Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job, new salary date. Can i change the rent day?

• 11-11-2016 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    So my boyfriend just got a new job at the same company as me.
    We get paid every 1st friday of the month. This means that the days change every month and latest paid out on the 7th or 9th in the month. We have our rent due on the 30th each month and we were able to pay that with no problem before as my boyfriend had another job before where he got his salary every last friday of the month. Now we are in a little sticky situation since both will be paid the first friday of the month. I know my landlord pays of a mortgage with the money we pay in for rent with. Has anyone come in this situation? is it possible by law to change the rent date?

Many thanks in advance for help and advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Moved over from W&J; please note new charter in effect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You have no right in law to change the date on which your rent is due.
    Normal practice is to simply sit down with the landlord and explain the situation- I can't see anyone getting het up or excited over it.

Simply put- inform the landlord of the situation- and if you're now paying the rent a week later than previously (as you are)- offer to pay an additional week's rent for the first month of the changed payment date- in lieu of the fact that the landlord is getting his rent a week later- and everyone should be happy........

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pancakesand

Thanks for the advice, Much appreciated. will do so!

Nothing has changed in your income so why the need to change the rent day. Instead of paying the rent the day you are paid you just keep it aside in your account from pay day until rent day.

I'd imagine many LLs wouldn't change it, it's more practical for rent to be paid on the last day or the first day of the month particularly if his mortgage is going out at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

And Id imagine many LLs would accept this, especially if its a commercial one - as all rent days are different.

All you need to do is speak to the LL..

*Note just seen it was a private landlord.. same goes tho - just talk to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Nothing has changed in your income so why the need to change the rent day. Instead of paying the rent the day you are paid you just keep it aside in your account from pay day until rent day.

I'd imagine many LL wouldn't change it, it's more practical for rent to be paid on the last day or the first day of the month particularly if his mortgage is going out at the same time.

I'd imagine the op & her bf don't keep a months rent in their current ac by the sounds of it, and that's fine, many people manage their finances like that.

I'd do what the conductor is suggesting here, just agree with the landlord to switch the rent direct debit to the 9th of the month, and pay the rent for the 9 days phase shift to him for the first month as an extra. Very few landlords would have an issue with this, but they are not obliged to facilitate you like this, so it would be up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Surely the rent day makes little difference if your salary hasn't dropped? The first month might be a bit tricky but it's business as usual after that. You could ask the landlord to change the date but that might set off the alarm bells in his head. He might wonder if you have poor money management skills. The landlord's rent date is something I never have and never would question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I've been in the same situation and asked my LL if he would mind if I changed the date, I did offer to pay the extra 2 weeks rent though because that is fair. It brings you up to date for when you ever decide to move.

daithi7 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the op & her bf don't keep a months rent in their current ac by the sounds of it, and that's fine, many prior manage their finances like that.

The only real need to change the rent date would be if the person is unable to manage their finances and will blow the money in their account. I know its much nicer to have your bills, rent etc come out the day after you are paid but its not always possible and its not difficult to deal with when it arises. Even open another account and move the rent to that on pay day and have a standing order from that account if you really can't manage to keep your hands off the rent in your current account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

As others have said OP discuss with the landlord and let them know the situation.

My current tenants wanted to do same - move from a mid-month due date to a first of the month to coincide with monthly wage payments. They asked, said they'd pay the additional two weeks and that was fine, no issues at all. A decent LL shouldn't have an issue with it - it's a small thing, and as a LL I wouldn't be making a thing of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The only real need to change the rent date would be if the person is unable to manage their finances and will blow the money in their account. I know its much nicer to have your bills, rent etc come out the day after you are paid but its not always possible and its not difficult to deal with when it arises. Even open another account and move the rent to that on pay day and have a standing order from that account if you really can't manage to keep your hands off the rent in your current account.

I understand fully what you're saying- and indeed, agree with you by and large- however, we have to be cognisant, that for a large cohort of people, they do literally live from paycheck to paycheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pancakesand

Update: so i asked my landlord to move the date to the 7th since i calculated that that would be the latest day we get our salary on. Both of us has sadly no savings yet and if he have to pay double to keep up well then it would be a very very slim christmas. My landlord came back to me saying she would facilitate me if she could but he switched her mortgage day last year and they were not happy with it and therefore she cant help me. Well i then did my research and called the bank i know she is with and asked them if its actually true that you cant change the date. They told me of course you can change the date any time any day without hassle. I then contacted the organisation we signed our apartment contract to ask for advice and their thoughts on it. Seem like im right that they can can switch it any time any day but its actually up to our landlord to agree. So i contacted my land lord again saying i have a understanding after talking to the company and bank that you can change that date and that we are even willing to pay an extra fee to make it change and if we could help her with anything. Waiting for respond. Praying she will understand :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Update: so i asked my landlord to move the date to the 7th since i calculated that that would be the latest day we get our salary on. Both of us has sadly no savings yet and if he have to pay double to keep up well then it would be a very very slim christmas. My landlord came back to me saying she would facilitate me if she could but he switched her mortgage day last year and they were not happy with it and therefore she cant help me. Well i then did my research and called the bank i know she is with and asked them if its actually true that you cant change the date. They told me of course you can change the date any time any day without hassle. I then contacted the organisation we signed our apartment contract to ask for advice and their thoughts on it. Seem like im right that they can can switch it any time any day but its actually up to our landlord to agree. So i contacted my land lord again saying i have a understanding after talking to the company and bank that you can change that date and that we are even willing to pay an extra fee to make it change and if we could help her with anything. Waiting for respond. Praying she will understand :(

Pay this months rent on the usual day. Then next month pay it on the 7th and from then on do the same.

It doesn't matter when you actually pay it so long as you have a record of when you do and it is in the landlords account before the day it is due

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

matrim wrote: »
    Pay this months rent on the usual day. Then next month pay it on the 7th and from then on do the same.

It doesn't matter when you actually pay it so long as you have a record of when you do and it is in the landlords account before the day it is due

That's going to amount to two months rent within a week of each other, which I presume is partly what the OP wants to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

pilly wrote: »
    I've been in the same situation and asked my LL if he would mind if I changed the date, I did offer to pay the extra 2 weeks rent though because that is fair. It brings you up to date for when you ever decide to move.

So you asked to change the date it was due into the future by the sounds of it?and you feel good about yourself because you offered to pay the interim period which you owed anyway?? did I miss something?

TBH, thats none of your business and the bank might have suggested a general situation that they may facilitate, they certainly wouldnt discuss the details of the specific account nor does it mean they would even carry that out upon the landlords request. You cant just change the date of rent payment arbitrarily and it would seem to me to be unusual to request of a landlord.
    As for the landlord requesting it off their bank, if the time difference is too far, that may make the payments increase. I know this as I made an enquiry about changing my own personal mortgage as a date change would have suited me, and the bank essentially wanted two months mortgage payments in the space of 10-14 days and it would have caused my mortgage to increase slightly, I couldnt figure out why, but declined and had no choice but to work around the situation, which fortunately I could.

If they change the date it is due arbritrarily as you suggest especially without getting the landlords agreement, they may find they are getting a warning in the least, it may cause the landlord to be late in paying their mortgage and cause them to receive penalty charges from their bank or the landlord may even start the process of giving a warning for being late with the rent? Its something they simply cannot or should not do without the agreement of the landlord.
    If they are in less than 6 months, this might cause the landlord to take notice and terminate the contract with due notice.

OP, I suggest you speak to the landlord and take it from there, it would seem they have no obligation to help you, although it would be in their interest to facilitate something.

That's going to amount to two months rent within a week of each other, which I presume is partly what the OP wants to avoid.

Even if the landlord agrees they will probably end up doing 6 odd weeks in one go anyway.

I read the OP as more about money management that the amount. if the rent goes out just after payday there is no chance of accidentally running short, if you pay just before payday then there is a chance you could accidentally overspend and not have rent money

You can avoid it by being careful but if you are the type of person to overspend then just sending the money early is a way to avoid it.

cerastes wrote: »
    If they change the date it is due arbritrarily as you suggest especially without getting the landlords agreement, they may find they are getting a warning in the least, it may cause the landlord to be late in paying their mortgage and cause them to receive penalty charges from their bank or the landlord may even start the process of giving a warning for being late with the rent? Its something they simply cannot or should not do without the agreement of the landlord.
    If they are in less than 6 months, this might cause the landlord to take notice and terminate the contract with due notice.

They are not changing the date the rent is due, just the date they pay it. The agreement with the landlord is to pay rent before X date in order to not be in arrears. If you pay 10 days before X you will still never be in arrears because the landlord has the money before the requested date.

So you asked to change the date it was due into the future by the sounds of it?and you feel good about yourself because you offered to pay the interim period which you owed anyway?? did I miss something?

No you didn't miss anything, I'm simply stating what I did in the same situation, not feeling good about myself?

No you didn't miss anything, I'm simply stating what I did in the same situation, not feeling good about myself?

Just how you wrote, "I did offer" like it was optional

No what I meant was I offered before he had to ask so that he didn't really have anything to object to.

• Advertisement

On the other side of things I also have tenants who've just text me rent will be 5 days late! As if that's okay. I made the mistake of letting it go once and then it became every month until it was 10 days late. And what I mean by that is I would much prefer if a tenant rang me up, explained the situation and offered to pay the extra to change the date and I agree to that than they just decide to do it anyway.

They are not changing the date the rent is due, just the date they pay it. The agreement with the landlord is to pay rent before X date in order to not be in arrears. If you pay 10 days before X you will still never be in arrears because the landlord has the money before the requested date.

The date it is due is the date it is due to be paid, the landlord is in no way obliged to facilitate letting them pay it a week or ten days late so they wont be in arrears. If it is paid after the due date, it is late, thats all there is to it.
    They could receive their second warning by that stage.

My interpretation is they pay around the end/start of the month and now want to push this out by 7-9 days.
    if paid on the 1st of the month till now (Nov just gone) and then dont pay till the 7th of December they will be late paying it. The landlords mortgage may be due on the 1st of the month.
    If they want to alter it, it will rely on the landlord being able and willing to agree, if the landlord cannot or wont, then they dont have any option but to keep to the original agreement. if altering their circumstances by one week throws them out of kilter so much then that might be a worrying concern for the landlord, and it is not likely they will want to or be able to alter the date of the mortgage payment willy nilly to suit someones financial circumstances all the time.

At best the landlord can and will facilitate the change to the pay date, if not
    At worst, Id suggest they temporarily request to alter the situation by requesting to pay the interim week/ten days amount on the first of the month and then pay the balance on receiving wages, during the next few months they should try put the extra away so they are ahead of the situation and have something aside.
    It just sounds like they have plans to prioritise their own spending over paying their rent and with pay days changing that this throws them so out of kilter financially that they dont have enough to have the Xmas they want, have a slim Xmas, prioritise essentials and not excess Id suggest in whatever way it works out.

The date it is due is the date it is due to be paid, the landlord is in no way obliged to facilitate letting them pay it a week or ten days late so they wont be in arrears. If it is paid after the due date, it is late, thats all there is to it.
    They could receive their second warning by that stage.

I'm not suggesting they pay it late. I'm suggesting they pay it early.

If it is due on the 30th, then this month they pay on the 30th as normal. Next month they pay on the 7th. Essentially they are paying next months rent 23 days early

It means they have to take a hit for a month but then have less risk of missing a payment after that.

If it is due on the 30th, then this month they pay on the 30th as normal. Next month they pay on the 7th. Essentially they are paying next months rent 23 days early

It means they have to take a hit for a month but then have less risk of missing a payment after that.

I think it's gas how a lot of people would presume that people have a spare month's rent in the bank. In an ideal world yes you would but with the cost of renting now and all other cost rising so many people are living day to day never mind month to month. Take a dose of realism folks, if both on low wages there's no hope they would just have a spare months rent hanging around.

They seem to be stuck money wise, rather than paying a second month in the space of a week which seems unlikely, as they are getting paid now and presumably have already paid their months rent, I suggest they top that up till the 7th or 11th when they get paid again.
    ie a month plus 7 or 11 days and then next month pay a full months rent from the 7th IF the landlord agrees, that way they would pay 1month plus 7 or 10 days?? and then be back to a months rent from their wages next month.
    If the details of the OP are accurate and they have just gotten paid today? if they cant manage that now, then they seem unlikely to be able to manage a full extra months rent in the same time period.
    Many (myself included) couldnt manage that with their own mortgage and maybe the landlord cannot with their either.

They should put that to the landlord and hope the landlord can afford to pay the mortgage before the rent is due or that there isnt too much of an overlap.
    Maybe they are on low wages or even just the way rents are now, maybe not. Either way they will need to tighten their belts and reign in any excess spending (coming up to Xmas isnt nice but in this case necessary). If anything I think the excess at Xmas is a scam anyway and once I can have heat and food on that day I think thats the most that matters, others think differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

... Well i then did my research and called the bank i know she is with and asked them if its actually true that you cant change the date. They told me of course you can change the date any time any day without hassle. I then contacted the organisation we signed our apartment contract to ask for advice and their thoughts on it. Seem like im right that they can can switch it any time any day but its actually up to our landlord to agree. So i contacted my land lord again saying i have a understanding after talking to the company and bank that you can change that date and that we are even willing to pay an extra fee to make it change and if we could help her with anything. Waiting for respond. Praying she will understand 

Wow. It's completely none of your business what the landlord does with their money and I'd be completely p'd off if I got a message from a tenant that they'd double checked something that they had nothing to do with!

On the main point of the thread, it looks like either you or the landlord need to manage your finances better to make sure that you still have rent/mortgage at the end of the month. Seeing as you have a rental agreement with a date specified it's your issue and not the landlord's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

km991148 wrote: »
    And Id imagine many LLs would accept this, especially if its a commercial one - as all rent days are different.

All you need to do is speak to the LL..

*Note just seen it was a private landlord.. same goes tho - just talk to them!

Landlords mortgage may well come out on the 30th so would be reluctant to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Hi,
    So my boyfriend just got a new job at the same company as me.
    We get paid every 1st friday of the month. This means that the days change every month and latest paid out on the 7th or 9th in the month. We have our rent due on the 30th each month and we were able to pay that with no problem before as my boyfriend had another job before where he got his salary every last friday of the month. Now we are in a little sticky situation since both will be paid the first friday of the month. I know my landlord pays of a mortgage with the money we pay in for rent with. Has anyone come in this situation? is it possible by law to change the rent date?

Many thanks in advance for help and advice!

Op if your BF leaves work at say, the end of Nov, he'll still get paid. I don't see where the problem is. At worst he'll have to work maybe 5 weeks before he gets paid in the new job but he still wont be at a loss of any earnings.You just need to budget a bit better for the first month to take account of the extra week. If you really don't think you can manage, then ask your BF to explain the situation to his bank and maybe they'll cover it with an overdraft. But it's little or nothing to do with your landlord.

Advertisement