Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want our coverage back...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am pretty sure Ryle Nugent manages an underage football team. I doubt he does it just to appease some angry internet posters. I reckon, and this may shock some, that Ryle Nugent actually likes football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Basil3 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that rugby can be enjoyable to watch regardless of who you're playing. The same can't be said for football....especially a lot of international football.

Well that all depends on your preferences doesn't it.

If you don't like rugby (which many people don't) then a game isn't going to be enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I am pretty sure Ryle Nugent manages an underage football team. I doubt he does it just to appease some angry internet posters. I reckon, and this may shock some, that Ryle Nugent actually likes football.

No one named Ryle can possibly be a fan of the beautiful game, roysh? :p

Well that all depends on your preferences doesn't it.

If you don't like rugby (which many people don't) then a game isn't going to be enjoyable.

Well this is coming from someone who enjoys both sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Funny thing is that rugby can be enjoyable to watch regardless of who you're playing. The same can't be said for football....especially a lot of international football.

Thats unfair, it depends on how much you like a sport. A 0-0 draw can be a great game in soccer, but if you don't like the game you will think is terrible.

Same for rugby, Ireland v Canada is too predictable already, we are just waiting for them to cave and then run the scores in. I will enjoy this also if its a good standard, but if poor standard it be a terrible game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Rugby will never have an Italia ’90 moment, rugby will never have the types of moments when GAA teams win an All-Ireland for the first time, or after a long wait or a anything like that.

Utter tosh, It doesnt matter if you are big into rugby or not, this will go down as one of the great iconic moments of Irish sport

Was it Steve Hansen who said that rugby had become boring, with the focus on defence and kicking? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, in any sport tactics can be engaging in their own way. Just that not all share your view that rugby is enjoyable all the time, even those within the game.

Well this is coming from someone who enjoys both sports

Again that depends on the individual.

the idea that somehow one sport is more watchable than another is complete bollox.

the idea that somehow one sport is more watchable than another is complete bollox.

Yeah, I was mainly comparing Irish national football and Rugby sides, neglected to mention that :D

I fully realise both sports can be dire to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

wonga77 wrote: »
    Utter tosh, It doesnt matter if you are big into rugby or not, this will go down as one of the great iconic moments of Irish sport

Very true it will, but it didnt compare to the party when Bonner made that save against Romania.

Soccer is a bigger sport here and gets more of the general public attention.

Think the consensus after the last rugby WC was that all the teams in one hemisphere were hard to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The difference is that people in RTE who alk about the Rugby seem to love the sport whereas people who work in the soccer department haven't a good thing to say about the game. It's the exact same thing about Gaelic football Vs Hurling. If the people who are leading the coverage can say nothing positive about it then it's no wonder it's always pushed to the side.

Think the consensus after the last rugby WC was that all the teams in one hemisphere were hard to watch!

Can you not enjoy them all? I love watching Rugby despite never having played or been involved, I love soccer, I love Gaelic. I'm not so hot on watching a lot of hurling matches but I do see the attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'll be honest, I don't agree with some of the opinions about rugby in here and the All Blacks win, it was a great win for sure. However, I certainly don't agree with this either, even clarifying to mean it just about Ireland. It's not an equal comparison when you play against a number of much, much more varied teams with differing qualities. If the Irish rugby team were playing against 3 or 4 teams like Australia, 1 or 2 more like New Zealand and about 5 or 6 like France/England, the varying degrees of performance quality wouldn't always be enjoyable to watch as by ratio you'd lose a lot more.

Jayop wrote: »
    The difference is that people in RTE who alk about the Rugby seem to love the sport whereas people who work in the soccer department haven't a good thing to say about the game. It's the exact same thing about Gaelic football Vs Hurling. If the people who are leading the coverage can say nothing positive about it then it's no wonder it's always pushed to the side.

The hurling love in by broadcasters versus their take on Gaelic football is a good comparison. Hurling is just really "in" at the moment, though it may have passed in the last year or 2 when there were mutterings about poor championships.

• Advertisement

Can you not enjoy them all? I love watching Rugby despite never having played or been involved, I love soccer, I love Gaelic. I'm not so hot on watching a lot of hurling matches but I do see the attraction.

Of of course.

My main complaint is not so much the excessive coverage that Ryle Nugent and co. give rugby, I said if anything the IRFU deserve praise for selling their brand, it's still the FAI's appalling track record in promoting their sport.

I think loving the sport and criticism/non criticism are 2 different things. There's plenty wrong with football but so much exciting about it as well, people wouldn't watch it otherwise. I've found the GAA analysts quite critical over the past few years actually, especially about the dull championships etc, which if it was the same in football it would be magnified, criticised and used by other sports fans as a stick to beat the sport with.

Corholio wrote: »
    I think loving the sport and criticism/non criticism are 2 different things. There's plenty wrong with football but so much exciting about it as well, people wouldn't watch it otherwise. I've found the GAA analysts quite critical over the past few years actually, especially about the dull championships etc, which if it was the same in football it would be magnified, criticised and used by other sports fans as a stick to beat the sport with.

The difference between the punditry and analysis on Sky as opposed to RTE is night and day. While sky stay the right side of sycophantic and provide insightful analysis on what actually happened during the game and not how the game was better 30 years ago like RTE do, every time.

IN fairness to RTE they've taken a step in the right direction by dumping Giles who was by a mile the worst for constantly pining for the 60's again. Honestly Giles could have prerecorded some comments 15 years ago and played them after every single game and you wouldn't know the difference. Now they need to get rid of Dunphy and Brady and allow the guys who are coming in to take center stage. They won't do that though because punditry is now supposed to be "entertainment" in their eyes. It's not though, the game is the entertainment and the pundits are supposed to explain the game better for the lay man. That's something that the 3 amigos on RTE never did.

After almost every GAA match I watch on Sky I feel I know more about the game because of something McGuiness or one of them will say that I never would have spotted myself. That's what the soccer lads should be aiming for.

That's because negativity sells.

The media then push for more of it once it's starts attracting attention.

Pat Spillane admitted in one of his books he was asked by RTE to basically copy what Dunphy did.

The difference between the punditry and analysis on Sky as opposed to RTE is night and day. While sky stay the right side of sycophantic and provide insightful analysis on what actually happened during the game and not how the game was better 30 years ago like RTE do, every time.

Can't say I agree with that. Yes RTE pundits do talk about some of that but that's only part of it, people make the mistake of not listening to the rest of the analysis that they do, and do very well. RTE always analyse what happened during the game too, it's after it that they veer into it at times. People like Kerr and Cunningham are great analysts, I'd much prefer them analysing a game, during and after, than Redknapp, Niall Quinn or Alan Smith that's for sure. Some of the Irish pundits tell a lot of home truths about the English game as well, which the entire Sky team rarely ever go near.

• Advertisement

That's because negativity sells.

The media then push for more of it once it's starts attracting attention.

Pat Spillane admitted in one of his books he was asked by RTE to basically copy what Dunphy did.

Just because some plonker in the RTE Sport department thinks it's a good idea doesn't mean it actually works.

Surely the bigwigs in ITV, BBC, Sky Sports would be filling their chairs with Dunphy characters if what you said was true. In fact, this negativity seems to me to be unique to RTE Sports as I've never seen it at another channel. Dunphy, Spillane, Hook all at it. Yet the English channels with all their money and market research go happy happy on their coverage as a rule.

Can't say I agree with that. Yes RTE pundits do talk about some of that but that's only part of it, people make the mistake of not listening to the rest of the analysis that they do, and do very well. RTE always analyse what happened during the game too, it's after it that they veer into it at times. People like Kerr and Cunningham are great analysts, I'd much prefer them analysing a game, during and after, than Redknapp, Niall Quinn or Alan Smith that's for sure. Some of the Irish pundits tell a lot of home truths about the English game as well, which the entire Sky team rarely ever go near.

I did refer to the new generation of pundits in the next paragraph that you didn't quote. I think they are much better to watch and I might be in the minority actauly enjoying Saddlier too. Kerr can be excellent and Cunningham is good. Hamman is very enjoyable to listen to.

I'm specifically talking about the 3 amigos when I'm being negative./

I did refer to the new generation of pundits in the next paragraph that you didn't quote. I think they are much better to watch and I might be in the minority actauly enjoying Saddlier too. Kerr can be excellent and Cunningham is good. Hamman is very enjoyable to listen to.

I'm specifically talking about the 3 amigos when I'm being negative./

If it was just them then yes I'd agree with that. I like Sadlier too, I think he's mostly suspicious of everything :P, which makes for good punditry because at least he'll question things.

If it was just them then yes I'd agree with that. I like Sadlier too, I think he's mostly suspicious of everything :P, which makes for good punditry because at least he'll question things.

And who doesn't enjoy the fact that Cunningham's eyebrows seem to have developed their own independent consciousness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yet the English channels with all their money and market research go happy happy on their coverage as a rule.

Someone forgot to tell Scholes.

He moans a bit but nothing on the scale of RTE's lads. And at least he's relevant.

Just because some plonker in the RTE Sport department thinks it's a good idea doesn't mean it actually works.

Surely the bigwigs in ITV, BBC, Sky Sports would be filling their chairs with Dunphy characters if what you said was true. In fact, this negativity seems to me to be unique to RTE Sports as I've never seen it at another channel. Dunphy, Spillane, Hook all at it. Yet the English channels with all their money and market research go happy happy on their coverage as a rule.

I dread it myself but unfortunately I think a lot of people in this country love it. Remember whinging and complaining about everything is what we are best at in Ireland.

People thought Dunphy having different opinions than the mainstream was great even when he would talk complete bollox.

I dread it myself but unfortunately I think a lot of people in this country love it. Remember whinging and complaining about everything is what we are best at in Ireland.

People thought Dunphy having different opinions than the mainstream was great even when he would talk complete bollox.

Eamon Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But you forget that win will have an effect on what seed we be in the world cup

and every game that Ireland play in football also effects their seeding for World Cups and Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Suppose if you look at it this way?

What has Irish national soccer team ever won? Nothing.

What has the rugby team won?

6 nations and grand slams!

Even if there was a 6 nation soccer tournament, we get our ass kicked.

I am a big fan of irish soccer, but its terrible to watch, just look at the Georgia game.
    We are a poor man's team that gets lucky an odd time.

Just for the record the Republic of Ireland won the Nations Cup in 2011 beating Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland without conceding a goal.
    Republic of Ireland also won both the U16 and U18 European championships under Brian Kerr, a huge achievement considering soccer is Europe number 1 sport by a mile.
    If you think Irish soccer is terrible to watch ignore the National team and watch Dundalk who have played truly fantastic football in both the Champions League qualifiers and Europa league.
    Also for the record I think the win over the All Blacks was both historic and brilliant but also agree coverage off Irish soccer is very poor by RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

...RTE sports still seem to be basking in the "success" of or rugby team finally beating one of the few other teams that play the game. Our embarrassing record stretching back over a century almost erased in the hysteria and overreaction, grown men crying blah blah blah. Similarly Newstalk seem to be full on rugby - are we playing Canada this weekend? It's as if they have forgotten we have a rather crucial competitive football match coming up. The FAI PR department must be one of the worst around, maybe they're focussed too much on spreading the good news that John has a woman and loves her very much to think about stuff like ensuring national broadcasters devote time to the game.

Awful awful points here.
    First off, yes newstalk covered the Ire NZ match a lot, but have you not listened to the show during the week. Kilabne and Dunne going through their starting 11s. Dan on also, they have a football show for an hour every evening, except friday, they have live football every sunday, and also they have Austria v Ireland live tomorrow.

Slag the fai all you want. But any sports fan knows there is a big qualifier on tomorrow.
    You say rte have been basking in the success, sure they didnt even have the match on live. What are you on about???

I like most sports, and rugby is one of them. It was a great result last week. It is to be enjoyed and the team is to be praised. If you dont like rugby, turn it off, and stop moaning on here about it.

If you dont like rugby, ok, well then dont watch it, listen to it, read about it, and most of all dont post about it on the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You have to hand it to the IRFU and the provinces, they are a hell of a lot better at promotion than the FAI or GAA.

All a lot of GAA fans did was moan and hand wring when Sky extended it's contract to show games,the conveniently forgot that many of the games on Sky would never see air time if left up to RTE.

Regarding the soccer,at least the lads on Off the Ball on Newstalk have had comprehensive coverage of the build up to tomorrow's Ireland game.RTE have had feck all.

Pfff beating the all blacks in a test match in the US. The world cup is where it counts in rugby and frankly Ireland always get their arses handed to them. Let the hype machine build them up again for the next world cup and sit back and watch it all crash in flames again.

You slag the irish rugby team, ok fair enough, not excellent on the world stage. But some pretty positive results since the sport went professional, beating Australia in 2011 and france in 2015 were very good results. 6nations results have been very good for the majority of that period too.

In euro 2012 and 2016, Ireland on got to the last 16 of the tournaments. Were they achievements???
    But we beat Romania on peno 26 years ago, woopdie fcuking do!!!

enzo roco wrote: »
    You slag the irish rugby team, ok fair enough, not excellent on the world stage. But some pretty positive results since the sport went professional, beating Australia in 2011 and france in 2015 were very good results. 6nations results have been very good for the majority of that period too.

In euro 2012 and 2016, Ireland on got to the last 16 of the tournaments. Were they achievements???
    But we beat Romania on peno 26 years ago, woopdie fcuking do!!!

Yes.Qualifying for the European Championships actually involves getting past some decent opposition, qualifying for the last 8 of the RWC involves getting past a couple of mickey mouse teams.10 or 11 teams play rugby at a decent level and we haven't got past the last 8 in the 8 editions of the RWC which is an extremely poor record.

We got far too carried away with the victories over Australia and France which proved to be completely meaningless because the team flopped when it really mattered in the knockout stages.

...and most of all dont post about it on the soccer forum.

Um, 15 people liked the OP, topic on 6th page, you've posted on it twice now, so I'll decline your demand...if it's all the same to you?

Um, 15 people liked the OP, topic on 6th page, you've posted on it twice now, so I'll decline your demand...if it's all the same to you?

Great argument, what about the rest of the post...

Stop crying that the rugby got more attention that your beloved football for a few hours.

Yes.Qualifying for the European Championships actually involves getting past some decent opposition, qualifying for the last 8 of the RWC involves getting past a couple of mickey mouse teams.10 or 11 teams play rugby at a decent level and we haven't got past the last 8 in the 8 editions of the RWC which is an extremely poor record.

We got far too carried away with the victories over Australia and France which proved to be completely meaningless because the team flopped when it really mattered in the knockout stages.

I dont think they were, in uefa, there are 50+ teams. Only 6 are very good...

But but the irish team flopped in 2012, and then Belgium in 2016, but I think the french match was a positive performance.

And I feel bad belittling the Irish team, but Im only counter arguing for the rubbish in this thread, slagging the rugby team when its uncalled for and ridiculous
    But have a read of the Belgium v Ireland thread if you want to read abuse about the Irish football team... I look forward to the abuse the irish team will get tomorrow if we dont get a result in vienna.

I dont think they were, in uefa, there are 50+ teams. Only 6 are very good...

But but the irish team flopped in 2012, and then Belgium in 2016, but I think the french match was a positive performance.

And I feel bad belittling the Irish team, but Im only counter arguing for the rubbish in this thread, slagging the rugby team when its uncalled for and ridiculous
    But have a read of the Belgium v Ireland thread if you want to read abuse about the Irish football team... I look forward to the abuse the irish team will get tomorrow if we dont get a result in vienna.

There are ten times as many soccer teams across the world at a decent standard, they have much more competition to face than the rugby team have.

The soccer team get tonnes of abuse whenever they perform badly.The often get abuse even when they get a good result because they don't do it with enough style.

Great argument, what about the rest of the post...

Stop crying that the rugby got more attention that your beloved football for a few hours.

The whole "rugby's great, rugby, the win against Australia in 2011, more rugby, and RTE didn't even cover the game..." stuff? Sure what was I to say "...um....well done for the Australia win and pity RTE didn't buy the rights to the NZ match...though they certainly got in on the celebrating".

As for your crying - you'll like that reference - about rugby getting a slagging here, boo hoo, search "soccer" in the rugby forum and you'll see that it doesn't exactly get universal approval. But again that's to miss the main point, as I have repeated a few times, which is the FAIs slipshod approach to marketing and PR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Suppose if you look at it this way?

What has Irish national soccer team ever won? Nothing.

What has the rugby team won?

6 nations and grand slams!

Even if there was a 6 nation soccer tournament, we get our ass kicked.

I am a big fan of irish soccer, but its terrible to watch, just look at the Georgia game.
    We are a poor man's team that gets lucky an odd time.

Well someone is obviously forgetting about our historic winning of the nations cup

But you forget that win will have an effect on what seed we be in the world cup

Every game in both sports effects the world rankings. It actually surprised me last week with well informed soccer fans telling me that there are no friendlies in rugby due to the fact it effects world rankings - so does our annual victory vs Oman :)

Getting to the last 16 in a football tournament is for me a better achievement than last 8 in rugby (as that is the default) and I d think the rugby players are more loved by a media keen for some sort of homegrown heros . But to be honest the sports don't need to compete with each other, in the era of podcasts if you don't like what's on there are always replacements or alternatives.

Hats off to the irfu for their promotion of the game vs Canada! The fact it is on at a nice time in a Saturday does help as alot at it will combine it with night out

But again that's to miss the main point, as I have repeated a few times, which is the FAIs slipshod approach to marketing and PR.

I just think they have a less attractive package to market, at this present point in time.....at least when compared to other sports.

I just think they have a less attractive package to market, at this present point in time.....at least when compared to other sports.

Between clubs and country we've never had such an impact on the European stage as we had in 2016. And now we're into the qualifiers for the biggest sporting event of all. If the FAI marketing department can't capitalise on that, they are truly hopeless.

Between clubs and country we've never had such an impact on the European stage as we had in 2016. And now we're into the qualifiers for the biggest sporting event of all. If the FAI marketing department can't capitalise on that, they are truly hopeless.

I don't think uefas spreading out of the qualifying games helps at all as it has diluted the whole thing and led to over exposure.

If England Scotland was on at 745 tomorrow for example I serious probably watch it but now I can't be arsed. Equally Ireland at home on a Thursday night is a harder set than a Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Ireland qualify automatically for the rugby world cup every four years, always have two minnows in the group stage to hammer but have still failed to get past the quarter final stage.

despite winning triple crowns (yawn) and six nations titles, as well as regularly beating the southern hemisphere teams in november games

now that is under-achievement in a major tournament!

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Ireland qualify automatically for the rugby world cup every four years, always have two minnows in the group stage to hammer but have still failed to get past the quarter final stage.

despite winning triple crowns (yawn) and six nations titles, as well as regularly beating the southern hemisphere teams in november games

now that is under-achievement in a major tournament!

I don't think they're ever been ranked in the top 4 going into a world cup, but I guess if belittling their achievements makes you feel better...

Bit off topic but were we not ranked 2nd in 2015?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Bit off topic but were we not ranked 2nd in 2015?

Maybe at some stage. 6th at the last rankings going into the tourney, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think they're ever been ranked in the top 4 going into a world cup, but I guess if belittling their achievements makes you feel better...

Its not belittling their achievements.

They have never achieved anything worth talking about at a RWC, there is nothing to belittle.

Anyway on the soccer v rugby coverage.

I think international soccer is very well covered by RTE.
    Each Ireland game is live and get about an hour or more of analysis, and a hpur long highlights show soon after.

I really don't care for rugby so I don't take much heed to it when its on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

And once again, the powers that be in RTE decide to cut short the post match analysis of one of Ireland's greatest away wins in a world cup qualifier, shunting it onto the RTE player in order to go to coverage of the egg chasers' friendly international against Canada. Canada, FFS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement