Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Sonys x93e and Samsungs qled tvs for 2017 look stunning. Prices haven't been announced yet but will no doubt be astronomical.

For price I was going for a high end LED, but if prices come down on last years B6 LG OLED I think I'll go for that.

Only thing that's keeping me back (bar the €2k cost atm) is that it's nowhere near as bright as LED for really exceptional HDR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Anyone got any opinions on this LG: http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/43uh661v/lg-43uh661v

It's the cheapest 10 bit(8 bits + FRC) that I've found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

F1ngers wrote: »
    Anyone got any opinions on this LG: http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/43uh661v/lg-43uh661v

According to this thread, ( https://www.avforums.com/threads/thoughts-on-lg-43uh661v.2030978/ ) ... Currys have the exact same TV , but it comes with the magic remote . Here it is in the Irish stores,
    http://www.currys.ie/product/lg-43uh668v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv/336940/397.0.3

There's loads a good reading in that thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

F1ngers wrote: »

I have the 49" version (49UH661V) which, AFAIK, is the exact same TV except for the size, obviously.

I have it connected to a PS4 Pro. Looks brilliant to me but I have to be honest and say I have nothing to compare it against as its our first PS4.

The Smart elements of the TV are fine (Netflix, YouTube etc). I've played plenty 4k and HDR stuff from those apps and from the PS4 Pro as well and all look great.

For the price and the fact it is 10bit(8bit+FRC) it is a good compromise.

Anyone know where to find the lag times for it with HDR on and off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I've had two 3 year old samsungs kick the bucket not so long ago. As far as reliability is concerned they are very middle of the road, certainly not up there with panasonic and sony but a good bit better than the bargain basement vestel sets all the same.

They are cheaper to buy than the two big japanese brands for a reason.

What model Samsung TVs did kick the bucket on you?

Interested to see are they close to any of the one's I have... :)

I've never had an issue with any Samsung panel and have bought 4 in the last as of now, 12 years....

I think certain people can be lucky with certain things, I bought a crap couch from Harvey Norman years ago that went to **** after a year or so, I just won't buy from them again...

Never had any TV go kaput on me touch wood, except bar an inherited CRT my parents gave me about 30 years ago for my C64...

That doesn't count, and it wasn't a Samsung... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Fieldog wrote: »
    What model Samsung TVs did kick the bucket on you?

Interested to see are they close to any of the one's I have... :)

I've never had an issue with any Samsung panel and have bought 4 in the last as of now, 12 years....

I think certain people can be lucky with certain things, I bought a crap couch from Harvey Norman years ago that went to **** after a year or so, I just won't buy from them again...

Never had any TV go kaput on me touch wood, except bar an inherited CRT my parents gave me about 30 years ago for my C64...

That doesn't count, and it wasn't a Samsung... :)

Had two tvs go kaput myself, both plasmas. The first one was a pre-hdmi 720p LG that ended up with a big purple band on the screen after 3 years. Switched it for a 720p Samsung and the main capacitors blew after another 3 years, which would have cost €450 to replace. Switched it for a 1080p 3D Panasonic for €800 as Powercity were clearing their plasmas at the time, has been running since 2011 without a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Nearly bought a Pro and a 55" 4K TV today to replace my old 40" 1080p Samsung and launch PS4.

Reserved them in Argos and then measured the boot/back seat of my car and realised the 55" TV wouldn't actually fit in there.

Lol, i'm dumb.

Debating whether to get a 49" or 43" set instead but Sony seem to recommend getting a large-ish size TV for the Pro :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Had two tvs go kaput myself, both plasmas. The first one was a pre-hdmi 720p LG that ended up with a big purple band on the screen after 3 years. Switched it for a 720p Samsung and the main capacitors blew after another 3 years, which would have cost €450 to replace. Switched it for a 1080p 3D Panasonic for €800 as Powercity were clearing their plasmas at the time, has been running since 2011 without a problem.

Seems to be common with certain brands, my friend had an LG that died a month out of warranty, put me off them at the time...

Hopefully I won't suffer any grief with our new 4K one in the kitchen... :)

I always liked Sony TV's though, even though I never owned one...

I went from an old Phillips 21" CRT to Samsung 32 inch HD, was some jump back in the day... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Nearly bought a Pro and a 55" 4K TV today to replace my old 40" 1080p Samsung and launch PS4.

Reserved them in Argos and then measured the boot/back seat of my car and realised the 55" TV wouldn't actually fit in there.

Lol, i'm dumb.

Debating whether to get a 49" or 43" set instead but Sony seem to recommend getting a large-ish size TV for the Pro :confused:

Neither.... get the 55 delivered. The difference of 6" screen size is huge. Well worth the extra hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Neither.... get the 55 delivered. The difference of 6" screen size is huge. Well worth the extra hassle.

Depends where the tv is going. I got the Bravia 43xd8099 for my room and it's plenty big. No way a 55" would fit in the space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

So I dithered and didn't take the plunge on the ue55ks7000

Now when I am finally ready, it's gone!

I can only see Currys with it listed, and their price has gone up by €70 and also zero in stock. It's no longer on the powercity or Harvey website

R.F. wrote: »
    So I dithered and didn't take the plunge on the ue55ks7000

Now when I am finally ready, it's gone!

I can only see Currys with it listed, and their price has gone up by €70 and also zero in stock. It's no longer on the powercity or Harvey website

I warned my cousin about this as well . He was dithering about buying one as well ,and now the prices are starting to climb again . Samsung did the same with the H6400 a few years ago . It was as low as €575 and a few months later was as high as €850 . As soon as Samsung decide to clear out a model , you need to be on it for the best deal as the price seems to climb back up as soon as they clear the bulk of their stock.

Soundstore will knock a few quid off normally . I was offered a 55" for €1100 cash in Soundstore ,but I would have to wait a few days for delivery ,I went with Curry's for €1200 with an extended warranty as I got it on the day .

Try Soundstore over the phone or instore if it's close to you,
    http://www.soundstore.ie/samsungue55ks7000uxxu-55-superior-ultra-hd-4k-2100-pqi-led-tv.html

The 49" is still 1k in most stores ,
    http://www.soundstore.ie/samsungue49ks7000uxxu-49-superior-ultra-hd-4k-2100-pqi-led-tv.html

It's a cracking set .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads does anyone know when the new range of tv's typically are released? I'm thinking of getting the 49ks7000 but considering waiting to see if there is a better choice in 2017.

Lads does anyone know when the new range of tv's typically are released? I'm thinking of getting the 49ks7000 but considering waiting to see if there is a better choice in 2017.

And the new one will cost a lot more to boot :P

The KS7 has a 10bit panel , that's all that's really important at the moment as it's the latest tech .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

http://www.soundstore.ie/panasonic-tx58dx802-58-4k-pro-2000hz-led-tv.html

Thats my bad boy paid 1200 for it on Stevens day i rate this a lot higher then the samsung KS7000 see both side by side you will see a huge difference.

Have watched 4K HDR blu rays, PS4 pro gaming, Netflix 4K HDR and how cow batman the picture is nuts from it.

I was watching a series of unfortunate events last night on Netlfix on it and the coulors and everything just pops from the screen its fantastic and no Back light issues like the Samsung KS7000.

http://www.soundstore.ie/panasonic-tx58dx802-58-4k-pro-2000hz-led-tv.html

Thats my bad boy paid 1200 for it on Stevens day i rate this a lot higher then the samsung KS7000 see both side by side you will see a huge difference.

Have watched 4K HDR blu rays, PS4 pro gaming, Netflix 4K HDR and how cow batman the picture is nuts from it.

I was watching a series of unfortunate events last night on Netlfix on it and the coulors and everything just pops from the screen its fantastic and no Back light issues like the Samsung KS7000.

I'll take the 10bit panel any day as it does real HDR ;)

The Panny also suffers from the problems you mention for the Sammy,
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/panasonic-tx-58dx802b-1325809/review

" One potential issue is that while the 58DX802's panel can take in 10-bit UHD/HDR signals, the panel itself is only an 8-bit affair. This could have an impact on its colour resolution – although I'm hopeful, at least, that the 3D look-up table system will be working hard to counter this limitation.

Also noteworthy is the failure of the 58DX802 to meet the specifications recommended by the Ultra HD Alliance's Ultra HD Premium certification scheme. This is a little alarming, although I personally believe there's a place for non-Ultra HD Premium HDR TVs that still give a pretty strong sense of what HDR is about without costing the earth "

The Sammy is SUHD approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Why do you call them Sammy and Panny ?

s8n wrote: »
    Why do you call them Sammy and Panny ?

commonly called that on the forums worldwide :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'll take the 10bit panel any day as it does real HDR ;)

The Panny also suffers from the problems you mention for the Sammy,
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/panasonic-tx-58dx802b-1325809/review

" One potential issue is that while the 58DX802's panel can take in 10-bit UHD/HDR signals, the panel itself is only an 8-bit affair. This could have an impact on its colour resolution – although I'm hopeful, at least, that the 3D look-up table system will be working hard to counter this limitation.

Also noteworthy is the failure of the 58DX802 to meet the specifications recommended by the Ultra HD Alliance's Ultra HD Premium certification scheme. This is a little alarming, although I personally believe there's a place for non-Ultra HD Premium HDR TVs that still give a pretty strong sense of what HDR is about without costing the earth "

The Sammy is SUHD approved.

It's shortsighted imo to just look at the panel bit depth and rate a tv on that alone. The Panasonic has 8 bit+frc which can create the wide range of colors that a 10 bit panel can. It mightn't meet the uhd hdr premium but I don't know why you find alarming, reviews say it's not far off the 902 which is hdr premium certified.

The samsung has good specs on paper for the money but it definitely isn't as well made as the panasonic, nor is it as good in terms of picture quality in the real world and the sound is also far poorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

commonly called that on the forums worldwide :P
    Not from what I've read !!

• Advertisement

It's shortsighted imo to just look at the panel bit depth and rate a tv on that alone. The Panasonic has 8 bit+frc which can create the wide range of colors that a 10 bit panel can. It mightn't meet the uhd hdr premium but I don't know why you find alarming, reviews say it's not far off the 902 which is hdr premium certified.

The samsung has good specs on paper for the money but it definitely isn't as well made as the panasonic, nor is it as good in terms of picture quality in the real world and the sound is also far poorer.

I know thats why i went for it as its not far off at all and sadly the Panasonic is way better picture wise i had Panasonic Plasma for years and it had fantastic picture on it only think that let it down it used to eat the ESB to power on.

There is a reason why the Panasonic costs more then the samsung ;). When i had the Agent who fixes Samsung, LG and Panasonic we told me go for the Panasonic as you wont be sorry its costly for a reason as its better made in his own words.

Panasonic also comes with a sound bar and has a fantastic sound to top it off. And if you look at in person as well its a way better looking TV.

s8n wrote: »
    Not from what I've read !!

Maybe you need to spread yourself around a bit more.

I do not trust Panasonic as a brand anymore . I have provided my reasons for this on this thread before. I have good experiences with Samsung .

I have an external amp ,so sound is not a priority for me , and , I think the panny is fugly :)

I do not trust Panasonic as a brand anymore . I have provided my reasons for this on this thread before. I have good experiences with Samsung .

I have an external amp ,so sound is not a priority for me , and , I think the panny is fugly :)

Many people don't. Their tv's aren't all that reliable and use cheaper components compared to the big two japanese companies. Just look all the problems they had with those cheap cr@ppy capacitors they used in their tvs.

Many people don't. Their tv's aren't all that reliable and use cheaper components compared to the big two japanese companies. Just look all the problems they had with those cheap cr@ppy capacitors they used in their tvs.

You keep coming out with this vague crap argument about Samsung using cheap capacitors in their TV's as a basis to bash the TV's that the largest manufacturer of TV's in the world produces . Samsung produce many models of TV from the basic , cheapo models to the top end , premium models . Panasonic will sell their name to any company that spits out any old crap as long as they make a profit off their brand,

Here's a company that mass produces tat that Panasonic is happy to lend it's name to,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestel

Do you notice that Samsung is not on that page ?

As for the 10bit panel vs 8bit thing... you obviously do not understand what it is . here is a video that is a little over 5mins long explaining the difference , here take a look,

I can tell you that having the 1000nit brightness that comes with SUHD certification makes an amazingly , stunning difference , but you have to take my word for that as you obviously haven't seen the light yet . The Revenent in 10bit 4k is stunning . You feel like you should be wearing sunglasses to stop yourself going snowblind while watching it ...and I have always hated bright TV's , but it looks natural . It's very hard to describe , you would have to see it to understand .

On a side note ... Panasonic send a technician to stores to set up their top end tv's for that stores particular lighting so that , when a customer arrives , the Panny's always stand out so that they get sales ... but when you get them home , they are just normal tv's that you will have to adjust like every other to suit the conditions .

;)

You keep coming out with this vague crap argument about Samsung using cheap capacitors in their TV's as a basis to bash the TV's that the largest manufacturer of TV's in the world produces . Samsung produce many models of TV from the basic , cheapo models to the top end , premium models . Panasonic will sell their name to any company that spits out any old crap as long as they make a profit off their brand,

Here's a company that mass produces tat that Panasonic is happy to lend it's name to,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestel

Do you notice that Samsung is not on that page ?

As for the 10bit panel vs 8bit thing... you obviously do not understand what it is . here is a video that is a little over 5mins long explaining the difference , here take a look,

I can tell you that having the 1000nit brightness that comes with SUHD certification makes an amazingly , stunning difference , but you have to take my word for that as you obviously haven't seen the light yet . The Revenent in 10bit 4k is stunning . You feel like you should be wearing sunglasses to stop yourself going snowblind while watching it ...and I have always hated bright TV's , but it looks natural . It's very hard to describe , you would have to see it to understand .

On a side note ... Panasonic send a technician to stores to set up their top end tv's for that stores particular lighting so that , when a customer arrives , the Panny's always stand out so that they get sales ... but when you get them home , they are just normal tv's that you will have to adjust like every other to suit the conditions .

;)
    I understand perfectly well about 8 bit and 10 bit panels and nits. The panasonic 802 is 500 nits and isn't going to be as bright as the samsung but it's the better all around package when it comes the pq and build and sound quality imo. The difference in hdr isn't as big as you make out.

Samsungs capacitor problems is far from me spouting "vague crap" as a basis to bash their tvs, it's a massive problem that plagued their tvs, an issue that many, many people have experienced. A google search will tell you that.

It's one of the reasons why they are the no 1 tv maker in terms of marketshare as they are able to undercut the competition by making cheaper tv's, using cheaper components.

Vestel only make entry level panasonic tv's, namely the 300 and some of the 400 series. These are best avoided ,it's easy enough to tell the difference between these and the real panasonics.

The 500 series and up are all real panasonics.

And I will add to it the guy who done the report on my broke old LG 4k TV told me In his own words that the main boards fail in the samsungs for no reason what do ever as they use cheaper parts then the Panasonic.

He also said that the specs on the Samsung are mostly lies and never to belive them as they re word the normal term name for the product under there own standard and give it a crazy big number but really it's the same if not lower then other makers.

The Panasonic I have holy cow batman it fells and looks like it cost 1200 euros as there is very little plastic in the TV only the back off it while the front and stand is all. Metal one of the main reasons I went for the Panasonic as my old LG was made of plastic and the plastic cracked twice on the unit from just sitting there on the TV unit.

As I said there is a reason my the high end Sony and panasonic TV cost more then a Samsung....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

So, it would seem a good few have 4K tv's now. What are your thoughts on HDR? It is being pushed as the big thing now but i'm not really that blown away by it myself. I know if you are willing to shell out a couple of grand for the top specs then maybe it would be more noticeable but for me that price was just not going to happen. When i play a HDR enabled game i can see a bit of an improvement in colours but it's not wowed me.

J.D. Power Crowns Samsung & Sony Winners In 2016 TV Satisfaction Report ,

http://www.twice.com/news/tv/jd-power-crowns-samsung-sony-winners-2016-tv-satisfaction-report/62325

Says it all really.

• Advertisement

J.D. Power Crowns Samsung & Sony Winners In 2016 TV Satisfaction Report ,

http://www.twice.com/news/tv/jd-power-crowns-samsung-sony-winners-2016-tv-satisfaction-report/62325

Says it all really.

Those surveys are meaningless tbh. Talk to anyone that repairs tvs, or even do a google search for samsungs capacitor problems.

Advertisement