Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

mystic86 wrote: »
    Would this TV be in a similar boat or would it be better?

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-60UM7100PLB

Thanks
    Can only go on certain assumptions but it's a budget LG so HDR is going to pretty poor, if HDR is important to you you'd need to spend a lot more.
    What I can say is that unlike most of LGs other range of TVs this is most likely a VA panel which IMO is more desirable than an IPS panel. I don't believe there are any 60" IPS panels being produced anywhere.(again making assumptions but I'd be confident enough).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

M00lers wrote: »
    Can only go on certain assumptions but it's a budget LG so HDR is going to pretty poor, if HDR is important to you you'd need to spend a lot more.
    What I can say is that unlike most of LGs other range of TVs this is most likely a VA panel which IMO is more desirable than an IPS panel. I don't believe there are any 60" IPS panels being produced anywhere.(again making assumptions but I'd be confident enough).

ah ok, pity. It's 550 in Argos at the moment. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

mystic86 wrote: »
    ah ok, pity. It's 550 in Argos at the moment. Thanks.

You may love it man, 60" for that money is worth considering. Like I said though you'd need to spend more if HDR is important or a deal breaker.

I have a 4K Samsung QLED 55". I know nothing about setups etc.

What should I be making sure I have "on" when hooked up to my pro? Also, does the fact that I have the HDMI running through the PSVR adapter mean I am not getting the full benefit of the Pro/Telly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I have a 4K Samsung QLED 55". I know nothing about setups etc.

What should I be making sure I have "on" when hooked up to my pro? Also, does the fact that I have the HDMI running through the PSVR adapter mean I am not getting the full benefit of the Pro/Telly?

Only if it is a 1st gen psvr, if your psvr came bundled with a camera it is a 2nd gen unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it is a 1st gen, then buy a HDMI coupler. I looked into different switches and matrixes but the coupler is just easier and costs less than a sandwich.

Have a cable from the PS4 to the breakout box and a cable from the TV to the breakout box and for the majority of the time just have those 2 cables connected with the coupler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Saw some new deals today in Argos and HN. Still can't decide though.

Keep an eye on richersounds.ie as they usually give 6 year warranty for TVs and they have a forum on here too
    https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If you can find another €149 down the back of the couch, the XG90 is the one to get

Although a look at richersounds show they still have the XF90 in 55" for the same price. There's very little difference, I'd be inclined to go with the older XF

• Advertisement

1k and 55" are out of the question I'm afraid. At the moment, it's between the LG 8500 and Sony 8196 and this site gives the nod to the LG

https://www.zkelectronics.com/comparetv/lg-49sm8500pla/uk/sony-kd-49xg8196/uk/

I just don't know if i should hold out for black Friday weekend, don't want to get burnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

theteal wrote: »
    If you can find another €149 down the back of the couch, the XG90 is the one to get

Although a look at richersounds show they still have the XF90 in 55" for the same price. There's very little difference, I'd be inclined to go with the older XF

I'm considering an upgrade at some point and the main reason is for nice looking games but I was looking at the likes of the LG OLED 55B9PLA mainly due to the OLED screen.

If games are my thing, am I better off looking at the sony though?

Just wondering as I'm not great with comparing TV features :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'm considering an upgrade at some point and the main reason is for nice looking games but I was looking at the likes of the LG OLED 55B9PLA mainly due to the OLED screen.

If games are my thing, am I better off looking at the sony though?

Just wondering as I'm not great with comparing TV features :D

For the same price, I'd be inclined to go for the Pana 802 OLED from the same site BUT the LG you have linked does have HDMI 2.1 which might be a major point for your future gaming. The Pana has better picture processing.

The Sony XG/XF90 is good and best bang for buck in the LCD bracket but obviously OLED gives better contrast and deeper blacks etc.

Just be aware of how image retention/burn-in works if you do go OLED though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

1k and 55" are out of the question I'm afraid. At the moment, it's between the LG 8500 and Sony 8196 and this site gives the nod to the LG

https://www.zkelectronics.com/comparetv/lg-49sm8500pla/uk/sony-kd-49xg8196/uk/

I just don't know if i should hold out for black Friday weekend, don't want to get burnt.

The day of Black Friday usually has the best deals. I was thinking of getting 4ktv this year too but going to hold off until the specs for PS5 are released

The day of Black Friday usually has the best deals. I was thinking of getting 4ktv this year too but going to hold off until the specs for PS5 are released

I just noticed the 2 midrange i posted say on Argos that the price is valid until January 2020 so doesn't look like they'll pop back up in price after black Friday. Will hold off til next weekend.

Decided to reserve the LG 49SM8500 for 650 in Argos.

Doing compares on the site below (which has been the best thing I've found in my investigations), the LG comes out better than a lot of TV's priced above it. One of the cheapest to have 100hz refresh rate which was one of my main needs. The Richersounds warranty is very tempting but the 650 price in Argos is too tempting for that model and I'm afraid they'd sell out or something.

https://www.zkelectronics.com/comparetv/lg-49sm8500pla/uk/sony-kd-49xg9005/uk/

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to use their New 4K HDR TV for PC have a look at LG's 2019 Oled.

They updated the firmware to allow for GSync and over HDMI 2.1, it already had freesync (for current Xbox) but if anyone is looking for something a bit future proof for next gen they should look here.

Varik wrote: »
    If anyone wants to use their New 4K HDR TV for PC have a look at LG's 2019 Oled.

They updated the firmware to allow for GSync and over HDMI 2.1, it already had freesync (for current Xbox) but if anyone is looking for something a bit future proof for next gen they should look here.

That this tv?

Coz I'm all up for buying something irresponsible :D

That's C9, the b9 and e9 too.

For pc for gsync you will need a newer gpu with hdmi 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dubliniift

Do we have door busters at Currys or Harvey Norman or DID?

dubliniift wrote: »
    Do we have door busters at Currys or Harvey Norman or DID?

I was in HN during the week asking this and they said their black tag sale is their black Friday sale and they are rock bottom prices. They said they "might" have price reductions on Friday but he doesn't know for sure. Be said look at the website Friday morning as prices on that will reflect the stores.

I have a tv reserved in Argos but gonna check HN and Currys first to see if they have any actual black Friday deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dubliniift

I was in HN during the week asking this and they said their black tag sale is their black Friday sale and they are rock bottom prices. They said they "might" have price reductions on Friday but he doesn't know for sure. Be said look at the website Friday morning as prices on that will reflect the stores.

I have a tv reserved in Argos but gonna check HN and Currys first to see if they have any actual black Friday deals.

DB deals are usually for first 20-30 customers. Not listed online. at least that was how it was US recently. Thanks for your update :-)

dubliniift wrote: »
    DB deals are usually for first 20-30 customers. Not listed online. at least that was how it was US recently. Thanks for your update :-)

Ah i get ya. Been waiting for black Friday all year in hopes of getting the best deal on a tv but don't think i can do the whole queuing up from 6 in the hopes of a deal that might not exist. Im gonna try head in for when they open and see what's going on.

Got the LG 49sm8500 today for 650 in Argos. The ps4 pro looks absolutely incredible on it. Just tested days gone and staring at the quality of detail, really class. Game Mode really quickens up the feel of the game as well with the low input lag.

Tv watching though.... Not so good. I definitely have to fiddle around with the picture settings but the free to air satellite i have, even the hd channels are lower quality than my previous 42 inch hd tv which i wasn't expecting. Absolute ton of picture settings so hopefully i can find the right ones.

Got the LG 49sm8500 today for 650 in Argos. The ps4 pro looks absolutely incredible on it. Just tested days gone and staring at the quality of detail, really class. Game Mode really quickens up the feel of the game as well with the low input lag.

Tv watching though.... Not so good. I definitely have to fiddle around with the picture settings but the free to air satellite i have, even the hd channels are lower quality than my previous 42 inch hd tv which i wasn't expecting. Absolute ton of picture settings so hopefully i can find the right ones.

That is a limitation of lcd/led tvs. All sources not at the native resolution of the screen are scaled, usually poorly. More expensive sets suffer from this too.

That is a limitation of lcd/led tvs. All sources not at the native resolution of the screen are scaled, usually poorly. More expensive sets suffer from this too.

I saw a tip to turn off LG TruMotion to get rid of soap opera effect. Made a huge difference to the movement on the screen, looks much better. Still need to tweak the brightness and learn to avoid non-hd stuff :)

I saw a tip to turn off LG TruMotion to get rid of soap opera effect. Made a huge difference to the movement on the screen, looks much better. Still need to tweak the brightness and learn to avoid non-hd stuff :)

Yeah, that does help a lot. Frame interpolation is awful.

As for non hd stuff you can avoid RTE entirely. Cheap ass gits never have anything in hd, even sports. The studio bits will be in HD, then the game feed will not. RTEs sd quality is poor in comparison to others too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Yeah seems like an odd move to me too so close to a release of a new console.

I’ll be waiting until this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Given the spec for the ps5 has been released, is there a need for a new thread for Tvs that will manage its output?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

duploelabs wrote: »
    Given the spec for the ps5 has been released, is there a need for a new thread for Tvs that will manage its output?

Have they confirmed HDMI 2.1 for the PS5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Have they confirmed HDMI 2.1 for the PS5?

No but as Sony are part of the HDMI Founders, it's certain they'll have it.

• Advertisement

Got the LG OLED 55C9PLA after to treat my self for finishing college.

Now contemplating getting a PS Pro to go with it at some point. Was nice to see 4k content on the TV finally but jesus Horizon Zero Dawn looks cracking on it.

Jim Ryan mentioned 4k @120fps, obviously not all game will run at that but the console being capable means it's not 2.0 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Sony have been very odd with their TV unveiling this year at CES. No mention of HDMI 2.1 on any of their sets.

Surely they couldn't be so stupid as to not include the standard on all their sets with PS5 launching this year?

Sony have been very odd with their TV unveiling this year at CES. No mention of HDMI 2.1 on any of their sets.

Surely they couldn't be so stupid as to not include the standard on all their sets with PS5 launching this year?

Yeah, seams a bit odd considering LG had their high end TVs for this year G Sync certified by Nvidia. They have a couple of 2.1 sets on the market already too.

None of the 2019 Sony had it, LG were the only ones to push it across a lot of their range as said but only at the higher end. Only Samsung's flagship had it.

For the new flagships which are mostly 8K, unless it's limited to 30Hz then it's 2.1. Sony's new 8K are 2.1. Any TV capable of 120Hz at 4k is probably 2.1. For Sony it looks like the X900H and higher will have it, for that model it's hardware supported but will get it in an software update. I can't see any information for the X850H or lower yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

A little guidance here I have a LG 4K Smart UHD for my PS Pro and tonight herself was watching the rte and when I went back to the game , the screen was flickering like I don't know what , this is has happened once before and I had to reset the tv to factory settings , Tried changing HDMI cable and all that stuff , Is there anything you'd recommend to avoid future instances ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, so I've had a 49" 4K non-HDR LG for the last 5/6 years. Paid €1500 for it back in the day. I wasn't pushed on HDR because all I could see at the time were HDR photos and how fake they looked. TV has done be perfectly fine for these years, but recently the parents got me to upgrade their tv, and the mother likes LG (they have a 23" one) so wanted the same. Managed to get a 43" (fits perfectly) LG 4K HDR for €360 (down from €500... tv's are gone cheap!), and I finally hooked up the Pro to it tonight and threw on AC: Odyssey (the only installed game that takes advantage of HDR).

Well, I was wrong. It made a very noticable difference. Everything immediately looked sharper and more detailed. So, I highly recommend HDR, but I'd also imagine you'd want to me forking out for the leading brands over the cheaper brands. I personally wouldn't buy a tv unless it was Sony, Samsung or LG, but that's personal preference based on a probably incorrect idea that they make the best tv's!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Right, my old 42" 12 year old Panasonic plasma is on way out so time to upgrade.
    currently use PS4 but will get PS 5 next year

Looking for 55-65" and have €1200-1300 to spend.

Play things like ghost recon, Days gone and love a driving game, particular Project Cars 1/2

Any recommendations?

rofno1 wrote: »
    Right, my old 42" 12 year old Panasonic plasma is on way out so time to upgrade.
    currently use PS4 but will get PS 5 next year

Looking for 55-65" and have €1200-1300 to spend.

Play things like ghost recon, Days gone and love a driving game, particular Project Cars 1/2

Any recommendations?

A little higher than your budget at €1450, this LG 55 OLED has hdmi 2.1 and a very low input latency. This supports 4K 120hz and has a variable refresh rate, which is supported by Xbox One X and the new consoles.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-oled55c9mlb-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-10193150-pdt.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I really tried to keep it local when buying a TV for my son (He did a lot of work over the last years for his leaving, and it was promised. His results better be good now:pac:). Tried Currys, Argos, HN, Expert but eventually I went to Richer Sounds for this: LG TV 6 year warranty, ordered Saturday delivered on Monday. Picture is superb. God of War looks amazing on it. I was getting about 32 inch for the same money with the stores above.

Sorry, delivered Wednesday.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I really tried to keep it local when buying a TV for my son (He did a lot of work over the last years for his leaving, and it was promised. His results better be good now:pac:). Tried Currys, Argos, HN, Expert but eventually I went to Richer Sounds for this: LG TV 6 year warranty, ordered Saturday delivered on Monday. Picture is superb. God of War looks amazing on it. I was getting about 32 inch for the same money with the stores above.

Yeah, Richer Sounds are great. For the new model of the tv I posted above, the LG 55" CX, it's €1899 in Richer Sounds. Everywhere else it's €2199.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

whiterebel wrote: »

Sorry, delivered Wednesday.

Thanks for posting this - would you mind checking if it has component inputs - I have a huge collection of consoles and sometimes I like to play my old ones through component - Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I think it is component at the back: https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UM7400PLB

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Hi just wondering , can anyone recommend the best 43inch hrd10 Samsung tv with 3 hdmi ports for my pro? i've looked through currys , soundstore and Harvey norman but hard to decide. Budget would be between 350-550. I'm not that clever with tvs so finding it hard to tell the differences between samsungs

Hi just wondering , can anyone recommend the best 43inch hrd10 Samsung tv with 3 hdmi ports for my pro? i've looked through currys , soundstore and Harvey norman but hard to decide. Budget would be between 350-550. I'm not that clever with tvs so finding it hard to tell the differences between samsungs

Pretty sure there isn't one, no proper 10bit displays that size anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Pretty sure there isn't one, no proper 10bit displays that size anyway.

Oh right really? https://www.soundstore.ie/samsung-43-ultra-hd-crystal-view-hdr-smart-ue43tu7100kxxu.html for this one it says picture enchancement: hrd powered by HDR10+. Is that not 10bit no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Oh right really? https://www.soundstore.ie/samsung-43-ultra-hd-crystal-view-hdr-smart-ue43tu7100kxxu.html for this one it says picture enchancement: hrd powered by HDR10+. Is that not 10bit no?

You need to do more research rather than just relying on what retailers say. You need to find the panel bit as a lot of places will say HDR 10 to lure you in but in reality its an 8 bit panel with a +2.

These guys are usually good for specs.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204587-samsung-ue43tu7100-new-t-series-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-with-apple-tv-app.aspx

If you scroll down you'll see it says 10 bit (8+2 FRC). There is a world of difference between that and a true 10 bit panel. Its also why the price is so low on the model you have, proper 10 bit you're looking at a thousand give or take.

Website called display specifications is another good place to check a tv.

Also pretty sure a true 10 bit can't be gotten in a 43inch model. I think 50 inch is the smallest you're looking at for a 10 bit panel.

You need to do more research rather than just relying on what retailers say. You need to find the panel bit as a lot of places will say HDR 10 to lure you in but in reality its an 8 bit panel with a +2.

These guys are usually good for specs.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204587-samsung-ue43tu7100-new-t-series-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-with-apple-tv-app.aspx

If you scroll down you'll see it says 10 bit (8+2 FRC). There is a world of difference between that and a true 10 bit panel. Its also why the price is so low on the model you have, proper 10 bit you're looking at a thousand give or take.

Website called display specifications is another good place to check a tv.

Also pretty sure a true 10 bit can't be gotten in a 43inch model. I think 50 inch is the smallest you're looking at for a 10 bit panel.

The 48 inch LG CX is a 10 bit display, buy costs €1600 as it is an OLED.

Great set for gaming though as it supports VRR, which both next gen consoles and the One X can use. It also has an auto low latency mode for gaming with an input lag of 1ms like most monitors.

Other than that you're looking at screen sizes of 50+ for 10bit displays. 12bit displays are supported in HDMI 2.1, but I don't think a single one has entered the market yet.

LG SM9 and up are 10bit, VRR and G-Sync compatable (depending on firmware) but not Freesync. Low lag. IPS compared to most other LED which are VA. Also is HDMI 2.1. local dimming isn't great but it's okish, and since it's IPS black uniformity is worse than a comparative VA. has dolby visiona and atmos.

49" is €800
    55" is €900
    65" is €1099

Contrast, blacks, and hence HDR isn't as great as a VA but since it's is IPS it has great viewing angles. So if room placement is an issue this TV is great for some.

2020 is kind of a false start, there's going to be shortage of some models as sale kick in and maybe a few other that have a stock surplus. Also a lot of what around is still 2019 as the 2020 never came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

When did buying tv's require a degree in electronic engineering?! I understood about 30% of that post...

• Advertisement
Advertisement