Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Snagged a new in box 55" KS7000 for €1149 in Soundstore. 200 quid cheaper than Amazon. Picking it up on Saturday, hopefully it lives up to expectations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

eric90000 wrote: »
    Snagged a new in box 55" KS7000 for €1149 in Soundstore. 200 quid cheaper than Amazon. Picking it up on Saturday, hopefully it lives up to expectations!

At the very least you'll love the voice controls from the smart remote ( you get 2 a plain old Samsung remote and a fancy smart one), you can tell it to change to the PlayStation and it'll change and turn it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Varik wrote: »
    At the very least you'll love the voice controls from the smart remote ( you get 2 a plain old Samsung remote and a fancy smart one), you can tell it to change to the PlayStation and it'll change and turn it on.

What a time to be alive.

Haha I didn't even know it could do that, this is by far the most expensive TV I've bought. Looking forward to setting it all up, will update once it's tested out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just going in to pick up this LG 49UH850V from Currys. Price seems good, got great reviews, and 5 year warranty. Not buying so much for gaming, but very fast response time

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Just going in to pick up this LG 49UH850V from Currys. Price seems good, got great reviews, and 5 year warranty. Not buying so much for gaming, but very fast response time

That seems like a great price for a TV with it's specs and features! Has that deal been on long?
    Is the response time good enough for gaming?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Nailz wrote: »
    That seems like a great price for a TV with it's specs and features! Has that deal been on long?
    Is the response time good enough for gaming?

I don't know how long its been on. I reserved it last night and collected it today.
    There are lots of Tvs on sale there at the moment, I looked long and hard at a 55" Panasonic, but I had done no homework on it, and it would have been way too big. I have it set up now and it is fantastic, sound and picture are brilliant. According to the reviews, it has one of the fastest response times out there, about 24/26 ms?

I looked long and hard at a 55" Panasonic, but I had done no homework on it, and it would have been way too big.

I'm upgrading from a 40" to a 55", I really hope it's not too big! General consensus seems to be the bigger the better for 4k TV's?

I'm upgrading from a 40" to a 55", I really hope it's not too big! General consensus seems to be the bigger the better for 4k TV's?

Too big for the corner the TV is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I was in the same boat as that. I have the tv in my room and could only fit in a 43". You really do need a big room to make a tv of 55" look like it's not out of place imo.

• Advertisement

Haha I didn't even know it could do that, this is by far the most expensive TV I've bought. Looking forward to setting it all up, will update once it's tested out.

It's a great TV, and what's more it make you a better person than those with lesser TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

hi does anyone know where i can get a component adapter cable for a ue40ku6000 samsung 4k tv? i have a ps4 pro hooked up with hdmi but i fancied hooking up my old ps2 aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Ha I didn't know you could do that and I've had this TV for a couple of months. Works great :cool:

Great tv, I drove up to Richer Sounds in Belfast and got the 49" model for £799.

hi does anyone know where i can get a component adapter cable for a ue40ku6000 samsung 4k tv? i have a ps4 pro hooked up with hdmi but i fancied hooking up my old ps2 aswell

I think the PS3 ones work so those are you're best bet. You'd be better asking in the Retro forum for particulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

research headache. so difficult to get any decent directions to this. There's just too many factors.
    anyway this is my shortlist in order of preference

Samsung ks8000
    sony x8000D
    Samsung ku6300 (cheapish)
    lg oled6
    sony x930D (wrote this one down and can't remember why)

pulling the trigger within a week, so speak now or forever hold your peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I see the 49' KS9000 is going for ?999 over here in Richersounds if you can find one. I would be all over that - we'll be moving house soon so I may very well be on that.

As for this years models, I'm eyeing up a Sony but would definitely need a price drop - I can't remember the model, price was about ?1500 when last checked.

Also awaiting reviews of this years Hisense units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    research headache. so difficult to get any decent directions to this. There's just too many factors.
    anyway this is my shortlist in order of preference

Samsung ks8000
    sony x8000D
    Samsung ku6300 (cheapish)
    lg oled6
    sony x930D (wrote this one down and can't remember why)

pulling the trigger within a week, so speak now or forever hold your peace

I think I'd be inclined to go for the KS8000, just looking at rtings and it seems to tick the boxes. What size are you thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

brb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I have the X8000D. It's a great tv. Good bit cheaper than the Samsung. Well it was when i bought it last November. Free extended 5 year warranty came with it too.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I think I'd be inclined to go for the KS8000, just looking at rtings and it seems to tick the boxes. What size are you thinking?

They use the original US/Korean naming, the KS8000 on Rtings refer to our KS7000.

If you buy a KS8000 in Ireland/UK you're getting a lower end KS9000

• Advertisement

I'm interested to see how this TV is going for you so far. Are you happy with it?

I'm interested to see how this TV is going for you so far. Are you happy with it?

Extremely. Coming up from a 7 year old Samsung 40" Full HD, the difference is very noticeable. It is an IPS panel, so blacks aren't great, but it doesn't bother me too much so far. Maybe if I'm watching a David Attenborough programme about a black bear, wearing black clothes, polishing boots in a coal mine I might get annoyed, we'll see.:D

FIFA, Titanfall 2, Bloodborne all look so much better. Very good built in sound, Blade Runner Blu-Ray looks stunning on it. Remote takes a bit of getting used to, and I have to go to Currys and explain that it is their offer of a 5 year warranty, not LG's. :rolleyes: It is exclusive to Currys, BTW>
    They have a lot of TVs on display in Currys Mahon Point, with sports, Blu-Rays and games showing, so you can see the best of them.

Anything else, feel free to ask.

They use the original US/Korean naming, the KS8000 on Rtings refer to our KS7000.

If you buy a KS8000 in Ireland/UK you're getting a lower end KS9000

You're dead right, amateur hour in the foxer house when i posted it :o

Extremely. Coming up from a 7 year old Samsung 40" Full HD, the difference is very noticeable. It is an IPS panel, so blacks aren't great, but it doesn't bother me too much so far. Maybe if I'm watching a David Attenborough programme about a black bear, wearing black clothes, polishing boots in a coal mine I might get annoyed, we'll see.:D

FIFA, Titanfall 2, Bloodborne all look so much better. Very good built in sound, Blade Runner Blu-Ray looks stunning on it. Remote takes a bit of getting used to, and I have to go to Currys and explain that it is their offer of a 5 year warranty, not LG's. :rolleyes: It is exclusive to Currys, BTW>
    They have a lot of TVs on display in Currys Mahon Point, with sports, Blu-Rays and games showing, so you can see the best of them.

Anything else, feel free to ask.
    Thanks a million for the reply! Sounds good to me, especially regarding the sound. The built in sound is a big deal to me anyway, especially when most modern flat panel TVs tend to have underwhelming sound and poor bass.

I bought a cheap 43" 4K Philips television about 18 months ago from Argos and although the 1080p & 4K picture on it was decent, a lot about the TV left a lot to be desired, from the back light to the black levels to the up-scaling to the UI to the sound... Seriously considering moving that on and upgrading to your LG model.

Just 2 more questions before I potentially splurge on it: have you tested out any HDR enabled games on it, and although it's somewhat unimportant now but what's the upscaling from lower resolutions like?
    Thanks again! :)

No, I should have said, I'm using with the Slim, didn't think I'd be getting a 4K T.V. this soon...:o
    Not sure on the upscaling front, all pictures seem good so far, but sticking only to HD TV and BluRay at the moment. Looking at getting Netflix 4K for a while to really see how it performs. Between bigger screen and better quality picture, we're a bit like the slack jawed yokels from the Simpsons at the minute:D

No, I should have said, I'm using with the Slim, didn't think I'd be getting a 4K T.V. this soon...:o
    Not sure on the upscaling front, all pictures seem good so far, but sticking only to HD TV and BluRay at the moment. Looking at getting Netflix 4K for a while to really see how it performs. Between bigger screen and better quality picture, we're a bit like the slack jawed yokels from the Simpsons at the minute:D
    Haha brilliant :D
    AFAIK though the base model PS4's can also output HDR, this might depend on the HDMI cable though, but I'm not too sure on that! Great to hear you're happy with it though, it's definitely enticing me a little bit anyway. :)

Haha brilliant :D
    AFAIK though the base model PS4's can also output HDR, this might depend on the HDMI cable though, but I'm not too sure on that! Great to hear you're happy with it though, it's definitely enticing me a little bit anyway. :)

While the cable matters it's more like an Irish country road, it might say 80Km/hr but you'd be mad to do 40 on some of them.

If the cable is short and not damaged or eroded on the contacts it'll work for anything. Longer older cables it starts to matter.

The game dictates if HDR will work on a standard PS4, the dev has to enable it. Even if the Pro version has it the standard may not, even if you've a compatible HDR TV.

Thanks a million for the reply! Sounds good to me, especially regarding the sound. The built in sound is a big deal to me anyway, especially when most modern flat panel TVs tend to have underwhelming sound and poor bass.

I bought a cheap 43" 4K Philips television about 18 months ago from Argos and although the 1080p & 4K picture on it was decent, a lot about the TV left a lot to be desired, from the back light to the black levels to the up-scaling to the UI to the sound... Seriously considering moving that on and upgrading to your LG model.

Just 2 more questions before I potentially splurge on it: have you tested out any HDR enabled games on it, and although it's somewhat unimportant now but what's the upscaling from lower resolutions like?
    Thanks again! :)

Curious which model Philips you have? Some of them got a HDR update

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Curious which model Philips you have? Some of them got a HDR update
    It's the 43PUT4900 model, I think it was an Argos exclusive in the UK and Ireland which everyone on HUKD was going mad over because it came to as low as £300 on clearance.

I checked a couple of months ago and I don't believe there was a HDR update for that model. I think a few users brought it up on Philips' support forums and asked why there hasn't been an update for 8-bit HDR and they were generally met with a response along the lines of "it's a 2015 model and Philips are only enabling HDR updates to models placed on the market from 2016".
    Or in other words 'buy a newer, more expensive TV, you bum'. :pac:

To be honest, I came in a little early and missed the boat on HDR being a thing, especially within the gaming space. If I'm going to upgrade, I want to go full wack and ensure I'm getting a decent panel with 10-bit/Dolby HDR, no point in settling for 8-bit HDR as I've already bought one TV in the past while that was behind the curve, I'll try not to make the same mistake again.

• Advertisement

It's the 43PUT4900 model, I think it was an Argos exclusive in the UK and Ireland which everyone on HUKD was going mad over because it came to as low as £300 on clearance.

I checked a couple of months ago and I don't believe there was a HDR update for that model. I think a few users brought it up on Philips' support forums and asked why there hasn't been an update for 8-bit HDR and they were generally met with a response along the lines of "it's a 2015 model and Philips are only enabling HDR updates to models placed on the market from 2016".
    Or in other words 'buy a newer, more expensive TV, you bum'. :pac:

To be honest, I came in a little early and missed the boat on HDR being a thing, especially within the gaming space. If I'm going to upgrade, I want to go full wack and ensure I'm getting a decent panel with 10-bit/Dolby HDR, no point in settling for 8-bit HDR as I've already bought one TV in the past while that was behind the curve, I'll try not to make the same mistake again.

Keep an eye on LG screens, they're ahead when it comes to format support over a few of the models but their LED pictures quality isn't great. No reason to hold out as only very high end TV can even show the difference so currently you'd be limited to likely LG's OLED as their LED wouldn't be good enough to show the difference.

Not to mention lack of content.

Advertisement