Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads what's the equivalent of the ks7000 for 2017?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Flaccus wrote: »
    Thanks. It's gone back to Curry's. I fully expect to be waiting 3 months for a repair going by the horror stories I have heard. Incidentally they have an 8000 and a 7000 in the shop on display. Both had the issue. The back edges were literally hanging off. The 8000 series was the worst, once corner was protruding half and inch!! In fact I looked at all their TV's, and the 7000, 7500 and 8000 of which they must of had at least half a dozen between them, did not have flush backs. It shows how poor the fit and finish is on these yokes, even if it's only out by a few mm. Hopefully newer models have this issue resolved.

Did you phone Samsung direct ? . Samsung have a good service in Ireland . They probably would of had it repaired in you own house .

I wouldn't worry too much about the back cover as it is nothing more than a fancy dust cover and to keep hands away from some of the components . You can see that in the video above . The main structural chassis is all metal .

I must drop back into HN in Waterford and have a look at the KS8 and check out the back .

I hope you get it sorted soon .

Lads what's the equivalent of the ks7000 for 2017?

Iirc , Sammy don't release the newer models till around the mid March .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

For what it's worth i have this which i am using with an Xbox One S- it comes on offer regularly in Argos, i can't fault it at all. The last update severely lessened the input lag and added a HDR game mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

ibFoxer wrote: »
    For what it's worth i have this which i am using with an Xbox One S- it comes on offer regularly in Argos, i can't fault it at all. The last update severely lessened the input lag and added a HDR game mode.
    Nice.  Good price too.  Does it feel snappy in HDR game mode ?  I assume for the price it's not a 10bit panel and so doesn't do the 1000 nits of brightness needed for full HDR.  Still....at least the back didn't fall off it.

Nice.  Good price too.  Does it feel snappy in HDR game mode ?  I assume for the price it's not a 10bit panel and so doesn't do the 1000 nits of brightness needed for full HDR.  Still....at least the back didn't fall off it.

Yeah it looks and feels really good in HDR Game mode. I paid €599 but it was down at €489 a few weeks after and one of the other lads bought one. Only an 8 bit panel but it's plenty bright ;) And the build quality is great- is honestly recommend it to anyone.

Yeah it looks and feels really good in HDR Game mode. I paid €599 but it was down at €489 a few weeks after and one of the other lads bought one. Only an 8 bit panel but it's plenty bright ;) And the build quality is great- is honestly recommend it to anyone.
    Cool.  How do you find the black levels.  IPS panels are not supposed to be the best.  Does it actually look black when watching stuff or a bit washed out ?  Then again it's also direct led backlight and not edge lighting so I'd expect better chance of getting a more even backlight and less bleeding around the edges.
    The same TV (668V) with different stand is in Curry's for 549 euro.  Hmmmm.....
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uh668v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv/336940/397.0.0
    http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/ad1a123d

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's 10 bit(8 bit + FRC), so kind of 9 bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Has anyone an OLED set up? Thoughts? Thinking of delving in

• Advertisement

Cool.  How do you find the black levels.  IPS panels are not supposed to be the best.  Does it actually look black when watching stuff or a bit washed out ?  Then again it's also direct led backlight and not edge lighting so I'd expect better chance of getting a more even backlight and less bleeding around the edges.
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uh668v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv/336940/397.0.0

Blacks are perfect for me, but keep in mind my comparison is against an old LCD. But i find it to be a super TV, watching Netflix in particular is very nice. One of my favourite things is the sound- i have a soundbar but i hadn't it set up initially, and was using the internal speakers, the sound off the actual TV is phenomenal given that it's the built in speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The back covering of the tv has started to peel away on one corner.  It's gradually got worse.  The cover is held on with glue. Very annoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWbtNdI2xuw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUiZrSyPOM

How long had you the TV before it began to peel away?

The back covering of the tv has started to peel away on one corner.  It's gradually got worse.  The cover is held on with glue. Very annoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWbtNdI2xuw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUiZrSyPOM

How long had you the TV before it began to peel away?

About 3 months. Been a couple weeks now and of course nothing heard from Currys. Should have bought local store and paid a bit extra

Blacks are perfect for me, but keep in mind my comparison is against an old LCD. But i find it to be a super TV, watching Netflix in particular is very nice. One of my favourite things is the sound- i have a soundbar but i hadn't it set up initially, and was using the internal speakers, the sound off the actual TV is phenomenal given that it's the built in speakers.

I may consider one of these if Samsung repair from Currys drags on.

Review here which is pretty good but they say their is motion blur on movies. Also its the 49 inch which they say is a 10 bit panel with full HDR. Not sure the 43 inch is 10 bit.

http://www.s21.com/lg-49uh668v.htm

So Currys offered a refund or replacement as they had no idea how long a repair would take.  I took another KS7000 but opened it up in store and bottom right edge was coming away.  In the end I went for a repair and went for this which suits my room size better :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5287402/Trail/searchtext>SONY+TV.htm

It's got a 10 bit panel, ultra wide gamut and interestingly is the only Sony model that is a VA panel so excellent black levels (the 49 inch is IPS btw).  

As I sit in front of it, don't care about viewing angles.  Also HDR mode doesn't affect input lag which is around 33ms which is ok.  It's missing local dimming but black levels are so good on this it doesn't need it.  Zero bleed.  Tiny bit of DSE (dirty screen effect) which all LED's have. About the only thing that is needed for full HDR compatibility is the 1000 nits of brightness which my KS7000 had.  However the KS7000 can only maintain that for 20-30 seconds so it's not really a minus.  HDR that the Sony does is good enough and it has decent build quality.   Already watched a few programs on Netflix in 4k and pretty happy with it.  Gaming is pretty good too, no noticeable lag in 4K / HDR mode.   And the main thing is no spotlighting or light bleeding which is the sort of thing that drives me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

So Currys offered a refund or replacement as they had no idea how long a repair would take.  I took another KS7000 but opened it up in store and bottom right edge was coming away.  In the end I went for a repair and went for this which suits my room size better :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5287402/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY+TV.htm

It's got a 10 bit panel, ultra wide gamut and interestingly is the only Sony model that is a VA panel so excellent black levels (the 49 inch is IPS btw).  

As I sit in front of it, don't care about viewing angles.  Also HDR mode doesn't affect input lag which is around 33ms which is ok.  It's missing local dimming but black levels are so good on this it doesn't need it.  Zero bleed.  Tiny bit of DSE (dirty screen effect) which all LED's have. About the only thing that is needed for full HDR compatibility is the 1000 nits of brightness which my KS7000 had.  However the KS7000 can only maintain that for 20-30 seconds so it's not really a minus.  HDR that the Sony does is good enough and it has decent build quality.   Already watched a few programs on Netflix in 4k and pretty happy with it.  Gaming is pretty good too, no noticeable lag in 4K / HDR mode.   And the main thing is no spotlighting or light bleeding which is the sort of thing that drives me nuts.

That's the one i have. Haven't had one problem with it so far. Just the right size for my room too.

• Advertisement

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5287402/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY+TV.htm

That's the one i have. Haven't had one problem with it so far. Just the right size for my room too.
    I was kicking myself after I didn't pay the 50 euro extra and get the XD83 instead of the XD80.  Major difference being 800hz motion compensation and a 100hz panel instead of half that which is what the XD80 is.  However after browsing around on AVForums and AVSForums I discovered the XD83 is in fact an IPS panel (all sizes) which has great viewing angles but not great black levels (why Samsung use VA panels on their TV's).  In fact I found out the XD80 is also IPS except the 43 inch which is VA.  A complete fluke as I had assumed wrongly all Sony's were VA's.  I also think motion compenstation (interpolation) and hz doesn't matter a damn as it will always be a 60hz signal from your PS4 and any kind of interpolation just increases lag and gives you that weird soap opera effect.

One other good thing, is the built in sound is good enough for a bedroom with thin walls.  A sound bar would be over kill.

Btw, you have to go to external inputs, hdmi and enable enhanced mode if you want the TV to take advantage of PS4's HDR mode.  Also hdmi 1 is not supposed to be able to do 4k properly.  The side hdmi connections are recommended instead.  TV also seems to be on latest firmware.  Amazingly the input lag on the higher end Sony's (my friend payed over 2.5k for his) is totally pants.

The model i have is actually the 8099 but i think it's the same. HDMI 2 and 3 are the only one's that support a 4K signal.

When I was researching Sony 4k TVs I found all the model numbers and variations between models was confusing as hell.

A few times I almost bought one on amazon lightning deals but then I couldn't verify if the model on sale had X or Y features. Many people commenting were sometimes mentioning a different model altogether when discussing the one on sale.

From walking around the shops a good bit looking at TVs Sony has a few TVs that are very impressive looking. It would be nice if they simplified their line of TVs down to just a few models.

Yea, all those differing model numbers are a pain. One thing i would say is the build quality on their new 4K line of tv's is great. The one i have is so thin and takes up very little width on the stand. Reasonably priced for what you get too i thought.

Yea, all those differing model numbers are a pain. One thing i would say is the build quality on their new 4K line of tv's is great. The one i have is so thin and takes up very little width on the stand. Reasonably priced for what you get too i thought.

Even the xd80 here is the 800 something or other in US. Until I twigged that the user reviews on avforums were confusing as hell. Luckily the mid range this year is better at gaming than the high end sets. Still 869 in Argos while under Sony Ireland's rrp of 1099, is still expensive. Luckily ,150€ voucher from Christmas and I got back 1299 from Curry's on the Sammy ks7000. They tried to stiff me with 999 but I paid 1299 originally and they couldn't repair (unknown why) or provide a replacement of merchantable quality. Will avoid this shower for ever more. Not worth dealing with them when things go wrong

• Advertisement

Even the xd80 here is the 800 something or other in US. Until I twigged that the user reviews on avforums were confusing as hell. Luckily the mid range this year is better at gaming than the high end sets. Still 869 in Argos while under Sony Ireland's rrp of 1099, is still expensive. Luckily ,150€ voucher from Christmas and I got back 1299 from Curry's on the Sammy ks7000. They tried to stiff me with 999 but I paid 1299 originally and they couldn't repair (unknown why) or provide a replacement of merchantable quality. Will avoid this shower for ever more. Not worth dealing with them when things go wrong

I usually try avoid Currys/PC World too. Got mine in Powercity before Xmas for €800 and it came with a bonus 5 year warranty.

I usually try avoid Currys/PC World too. Got mine in Powercity before Xmas for €800 and it came with a bonus 5 year warranty.

Cool. Think the xd808088 is black and the 8077 is silver. As far as I know the Nov 2016 update makes all HDMI ports 4k compatible. Must test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

KS8000 here is call a KS7000 in EU.
    Samsung KS8000 LED TV vs Samsung Q7F QLED TV

Overall, our new QLED 2017 TV scores worse than all our KS* from last year, but not by much. Here are the notable differences with the KS8000.

Q7F has better design/build quality
    KS8000 gets significantly brighter, especially in SDR (528 nits for KS8000 in 50% window vs 317 nits for Q7F)
    KS8000 has better native contrast (6906:1 vs 5020:1)
    Q7F has better response time, especially 0% to 20%
    Q7F bigger color volume and gamut (roughtly 5% better)
    Even at the same price, most people would be slightly happier with the KS8000.

Going to wait to see how reviews of the MU8000 look but it's a cheaper TV so can't see Samsung releasing a better TV for less.

Even if 2017 isn't worth it over 2016, you'll likely still have price cuts.

Varik wrote: »
    KS8000 here is call a KS7000 in EU.

Going to wait to see how reviews of the MU8000 look but it's a cheaper TV so can't see Samsung releasing a better TV for less.

Even if 2017 isn't worth it over 2016, you'll likely still have price cuts.

KS8000 is the KS7000 here in the EU :P

I'm still chuffed with my 55" . Best value @€;1200 I ever spent on a tv ( I have spent more in the past )

KS8000 is the KS7000 here in the EU :P

I'm still chuffed with my 55" . Best value @€;1200 I ever spent on a tv ( I have spent more in the past )

By here I meant here in the quoted bit of text

By here I meant here in the quoted bit of text

Aye. I got that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I have a Samsung ku6670u 55 inch 4k just wondering what settings people are using with the pro

I tried a few various setups from the web but still not happy , seems like the dark parts are too dark most of the time but the bright pic is brilliant then

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

popsy09 wrote: »
    I have a Samsung ku6670u 55 inch 4k just wondering what settings people are using with the pro

I tried a few various setups from the web but still not happy , seems like the dark parts are too dark most of the time but the bright pic is brilliant then

Thank you

PM'd you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I cba reading 16 pages ;-p. anybody care to recommend best 55" + , 4k tv at the mo, will be used for ps4pro 1500~ budget

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Stuxnet wrote: »
    I cba reading 16 pages ;-p. anybody care to recommend best 55" + , 4k tv at the mo, will be used for ps4pro 1500~ budget

Thanks

TV wise a Panasonic or Samsung if you put 1200 euros towards it you will get a very good spec one.

I have the Panasonic DX802B 58 inch paid 1200 normally see them for 1500 fantasic TV and me speaking I rated it higher then q Samsung ks 7000

• Advertisement

Stuxnet wrote: »

Thanks
    I was in that budget region and I went with the 55" KS7000 for €1,200.

Its highly recommended by Digital Foundry for gaming.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-samsung-ks7000-4k-tv-review

It ticks many boxes. Great image, decent HDR and the lowest response time of 4K TVs released in 2016 (23ms in gaming mode)

I recommend going into the shops were 4K TVs are being sold to see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Thanks lads, appreciate the comments

New FW update for Sony Bravia 4K tv just downloading now. Not sure what it will do. Probably stability like the usual Sony updates.

Waiting until Black Friday to pick up the xe90 because it's supposed to be a cracker and has FALD.

If the usual price trends stay true it should be at or near €1200 by then from its €2000 (over)price now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just killed my gaming TV while redecorating the room. It was a great top of the range 1080p Sony from three years ago with 8ms response time, great picture and I felt absolutely no need to replace it with a 4K/HDR set.

Now begins the hunt. It just seems that it's not a great time to be buying one. Response times aren't great for most tvs with 4K coupled with HDR performance seems all over the place and there's the likes of Freesync etc coming down the line. Not sure what to do. I was really thinking about the LG OLEDs because all the cinephiles rave about them, but they're surprisingly ****e for gaming.

Just killed my gaming TV while redecorating the room. It was a great top of the range 1080p Sony from three years ago with 8ms response time, great picture and I felt absolutely no need to replace it with a 4K/HDR set.

Now begins the hunt. It just seems that it's not a great time to be buying one. Response times aren't great for most tvs with 4K coupled with HDR performance seems all over the place and there's the likes of Freesync etc coming down the line. Not sure what to do. I was really thinking about the LG OLEDs because all the cinephiles rave about them, but they're surprisingly ****e for gaming.

The Sammy KS7000 is a fantastic tv for gaming in 4k SUHD. It has the lowest response time of all the 4k tv's about at 22ms. It has a 10bit panel and is without a doubt the best bang for buck Premium HDR tv about + its at a great price at the mo @ €1130,
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/clearance/tv-audio-clearance/samsung-55-7-series-suhd-tv-ue55ks7000uxxu.html?utm_source=pricespy&utm_campaign=pricespy&utm_medium=referrer&utm_term=pricespy

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue49ks7000-review
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue49ks7000-201610234374.htm
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/samsung/1405210/samsung-ue49ks7000-review-an-amazing-4k-hdr-smart-tv-for-gaming-and-more
    https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ks7000-ue55ks7000-uhd-4k-tv-review.12659

I have the 55" and its fantastic . I know someone on here had a problem with the back peeling away and returned it to the shop , this was an issue on some of the first production models with the adhesive drying out . I have been keeping an eye on my one + 3 more display models in shops locally and none of these tv's exhibit this issue . The back is just a glorified non structural dust cover anyway,
    Watch from about 2.30mins on ,

Another great thing is the fact that the inputs section of the tv is separate from the main panel . All you have going to the panel is the power lead and a lead taking the input sources from the input box . I totally neatens up wall hanging .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 whiteRascal

The Sammy KS7000 is a fantastic tv for gaming in 4k SUHD. It has the lowest response time of all the 4k tv's about at 22ms. It has a 10bit panel and is without a doubt the best bang for buck Premium HDR tv about + its at a great price at the mo @ €1130,

Is this the KS7000 model your talking about?

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-49-7-series-suhd-tv-ue49ks7000uxxu.html

Or is this a cheaper one? Not sure what the UXXU means and can't find anything explaining it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Or is this a cheaper one? Not sure what the UXXU means and can't find anything explaining it online.

No, that's the one, I have it myself.
    Got the 49" from richersounds.ie for E999, although they don't seem to have the 49" there at the moment.

I'm running my XB1s and my PS4 on it and it's nothing short of fabulous!!

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-49-7-series-suhd-tv-ue49ks7000uxxu.html

Yes. That is the 49" version you have linked to. For another €130 you can buy the 55" . If you have the space for the larger 55" .
    ;;)

• Advertisement

Lads is anywhere still selling the 49KS7000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Look at the post before yours.

Look at the post before yours.

I did already but it's a dead link.

Harvey Norman still have them in store. Some still have the 55" KS7 , ph around.

The 55" was €1130 last week in HN .

I warned you a few months ago that they would be scarce :P The 55" seems to be hard to get now.

The newer model 55" is €1800 ,
    https://www.soundstore.ie/samsung-55-uhd-hdr-1000-2000-pqi-led-tv-freesat-ue55mu7000.html

The mu7000 isn't as good as the ks7000.

Not sure if this is an actual mu7000, or renumbered mu8000 if Samsung continued their European numbering. So it's either a bit worse, or a nice bit worse than a EU ks7000.

Haven't seen Sony's xe 8 yet but the more expensive 9 are getting good reviews. Latency still worse than Samsung.

• Advertisement

XE8 nothing to write home about, the older XD8 is probably better. Same for the MU6000 the 2016 KS6000 (especially since it's a higher spec than the US one)are better and much cheaper. The Q7 isn't great compared to the KS7000 either, and the KS7000 is much cheaper.

So either get a KS7000 for the Price/performance or wait for the sales near the end of the year for the Sony XE9.

Few places offering deals for the Sony XE900 with soundbars and such, so if you've the cash and were going to get both anyway it's a good deal. A KS7000 which is harder to fine in 55" is proabbay a better buy or you could get the KS7500 which is the curved one and a bit more available.

XE8 nothing to write home about, the older XD8 is probably better. Same for the MU6000 the 2016 KS6000 (especially since it's a higher spec than the US one)are better and much cheaper. The Q7 isn't great compared to the KS7000 either, and the KS7000 is much cheaper.

So either get a KS7000 for the Price/performance or wait for the sales near the end of the year for the Sony XE9.

Few places offering deals for the Sony XE900 with soundbars and such, so if you've the cash and were going to get both anyway it's a good deal. A KS7000 which is harder to fine in 55" is proabbay a better buy or you could get the KS7500 which is the curved one and a bit more available.

The XE9005 seems to be taking the XD8500's spot from last year, so I'm hoping it'll come down to €1200 like XD85 did Black Friday. For that price it'll be a superb TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Here's a question:

The new Xperia XZ Premium has the worlds first 4K HDR smartphone screen.

Using remote play, could you play in HDR on your phone?

Sony also have the dock for connecting their phones to the PS4 controller?

Am I barking mad? Would this work?

The XE9005 seems to be taking the XD8500's spot from last year, so I'm hoping it'll come down to €1200 like XD85 did Black Friday. For that price it'll be a superb TV

Going to just wait personally, that or get another KS7000.

The XE930 is more but it's input latency is comparable to the Samsung, but there could be some updates in the future that would improve the lower TVs.

And the sales could completely change the value for money of each TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I think I'm sold on the XE9xx series from Sony. Will be waiting for the sales though. It's getting harder to find a decent spec tv under 47 inches. I'll be replacing a 42 and I don't want anything bigger for the room it'll be in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement