Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should be OK to hang around after.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

ToriV wrote:
    Well done... that is fantastic. Amazing news....cant wait for the report!!

I will post it fot sure! Thanks!!!

And I agree, to me RunLogic are really good!

tailgunner wrote:
    Well done kabuxa, that's huge progress in just a few weeks!
    This morning's post didnt go through...
    I was saying Thanks abd now I am feeling what I should have felt after Dublin... very tired, really tight calves, hips,... ;0)))

Well done on PB.... PB is a PB no matter what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

The Muppet wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to Jingle Bells now, who else is doing it.

Are we going to try organise some form of meet up before or after?

Am also in - does anyone know if there is an obvious spot where we can gather / loiter after the race for a mini reunion? There won't be an airtricity tent or pub snug as we very handily had the last few outings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If the weather is anything like last year nobody will be doing any loitering! Here's hoping for conditions like this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

spaceylou wrote: »
    Am also in - does anyone know if there is an obvious spot where we can gather / loiter after the race for a mini reunion? There won't be an airtricity tent or pub snug as we very handily had the last few outings

Ryan's on Parkgate Street is a popular post race spot I believe. Nancy Hand's, a couple of doors away, is fairly spacious as well. Sorry I can't make the reunion....although I'll hopefully spot some of you beforehand or at the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

kabuxa wrote: »
    It was AMAZING!!! 4.48... 18 min PB... Felt so good. Got a PB at half marathon mark too. Thanks soooo much. This is dangerous! ;0D xxx

Well done on a great PB - its an amazing place, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Me too, me too! I am planning to join in the Jingle Bells fun! Can't do any loitering afterwards, but it would be great to say hi beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Sorry lads and ladies.. Won't be at the run this weekend. Had intended to do it with my daughter but she's been struck down with a bad tummy bug a few days now. I'm in trouble at home cause I allowed her play a full U10s Girls soccer match on Sunday and seems that didn't help her recovery.. Not like her to be off school either.

Best of Luck to all. Enjoy it.. ☺

• Advertisement

Well done on a great PB - its an amazing place, isn't it.

Thanks!!! and yours! Amazing place. Best in the world, and I am not biased at all ;o)))

To me it was brilliant! I hope for you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

kabuxa wrote: »
    It was AMAZING!!! 4.48... 18 min PB... Felt so good. Got a PB at half marathon mark too. Thanks soooo much. This is dangerous! ;0D xxx

Congratulations Kabuxa, brilliant to get a pb on the home turf :)

I am really looking forward to Jingle Bells now, who else is doing it.

Are we going to try organise some form of meet up before or after?

My number and my oh's number arrived in post today!! I don't think we'll be doing it though :( I'm still not fixed, although I can run a bit, I'm still getting niggling pain on and off...also my son has a match on Saturday morning which is a bummer as I would have gone up and jogged the 5k. Anyway if the match is rescheduled I will be there, if not I will have two entries going to waste :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

New venue for the Race Series 1/2 marathon next year I see....Newbridge House in Donabate....also the Irish Runner 5 mile is not part of the Race Series in 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Was really hoping to do Jingle Bells but unfortunately, real life has got in the way. I have to be in Limerick this Friday overnight, so I am going to try get in a park run on Sat instead. Good luck Sat all, really sorry I can't make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

New venue for the Race Series 1/2 marathon next year I see....Newbridge House in Donabate..

Oh strange, Is it all in the park? I wonder how they work out a a 13 mile route in there. I'd be surprised if they will be closing roads outside the park for use as there are only the two roads into Donabate Portrane, I cant see the locals being pleased if there are road closures. I really don't see Newbridge House working for the half.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Got my Jingle Bells letter/info too.

Ran past a few rowdy teenagers tonight, par for the course. Think January will be a time for new runners, when finances recover a bit.

It seems like a strange choice of venue to me; the route will not be released until January according to their Facebook post.

The traffic getting in and out will be horrendous and I am not sure what the parking situation will be like.....one to wait and see what happens I think.
    Oh strange, Is it all in the park? I wonder how they work out a a 13 mile route in there. I'd be surprised if they will be closing roads outside the park for use as there are only the two roads into Donabate Portrane, I cant see the locals being pleased if there are road closures. I really don't see Newbridge House working for the half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Got my Jingle Bells letter/info too.

Ran past a few rowdy teenagers tonight, par for the course. Think January will be a time for new runners, when finances recover a bit.

Got mine today, number 179, but I think they sent me the wrong one. If anyone sees Bill Griffin tell him I have his number :)

kin9pin wrote: »
    Got mine today, number 179, but I think they sent me the wrong one. If anyone sees Bill Griffin tell him I have his number :)

Funny that.....I have Bill's number too :D:D....and so has OH ;);)

If the weather is anything like last year nobody will be doing any loitering! Here's hoping for conditions like this morning.

Sure we're all hard as nails marathon runners this year , a bit of inclement weather won't bother us.

I'm number 96.

• Advertisement

Sure we're all hard as nails marathon runners this year , a bit of inclement weather won't bother us.

I'm number 96.

I'm number 98 and OH is 99....but doubt we'll be there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Looks like a good gang of graduates heading to the PP for Jingle Bells on Saturday :D. Those of you who can't make it for logistical reasons see if you can get to a parkrun instead. Those of you in recovery mode or injured, there will be plenty more 5Ks for when you're ready.

I consulted the Flying Monkeys whose advice for a 5K was "Go hard or go home" and "run like a madman" or something along those lines. I might err very slightly on the side of conservatism for the first mile, pick it up marginally to race pace on the 2nd, then let fly for the last 1.1 miles. But that's just me. You've all raced a 5K before (I think!!?) so you know yourself whether you get a better result by going out hard and hanging on or starting out slightly more cautiously and building up to a strong finish.

Weather forecast looks good (dry, cold, little wind) so should be conducive to a good time. Have a look at the course description a few pages back and study the map of the course you should have received with your number.

Make sure to arrive in time to get a good warm up done (jog, dynamic stretches, strides) and when it's all over try to remember to do a short jog once you've put your layers back on.

Not sure what my own plans are for afterwards but I may be persuaded to head to Ryan's for a lemonade :pac::pac::pac: . If so I may see some of you there.

Best of luck, give it your best shot, report back !

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Looks like a good gang of graduates heading to the PP for Jingle Bells on Saturday :D. Those of you who can't make it for logistical reasons see if you can get to a parkrun instead. Those of you in recovery mode or injured, there will be plenty more 5Ks for when you're ready.

I consulted the Flying Monkeys whose advice for a 5K was "Go hard or go home" and "run like a madman" or something along those lines. I might err very slightly on the side of conservatism for the first mile, pick it up marginally to race pace on the 2nd, then let fly for the last 1.1 miles. But that's just me. You've all raced a 5K before (I think!!?) so you know yourself whether you get a better result by going out hard and hanging on or starting out slightly more cautiously and building up to a strong finish.

Weather forecast looks good (dry, cold, little wind) so should be conducive to a good time. Have a look at the course description a few pages back and study the map of the course you should have received with your number.

Make sure to arrive in time to get a good warm up done (jog, dynamic stretches, strides) and when it's all over try to remember to do a short jog once you've put your layers back on.

Not sure what my own plans are for afterwards but I may be persuaded to head to Ryan's for a lemonade :pac::pac::pac: . If so I may see some of you there.

Best of luck, give it your best shot, report back !

Thank those flying Monkeys for the forecasted ideal running weather for our comeback, So much more organised this year.:D

Thank those flying Monkeys for the forecasted ideal running weather for our comeback, So much more organised this year.:D

Sure they're very well trained ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

New venue for the Race Series 1/2 marathon next year I see....Newbridge House in Donabate....also the Irish Runner 5 mile is not part of the Race Series in 2017

Not sorry to see the back of the park to be honest, but the new venue will be interesting in terms of parking, public transport access and I think some of the route is very narrow??

Some might remember I have 'mental scars' doing the Half in the Park. I 'passionately' disliked it  ;o))) Well, Connyngham road to be precise, so a change of venue is very welcome. Hopefully it works... I really don't know the area, only that there is a loooong beach, so I don't know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I was hoping to do Jingle Bells but my hips are still a little bit sore so another week or two of easy runs for me.
    Nothing at all to do with the Christmas party the night before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

kittyclaws wrote: »
    I was hoping to do Jingle Bells but my hips are still a little bit sore so another week or two of easy runs for me.
    Nothing at all to do with the Christmas party the night before :o

Haha we believe you!

To my first year students: Do your field work this week, high pressure is continuing to dominate so its cold but no rain - ideal! Do not procrastinate!

In my head: perfect weather for jingle bells...lalalala.....don't care when you do your fieldwork so long as you hand in your assignments....lalala :rolleyes:

So first trip down to a club done.....must say it was very enjoyable.

The session tonight was a 2 mile warm up then 10 sets of 600m repeats (2:20 for 600m) with a recovery of approx 80 seconds....the time flew and although it was tough it was nice to have folks around to get the session done.

Will be trying it out for December before committing in Jan.

Looking forward to Jingle Bells now.

• Advertisement

No. 517, in my shiny new MSB top (light green with blue trim).

#174 for me on Saturday...I will be in the tried and trusted grey Adidas t-shirt!

First of all best of luck to everyone racing JB or an alternative 5K on Saturday. Please post up here with your results and reports as soon as you can.

Myles Splitz’s renowned Graduate Plan will be revealed over the weekend and these training programmes will steer you in a structured way towards your next target.

I’m going to write a post shortly about Strength & Conditioning and its importance as an integral part of your training. If you’re interested in this topic, perhaps you might let me know what sort of s&c work you do, if any, at the moment and any questions you have.

If there’s anything else running-related you’d like to have more info about just ask.

S & C - anything else to focus on apart from abdominal work, lunges, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Myles Splitz’s renowned Graduate Plan will be revealed over the weekend and these training programmes will steer you in a structured way towards your next target.

It's a nice little plan, guys. I'd say marathoners will enjoy the bits of speed training after your summers of slow steady miles. I'm a few weeks into the plan (last year's version) and am enjoying it :).

First of all best of luck to everyone racing JB or an alternative 5K on Saturday. Please post up here with your results and reports as soon as you can.

I’m going to write a post shortly about Strength & Conditioning and its importance as an integral part of your training. If you’re interested in this topic, perhaps you might let me know what sort of s&c work you do, if any, at the moment and and questions you have.

If there’s anything else running-related you’d like to have more info about just ask.

I am sporadic with my S&C work to say the least. When I am being good, almost daily (aim is 5/7) I do some exercises that I was given by physio ages ago - mix of stretching, pilates poses, bridges etc. I also do calf raises and calf drops. Even when I am not being 'good', I'd do this 2 - 3 times a week unless I am having an exceptionally bad week.

I like pilates but haven't gone regularly in about a year since I moved gym and haven't found a class I like to replace the one in my old gym - suggestions in Maynooth; D6 or even Dublin city centre welcome :D

Every now and then I get notions of dedication and I try the JD 30 day challenge (think the furthest I've gotten is 8 days) or I do the mrytle routine or I do the resistance workout on operation transformation....definitely could do better and it is a goal for 2017 because I think the more I run, the more under-lying weaknesses are going to be highlighted and stop me progressing.

I’m going to write a post shortly about Strength & Conditioning and its importance as an integral part of your training. If you’re interested in this topic, perhaps you might let me know what sort of s&c work you do, if any, at the moment and and questions you have.

The only s and c I do is a pilates class once a week, I have great intentions of doing James Dunnes 30 day challenge, I have all the videos and instructions download on my computer but that's as far as I got so far. , TBH i was planning to do it in December so perhaps it will happen Monday.

Its out there now so.....

Jingle Bells is back on my agenda....son's match cancelled :) Will only be doing it as fast as my niggling knee permits!! If I can I will meet up afterwards...I see Ryans is mentioned...a pub? where is it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

After a hectic few weeks I've finally managed to get back to a proper running schedule this week. I'm signed up to jingle bells too, race number 142, but unfortunately it looks like I'll be in a rush so won't be able to hang around after the race.
    Also I think the chances of me getting a PB are very slim. Attempted one '5k race pace' mile during my run yesterday, I was dreadfully slow and very uncomfortable. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

FITZA wrote: »
    Jingle Bells is back on my agenda....son's match cancelled :) Will only be doing it as fast as my niggling knee permits!! If I can I will meet up afterwards...I see Ryans is mentioned...a pub? where is it? :D

It's Ryan's of Parkgate Street, details here

It's Ryan's of Parkgate Street, details here

Thank you Bungy Girl :) I will hopefully see some of you there. Best of luck to all doing it :)

I'll write a full post as soon as I can but in the meantime...
    S & C - anything else to focus on apart from abdominal work, lunges, etc?

Yes! Don't neglect the upper body! And single leg work can be very beneficial to runners too.
    spaceylou wrote: »
    I am sporadic with my S&C work to say the least. When I am being good, almost daily (aim is 5/7) I do some exercises that I was given by physio ages ago - mix of stretching, pilates poses, bridges etc. I also do calf raises and calf drops. Even when I am not being 'good', I'd do this 2 - 3 times a week unless I am having an exceptionally bad week.

I like pilates but haven't gone regularly in about a year since I moved gym and haven't found a class I like to replace the one in my old gym - suggestions in Maynooth; D6 or even Dublin city centre welcome :D

Every now and then I get notions of dedication and I try the JD 30 day challenge (think the furthest I've gotten is 8 days) or I do the mrytle routine or I do the resistance workout on operation transformation....definitely could do better and it is a goal for 2017 because I think the more I run, the more under-lying weaknesses are going to be highlighted and stop me progressing.

Consistency always better than sporadic :D.

You could try Pearse St Physio for Pilates Classes aimed at runners, I believe they're very good. My go-to place is in D3 so probably no good to you.

I'd suggest you schedule your S&C in the same way you do your runs (or any other appointment). It's usually the first thing to be dropped when life gets busy but the benefits are huge when done regularly.
    The only s and c I do is a pilates class once a week, I have great intentions of doing James Dunnes 30 day challenge, I have all the videos and instructions download on my computer but that's as far as I got so far. , TBH i was planning to do it in December so perhaps it will happen Monday.

Its out there now so.....

+1 to the Pilates. All runners should be doing it.

I must admit to never having done the JD challenge. I probably should before commenting on it :o. Lots of people on boards seem very positive about it.

The main thing with any S&C programme is to progress gradually, ensure that you are executing the moves with good technique and to ensure adequate rest between sessions.

More to follow.

I must admit to never having done the JD challenge. I probably should before commenting on it :o. Lots of people on boards seem very positive about it.

The main thing with any S&C programme is to progress gradually, ensure that you are executing the moves with good technique and to ensure adequate rest between sessions.

More to follow.

I did the first week 2 years ago now, I gave up because it was taking longer than the 15 minute a day routine it claimed to be and I was only running a few miles a week so didn't really appreciate the importanace of it :o.

That's changed so next time I start it I will finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

Hi all,

I've been awol since the marathon, but I have been back running for the last few weeks. I'm following the hal higdon advanced 5k training program, hoping for a 5k pb. But not tomorrow! I'm only just finished week one of the program.

I am doing jingle bells, so hope to see some of you there. I won't be able to head out for drinks afterwards though.

BungyGirl, I'll be very interested in what you have to say about strength and conditioning. It's not something I ever worried about much before marathon training, but I've definitely realised it's importance since. I'm doing the kinetic revolution 30 day program at the moment - I think someone recommended it here, or in another thread. I'd be interested in a few simple, quick excercises I could do a few times a week once I'm finished that. I know myself that I won't stick to anything that takes any longer than that. Also, I'm kind of prone to knee injuries, so anything that could help prevent that would be great!

The best of luck to all doing jingle bells today. Afraid I won't make Ryans 2 of my grand kids are coming to support me so it'll be to a mc ds I'll be heading after.

ENJOY

• Advertisement

Good luck today folks....hopefully some race reports later; it's been a while .....looks like a nice morning for it.

Maybe spot some of you around the start!

Done and dusted....just a couple of seconds over 20 mins nice PB anyway. Under 20 will need to wait until 2017!

Wubble just to let you know I was the randomer shaking your hand at the end....had you in my sights from the Ordinance Survey road; well done today!

Fair play kid, I knew it was you ;) haven't seen times yet, I just missed out! PB anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

That was tough. My legs and endurance definitely not in the same league as late October.

That said around 21 minutes so happy enough.

Well done everyone! It was not a nice day. From indoors!

• Advertisement
Advertisement