Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Those surveys are meaningless tbh. Talk to anyone that repairs tvs, or even do a google search for samsungs capacitor problems.

Google search " samsungs capacitor problems " , first page results " https://www.google.ie/search?q=samsungs+capacitor+problems&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gws_rd=cr&ei=F698WNfcKceYgAbE65DIDw "

If you are unfortunate enough to encounter the problem on the older Sammy models that you keep harping on and on about , it will cost you about €10 to sort out , at home on your own :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Google search " samsungs capacitor problems " , first page results " https://www.google.ie/search?q=samsungs+capacitor+problems&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gws_rd=cr&ei=F698WNfcKceYgAbE65DIDw "

If you are unfortunate enough to encounter the problem on the older Sammy models that you keep harping on and on about , it will cost you about €10 to sort out , at home on your own :rolleyes:
    We don't know how the latest sets are yet, the capacitors fail at 2+ years.

As for costing €10 at home to repair :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

thought there was nothing worse than console fan boys, guess I was wrong :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

While I would not open my own 1200 euro TV if you pay me as I rather have someone proper look at the TV as no way I do it myself and the fact I have 5 years cover now on the Panasonic I am delighted that if something goes wrong I am covered

Also it won't be 10 euros you need a new main board that over 100 euros....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Google Panasonic 7 blinks of death.

All manufacturers tend to have some issues. Neither Samsung nor Panasonic are immune to this. But I think the likelihood of these situations occurring is being overstated.

I had a Panasonic for about 4 years and no issues. Had a Samsung for about 6 and also no issues. Have had a Philips for one year and loads of problems. Now I'm getting a new Samsung next week.

All manufacturers will go for a cheaper or less reliable part if they can, and sometimes, they cause issues. Happens to pretty much every manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Penn wrote: »
    Google Panasonic 7 blinks of death.

All manufacturers tend to have some issues. Neither Samsung nor Panasonic are immune to this. But I think the likelihood of these situations occurring is being overstated.

I had a Panasonic for about 4 years and no issues. Had a Samsung for about 6 and also no issues. Have had a Philips for one year and loads of problems. Now I'm getting a new Samsung next week.

All manufacturers will go for a cheaper or less reliable part if they can, and sometimes, they cause issues. Happens to pretty much every manufacturer.

The 7 blinks of death reffers to plasmas only and was a problem with the screws securing the psu being loose afaik.

Im not saying panasonic or sony are perfect but they are in general far more reliable than the 2 korean brands.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The 7 blinks of death reffers to plasmas only and was a problem with the screws securing the psu being loose afaik.

Im not saying panasonic or sony are perfect but they are in general far more reliable than the 2 korean brands.

You keep harping on about Sony and Panasonic being superior products compared to Samsung. Please provide any evidence you have of this. I have backed up all my statements about all brands with links to verify my statements . You just seem to have an opinion about your statements , and that's it .
    You remind me of this,

I know that the top end TV's from the Japs are better than the Korean brands , but when comparing on a price for price basis , this test fails as the Koreans have it in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

It baffles me how people can argue so easily about the brand of things like consoles, mobile phones and now TV's.

It baffles me how people can argue so easily about the brand of things like consoles, mobile phones and now TV's.

I was not arguing about a brand . Johnboy26 keeps singling out Samsung TV's and saying that they are inferior and badly made TV's . This is not a true statement imo . The evidence when gathered from available sources does not support his assumption .
    The name of this thread is " TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR " Some ppl are genuinely coming in here for advice on a tv for the PS4 . It is not fair to keep harping on about a brand being unreliable and being cheaply manufactured when the evidence just does not back up this .

Many of us in here have or have had Samsung TV's , and I'm sure many of us have not had any problems with our Samsung TV's . If you listen to what Johnboy26 keeps saying , you would expect every Sammy tv to burst into flames or just dissolve on your wall after 2yrs . This is just not true .

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Many of us in here have or have had Samsung TV's , and I'm sure many of us have not had any problems with our Samsung TV's .

To add to this...

I've had Samsung TV's since the PS3 days - going from a TV with 720p support, then 1080p support, then 3D support right up to my current model the Samsung KS7000 which offers 4K/HDR10 support for under a grand.
    I've never had a days trouble with any of these TV's or experienced issues with build quality, but realise that might not be the case for all, which is the same for every other brand out there.

The reason I tend to choose Samsung TV's usually follows months of research on review sites (techradar, AV Forums, Rtings etc.) and consumer reviews on Amazon and the like, to find out which TV will give me the most bang-for-my-buck and more often than not Samsung TV's come out on top, as was the case with the KS7000. So far this TV has been a revelation in terms of performance and I'm more than happy with my purchase as I expect anyone else that decides to buy one will be.

I find it intriguing reading through this thread to see someone advising people here against buying a Samsung KS7000 because (in their opinion) the TV they've decided to purchase instead of a KS7000 is the better TV despite countless review sites stating the opposite to be true. It smacks of choice-supportive bias to me.

The best advice I can give to anyone looking to buy a new 4K TV for gaming is to do your research, gathering as much info/opinions as possible, so when you do decide to buy the TV you'll know it's going to meet or possibly even exceed your expectations as the KS7000 has mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Downsides? It runs Android TV, which is a heap of ****e.

One of the big selling points for me was that Sony now use Android. I've tried Samsung and hated the software. I have my Sony since June. It came loaded with Netflix and I've seen added kodi and Amazon video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Has anyone has an issue with the back plastic cover coming away on their Samsung KS7000.  Looks like it's only glued on and seems to be a fairly widespread issue.  Very annoying.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Has anyone has an issue with the back plastic cover coming away on their Samsung KS7000.  Looks like it's only glued on and seems to be a fairly widespread issue.  Very annoying.

What cover exactly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I presume he means the back of the tv where it meets the edges of the screen.

I presume he means the back of the tv where it meets the edges of the screen.

I've just check mine and it seems fine.

I just found this,

I thought I read that this issue was sorted later in the manufacturing process.

The back covering of the tv has started to peel away on one corner.  It's gradually got worse.  The cover is held on with glue. Very annoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWbtNdI2xuw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUiZrSyPOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had the same kind of issue with my old LG TV.

It cracked twice in the same stop ended up haveing to fight power city in small claims court..... To get my refund as a TV should not crack ha

I went to 3 stores today to see if any of the display models had this problem . I didn't find any with the issue . The one that's on display in my local Harvey Normans and PC World are on all the time and where without the problem . I kinda remember reading somewhere that it was an issue in the early production models , maybe you have one . Definitely contact Samsung about the issue . I think the later models had a stiffer back panel fitted .

Look at this video of a replacement back being fitted,

I hope you get it sorted .

Ps , if you want to compare serial numbers , giz a pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone who got one of the Samsung 2016 Samsung tv the time to get your 10 year screen burn warranty is up either at the end of the month or the end of next month.

Only remembered I didn't do this yet yesterday.

I went to 3 stores today to see if any of the display models had this problem . I didn't find any with the issue . The one that's on display in my local Harvey Normans and PC World are on all the time and where without the problem . I kinda remember reading somewhere that it was an issue in the early production models , maybe you have one . Definitely contact Samsung about the issue . I think the later models had a stiffer back panel fitted .

Look at this video of a replacement back being fitted,

I hope you get it sorted .

Ps , if you want to compare serial numbers , giz a pm.

Thanks. It's gone back to Curry's. I fully expect to be waiting 3 months for a repair going by the horror stories I have heard. Incidentally they have an 8000 and a 7000 in the shop on display. Both had the issue. The back edges were literally hanging off. The 8000 series was the worst, once corner was protruding half and inch!! In fact I looked at all their TV's, and the 7000, 7500 and 8000 of which they must of had at least half a dozen between them, did not have flush backs. It shows how poor the fit and finish is on these yokes, even if it's only out by a few mm. Hopefully newer models have this issue resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads what's the equivalent of the ks7000 for 2017?

Thanks. It's gone back to Curry's. I fully expect to be waiting 3 months for a repair going by the horror stories I have heard. Incidentally they have an 8000 and a 7000 in the shop on display. Both had the issue. The back edges were literally hanging off. The 8000 series was the worst, once corner was protruding half and inch!! In fact I looked at all their TV's, and the 7000, 7500 and 8000 of which they must of had at least half a dozen between them, did not have flush backs. It shows how poor the fit and finish is on these yokes, even if it's only out by a few mm. Hopefully newer models have this issue resolved.

Did you phone Samsung direct ? . Samsung have a good service in Ireland . They probably would of had it repaired in you own house .

I wouldn't worry too much about the back cover as it is nothing more than a fancy dust cover and to keep hands away from some of the components . You can see that in the video above . The main structural chassis is all metal .

I must drop back into HN in Waterford and have a look at the KS8 and check out the back .

I hope you get it sorted soon .

Lads what's the equivalent of the ks7000 for 2017?

Iirc , Sammy don't release the newer models till around the mid March .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

For what it's worth i have this which i am using with an Xbox One S- it comes on offer regularly in Argos, i can't fault it at all. The last update severely lessened the input lag and added a HDR game mode.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    For what it's worth i have this which i am using with an Xbox One S- it comes on offer regularly in Argos, i can't fault it at all. The last update severely lessened the input lag and added a HDR game mode.
    Nice.  Good price too.  Does it feel snappy in HDR game mode ?  I assume for the price it's not a 10bit panel and so doesn't do the 1000 nits of brightness needed for full HDR.  Still....at least the back didn't fall off it.

Nice.  Good price too.  Does it feel snappy in HDR game mode ?  I assume for the price it's not a 10bit panel and so doesn't do the 1000 nits of brightness needed for full HDR.  Still....at least the back didn't fall off it.

Yeah it looks and feels really good in HDR Game mode. I paid €599 but it was down at €489 a few weeks after and one of the other lads bought one. Only an 8 bit panel but it's plenty bright ;) And the build quality is great- is honestly recommend it to anyone.

ibFoxer wrote: »

Yeah it looks and feels really good in HDR Game mode. I paid €599 but it was down at €489 a few weeks after and one of the other lads bought one. Only an 8 bit panel but it's plenty bright ;) And the build quality is great- is honestly recommend it to anyone.
    Cool.  How do you find the black levels.  IPS panels are not supposed to be the best.  Does it actually look black when watching stuff or a bit washed out ?  Then again it's also direct led backlight and not edge lighting so I'd expect better chance of getting a more even backlight and less bleeding around the edges.
    The same TV (668V) with different stand is in Curry's for 549 euro.  Hmmmm.....
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uh668v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv/336940/397.0.0
    http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/ad1a123d

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's 10 bit(8 bit + FRC), so kind of 9 bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Has anyone an OLED set up? Thoughts? Thinking of delving in

• Advertisement

Cool.  How do you find the black levels.  IPS panels are not supposed to be the best.  Does it actually look black when watching stuff or a bit washed out ?  Then again it's also direct led backlight and not edge lighting so I'd expect better chance of getting a more even backlight and less bleeding around the edges.
    The same TV (668V) with different stand is in Curry's for 549 euro.  Hmmmm.....
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uh668v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-led-tv/336940/397.0.0
    http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/ad1a123d

Blacks are perfect for me, but keep in mind my comparison is against an old LCD. But i find it to be a super TV, watching Netflix in particular is very nice. One of my favourite things is the sound- i have a soundbar but i hadn't it set up initially, and was using the internal speakers, the sound off the actual TV is phenomenal given that it's the built in speakers.

Advertisement