Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

whiterebel wrote: »
    I really tried to keep it local when buying a TV for my son (He did a lot of work over the last years for his leaving, and it was promised. His results better be good now:pac:). Tried Currys, Argos, HN, Expert but eventually I went to Richer Sounds for this: LG TV 6 year warranty, ordered Saturday delivered on Monday. Picture is superb. God of War looks amazing on it. I was getting about 32 inch for the same money with the stores above.

Yeah, Richer Sounds are great. For the new model of the tv I posted above, the LG 55" CX, it's €1899 in Richer Sounds. Everywhere else it's €2199.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

whiterebel wrote: »
    I really tried to keep it local when buying a TV for my son (He did a lot of work over the last years for his leaving, and it was promised. His results better be good now:pac:). Tried Currys, Argos, HN, Expert but eventually I went to Richer Sounds for this: LG TV 6 year warranty, ordered Saturday delivered on Monday. Picture is superb. God of War looks amazing on it. I was getting about 32 inch for the same money with the stores above.

Sorry, delivered Wednesday.

Thanks for posting this - would you mind checking if it has component inputs - I have a huge collection of consoles and sometimes I like to play my old ones through component - Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I think it is component at the back: https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UM7400PLB

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Hi just wondering , can anyone recommend the best 43inch hrd10 Samsung tv with 3 hdmi ports for my pro? i've looked through currys , soundstore and Harvey norman but hard to decide. Budget would be between 350-550. I'm not that clever with tvs so finding it hard to tell the differences between samsungs

Hi just wondering , can anyone recommend the best 43inch hrd10 Samsung tv with 3 hdmi ports for my pro? i've looked through currys , soundstore and Harvey norman but hard to decide. Budget would be between 350-550. I'm not that clever with tvs so finding it hard to tell the differences between samsungs

Pretty sure there isn't one, no proper 10bit displays that size anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Pretty sure there isn't one, no proper 10bit displays that size anyway.

Oh right really? https://www.soundstore.ie/samsung-43-ultra-hd-crystal-view-hdr-smart-ue43tu7100kxxu.html for this one it says picture enchancement: hrd powered by HDR10+. Is that not 10bit no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Oh right really? https://www.soundstore.ie/samsung-43-ultra-hd-crystal-view-hdr-smart-ue43tu7100kxxu.html for this one it says picture enchancement: hrd powered by HDR10+. Is that not 10bit no?

You need to do more research rather than just relying on what retailers say. You need to find the panel bit as a lot of places will say HDR 10 to lure you in but in reality its an 8 bit panel with a +2.

These guys are usually good for specs.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204587-samsung-ue43tu7100-new-t-series-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-with-apple-tv-app.aspx

If you scroll down you'll see it says 10 bit (8+2 FRC). There is a world of difference between that and a true 10 bit panel. Its also why the price is so low on the model you have, proper 10 bit you're looking at a thousand give or take.

Website called display specifications is another good place to check a tv.

Also pretty sure a true 10 bit can't be gotten in a 43inch model. I think 50 inch is the smallest you're looking at for a 10 bit panel.

You need to do more research rather than just relying on what retailers say. You need to find the panel bit as a lot of places will say HDR 10 to lure you in but in reality its an 8 bit panel with a +2.

These guys are usually good for specs.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204587-samsung-ue43tu7100-new-t-series-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-with-apple-tv-app.aspx

If you scroll down you'll see it says 10 bit (8+2 FRC). There is a world of difference between that and a true 10 bit panel. Its also why the price is so low on the model you have, proper 10 bit you're looking at a thousand give or take.

Website called display specifications is another good place to check a tv.

Also pretty sure a true 10 bit can't be gotten in a 43inch model. I think 50 inch is the smallest you're looking at for a 10 bit panel.

The 48 inch LG CX is a 10 bit display, buy costs €1600 as it is an OLED.

Great set for gaming though as it supports VRR, which both next gen consoles and the One X can use. It also has an auto low latency mode for gaming with an input lag of 1ms like most monitors.

Other than that you're looking at screen sizes of 50+ for 10bit displays. 12bit displays are supported in HDMI 2.1, but I don't think a single one has entered the market yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

LG SM9 and up are 10bit, VRR and G-Sync compatable (depending on firmware) but not Freesync. Low lag. IPS compared to most other LED which are VA. Also is HDMI 2.1. local dimming isn't great but it's okish, and since it's IPS black uniformity is worse than a comparative VA. has dolby visiona and atmos.

49" is €800
    55" is €900
    65" is €1099

Contrast, blacks, and hence HDR isn't as great as a VA but since it's is IPS it has great viewing angles. So if room placement is an issue this TV is great for some.

2020 is kind of a false start, there's going to be shortage of some models as sale kick in and maybe a few other that have a stock surplus. Also a lot of what around is still 2019 as the 2020 never came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

When did buying tv's require a degree in electronic engineering?! I understood about 30% of that post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So my Sony 49" XF90 pooped itself the other day,something to do with the backlight array. Total bust.

Anyway Sony have offered the 49" XG90 as a replacement so a newer model.

But I'm debating pushing for a refund and maybe look at this years XH90.

Problem is I dont see the 49" model anywhere so has anybody seen somewhere selling it?

EoinHef wrote: »
    So my Sony 49" XF90 pooped itself the other day,something to do with the backlight array. Total bust.

Anyway Sony have offered the 49" XG90 as a replacement so a newer model.

But I'm debating pushing for a refund and maybe look at this years XH90.

Problem is I dont see the 49" model anywhere so has anybody seen somewhere selling it?

There's not a 49" of the XH90 there is of the XH95, if still looking.

Did you buy it direct off them (ie: not in Ireland)

Would assume they'd not refund it in that case, and then you're back square one with wherever you did buy it.

XH90 XH95 have HDMI 2.1 and all that comes with that so is a decent upgrade.

Wouldn't be holding out hope for a refund, either through warranty from Sony or consumer rights through shop. In both cases offering a upgrade of a XG covers them and would be cheaper than any even partial refund they have to offer.

EDIT: XH950 doesn't have HDMI 2.1

Cheers for that,makes sense why I couldn't find a 49" then. I did see the XH95 but knew that was a model above.

Anything bigger would be too big for the room its going in so the XH90 bigger sizes would be out.

Was from Power City,they contacted Sony on my behalf and got me in touch with Sony authorised service agent.

Service agent stated current TV was a write off. They contacted me again this morning and said I could take the XG(newer model than I had) or push for credit from Sony. They said ring on Monday and let them know.

Thats what has made me think about options. The XH95 is ~€1300 so that's about €100 more if I got a total refund. I'll push for refund and if it becomes a major issues I'll just take the XG90.

Had been very happy with current unit till it died,either way I should have a slightly better TV as a result though so cant complain too much.

Misspoke there, the XH950 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 so you can't really call it an full generation upgrade. It's a weird side step partial upgrade from the XG90.

So honestly as HDMI 2.1 is a big deal, I'd look at other brands if 49" is the max or have a think if 55" could work somehow with a different stand and raise the TV as it's got a vesa mount on back.

Yeah ill have to mull it over.

Ignorance is bliss in some ways,I bought the best TV for me in my budget at the time and was happy with it,diving into specs sheets isn't that appealing atm.

120Hz at 4K though? Is that really in reach? Not unless there's a console refresh mid gen imo,which is years away

To be clear,there will be games that run 120hz@4k,but are they the everyday games everyone plays? The next god of war is going to be 120hz@4k? Not a chance,not even an outside remote chance

Also there's always displayport,id love to see at least one port on each TV.

Yeah ill have to mull it over.

Ignorance is bliss in some ways,I bought the best TV for me in my budget at the time and was happy with it,diving into specs sheets isn't that appealing atm.

120Hz at 4K though? Is that really in reach? Not unless there's a console refresh mid gen imo,which is years away

To be clear,there will be games that run 120hz@4k,but are they the everyday games everyone plays? The next god of war is going to be 120hz@4k? Not a chance,not even an outside remote chance

Also there's always displayport,id love to see at least one port on each TV.

Halo MP is meant to be 120fps, resolution, frame rate, lighting/shadows, VFX/particles, polycounts, or good old fashioned sprite numbers is all a balancing act. Hitting that frame rate or even having it as an option maybe 60fps in campaign and 120 in MP might be while the game looks so lackluster.

Biggest thing for me as it's a big thing on PC is Variable Refresh Rates so you don't get screen tearing, and there's also HDR on HDMI 2.1. Another big thing is the auto low latency mode.

Personally think some future USB standard will replace HDMI and displayport at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Just wondering anyone reccomend any TVs for the PS4 pro with mind to future proof for the ps5 ?

Have a 2017 4k LG at the minute upstairs I like to call it 4k ready not true 4k was 43inch under 500 job.

Was thinking about this one ?

https://www.did.ie/lg-55-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-nanocell-smart-tv-black-55nano866na-55nano866na-prd?gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSOxQmIE0N9jXzutFwOs2OPRBFc5SlDwgomA5Ur6_xfr-yGg2cxSEz9RoC8SwQAvD_BwE#fo_c=1898&fo_k=ec4f79db9e45eb9a4033f79c059ea75c&fo_s=gplaie

As I know my older Tele is not a true 10 bit panel .

Just wonderinh anyone reccomend any TVs for the PS4 pro with mind to future proof for the ps5 ?

Have a 2017 4k LG at the minute upstairs u like to call it 4k ready not true 4k was 43inch under 500 job.

https://www.did.ie/lg-55-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-nanocell-smart-tv-black-55nano866na-55nano866na-prd?gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSOxQmIE0N9jXzutFwOs2OPRBFc5SlDwgomA5Ur6_xfr-yGg2cxSEz9RoC8SwQAvD_BwE#fo_c=1898&fo_k=ec4f79db9e45eb9a4033f79c059ea75c&fo_s=gplaie

Only the oleds have 4k120 capabilities. The 48 inch lg cx is €1500

Only the oleds have 4k120 capabilities. The 48 inch lg cx is €1500

Ah yeah not much difference , tis a lot of doe for the TV . May have a think on it. Sure including the potential ps5 looking at 2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Ah yeah not much difference , tis a lot of doe for the TV . May have a think on it. Sure including the potential ps5 looking at 2k

The one you linked in the D.I.D. site isn't 10 bit either

• Advertisement

The one you linked in the D.I.D. site isn't 10 bit either

Yeah saw that it's not oled alright , thought it was bit cheaper.May mull it over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

As someone who has the PlayStation in the bedroom (and the sitting room isn’t an option at the moment) Is it worth my time getting a 4K telly/monitor? I currently have a 32 inch standard HD telly from years ago and the most I could probably fit is 34.

Something like this is what I have been looking at: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JCF1TQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sTzpFbBYX1JP0

But I’ll probably just wait until prices drop.

Varik wrote: »
    Misspoke there, the XH950 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 so you can't really call it an full generation upgrade. It's a weird side step partial upgrade from the XG90.

So honestly as HDMI 2.1 is a big deal, I'd look at other brands if 49" is the max or have a think if 55" could work somehow with a different stand and raise the TV as it's got a vesa mount on back.

So ive done a bit of digging and found out the XF90 49" was actually maintained as a model into 2019. Alongside the introduction of the XG95 series that didnt have a 49" model,the XG90 49" only came tail end of last year. The kicker about the XG90 is its only 8 bit + FRC while the XF90 was proper 10bit.

Not realising this and after being told by the Reps the TV was the same just newer name i said i would accept it.

Now ill have to ring them tomorrow and say its a 10 bit panel or a refund. The main reason i went Sony was they had all the features i wanted at 49",a lot of brands cut features at that size.

Kinda pissed they were trying to pawn off the XG90 as equivalent,theres not even much info about it online. Its like they just wanted to make a cheaper 49" and released it under the radar.

Just wonderinh anyone reccomend any TVs for the PS4 pro with mind to future proof for the ps5 ?

Have a 2017 4k LG at the minute upstairs u like to call it 4k ready not true 4k was 43inch under 500 job.

The LG LED Nano90 can do 4k@120.

The Nano90 is €250 more than the one you've listed but the Samsung Q70T is comparable to that for the same price as the one you've listed as is the Sony XH90/X900h.

Currently the LG and Sony need firmware updates that they've not released yet to use some of the new features so no clue on that and some of the features for the Samsung and Sony are limited to a HDMI 2.1 source so they can't be tested.

In other words wait a bit.

But currently the Sony XH90 is better for the sub €1200 mark and the Samsung Q80T is another but €100 over the Sony or the Q70T and better in some cases. If I was getting something right now it'd be the Sony Xh90t but really you should wait a bit longer.

So ive done a bit of digging and found out the XF90 49" was actually maintained as a model into 2019. Alongside the introduction of the XG95 series that didnt have a 49" model,the XG90 49" only came tail end of last year. The kicker about the XG90 is its only 8 bit + FRC while the XF90 was proper 10bit.

Not realising this and after being told by the Reps the TV was the same just newer name i said i would accept it.

Now ill have to ring them tomorrow and say its a 10 bit panel or a refund. The main reason i went Sony was they had all the features i wanted at 49",a lot of brands cut features at that size.

Kinda pissed they were trying to pawn off the XG90 as equivalent,theres not even much info about it online. Its like they just wanted to make a cheaper 49" and released it under the radar.

The amount of work that goes into figuring out what's what is far too much for any random sales person.

When looking it's more narrowing it down and picking, you've to check if it's got a different number in Europe are there any differences between the models/regions and are there any difference between sizes. There are times where they change the panel type by size: VA, TN, IPS.

In a lot of cases the Sub 55" could be anything.

Varik wrote: »
    The amount of work that goes into figuring out what's what is far too much for any random sales person.

When looking it's more narrowing it down and picking, you've to check if it's got a different number in Europe are there any differences between the models/regions and are there any difference between sizes. There are times where they change the panel type by size: VA, TN, IPS.

In a lot of cases the Sub 55" could be anything.

It just seems the 49" XF 10 bit panel was still being made/sold well into 2019 with the XG 8 bit panel bridging the gap at the end of year to the XH series of 2020.

Its actually exhausting,especially as I was pretty happy with what I had:(

Also could be a useful bit of knowledge for anyone else who runs into a similar problem. I know a few here bought the XF90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

What's the best time to pick up last years model of televisions, do they get 'refreshed' by a certain month each year?

ronano wrote: »
    What's the best time to pick up last years model of televisions, do they get 'refreshed' by a certain month each year?

Probably January. Sale is on and stock is still easy to find. The new models usually come out around May.

Advertisement