Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Once again thanks to Nop and Co for helping get us all to DCM, TM for setting up this thread, and BG for saying she'll take us on post DCM. I am really hoping that some of your running magic rubs off on us BG! :D

To answer the questions:

A : What are your next goals?
    In the very short term my plans are to keep running for fun. It has worked the past two weeks so happy with that. Then race Jingle Bells, aiming for a PB obviously and use that to look at setting some targets for 2017. I also would like to run a streak of continuous running days from 28 Nov - 28 Dec.

During 2017 I want to knock some time off all of the following: 1mile; 5k; 5mile; 10k; and 10 mile - I'll think about HM but we'll see. I'd also like to hit 1000 miles (this year I'll be hitting 1000 km)

B: What type of training to you intends to do over the winter?
    I am not sure about this. Rest of November is reverse taper and Jingle Bells. After that I'll start the grad plan I guess. I am away from 28 Dec until 25 January, moving location every few days and while my runners will definitely be packed, I'm not going to worry about any kind of structure while away. Once I am back, I guess I will start the grad plan and stick with it, and target some races.

Thinking about the thread that Myles Splits started over in the main forum I know I need to work on power/strength as well as flexibility and posture. For me these are all linked and where my biggest weaknesses lie.

C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?
    I have no concrete visions on this one. Want to be running for sure, injury free and enjoying it. Next year is likely to be a bit messy as I'll be doing the bulk of my field work research and moving a lot so really it depends on where I will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Right lads, who's doing the half marathon next Saturday? I thought I had a stress fracture, but after taking off work a few days it feels grand. I'm resting it all next week as well so if all is well next Saturday I'll be good to go! Thank ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Thanks for taking this on BG:)

a : What are your next goals?

Reduce my 5k, 10k and half marathon times. I've signed up for Jingle bells 5k so I'll give that a decent attempt, although after all my slow running during marathon training, I'm very unconvinced that I'll get a 5k PB.
    I haven't raced any 10k or half marathons in a while though so I think it shouldn't be too difficult to get a few shiny new PBs in the new year.
    Also been meaning to set up a log so I will hopefully eventually get around to that.

b: What type of training to you intends to do over the winter?

The next two weeks are pretty much a write off for me, running-wise, due to another hobby taking up most of my spare time. I'll be lucky to get in 1 or 2 short runs a week. But after that I'd like to follow the graduate plan. I'm half thinking of doing the Connemara half marathon in April so I'll see how the plan fits in with training for that.

c: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?

I'm not sure really. My main goal is to be faster. I always said DCM 2016 would be my one and only marathon but I think we have unfinished business. I'm not completely ruling out doing DCM 2017 but I won't decide that for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

@Fbjm....Not me. It doesn't feel like a good idea three weeks after a marathon, especially as I'm still nursing my own injury. As a result, I've run less than 15 miles since DCM. You have the option to switch to the 5 mile if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Fbjm wrote: »
    Right lads, who's doing the half marathon next Saturday? I thought I had a stress fracture, but after taking off work a few days it feels grand. I'm resting it all next week as well so if all is well next Saturday I'll be good to go! Thank ****.

Fbjm.. only way to tell for sure is an MRI unfortunately. I had stress fracture last winter (Only confirmed after 3-4 months of healing) and I often felt after a rest that it was not there.. hence why I messed it up so bad at the start.

Don't want to sound negative.. and really hoping its not a stress fracture.. but if you have any doubt then go for an MRI. Most health cover plans cover it once doctor has referral letter. One thing to note is that for whatever reason they don't cover MRI of the foot but do cover anywhere up from there.

HTH! Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Fbjm.. only way to tell for sure is an MRI unfortunately. I had stress fracture last winter (Only confirmed after 3-4 months of healing) and I often felt after a rest that it was not there.. hence why I messed it up so bad at the start.

You can often see evidence of a stress fracture on an X-ray after 4-5 weeks have passed, as at that stage the periosteal reaction (from healing) will have started. But not guaranteed to show even after those weeks and as Paddy says the MRI is the only definite test.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

Here I am eventually ;o) Thanks for nop and Firedance et all, Thanks to BG for setting this up AND Thanks to everyone for all contributions, support, help,...

Well, as I really enjoyed the DCM and I recovered so well, I had a couple of talks with some experienced runners/coaches... I can do San Sebastian under 5h... and a friend is coming with me to drag me through the Finish line. So I know it is crazy, but as they said I don't race, just run... I could keep the fitness up and do it in 2 weeks. So I am tapering again!
    After that serious rest... back to club to do the sessions but I would like to start doing parkruns and gain a bit of speed.
    I will help again on the C25k in the club.
    When is the Jungle bells?
    EVENTUALLY I lost a little bit of weight and I hope it continues.
    b: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    Club training and I might do a more personalised training with a colleague of mine. Hill training worked for me last year... not the coach though ;o)
    I would like as well to get rid of fear of cycling.
    We are planning to do Stirling Marathon in May.
    c: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? DCM again. I really enjoyed it but to perfect it I dont want to feel lonely towards the end again. So I want to enjoy beginning to end!
    Those are all my plans! Lots but I know they are all achievable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

Will ease myself back into things over next few weeks and will do a few Park Runs during December. Been stuck just above 24 mins for last few years so will see if I can dip under it. Might try and do Raheny at end of Jan and maybe a half by end of March.

Prior to DCM training I was running 4 times a week (3 mid-week and longer one at weekend) so will continue that. Will try and introduce some speedwork to encourage me to move quicker than the marathon LSR pace. Will look at strength and conditioning and maybe start pilates again in the new year.

Not sure if DCM 2017 will be on the cards as it's a commitment of time at home (will definitely do another one though). Will hopefully do FD10 and some HMs over the summer as really like the longer distances so maybe pick up a PB in any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great to see so many of you venturing back out and getting some post-marathon runs in. Hope you’re all wearing your hard-earned tops (the medals might be a step too far though)!

Don’t worry about plans or structure at this point. Listen to your body (you’re going to hear that a lot. A LOT !!) and don’t worry about pace. Try to stay off concrete where possible. Grass, trail or even tarmac are easier on the body.

Anyone who is injured, don’t panic first and foremost. You’ve put your body through a lot of stress over the last few months and that can highlight weaknesses and imbalances that then manifest as injuries. Find a good physiotherapist or physical therapist and seek their advice. Regular maintenance if budget allows is a great way of staying ahead of the game when it comes to injuries. A strength and conditioning routine is a must too, especially for those of us of a certain vintage :o. I’ll post more on this topic shortly.

Keep the answers to TM’s questions coming please. Good to see so many of you thinking ahead and planning for 2017 already. For those of you undecided, we will have some plans specially designed for the Graduates by Myles Splitz and I’ll be posting those directly after Jingle Bells. Remember….

c13aa90f9ce4197f18883fbfdb2242aa.jpg

Thanks for taking us on Bg! Looking forward to the next part of the journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Don't want to sound negative.. and really hoping its not a stress fracture.. but if you have any doubt then go for an MRI. Most health cover plans cover it once doctor has referral letter. One thing to note is that for whatever reason they don't cover MRI of the foot but do cover anywhere up from there.

HTH! Best of Luck.

Thanks man, I looked into that but MRIs cost a couple hundred euro, I got an x-ray and nothing showed up. Still though, looking into it a bit more I'm starting to think maybe running a half marathon on it would be idiotic.

Thanks man, I looked into that but MRIs cost a couple hundred euro, I got an x-ray and nothing showed up. Still though, looking into it a bit more I'm starting to think maybe running a half marathon on it would be idiotic.

I remember with mine it was a very specific pain in one area - it felt like a bruise on the bone. Didn't hurt either side of it when pressing but when I ran on it I knew there was a problem! X-ray showed up nothing on me either unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

kabuxa wrote: »
    When is the Jungle bells?

Saturday, Dec 3rd at 11am, at the Phoenix Park.

Entry is €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Thanks! You beat me to it TBO. Recommending this (or your local parkrun if you can't make JB) to all graduates. You will more than likely surprise yourselves even without having done much (or anything!) in the way of speedwork. So if, AND ONLY IF, you are niggle/injury free, give this some welly and we will use the result going forward to guide training paces etc.

Thanks a lot TBO and BG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Supposed to get a bit colder later in the week. Safrongirl asked about a winter jacket and robinwing linked to one. I've a fairly think Nike yolk that's more for rain than the cold. Have another soft shell jacket, but it's a bit bulky and stuffy for running. No need to be going out getting extra gear. :pac:

• Advertisement

Supposed to get a bit colder later in the week. Safrongirl asked about a winter jacket and robinwing

Question to all... that jacket looks a bit thick for me... I prefer lighter things... do you wear under armour (or whatever the name is?) and lighter jacket or thick-ish jacket? Just curiosity... Thanks

In no particular order, just to address some recent questions and posts. Going forward it will not be my m.o. to offer unsolicited advice, but rather to give general information and guidance on topics as they come up so you can make informed decisions about your training. You’re graduates now, all qualified and independent, making Nop proud!

There is rarely just one answer to any running question and a one-size-fits-all approach rarely works, BUT there are certain things across the board that just don’t make sense and I will call out anything that I believe could potentially have a negative outcome whether that is overtraining, running while injured, running easy runs too fast etc. etc. You could probably write the list yourselves! So don’t say I didn’t warn yis
    c12f4eff4a402cc5bf5ad4cf11cbe372.jpg
    Well, as I really enjoyed the DCM and I recovered so well, I had a couple of talks with some experienced runners/coaches... I can do San Sebastian under 5h... and a friend is coming with me to drag me through the Finish line. So I know it is crazy, but as they said I don't race, just run... I could keep the fitness up and do it in 2 weeks. So I am tapering again!

Back to Back Marathons
    Yup, it's bags of crazy! I can’t say I agree with the idea of doing marathons in quick succession, especially for recent graduates. I suspect your heart is set on it and you're not about to change your mind ? You've admitted it's crazy, so just be aware of how you are feeling throughout the race and don't be afraid to pull up if something isn't right.

Racing when injured
    Yup, it would! Never a good idea. Running will not improve the injury and will delay your recovery. Seeking professional advice and following it is the surest and shortest route to recovery. I have full sympathy for every injured runner (been there, bought the t-shirt and the shares in my physio's practice :rolleyes:) but sense must prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Question to all... that jacket looks a bit thick for me... I prefer lighter things... do you wear under armour (or whatever the name is?) and lighter jacket or thick-ish jacket? Just curiosity... Thanks

That jacket is certainly not a running jacket and way too heavy (unless you're out for a walk). We are blessed here in Ireland with a temperate climate. If you think the winters are cold, have a look at the map and note we are on a latitude with Newfoundland. :p

Winter for me means shorts, long sleeved top, maybe a light running jacket but only if windy or wet. Bought some leggings/tights once but they I'll be donating them to uvox as soon as he sends me his address. I have a base layer but never wear it - it's too warm. But each to their own. Experiment.

Murph_D wrote: »
    That jacket is certainly not a running jacket and way too heavy (unless you're out for a walk). We are blessed here in Ireland with a temperate climate. If you think the winters are cold, have a look at the map and note we are on a latitude with Newfoundland. :p

Winter for me means shorts, long sleeved top, maybe a light running jacket but only if windy or wet. Bought some leggings/tights once but they I'll be donating them to uvox as soon as he sends me his address. I have a base layer but never wear it - it's too warm. But each to their own. Experiment.

Gloves and cozy ear muff are my essentials! Once my hands and ears are warm, the rest of me will be grand (in Ireland anyway). :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd be more inclined to wear a compression top under my running shirt than a jacket though I would also wear a light jacket on cold windy or wet days on easy runs . Same with leggings vs shorts .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I christened this one on Saturday night:
    http://www.northernrunner.com/clothing-c143/running-jackets-c290/inov8-at-c-windshell-full-zip-teal-pink-womens-p3530/

It's very light, so light I first thought I should send it back to the shop! Felt silly paying (nearly) that amount for something so insubstantial. But it was grand on Saturday in light rain and 10C and seems fine for a bit colder too.

I got it a bit cheaper than that with Sportshoes but they don't seem to have that one any more (2weeks later ...). They have some other possibly heavier (more expensive) options (stormshell, raceshell etc) including some from prior seasons which are discounted.

I can't be relied on as despite years of running it's my first proper "running jacket" and colour was a deciding factor ;).

Very rarely wear something more than tshirt... would have light rain jacket and if cold bandana and gloves. Base layer for some races If the temp is almost 0. I always get quite warm but I have see people with thickish jackets and I would think they are uncomfortable... Thats why I was wondering. Thank you!!

Bungy Girl wrote:
    Back to Back Marathons Yup, it's bags of crazy! I can’t say I agree with the idea of doing marathons in quick succession, especially for recent graduates. I suspect your heart is set on it and you're not about to change your mind ? You've admitted it's crazy, so just be aware of how you are feeling throughout the race and don't be afraid to pull up if something isn't right.

I know and I agree. I will be running with somebody who offered to come with me. I do not push myself as I know I wouldn't last. I will stop def if something is not right. I will have family and friends along the way so that will help.
    I had a long conversation before even thinking about it.... but only the fact that someone was coming to help me with it I took on the challenge. And yes crazy. Our training is very slow to allow to fully recover but as well get the legs going. That's all. Thanks for comment ! ;0)

Thanks! You beat me to it TBO. Recommending this (or your local parkrun if you can't make JB) to all graduates. You will more than likely surprise yourselves even without having done much (or anything!) in the way of speedwork. So if, AND ONLY IF, you are niggle/injury free, give this some welly and we will use the result going forward to guide training paces etc.
    Hi BG,

Firstly thanks so much for jumping in to mentor us. These threads are the gift that keep on giving. It really is fantastic support. I really appreciate it.

I won't be able to make Jingle Bells but will join my local Parkrun (shanganagh) on the 3rd.

What I am wondering is how to best plan to try and race a 5k on Dec 3rd? Should I try and introduce some speed work (tempo, intervals) at predicted 5K pace (?) on a mid-week run, what pace should my easy/lsr pace be i.e. should these be a bit quicker than the marathon equivalent? Prior to DCM I usually ran 3 easy runs (~4m) during the week and a slightly longer run on Sat (7-10m) so thought I'd keep to 4 runs per week. Any thoughts would be greatly received and appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd say I could run at the north pole in just shorts and a t-shirt, once I got going. The problem is those first 10 minutes! :pac:

Huge clouds at exit 13 on the M50 this morning.

I laugh any time I see a reference to 'speed work', makes me think we're going to become ninjas.

I laugh any time I see a reference to 'speed work', makes me think we're going to become ninjas.

You mean we're not?? :(

Made rookie mistake of going out running last night with too many layers.. had been down to Kildare Outlets with wife yesterday morning so had my new beanie to try out. I wasn't long taking it off and into the pocket.. of my DCM 2017 rain coat, which then went around my waste.. ob my overly warm tights!

I got home, showered and out to a meeting.. it was showing 17c on the car thermo!

If its cold I like to feel snug and I also feel it makes me run free when in a race and don't have any layers.. also helps to sweat off more pounds.. :P

. also helps to sweat off more pounds.. :P

I'm with you there H, with the reduced milage I'm finding it difficult keeping those extra few pounds in check so every little bit helps.

I won't be able to make Jingle Bells but will join my local Parkrun (shanganagh) on the 3rd.

What I am wondering is how to best plan to try and race a 5k on Dec 3rd? Should I try and introduce some speed work (tempo, intervals) at predicted 5K pace (?) on a mid-week run, what pace should my easy/lsr pace be i.e. should these be a bit quicker than the marathon equivalent? Prior to DCM I usually ran 3 easy runs (~4m) during the week and a slightly longer run on Sat (7-10m) so thought I'd keep to 4 runs per week. Any thoughts would be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks budhistmonk for the timely question. Here’s my suggestions for anyone planning to do the 5K (and I think a lot of you are, which is great). Remember, you are still in recovery mode. Ideally you should be doing easy running exclusively for another 10 days or so. By easy I mean genuinely easy i.e. you’re not out of breath, you could hold a conversation, sing a song, whatever. EASY. EEEZEE. Try and ditch the watch (or at the very least ignore it and drool over your stats later – this is called a naked run :eek:. More on this anon. I may invite a very special guest speaker to talk to you about naked running :D).

That brings us up to 1 week to go before the 5K. Time to figure out what your goal/likely pace is going to be so you don’t go off like a lunatic. The various calculators will throw up times based on your marathon but the correlation between 5K and marathon times is tenuous to say the least, particularly with less experienced runners. So most of you will have a 5K/parkrun time from 2016, maybe even a PB. If you feel at this point that you are in good shape and are fully recovered I suggest you use that time to set your current 5K training pace (In your case @budhistmonk you'd be looking at around 4:50 min/km, yes?). So, the week before the race you should be back running your full complement of days whether that is 3,4,5 or 6. Structure this final week (Sat-Fri) as usual with a long run (reduce this by 20% or so if you wish), and shorter easy runs, but you may wish to throw in a session on the Monday or Tuesday such as 1-2 miles w/up, 2 x 400m (or 2 x 2 mins) @5k pace (not faster), 3 mins jog recovery in between, then 1-2 miles c/d. I’d also suggest including strides to your last run before the 5K whether that’s on the Thursday or Friday. Make sense ? Shout if not. If I’m making assumptions anywhere let me know. Pay special attention to your stretching pre-race week. We’ll talk about the race itself and how to pace it in due course.

The idea of the 5K at this point is to see where you’re at post marathon. It’s not a goal race as such, plenty of time for that later on. So, who’s bringing the flapjacks ???

• Advertisement

. also helps to sweat off more pounds.. :P
    The Muppet wrote: »
    I'm with you there H, with the reduced milage I'm finding it difficult keeping those extra few pounds in check so every little bit helps.

:pac::pac::pac: Lads, I hate to break it to you but the vast majority of weight lost through sweating is water-weight and the effect is only temporary and not sustainable. If you find the weight creeping up a little post-marathon don't worry about it too much, it'll sort itself out when you're back in a regular training routine. In the meantime keeping the hands out of the cookie jar will have a better outcome than wearing too many layers :D

spaceylou wrote: »
    You mean we're not?? :(

Of course you are!

qp-ztap_LoJWbdqsu_d5QAQ5bni4yn_ny6slD65sjRdl2_5H2IwNeBibQ5RSnkXRQc4=w300

Thanks budhistmonk for the timely question. Here’s my suggestions for anyone planning to do the 5K (and I think a lot of you are, which is great). Remember, you are still in recovery mode. Ideally you should be doing easy running exclusively for another 10 days or so. By easy I mean genuinely easy i.e. you’re not out of breath, you could hold a conversation, sing a song, whatever. EASY. EEEZEE. Try and ditch the watch (or at the very least ignore it and drool over your stats later – this is called a naked run :eek:. More on this anon. I may invite a very special guest speaker to talk to you about naked running :D).

That brings us up to 1 week to go before the 5K. Time to figure out what your goal/likely pace is going to be so you don’t go off like a lunatic. The various calculators will throw up times based on your marathon but the correlation between 5K and marathon times is tenuous to say the least, particularly with less experienced runners. So most of you will have a 5K/parkrun time from 2016, maybe even a PB. If you feel at this point that you are in good shape and are fully recovered I suggest you use that time to set your current 5K training pace (In your case @budhistmonk you'd be looking at around 4:50 min/km, yes?). So, the week before the race you should be back running your full complement of days whether that is 3,4,5 or 6. Structure this final week (Sat-Fri) as usual with a long run (reduce this by 20% or so if you wish), and shorter easy runs, but you may wish to throw in a session on the Monday or Tuesday such as 1-2 miles w/up, 2 x 400m (or 2 x 2 mins) @5k pace (not faster), 3 mins jog recovery in between, then 1-2 miles c/d. I’d also suggest including strides to your last run before the 5K whether that’s on the Thursday or Friday. Make sense ? Shout if not. If I’m making assumptions anywhere let me know. Pay special attention to your stretching pre-race week. We’ll talk about the race itself and how to pace it in due course.

The idea of the 5K at this point is to see where you’re at post marathon. It’s not a goal race as such, plenty of time for that later on. So, who’s bringing the flapjacks ???

Thanks BG this is perfect. Yep I think 4.50 mins/km is my ~5k pace. I'm a miles man so I think that's somewhere around 7.45 mins/m. So it's really easy until the week before and then a possible interval session as you suggested on the Monday (I usually run mon, wed, thur and sat) and then throw in a few strides at end of thurs easy run. For the "easy" runs the week before should they be at the usual marathon easy pace (i.e. the pace we're running at now) or will that change since we're training for a shorter distance? Apologies if these are extremely basic questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Safrongirl

Hillside - I like the look of that jacket - its not that I am cold - bought some nice base layers the other day but after getting soaked last week and taking almost a day to warm back up again its really a light waterproof I am after .

So did a bit on the threadmill last night - did 5km and just to break it up did 2 minutes fast and then 3 minutes at my normal speed - still took be 32minutes to do a 5km which honestly isnt much quicker than my normal time for a 5km - I think I am destined for long slow runs and speed is just not my thing.

I am still doing all my exercises everyday but have pushed the foam roller under the bed - must bring it back out again soon.

Found my next goal - Bohermeen half on 12th March - will take it easy till after Christmas though

Not sure what training regimen the Moon is on, but it looked particularly impressive tonight.

Thanks BG this is perfect. Yep I think 4.50 mins/km is my ~5k pace. I'm a miles man so I think that's somewhere around 7.45 mins/m. So it's really easy until the week before and then a possible interval session as you suggested on the Monday (I usually run mon, wed, thur and sat) and then throw in a few strides at end of thurs easy run. For the "easy" runs the week before should they be at the usual marathon easy pace (i.e. the pace we're running at now) or will that change since we're training for a shorter distance? Apologies if these are extremely basic questions.

I'm a miles fan myself :D. Usually only switch to Km for a 5 or 10K race. No such thing as a basic question on this thread so don't be afraid to ask.

To answer your question continue to run your easy runs at the same effort as you are doing now - that doesn't change because you're training for a shorter distance. But don't be surprised if your Garmin data shows your easy pace getting gradually faster over time.

Try to think less about pace and more about effort. The reason being, as you get fitter aerobically, your easy pace becomes faster for the same effort. (All other things being equal. External and internal factors can have an impact too). If you continue to think of 'easy' as a particular pace and stick rigidly to that pace then you're not claiming the full benefit of your increased ability to cover more miles than before at an easy effort.

Take Home Message: Don't be a slave to your Garmins! Let them guide but not dictate your training.

:pac::pac::pac: Lads, I hate to break it to you but the vast majority of weight lost through sweating is water-weight and the effect is only temporary and not sustainable. If you find the weight creeping up a little post-marathon don't worry about it too much, it'll sort itself out when you're back in a regular training routine. In the meantime keeping the hands out of the cookie jar will have a better outcome than wearing too many layers :D

It's not the cookies with me . I just need to eat less for now until I get back to some proper milage . It's good actually I made some changes to my diet over the last few weeks and am back to where I was marathon week . Just hoping they are sustainable and the progress continues . It's an area I need to improve anyway.

I'm a miles fan myself :D. Usually only switch to Km for a 5 or 10K race. No such thing as a basic question on this thread so don't be afraid to ask.

To answer your question continue to run your easy runs at the same effort as you are doing now - that doesn't change because you're training for a shorter distance. But don't be surprised if your Garmin data shows your easy pace getting gradually faster over time.

Try to think less about pace and more about effort. The reason being, as you get fitter aerobically, your easy pace becomes faster for the same effort. (All other things being equal. External and internal factors can have an impact too). If you continue to think of 'easy' as a particular pace and stick rigidly to that pace then you're not claiming the full benefit of your increased ability to cover more miles than before at an easy effort.

Take Home Message: Don't be a slave to your Garmins! Let them guide but not dictate your training.
    Thanks so much again BG. Makes perfect sense

I'm gone for one day and we are all becoming naking running ninjas!! Which I think I like actually!?!? There's TBOs tee shirt for next year!

Would love to do Jingle bells- not actually raced a 5k before. I always find I'm only getting into it at that stage. Must check if I can.

• Advertisement

That totally makes sense. Have been doing easy 3 miles this week and pace has increased but I didn't even notice. Really trying to run by feel now, which can be easier said than done!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

Thanks for setting this up, finding I need something to keep my motivation/interest up so this is great.

I'm not sure yet, I definitely want to keep running as my 'thing' but I'm not sure and what level to aim for. Found the marathon day itself was one of the best things I ever did but while I enjoyed all the training/schedule/forum following - it was a big time commitment. So I guess making sure I find some way of keeping running at the forefront is my goal- if that can be described as a goal:confused:

As above I guess - instill a routine, find something to sign up for - reindeer run in Fota coming up. I'm terribly one paced so get some tips here on speed work. Also found I overdid it on the carb loading before the marathon and I've eating crap like a madman since the day itself so getting back into good habits vital for me.

Reestablish a good running routine getting a good long run in each week over next 2 months then make a decision - thinking of joining a club:eek:
    Love the idea of finishing a martahon again and having a much better base to have an even better experience than DCM16 - DCM17 here I come:eek::D;)

I had the opportunity to include the route on my run today, so while it's still fresh in my head I thought I'd share it

0-1K
    The race starts on Acres Road which is in the middle of an open area, often occupied by the Park’s main residents: deer. This first section can be windy as it’s very exposed. So take advantage of the crowds here and tuck in behind a group to benefit from the drafting effect.
    1-2K
    Passing by the American Ambassador’s residence, the course turns left onto Chesterfield Avenue. This is ever so slightly uphill but not that you’d really notice. It’s a poker straight road for over a Km, reaching the 2Km mark about 200m from the junction with Ordnance Survey Road.
    2-3K
    Another left turn onto Ordnance Survey road and it’s a flat stretch through what is probably the prettiest section of the route. You’ll pass the OSI building on your right and the route starts to veer slightly left.
    3-4K
    At the end of the Ordnance Survey road the course goes left on to the Upper Glen Road. This section is a bit twistier than the others so be aware of the racing line as the road curves first one way then the next.
    4-5K
    This is where you can really let loose as it’s downhill all the way from here. At St.Mary’s Hospital you take a sharp left turn off the main road and from here it’s about 100m along a pedestrian path to the finish.

It's a fast course, net downhill (the start is about 800m from the finish) with a great atmosphere. Hope to see some of you there!

I had the opportunity to include the route on my run today, so while it's still fresh in my head I thought I'd share it

0-1K
    The race starts on Acres Road which is in the middle of an open area, often occupied by the Park’s main residents: deer. This first section can be windy as it’s very exposed. So take advantage of the crowds here and tuck in behind a group to benefit from the drafting effect.
    1-2K
    Passing by the American Ambassador’s residence, the course turns left onto Chesterfield Avenue. This is ever so slightly uphill but not that you’d really notice. It’s a poker straight road for over a Km, reaching the 2Km mark about 200m from the junction with Ordnance Survey Road.
    2-3K
    Another left turn onto Ordnance Survey road and it’s a flat stretch through what is probably the prettiest section of the route. You’ll pass the OSI building on your right and the route starts to veer slightly left.
    3-4K
    At the end of the Ordnance Survey road the course goes left on to the Upper Glen Road. This section is a bit twistier than the others so be aware of the racing line as the road curves first one way then the next.
    4-5K
    This is where you can really let loose as it’s downhill all the way from here. At St.Mary’s Hospital you take a sharp left turn off the main road and from here it’s about 100m along a pedestrian path to the finish.

It's a fast course, net downhill (the start is about 800m from the finish) with a great atmosphere. Hope to see some of you there!

Thanks for the course overview. Good to have

Finally ate that lemon drizzle thing that was in the marathon bag. Sweeter than sweet, bleugh.

First post-work run since October. Head torch made its debut. Not sure about the right calf, will keep an eye.

Where did the lovely mild ideal running weather go? Sleet in North Dublin this morning, not a day for easy running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Planning to head out later. Will be nice if it's like now :)

Planning to head out later. Will be nice if it's like now :)

Do a mile for me, it's going to be late if I get out at all today. Haven't got time for this work lark, it's interfering with my running.

Finally ate that lemon drizzle thing that was in the marathon bag. Sweeter than sweet, bleugh.

First post-work run since October. Head torch made its debut. Not sure about the right calf, will keep an eye.

It was horrid - my dog even turned his nose up at it! How was the torch on action - haven't taken mine out yet

kin9pin wrote: »

Thanks for that. Did you look at the personalised asics plans based on time by any chance? I like the look of this one, might struggle with 5 days a week though. 4 is def doable but I know it's about getting miles in the tank too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

ToriV wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Did you look at the personalised asics plans based on time by any chance? I like the look of this one, might struggle with 5 days a week though. 4 is def doable but I know it's about getting miles in the tank too.

I thought the personal plans lacked mileage, peaking well under 40 miles pw. The sub-4 plan mileage gets up to 42 miles I think and I like the idea of still getting miles in the bank, but increasing my pace runs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement