Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Yikes! Hope everyone feels better soon!

Thanks BG.. t'is a happier house this morning I think. We all got thru the night! Managed to make it to midnight together.. well except for youngest :).. but we left the streamers on the floor for him to find this morning.

Think I am going to take another day or two off running yet so unfortunately I will be closing off with a very low mileage week but probably all for the best.

Now.. need to set a few targets for 2017 and see where it's all going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Glad to hear everyone is on the mend H; I think you more than deserve a few days off from the running. You have had a big last few weeks!

And Happy New Year to you all; let's hope that 2017 is a happy and healthy one.

Craig

Thanks BG.. t'is a happier house this morning I think. We all got thru the night! Managed to make it to midnight together.. well except for youngest :).. but we left the streamers on the floor for him to find this morning.

Think I am going to take another day or two off running yet so unfortunately I will be closing off with a very low mileage week but probably all for the best.

Now.. need to set a few targets for 2017 and see where it's all going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the sub 20 C. I'm pretty sure you sailed past me just before the roundabout on the first lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Congrats on the sub 20 C. I'm pretty sure you sailed past me just before the roundabout on the first lap.

Take it from that WW you weren't the MSB runner I ran alongside for more or less the duration of the race, came in 19.59 chip time?

Not me I'm afraid. That's who I should have been running with. Add a minute on to that. Wretched. I'll stick a bit more detail up on my own log later.

• Advertisement

Thanks WW that was me alright....You went past me just at the start and I was pretty much on your tail until the 1km mark.

Glad to get under the 20.....your time will come soon enough....I was hoping you would be coming in just behind me when I finished but I didn't spot you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

10miles today around the Phoenix Park and the 3rd run this week. All on the trails.

I won't be doing much road stuff this year and 2017 shall be the year of the trails, if I'm not filthy coming back than I'm not happy.

Happy New Year all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Burnt out car - Wicklow at a guess?

Southside of Cork City!

Happy new year everyone.

Thanks WW that was me alright....You went past me just at the start and I was pretty much on your tail until the 1km mark.

Glad to get under the 20.....your time will come soon enough....I was hoping you would be coming in just behind me when I finished but I didn't spot you.

Great running C.. won't be thinking of a sub 20M 5k anytime soon; think I will need to shift another stone to get there..:) Did 22:07 earlier in week so think if I go out actually targeting a time then I can get in below 21 mins but need the right course to do it.. My normal Marley Parkrun wouldn't be suitable as the steep climb at start takes it out of you.

Thanks for message earlier.. yep, have put in good miles last few weeks so hopefully be back refreshed soon. Still waiting for the colder weather to arrive so I can test out all the warm gear I got for Crimbo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Happy new year everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Hi all,

Happy New Year, all. Great to see you are all still running! Hope you are all well.

Apologies have only just caught up with c30 pages.... however some very valuable advice. Since DCM, I basically took November off (advised by my physio as underlying hip issue) but started easy running twice a week in December c7/8 miles per week. Result mileage for 2016 was 880 miles which was probably the sum total for 2013-2015 combined!!'

Starting Pilates in mid Jan and after that will see if I'm permitted to run long distances or if I'm restricted to shorter distances then need to target a race (hoping for a Spring half if the former applies) . Until then will stick to short easy runs a few times a week.

Thanks BG and Myles for providing great advice which hopefully I'm can test drive in some capacity soon!

Ciao for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

RasTa wrote: »
    10miles today around the Phoenix Park and the 3rd run this week. All on the trails.

I won't be doing much road stuff this year and 2017 shall be the year of the trails, if I'm not filthy coming back than I'm not happy.

Happy New Year all.

Thanks RasTa. This post reminded me to encourage you all to take some of your runs off-road this year. Get off the concrete paths and on to the grass/trail/dirt tracks whatever you can find. Safety comes first obviously so take sensible precautions before heading off into the wilderness (or the local park ;)). You can expect your pace to be a little slower than on the path for the same effort and that's fine. Benefits of off-road running include increased strength, less stress on the joints, no traffic, spectacular scenery .... What's not to love !?!

Great running C.. won't be thinking of a sub 20M 5k anytime soon; think I will need to shift another stone to get there..:) Did 22:07 earlier in week so think if I go out actually targeting a time then I can get in below 21 mins but need the right course to do it.. My normal Marley Parkrun wouldn't be suitable as the steep climb at start takes it out of you.

Tymon Park isn't completely flat but it's fast enough and quite close. Shanganagh is meant to be very flat, haven't run it myself but believe it could be a PB course. If you venture to DNS, Malahide is fast and tends to be sheltered from the worst of the weather, just be aware that the GPS doesn't work in the forest so you can't rely on the watch to pace you.

The MSB St.Patrick's festival 5K in March is another fast race. And the Docklands 5K during the summer.

Poppintree and Hartstown are fast parkruns on DNS. As is Father Collins, apparently. Porterstown is the fastest in Ireland, North or South :D Although to be fair, that was down to Paul Martelletti visiting the day before he won the Irish Wings For Life (and 6th in the world IIRC). For you or I, it's not particularly fast, with a couple of deceptive hills on each of the three laps.

You can strike off my local parkrun (Waterstown) if you are after a quick one.....lovely setting down by the Liffey but there is a decent up hill finish!

Hopefully this year I will make a few of them as was very lax on them last year!

Thanks All for the posts.. hadn't researched much but this is great info! Shanganagh is probably most suitable and as far as away from DNS as possible... :pBG

Right now I want to get a good solid weeks running in as even though its only 5 days since my last run, it feels like and eternity!

Thanks All for the posts.. hadn't researched much but this is great info! Shanganagh is probably most suitable and as far as away from DNS as possible... :pBG

Right now I want to get a good solid weeks running in as even though its only 5 days since my last run, it feels like and eternity!

I notice BG didn't mention St Annes H , she must be trying to keep that little gem a secret from you, That whole area is lovely for running much better than anything the other side of the bay but I'm afraid you'll need an invite to go :P

Fast course , there is a hill but it's nothing compared to the hills on the southside, I'm still recovering from altitude sickness after my trip to cabinteely. :D

The Muppet wrote: »
    I notice BG didn't mention St Annes H , she must be trying to keep that little gem a secret from you, That whole area is lovely for running much better than anything the other side of the bay but I'm afraid you'll need an invite to go :P

Fast course , there is a hill but it's nothing compared to the hills on the southside, I'm still recovering from altitude sickness after my trip to cabinteely. :D

Thanks T, had thought of St Anne's before but never looked into it. Funny enough we had kids out in Cabinteely yesterday for a walk and I did make the mental note not to think about trying for any PB's out there.. its not hard to miss the 2 x differing elevation levels in the the park:eek:

Picked up some XC Spikes this morning and committed to running in the Dublin Masters on Sunday.....what have I let myself in for; should be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Picked up some XC Spikes this morning and committed to running in the Dublin Masters on Sunday.....what have I let myself in for; should be good!

Good luck C, looking forward to the report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

:D:D When are you coming back!

H Father Collins on the NS is also very flat & fast, Hartstown which is my local one is also very fast (and has less twists than FC) but Shanganagh is definitely your best south side option. St Anne's is lovely but not as fast as it used to be before they changed the course.

I expect to see you in Cabo soon though H, if you do your training there you'll glide to a PB on a flat course. :cool::cool:

Careful now, or you won't ever get an invitation :p

Exactly. Until then, we'll keep it to ourselves. Shhhhh!

Best of luck. See you there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Tonight's run brought to you by Chill Your Bones Dot Com

10% off your first order.

Discount code: LISTEN2BGRDIE

I expect to see you in Cabo soon though H, if you do your training there you'll glide to a PB on a flat course. :cool::cool:

Was there with kids yesterday and did some recon.. Eh, far too hilly.. that said I only saw the start and they were tearing off down that hill past the playground. Not that I am averse to hills but if I am out to try get a time then I think Shanganagh would be worth a look.

I do pass Cabinteely Park regularly on my Sat run; usually come down Brennanstown Road and then up thru Cornelscourt, onto N11 and then down Newtownpark Av and either home via Blackrock > Stillorgan or head on further towards town.. but depends on what distance I have planned.

I need to get a better look at the Base Plan now and see where all fits in.

Had kids up to 3 Rock Fairy Castle today too.. wasn't letting them off lightly before I got back to work and besides it was walking I needed whilst I get back running after tummy bug.. I would really like to do some trail runs up that way so that is on agenda too in coming weeks.

Ah the memories of schools cross country back in the 80's.. Probably last time I did any meaningful running before last 18 months!.. that's no joke :eek:

Best of Luck C! Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Folks, if anyone is interested in recording their greatness for 2016 there's a thread here. Stick in your PB's from last year and you'll have somewhere handy to compare them to this years ones ;)

Hows everyone recovering from christmas?

I have to admit I've not been running very much lately but the intention to get back to it is there.

I plan to start the graduates plan this week before I get any further out of condition .

How are those of you who didn't take the lazy approach and are midway through the base building part of the plan finding it?

:D:D When are you coming back!

MMMMM Soon.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think it's a great plan Tom. The focus on time over distance, I have found, makes it easier to schedule your runs and stick to the prescribed paces. There's no temptation to go a little faster to get the run done sooner if you something to do after, for example. It builds up to decent mileage and there's some faster stuff in there too. It's been just the medicine to get me out of the post marathon slump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Hows everyone recovering from christmas?

I have to admit I've not been running very much lately but the intention to get back to it is there.

I plan to start the graduates plan this week before I get any further out of condition .

How are those of you who didn't take the lazy approach and are midway through the base building part of the plan finding it?

I've kept up the running over the holidays. I actually enjoyed the Christmas Eve and New Years Day runs more than I thought. Maybe the smug factor played a part there :)
    Currently 3 weeks into the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 marathon plan for London. I flirted with the Grad plan, but felt that HH suits me better with the Saturday pace runs followed by the Sunday LSR.
    Signed up for the Raheny 5m on 29th Jan. Looking forward to that as I don't yet have an official sub-40 5 mile.

Must say, I'm missing the interaction of the novices thread. That joint goal really did keep us all focused.

• Advertisement

I think it's a great plan Tom. The focus on time over distance, I have found, makes it easier to schedule your runs and stick to the prescribed paces. There's no temptation to go a little faster to get the run done sooner if you something to do after, for example. It builds up to decent mileage and there's some faster stuff in there too. It's been just the medicine to get me out of the post marathon slump.

Brilliant L, I really need to get my ass in gear so. Easy running sounds good at the moment.

Agree about the running to time, I've done that previously and I always found it enjoyable for the reasons you outline. Cheers

Advertisement