Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR

• 11-11-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Hey Boards!

What's your recommendation on a good 4k HDR TV to take advantage of the Pro's powers? I'm looking for something around the 50" mark.

With differing standards and compatibility on TV's it's proving to be a bit of a nightmare to find the right one!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

This perhaps: http://www.currys.ie/product/sony-bravia-kd50sd8005bu-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-50-curved-led-tv/339217/397.0.2, Sony mentioned they soon have some update for Sony TVs for PS4 Pro users, not sure what it means for performance, but worth investigating.

I suppose you need to choose one with lowest lag time. I have old '13 Samsung F9000 and with new SEK-3500 (a processor unit, which can be upgraded every year) it supports HDR and works perfectly fine with Pro, so any new 9000 series Samsung should be fine. Good luck.

What is going on with boards, it posts two times every time? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've got a Sony Bravia 55x8509c.

It's a really nice 4K screen which has been patched to support HDR, and Sony have also specifically lowered the input lag as well (33ms in Game mode, 58ms for 4K HDR).

Picture quality is fantastic, having watched 4K content from Sky and Netflix. Waiting on my PS4 Pro to arrive, but vanilla PS4 also looks very sharp on it.

Downsides? It runs Android TV, which is a heap of ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Samsung KS7000 series gets the thumbs up everywhere as being the best bang for your buck 4k HDR gaming TV with around 22ms lag in HDR mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

With Sony and some other manufacturers you have to spend a lot to get full HDR support and even then not all facets of HDR are being supported unless you go for the flagship model. Samsung however went out of their way to ensure that HDR is full supported on their midrange sets. Here is a link to an article about the Ultra HD Premium standard from the UHD alliance that some but not all manufacturers are following.

http://4k.com/news/a-clarification-on-sony-4k-tvs-the-ultra-hd-premium-standard-sony-4k-hdr-and-other-hdr-types-14436/

While you will see lower end Samsungs (KU series), patched Sony's and LG's saying they support HDR, they can process it but don't have the brightness levels, wide colour gamut or 10 bit panel to display it to it's full effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Downsides? It runs Android TV, which is a heap of ****e.

Whats so bad about it?

Tinie wrote: »
    Whats so bad about it?

It's sluggish, the app store is very sparse, and lots of pre-installed bloatware that can't be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

It's sluggish, the app store is very sparse, and lots of pre-installed bloatware that can't be removed.

I've got kodi, mobdro, ezfiles and vlc on my andorid Sony and I love it. Mine never crashes or stalls. The built in Chromecast is very good also.

I've always been a firm believer in Sony's tv having the best picture quality and I have had many different brands.

Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

Panasonic dx902b or Samsung ks8000. Panasonic has amazing picture quality and it's ultra hd 4k premium. also has THX modes. also backlit. Samsung really great set too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

The problem is that in 2015 and 2016 there was no standard set so many TVs are advertised as HDR but they actually don't have 10bit panel and what it means is they can receive hdr signal and process it but they are not really HDR TVs.

Below you have list of HDR10 TVs with a rating and input lag at 4k

LG E6: 8.4: 34.2 ms
    LG B6: 8.3: 54.3 ms
    Samsung KS9500: 8.2: 20.5 ms
    Samsung KS9000: 8.2: 20.5 ms
    Samsung KS8000: 8.2: 20.9 ms
    Samsung KS8500: 8.2: 23.1 ms
    Vizio P series; P50/55/65/75-C1 2016: 8.2: 19.1 ms
    Sony X930D: 8.1: 52.3 ms
    LG UH8500: 7.8: 26.9 ms
    Samsung JS8500: 7.7: 36.9 ms
    LG EG9600: 7.7: 50.1 ms
    Samsung JS9000: 7.7: 23.6 ms
    LG EF9500: 7.6: 53.5 ms
    Sony X850D: 7.5: 34.6 ms
    Sony X850C: 7.5: 39.5 ms
    Sony X800D: 7.5: 33.3 ms
    Vizio M Series 2016: 7.4: 19.8 ms
    LG UH7700: 7.4: 33.9 ms
    Sony X900C: 7.6: 35.1 ms
    Samsung KU7000: 7.0: 24.7 ms
    Samsung JS7000: 7.0: 27.4 ms
    Samsung KU6300: 6.8: 19.8 ms
    LG UH6100: 6.6: 39.7 ms

do more research and check reviews for the ones you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Anyone tell me if this TV worth it?...

Was going to buy Pro first but damn this seems like a serious TV to me...

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uh620v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv/336971/409.13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Anyone tell me if this TV worth it?...

Was going to buy Pro first but damn this seems like a serious TV to me...

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uh620v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv/336971/409.13

Not sure of the quality of that set but you're in the very bottom range of LGs 2016 tvs there, depends what you want from the TV but I think you might get better bang for your buck elsewhere. Here; http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1459247590 thats the LG range for this year.

I'd suggest going here https://www.avforums.com/threads/hdr-tvs-for-gamers-buying-guide.2051213/ and having a read.

• Advertisement

Not sure of the quality of that set but you're in the very bottom range of LGs 2016 tvs there, depends what you want from the TV but I think you might get better bang for your buck elsewhere. Here; http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1459247590 thats the LG range for this year.

I'd suggest going here https://www.avforums.com/threads/hdr-tvs-for-gamers-buying-guide.2051213/ and having a read.

New models are probably way more expensive though?

This is all I would want to pay and seems like a good offer but I don't know whether to go for it or not... Can't see me getting a better deal than that to be fair?...

Or should I just buy PS4 Pro first and sell my white PS4 on?

New models are probably way more expensive though?

This is all I would want to pay and seems like a good offer but I don't know whether to go for it or not... Can't see me getting a better deal than that to be fair?...

Or should I just buy PS4 Pro first and sell my white PS4 on?

I'm in a similar situation myself, I'm going to wait til january to upgrade to PS4 Pro and recently ordered the 49 inch version of this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hisense-43-Widescreen-Smart-Freeview/dp/B01E6GS0PA/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1480810322&sr=1-3&keywords=hisense+4k

I'll be using it in my separate game area so wasn't willing to break the bank either and this comes highly recommended. I wouldn't use this in my living room for general TV but for games and what I want it for its fine. Your mileage may vary.

I notice the guys in the Xbox thread are saying this is a good set;

http://www.did.ie/lg-43-smart-4k-led-tv-43uh603-prd

Have a look through their thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057653402&page=11

anything applicable to the Xbox One S is relevant to the Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have a LG myself and i would never buy again as the TV has cracked twice. Now it needs its mainboard and power board replacement and its only 16 months old. But thats my view on LG and i would not buy from power city as i will happy show you what there after service is like.

I am about to buy a new TV myself anyway to replace the crap that is the LG. I was testing out the Samsung ks8000 i think thats the model yesterday in sound store in cork. Fantastic picture on 4k Blu ray HDR. But i did see loads of light on the black borders on the screen on the film and in a room with no lights it will piss me off as it is just like the LG in question the back lights are way to bright. Even my girlfriend said the LG looks like crap compare to the Samsung we seen.

I have also tested the Panasonic tx50dx802b and was extremely impressed with it and reminds me of my old Panasonic GT20 plasma that i had for 5 years before the LG and quite sorry that i ever replaced it.

I was also told by one of the reaper age who fix LG not to buy them again and get rid of my own one once fixed and go back to a Panasonic again as he has one himself and you will love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I have a LG myself and i would never buy again as the TV has cracked twice. Now it needs its mainboard and power board replacement and its only 16 months old. But thats my view on LG and i would not buy from power city as i will happy show you what there after service is like.

I am about to buy a new TV myself anyway to replace the crap that is the LG. I was testing out the Samsung ks8000 i think thats the model yesterday in sound store in cork. Fantastic picture on 4k Blu ray HDR. But i did see loads of light on the black borders on the screen on the film and in a room with no lights it will piss me off as it is just like the LG in question the back lights are way to bright. Even my girlfriend said the LG looks like crap compare to the Samsung we seen.

I have also tested the Panasonic tx50dx802b and was extremely impressed with it and reminds me of my old Panasonic GT20 plasma that i had for 5 years before the LG and quite sorry that i ever replaced it.

I was also told by one of the reaper age who fix LG not to buy them again and get rid of my own one once fixed and go back to a Panasonic again as he has one himself and you will love it.

The US KS8000 is our KS7000, there's a big price jump between our 7000 and the 8000 that not really worth it.

Varik wrote: »
    The US KS8000 is our KS7000, there's a big price jump between our 7000 and the 8000 that not really worth it.

It must have been the KS7000 that i tested and being honest i would go for the Panasonic as the Panasonic has a 5 year warranty and after my LG and its 1 year i will never not touch anything TV wise that will cover me for 12 months as the fact i am just not able for the fight with Power City to get it repaired so i can sell the useless crap tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It must have been the KS7000 that i tested and being honest i would go for the Panasonic as the Panasonic has a 5 year warranty and after my LG and its 1 year i will never not touch anything TV wise that will cover me for 12 months as the fact i am just not able for the fight with Power City to get it repaired so i can sell the useless crap tv.

If warranty is your concern, buy from richersounds as everything has 6 year warranty - and that's provided by the retailer so you won't be fobbed off to the manufacturer

After looking into a lot of TVs think I really want the Sammy 7000.....just have to convince her ladyship

theteal wrote: »
    If warranty is your concern, buy from richersounds as everything has 6 year warranty - and that's provided by the retailer so you won't be fobbed off to the manufacturer

After looking into a lot of TVs think I really want the Sammy 7000.....just have to convince her ladyship

Thats who i am planing on buying from this time. As never again i would go near Power City they just don't care about Customer rights.

I have in a email from saying go on go on refuse this repair. And we don't have to repair your TV.

Have you seen the Panasonic in Action as you be going holy cow once you see it beside the samsung ;).

If I'm looking at the same models i.e. Samsung KS7000, Panasonic DX802B, the 49' Samsung was £799 last week (£999 now but I'm sure that could be worked on) and is UHD premium whereas the 50' Panasonic is £1049 and is not UHD premium so not proper HDR

What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I have a Samsung UHD, have it 2 years now, want to upgrade the TV seems I bought a pro, but I will wait till next November, want to see do Samsung bring any new better models out during 2017..

theteal wrote: »
    If I'm looking at the same models i.e. Samsung KS7000, Panasonic DX802B, the 49' Samsung was £799 last week (£999 now but I'm sure that could be worked on) and is UHD premium whereas the 50' Panasonic is £1049 and is not UHD premium so not proper HDR

What am I missing?

Not every manufacturer is signed up 'UHD Premium', even if their sets meet the spec.

• Advertisement

Not every manufacturer is signed up 'UHD Premium', even if their sets meet the spec.

I thought it was just Sony*

*of the brands that I'd be willing to spend that kind of money on

Like I had a guy who repairs the Samsungs Panasonic and Sony Telling me to buy the Panasonic as he says the Sony TV are Notting but problems due to andired tv in them.

My own eyes seen it yesterday I would go for the Panasonic over the Samsung as I was shocked with how bad for 1k euro TV how bad the led lights where on the screen.

The borders where not black block they where like on the LG this strange say navy on the screen.

Considering I won't to buy something that will last me this time on like the LG. I go back to a Panasonic as the fact I had one for. 5 years and I miss that TV as the picture was that good on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't really see how android TV service on a TV could ruin the whole tv tbh.

Yeah thats a pretty broad and sweeping statement to make about Sony TVs, especially when many consider Sony to be the best TV manufacturer at present, easily up there with Panasonic or anyone else for that matter.

Father has last years 4k Sony with Android TV. He only uses it for HD and it is one of the nicest screens I've seen. Android TV was pretty rubbish but he tells me its improved. I wouldn't rubbish LG completely either, sounds like you got a bad panel but that can happen with any manufacturer. The OLED LGs are extremely highly regarded, would love one myself.

Anyone looking at getting a new TV should really just head over to AVForums, they're very helpful and know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

just recently bought a Sony KD-55XD93 and cant see any problems with the android interface tbh after hearing such negative comments about it, picture is stunning once set up how you like it, haven't had a ps4 pro to test it with sadly just the regular ps4 seems to pick up hdr on patched ps4 games perfectly automatically switching to hdr mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Samsung KS and up have a 5 year warranty, and another 5 years for screen burn.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=958008

Is this TV better or worse than the LG UH630V?...

Going to pick up one or the other I think :P

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=958008

Is this TV better or worse than the LG UH630V?...

Going to pick up one or the other I think :P

I won't buy anything that's not with HDR on it now as you be sorry not to have it in your TV as there is a huge difference.

I would say stay away from the LG as well as I had the more higher lv panel and its broke and next to useless and fighting to get it replaced as the TV cracked twice ha ha.

What would your budget be on a TV?.

I won't buy anything that's not with HDR on it now as you be sorry not to have it in your TV as there is a huge difference.

I would say stay away from the LG as well as I had the more higher lv panel and its broke and next to useless and fighting to get it replaced as the TV cracked twice ha ha.

What would your budget be on a TV?.

490 would be the max, not much but saw 4k tvs around that price so taught I might bite the bullet. .

• Advertisement

490 would be the max, not much but saw 4k tvs around that price so taught I might bite the bullet. .

I would say hold on for another bit and save and buy a proper HDR set. As you be sorry in the long run. There is a huge difference between 4k and 4k with HDR. You won't the HDR panel. And if you can save like crazy you are going to won't the proper a 10 bit panel.

Advertisement