Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

Thanks for setting this up, finding I need something to keep my motivation/interest up so this is great.

a : What are your next goals?
    I'm not sure yet, I definitely want to keep running as my 'thing' but I'm not sure and what level to aim for. Found the marathon day itself was one of the best things I ever did but while I enjoyed all the training/schedule/forum following - it was a big time commitment. So I guess making sure I find some way of keeping running at the forefront is my goal- if that can be described as a goal:confused:

b: What type of training to you intends to do over the winter?
    As above I guess - instill a routine, find something to sign up for - reindeer run in Fota coming up. I'm terribly one paced so get some tips here on speed work. Also found I overdid it on the carb loading before the marathon and I've eating crap like a madman since the day itself so getting back into good habits vital for me.

c: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?
    Reestablish a good running routine getting a good long run in each week over next 2 months then make a decision - thinking of joining a club:eek:
    Love the idea of finishing a martahon again and having a much better base to have an even better experience than DCM16 - DCM17 here I come:eek::D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I had the opportunity to include the route on my run today, so while it's still fresh in my head I thought I'd share it

0-1K
    The race starts on Acres Road which is in the middle of an open area, often occupied by the Park’s main residents: deer. This first section can be windy as it’s very exposed. So take advantage of the crowds here and tuck in behind a group to benefit from the drafting effect.
    1-2K
    Passing by the American Ambassador’s residence, the course turns left onto Chesterfield Avenue. This is ever so slightly uphill but not that you’d really notice. It’s a poker straight road for over a Km, reaching the 2Km mark about 200m from the junction with Ordnance Survey Road.
    2-3K
    Another left turn onto Ordnance Survey road and it’s a flat stretch through what is probably the prettiest section of the route. You’ll pass the OSI building on your right and the route starts to veer slightly left.
    3-4K
    At the end of the Ordnance Survey road the course goes left on to the Upper Glen Road. This section is a bit twistier than the others so be aware of the racing line as the road curves first one way then the next.
    4-5K
    This is where you can really let loose as it’s downhill all the way from here. At St.Mary’s Hospital you take a sharp left turn off the main road and from here it’s about 100m along a pedestrian path to the finish.

It's a fast course, net downhill (the start is about 800m from the finish) with a great atmosphere. Hope to see some of you there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I had the opportunity to include the route on my run today, so while it's still fresh in my head I thought I'd share it

0-1K
    The race starts on Acres Road which is in the middle of an open area, often occupied by the Park’s main residents: deer. This first section can be windy as it’s very exposed. So take advantage of the crowds here and tuck in behind a group to benefit from the drafting effect.
    1-2K
    Passing by the American Ambassador’s residence, the course turns left onto Chesterfield Avenue. This is ever so slightly uphill but not that you’d really notice. It’s a poker straight road for over a Km, reaching the 2Km mark about 200m from the junction with Ordnance Survey Road.
    2-3K
    Another left turn onto Ordnance Survey road and it’s a flat stretch through what is probably the prettiest section of the route. You’ll pass the OSI building on your right and the route starts to veer slightly left.
    3-4K
    At the end of the Ordnance Survey road the course goes left on to the Upper Glen Road. This section is a bit twistier than the others so be aware of the racing line as the road curves first one way then the next.
    4-5K
    This is where you can really let loose as it’s downhill all the way from here. At St.Mary’s Hospital you take a sharp left turn off the main road and from here it’s about 100m along a pedestrian path to the finish.

It's a fast course, net downhill (the start is about 800m from the finish) with a great atmosphere. Hope to see some of you there!

Thanks for the course overview. Good to have

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finally ate that lemon drizzle thing that was in the marathon bag. Sweeter than sweet, bleugh.

First post-work run since October. Head torch made its debut. Not sure about the right calf, will keep an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Where did the lovely mild ideal running weather go? Sleet in North Dublin this morning, not a day for easy running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Planning to head out later. Will be nice if it's like now :)

Planning to head out later. Will be nice if it's like now :)

Do a mile for me, it's going to be late if I get out at all today. Haven't got time for this work lark, it's interfering with my running.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Finally ate that lemon drizzle thing that was in the marathon bag. Sweeter than sweet, bleugh.

First post-work run since October. Head torch made its debut. Not sure about the right calf, will keep an eye.

It was horrid - my dog even turned his nose up at it! How was the torch on action - haven't taken mine out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

kin9pin wrote: »

Thanks for that. Did you look at the personalised asics plans based on time by any chance? I like the look of this one, might struggle with 5 days a week though. 4 is def doable but I know it's about getting miles in the tank too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

ToriV wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Did you look at the personalised asics plans based on time by any chance? I like the look of this one, might struggle with 5 days a week though. 4 is def doable but I know it's about getting miles in the tank too.

I thought the personal plans lacked mileage, peaking well under 40 miles pw. The sub-4 plan mileage gets up to 42 miles I think and I like the idea of still getting miles in the bank, but increasing my pace runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

ToriV wrote:
    It was horrid - my dog even turned his nose up at it! How was the torch on action - haven't taken mine out yet

Torch is good... if you put it correctly. A friend of mine and myself had it while running and I was wodering why mine was shinning as much. Half way I realised it was pointing up.
    Next morning a colleague in work asked me if I was running with the torch.. as one of us had it wrong and looked like a motorbike on the path.;0D. So it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Safrongirl

Mine doesnt work - changed the batteries and still not working - feeling very hard done by

Have lost my mojo - only did 5km this week - work / family / extension is taking over my running life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Torch was grand. Fairly chilly out there now tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithmc

Hey all...I went missing for a week and ya'll moved on!!! Thankfully I only had 7 pages to catch up on so I'm fully caught up and ready for the off!!! Firstly thanks to every one for the welcome. I'm delighted to be part of the graduates thread after my extremely late arrival to the Novices thread and looking forward to loads and loads of support and advice so apologies in advance if I behave like a complete novice and ask questions ye asked over the past 12 months. Very briefly...I only started running in January 2016 and literally all I did was run and build up the miles...no speed work, no core work or strengthening just run, run, running. I'm ashamed to admit I have a clue what most of the abbreviations ye use mean. I literally typed my details into the Asics marathon planner and ran when I was told to. Ya'll know my reason or running the marathon so I'll answer the question from Muppet.

A: What are your next goals?
    Plain and simple...To keep running. Somewhere in the midst of all the emotion behind my DCM I actually subconsciously began to like running. It was only ever meant to be "One time only" but I got bitten.

B: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    I actually only spoke to the hubby about this over the weekend. As I said above, I just ran so I'm gonna keep running with my group on a Tuesday & Thursday evening but I've also thought I need to join a gym and get a programme that will (A) find my core and (B) strengthen said core!!!! Any suggestions here feel free please. I plan to work fairly hard up to xmas and then enjoy myself for a few days and then back to hard work.

C: Where do you hope to see yourself in the next 12 months with your running?
    Limerick in April is on the cards with a few from my running club and then Waterford in June...probably only the half again or the full if I don't do Limerick. I wanna stay injury free so I'm hoping strength and core work will go a long way to helping me. And now that the hubby has been bitten and is throwing his eyes towards DCM 17 I may just join him for the trot around lol.
    I'm not focusing on times cos I'm hoping with strengthening I'll natural get quicker but more than anything I just wanna keep enjoying running.

Thanks to all involved in the Novices thread for their advice and feedback and I look forward to our future as graduates under the guidance of BG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

So lads, races! What d'yiz think? Personally I'm doing the HM in Clontarf Saturday. Had a niggle in my foot up to a week ago, so I'll be taking it easy. Still looking forward to it though :)

I'll be doing the HM in Wicklow 23rd of March, the HM in Wexford the 23rd of April, and the HM in Clontarf again 1st of July next year. I paid for the three of them in a bundle, the price was ridiculous so I snapped it up. Cannot wait :D

Full Marathons, I've paid for none of them yet but the ones I'm keeping a serious eye on are the Great Limerick Run on the 30th of April, the Longford Marathon on the 27th of August, and of course our near and dear true blue DCM next October!

I'm really excited with the direction I'm taking my running, these halves and fulls in individual counties in and around Leinster will give me a chance to see more of each county than I ever have before in a unique way. Really excited.

Also, haven't plugged it in about a year so may as well now, I write a running blog. Initially started it up for the DCM, but after that I figured I still love running so I'll keep the blog going. Here's a wee link: https://runintherainblog.wordpress.com/

6ab77e8125a29560a228e49df6346ca7.jpg

Ok, so I think most people have moved over at this stage. Welcome to the johnny-come-latelys and thanks for completing The Muppet's questions. I'm going to look at all your goals and write a post over the weekend with some general advice about how to go about achieving them and staying focused over the winter. If you haven't had the chance to complete the questions yet you might do so over the next couple of days. In the meantime....Happy Friday :cool:

6ab77e8125a29560a228e49df6346ca7.jpg

Toto's let himself go.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Well not much action from me this week one run on Tuesday then had a mental couple days in work.

Heading off to Berlin for the weekend so plan to get back into it next week; also organising with Donore Harriers to go down to their training session on Wednesday week.

For anyone doing Clontarf....good luck and look after yourself out there....looks like it is going to be as cold as last year.....enjoy the soup!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Feck all running done this week, have been super busy in work, coupled with some dodgy nights sleep and the weather being icky , basically cause I have a large lazy streak so taking advantage of my original plan to only run as and when I felt like it with slow easy kms for the three weeks following DCM. Back on the wagon from Monday :D

I say that every week Spaceylou - hopefully next week is our week ???

• Advertisement

faithmc wrote: »
    Hey all...I went missing for a week and ya'll moved on!!! Thankfully I only had 7 pages to catch up on so I'm fully caught up and ready for the off!!! Firstly thanks to every one for the welcome. I'm delighted to be part of the graduates thread after my extremely late arrival to the Novices thread and looking forward to loads and loads of support and advice so apologies in advance if I behave like a complete novice and ask questions ye asked over the past 12 months. Very briefly...I only started running in January 2016 and literally all I did was run and build up the miles...no speed work, no core work or strengthening just run, run, running. I'm ashamed to admit I have a clue what most of the abbreviations ye use mean. I literally typed my details into the Asics marathon planner and ran when I was told to. Ya'll know my reason or running the marathon so I'll answer the question from Muppet.

A: What are your next goals?
    Plain and simple...To keep running. Somewhere in the midst of all the emotion behind my DCM I actually subconsciously began to like running. It was only ever meant to be "One time only" but I got bitten.

B: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    I actually only spoke to the hubby about this over the weekend. As I said above, I just ran so I'm gonna keep running with my group on a Tuesday & Thursday evening but I've also thought I need to join a gym and get a programme that will (A) find my core and (B) strengthen said core!!!! Any suggestions here feel free please. I plan to work fairly hard up to xmas and then enjoy myself for a few days and then back to hard work.

C: Where do you hope to see yourself in the next 12 months with your running?
    Limerick in April is on the cards with a few from my running club and then Waterford in June...probably only the half again or the full if I don't do Limerick. I wanna stay injury free so I'm hoping strength and core work will go a long way to helping me. And now that the hubby has been bitten and is throwing his eyes towards DCM 17 I may just join him for the trot around lol.
    I'm not focusing on times cos I'm hoping with strengthening I'll natural get quicker but more than anything I just wanna keep enjoying running.

Thanks to all involved in the Novices thread for their advice and feedback and I look forward to our future as graduates under the guidance of BG

I am the exact same - no idea what strides are or anything like that - I just run - I have one pace and one pace only and thats what I do .
    I do a plank everyday for my core - I do it just before bed everyday its a habit now - its great for your core ( really tightens up the tummy too ) I also do a reverse bridge - again good for your core. I have a few other exercises I do every day that my physio gave me to strengthen my glutes

Safrongirl wrote: »
    I am the exact same - no idea what strides are or anything like that - I just run - I have one pace and one pace only and thats what I do .

I'll cover this over the weekend. If there's any other terminology anyone is not familiar with please shout and I will cover it (or find someone else who will :D)

You might think you have only one pace but I can assure you that is not the case if you're prepared to change up your routine and embrace some new training ideas. We'll address that over the coming weeks once you're all recovered and raring to go.

BTW, these posts, while they might quote a particular graduate, are meant for everyone. 'You' in general means you plural. It won't be possible to comment in detail on every individual's running but you can all learn from eachother's questions and observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithmc

I'll cover this over the weekend. If there's any other terminology anyone is not familiar with please shout and I will cover it (or find someone else who will :D)

You might think you have only one pace but I can assure you that is not the case if you're prepared to change up your routine and embrace some new training ideas. We'll address that over the coming weeks once you're all recovered and raring to go.

Bring it on BG. I'm looking forward to it. My biggest regret was not finding this group from the start of my marathon training thus missing huge advice and with running a home, job and 3 sons with a better social life than me it really would be too hard to start reading the thread from the start. For me it's abbreviations the guys use that I don't know. Oh...and basically what do do aside from run :pac::pac::pac:

Safron I must get going on planking...I'm pretty sure the gym dude will put it in a plan for me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Clontarf half marathon, scrap that plan. Felt a niggle in my injury when I'd already travelled to Clontarf, knew that if I ran I'd just exacerbate it all over again and I can't miss any more work. So left the start line twenty mins before I was due to run and returned home. Christ that was hard to do. Everyone who's told me I'd be mental to run with my bad foot, yiz were right, so cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

No worries. I didn't go either. Hope it gets better soon.

15k this week.

My first park run since March - first event since that little spin we did at the end of last month. Didn't bring the watch as I'm taking it handy and have no targets. Ran very gently. Not that cold at the announcements stage, quite a nip in the air once we got under way, in the shade. Really felt it in the hands. Lovely blast of sunshine after the first main turn, made quite a difference having the glow of the heat. Good buzz after finishing, happy to be out for PR again.

Went for some gym work, followed by seasonal shopping.

Well attempted 5km again this evening on threadmill - again attempted to speed things up a bit here and there but now I am just itching to get out for a nice longish run. I am of on Tuesday morning and kids at school so hopefully I will get outside for a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Shiny new thread! What did I miss? I'm just back from two weeks in Bali where I did no running and much drinking of bintang. It did take until last week for my right knee and foot to loosen out, but I'm all good to go now! With regards to the questions in the OP, my goal at the moment is to run Jingle Bells and reassess from there. Post-marathon determination and elation has brought all sorts of ideas and plans to the surface but nothing concrete yet. Looking forward to being inspired by everyone here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Brilliant thread already. You are in the bestest hands with Dorothy BG. I am so looking forward to your transformation into cross country runners :D Oops, was I not meant to say that yet?! ;)

Seriously, listen up and do what is suggested and you won't go wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

How's it going guys :D Congrats once again on the DCM :)

I've been a bit of a disgrace since then. I done a very slow 5k two weeks ago but in general, I've ate/drank far, far too much. I've definitely piled on a few pounds since - we'll call it a post marathon hangover!

But today was the day I finished with all of that. I went for a nice a slow 10k around some backroads this afternoon. I really enjoyed it, absolutely beautiful scenery and conditions. Feel like a new man already because of it! Gonna start training for Belfast in May, it gives me a plenty of time but I can ease my way back into things without too much pressure. If there's any small races in the locality, I'll look to take part but the mental pressure of the marathon is gone - it's doable and the next one will be about getting the time down.

For now until Christmas - I'll be out running to shed some weight, get the nutrition on point and mainly to keep the fitness up before I start a proper training plan in the New Year. Here's to running in general - god bless it!

Advertisement