reflect back on what we have all achieved....a big massive pat on the back to us all and also all the folks on here who have given up their own time to offer help and advice!

I have signed up for the Tom Brennan 5k on Jan 1 so might see some of you there.

2016 you have been a blast looking forward to 2017 already.

Well done all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Merry Christmas to all who contributed to this thread and the mentor team ,fellow graduates , the runners who started out on the journey and didn't make it to the startline and everyone that chipped on with help and encouragement. Have a great xmas

Got my long run in today, 1 hour 45 in the pissing rain and howling wind. Feeling smug as f*ck, as ordered. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Happy Christmas folks. Have a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Have a great Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

Hi guys,

It's great to see most of you are back into a good routine of running again. Since the marathon I've ran 3 times. One of those was today, I did a 5km turkey trot. Got around in 25 mins. That's 2 and a half mins off my pb. I was very happy with it. I didn't want to push it too much after all the injury trouble I've had. I think I'm over all that now and ready to start the base plan that Myles has so kindly put together for us. I'll do a few weeks of all easy running, then start the base phase mid January.

Plans for 2017: stay injury free..everything else will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Hi all, hope you've had a lovely Christmas....I've just been catching up on all the posts, I've been laying low for the past few weeks, getting out for the odd jog, knee is improving but definitely not better, however I am up to running 10k now. I've rested it for the past 4 days so plan on heading to the Curragh to do a 10k on grass tomorrow. I'm not starting any plans until knee is fully recovered. Wishing everyone a wonderful 2017 :)

Bashed out 10 miles in 90 mins running around the park. A little bit off very easy pace...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hope everyone had some time to sit in front of a fire over Christmas.

This Saturday my agenda features:
    50 min mix (9 min easy/1 min hard)

What's the 1 min hard?

Opposite of 1 min easy :pac:

• Advertisement

Sounds like computer shooting game modes.

Easy - enemies are dim and you can take them out easily
    Hard - enemies are hardened and stubborn gits
    Veteran - you will not survive

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I imagine it's somewhere between 1 mile and 5k pace? Looks like the type of workout where hitting an exact pace isn't necessary, you just want the 1 minute to feel hard and then have 9 minutes easy after. Though I doubt you'd want to be emptying the tank either.

Though I'm not 100% sure, so probably best to wait til one of the mentors replies.

Hope everyone had some time to sit in front of a fire over Christmas.

This Saturday my agenda features:

What's the 1 min hard?
    I imagine it's somewhere between 1 mile and 5k pace? Looks like the type of workout where hitting an exact pace isn't necessary, you just want the 1 minute to feel hard and then have 9 minutes easy after. Though I doubt you'd want to be emptying the tank either.

Though I'm not 100% sure, so probably best to wait til one of the mentors replies.

BK is right, don't worry about hitting a particular pace. You want to keep a hard effort going for 60 seconds. Not so hard that you collapse in a heap after each rep, you'll need to be able to maintain your easy pace for the 9 mins after. 9 mins is plenty of recovery so you'll be able to give each of the 1 min sections a bit of welly. Let us know how you get on.

Fwiw I did them a bit harder than 5k pace, probably mile effort and worked out well.

50 min mix (9 min easy/1 min hard) done.

Anyone run near anything interesting? I often pass this boat restoration project that fergal.b is undertaking over in the Sailing and Boating forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Anyone run near anything interesting?

I had a race the other day and the route went past a field with a burnt out car in the middle of it. Very glamorous.

Burnt out car - Wicklow at a guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to a very successful 2016 as we have all progressed to Graduate's and a very Healthy Injury free 2017 with lots of new PB's.

Won't even begin to go into all the successes of 2016 but it has been a very good year. I've achieved some running goals, and indeed life goals, that I did not think possible. Finished it off with a 5k PB on Tuesday when running in UK with a relative. I reached my 1000 mile target and the highlight being the training and completing of the DCM in Oct in a time I could only dream of at the start of the year.

The only downside is that I see out the year with a house full of sick kids and a tummy that is rumbling like a washing machine on a fast spin...:(

Enjoy the evening!

The only downside is that I see out the year with a house full of sick kids and a tummy that is rumbling like a washing machine on a fast spin...:(

Yikes! Hope everyone feels better soon!

• Advertisement

12393637_452996911557811_1808411038_n.jpg

Advertisement